Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
wvParticipantRight.
And Dem Voters prefer the guy who doesnt want Medicare For ALL.
Biden-Voters are lucky that I am not GOD.
w
vMarch 13, 2020 at 8:50 pm in reply to: notes from expert panel on the virus & other expert views #112243
wvParticipantcapitalism and the virus:https://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/03/12/i-did-math-katie-porter-gets-trump-cdc-head-commit-making-coronavirus-testing-free?cd-origin=rss&utm_term=AO&utm_campaign=Daily%20Newsletter&utm_content=email&utm_source=Daily%20Newsletter&utm_medium=Email
———
Common Dreams site‘I Did the Math’: Katie Porter Gets Trump CDC Head to Commit to Making Coronavirus Testing Free
“We live in a world where 33% of Americans put off medical treatment last year, and we have $1,133 expense just for testing for the coronavirus.”
by
Eoin Higgins, staff writerDemocratic firebrand Rep. Katie Porter on Thursday extracted a commitment from Centers for Disease Control director Dr. Robert Redfield to use his authority under federal regulations to waive the cost of coronavirus testing for all Americans.
“I did the math,” said Porter, holding up a whiteboard on which she wrote the associated costs to the total $1,331 bill.
“We live in a world where 40% of Americans can’t even afford a $400 unexpected expense,” said Porter. “We live in a world where 33% of Americans put off medical treatment last year, and we have $1,133 expense just for testing for the coronavirus.”
Noting that the prohibitive expense of the test could discourage poorer Americans from getting tested, Porter demanded Redfield use his legal authority under the Code of Federal Regulations to waive the cost.
After a back and forth in which Porter called Redfield’s attempts to avoid committing to covering the cost “not good enough,” the California Democrat finally got Redfield to commit to using his authority under 82 CFR 6975 to waive the costs of testing.
Watch the full exchange:…
Progressives praised the California Democrat’s latest standoff with a Trump administration official and noted that Porter and Redfield’s exchange had real-world, positive consequences for the country.
“Representative Katie Porter just got CDC director Robert Redfield to commit to making coronavirus testing free for anyone regardless of insurance,” tweeted the Atlantic’s James Hamblin. “That’s big.”
Crooked Media’s Priyanka Aribindi simply stated her admiration.
“Katie Porter is fucking phenomenal,” said Aribindi.
wvParticipantForming an actual progressive if not fully left third party. Not sure if it should be the Progressive Party, the People’s Party or something else. It’s worth the effort because the Dems will NEVER give an inch to the left or even move back just to the center. They’re a center right corporate neolib neocon party and as long as they have corporate backers so that they don’t have to answer to the people, they won’t.
====================
Thanks for posting, Mack. I know the site is super-slow, etc, but itz all we got 🙂
At any rate, we already got a progressive party. The one Jill Stein and Ralph Nader ran on — Green Party.
Now, what would happen if, instead of getting the usual 2 percent of the vote, the Green Party was able to command 7 or 8 percent. Or somethin like that. It wouldnt take that many Dem-Progressives to do that.
That would mean the Progressives would have some clout. The Dems would HAVE to make deals if they wanted to win these close elections with the Thugs.
Now maybe its not the time for that. Maybe voting for the Imperalist-mass-murderer-Biden, and thus beating the Biosphere-murderer-Trump is more important this time around. I dont know. But I for one, would LOVE to see Prog-Dems start a dialogue WITH the Green Party and at the very least THREATEN to join. Start a movement. Make the switch. Get millions to switch. Whats the fucking down side to that? None. The greens could always still do the lesser evil thing in the general election if they wanted to.
I could go on 🙂
Btw, most of us around here are fucking OLD. Some of us might not make it thru this Pandemic. Let us be grateful for the time we have spent ranting about injustice, together 🙂 Carry on, All.
w
v
wvParticipantPeople are pissed now. And I think you absolutely WILL see a decrease in Leftist turnout for Biden this time….
….
….This is because the DNC would rather lose to Trump than win with Sanders. THEY are to blame for this. The media will blame the Left. And THIS time they will at least most likely have evidence that supports that. And when the DNC actually BELIEVES that the Left cost them the election, maybe THEN it will start to do something about it.==================
Well, ok, but we (leftists) have been down this road over and over and over. None of this is new, as you know.
So, what…exactly…should…leftist VOTERS do with their VOTES. (I am not asking about what they should be doing with the other 364 days of the year…)
I am basically asking, why shouldnt all the leftists get together and say “fuck the democrats” lets vote for the Green Party. And keep voting Green UNTIL the Dems give us SOMETHING. Some crumbs. Some Policies. SOMETHING.
I know it would mean Reps would be elected. I get that. But it would also mean, eventually the Dems would HAVE to come to the table with SOMETHING.
Unlike now.The argument I always here is (as you know) Trump is just TOO Awful to consider, blah blah blah.
Problem with that is i heard the same thing about Bush. Its always the same argument.
How long do leftists play a LOSING game? Same Old Sorry ASS Lesser-Evil Game.
I think its worth playing — ONLY IF — the left actually gets SOMETHING> Thats how coalitions work in Europe.
w
v
wvParticipant
wvParticipantBtw…if you watch the whole vid…notice Krystal Ball’s anger. I see it SOOOOOO often among my leftist comrads. That anger.
There should be a word for it. Leftist + Anger.
Langer?
Angtist?
Lage? (Left Rage)w
v
wvParticipantGovernement Virus-policies will help the wealthy more than the poor,
naturally.
wvParticipant<
You know WV-I consider you an internet friend. You may not feel the same. I can’t help that. In any event you just called Joe Biden a “murderous imperialist”. You also called him a “shitbag”.In another post above you called him a “mass murderer”. That type of vitriol is precisely why many cannot take seriously the supporters of Sanders and are in fact put off by it. It certainly does not do anything for the advancement of the ideas expressed by Sanders. What’s also concerning is that over the years your attacks have almost always been against democrats. I have not read a negative word from you about Trump-the worst President in the hx of this nation. Every post of yours contains the word “corporatocracy” but not one word about Trump who is doing insurmountable damage to our judicial system-an arena we both work in. Nothing about how he is dismantling medicaid -a health safety net for the poor. Nothing about his desire to get rid of medicare. Nothing about his racist and mysogynistic views. Simply put, nothing about the man who has disdain for the less fortunate. Corporations will always be here but the evils of corporatocracy will only enlarge with this man should he have another 4 years of executive decisions. Anyway, I wish your arrows could sometimes be pointed in another direction.
================Good post. Glad to hear you think of me as an internet-friend. Good to know.
As for me, i think of you as an internet-friend too.
But of course you are a friend with FUNDAMENTAL political differences.
So, it makes it hard when we talk politix. People all over the country are challenged by friend or family ‘civil wars’ over politics these days.
We cant always agree. Ah well.As for me not slamming Trump. BillyT has mentioned that too. I dunno what to tell ya — I feel like i slam Trump and the Reps plenty. I have said I agree with Chomsky — “The Republican Party is an existential threat to all life on the planet.” Thats what Chomsky said. I agree with it. I’ve said that.
Its just a ‘given’ to me. Its like saying the Bengals are dysfunctional. Just a given.Our ‘fundamental difference’ is NOT on the murderous, biosphere-killing, anti-science, anti-poor, racist, sexist, greedy, hypocritical, lying, willfully-ignorant, SHIT-BAG-Republithugs.
Our differences are on the Democrats. We agree on the Rep-Thugs.
Fwiw, and i KNOW you dont agree with this — but this is WHY i use the term ‘murderer’ to describe Biden. And Clinton. And Obama. I mean the word, literally.
Lets say, the FBI or CIA showed up in a police captain’s office in your town, and said, “We have solid information, that a terrorist/murderer is living/meeting in the house next to Waterfield’s house. And lets say, the Captain of the police looked at the ‘evidence’ and without a trial, simply ‘decided’ to send a police drone-bomb into the house next to yours. Now the captain did indeed ‘try to avoid civilian casualties’ by sending the drone bomb in at night, on a Sunday, etc.
But the bomb took out many rooms in the building in question plus part of your house. ‘Innocent’ lives were torn apart. Body parts everywhere. The captain didnt really keep track or report to the press how many people were killed. “Collateral damage” was kept to a ‘minimum’ is what the captain reported to the Press. And the Press really wasnt interested in who was killed or how many. Only that a “murderer” was “eliminated” in this Just and Holy American “War On Murderers.”Now. Would that be ok with you? If American Police acted that way?
No, it would not. You’d call it murder, yes?But Biden/Obama did that regularly. ONLY difference is, the murdered people were not Americans living in America. They were human beings living in other countries. Mainly brown people, living in the middle east.
So…that…makes it…not murder? Why?I agree with Chomsky. Every modern president has been a mass murderer. Doesnt have to be that way. It…doesnt.
I know you see it totally differently.wv
PS — Jimmy Dore suggests on youtube that Progressives/Bernie should extract some sort of deal from Biden in return for supporting him. Unlike last time when progressives just gave their support over to Hillary. I dunno why in the world progressives would trust Biden, but I do wonder if Bernie will try and work out some sort of agreement with Biden.
wvParticipantMark Mane La Flare@BossmanJiggetts
Rest of the NBA season got cancelled so I went downstairs and talked to my family. They seem like nice people.==============
LoL.
w
v
wvParticipantI dunno. I dunno anything anymore.
…..Bernie Sanders is a rare man in politics, and he is the kind of politician literally everybody says they ideally want: honest and dependable. The fact that this man – who has spent his entire life fighting on behalf of poor and marginalized people – has been smeared for 4 years by the Democrat establishment as a sexist threat to democracy, tells you everything you need to know about how much the Democrat party actually cares about ordinary people.
=======================
You really think Biden is a lesser candidate than Hillary? I dont agree on that. From what I’ve heard (on Fox news 🙂 ) Hillary’s ‘negatives’ are WAY higher than Bidens. Biden is just this ‘bland’ drab, boring, typical Dem. Like John Kerry, Al Gore, Dukakis.
BUT, he worked with/for OBAMA. And he doesnt have the big negatives Hillary had.
Centrists, conservative-professional-moderate-Reps, and Dems are not gonna care that he’s senile. They dont care. They just want the National-Security-Ship-Of-State to run smoothly. A senile President can do that just fine. (Think Radar and Colonel Blake)It all comes down to Progressives. If they hold their noses and vote for that lowlife CIA-loving, pro-corporate, imperialist, murderous, shitbag – Joe Biden will be the next President.
And btw, I jus wanna make it clear that i TOTALLY respect the view that progressives should or will vote for the lesser evil, and thus vote for the murderous imperialist Joe Biden. Its a perfectly reasonable decision. Chomsky has talked endlessly about it over the years. I’ve done it myself in the past.
For me personally, though, there came a time i just decided i wont do it anymore.
Its got nothing to do with WV being a Red-State or any other ‘calculation’ like that. Its hard to explain. Its a conscience thing. Coupled with a recognition of what the system is. Frankly I may not even vote at all the rest of my life. I havent decided on that. I lean toward voting Green, but i may not vote anymore.
…my vote has moved to Thailand, perhaps 🙂PS — this virus could put the nation in a bad mood. Not good for Trump.
w
v
wvParticipantSo you don’t have to worry about people here making an “ideological choice” against a guy they otherwise know to be a solid candidate. Far from it. That is not what’s happening.
…
========================
I think Biden can beat Trump. It would be very close. Biden has the backing of the National-Security-State and all the usual Banks and Corporations and various parts of the Corporate-Capitalist Death-Machine. Absolutely, he can win. He just needs a few more votes than his counterpart, Hillary. And he should get them, if more Blacks turn out this time.
His Mental Deterioration will not bother Older voters, i dont think. Heck they might find it endearing, the way voters found Bush’s stupidity endearing.
If he does lose, it will be because Progressives just couldnt vote for another mass-murderer. 🙂 Will Progressives vote for him in numbers? He’s already giving lip-service to progressives and bernie etc. Biden’s people know who they need. I ‘think’ enough progressives will vote for him that he will win. (I wont be voting for a mass-murderer myself, but blah blah blah)
So, yeah Biden will beat Trump, I think.
I also think Bernie could beat Trump. But Biden will be the nominee now as we all know.
Centrists can label a vote a “statement” vote whatever that means, but thats just the centrist-mindset at work. I vote my conscience. I wont vote for a mass-murderer. Biden was part of Obama’s Drone-murder scheme, etc. Either murder matters or it doesnt.
w
v
wvParticipant“…my people are being misinformed…”
wvParticipantJoe Byedumb and DNC want cancel the debate and not let the “system play out” and “play by the rules”
Keep fighting Mr Sanders!!! These young voters need to vote!
….
===============
I didnt figure Bernie would drop out. For him, Its about the ideas and the debate and the long-term-progressive-movement and the young people at this point.Bernie:
“A short while ago, I gave a brief statement to the press about our campaign, and where we go from here. I want to share some of those thoughts with you today, and to ask you, once again, for your financial support.If you can do that now, please use this link to contribute $2.70:
https://act.berniesanders.com/go/forward
Let me start by saying that last night was not a good night for our campaign from a delegate point of view.
We lost the largest state of the night, Michigan, but we won in North Dakota and currently lead in the state of Washington, the second largest state of the evening.
But what has become more and more apparent, with each passing primary, is that while we are currently trailing in the delegate count, we are strongly winning the debate about the future of our country.
In poll after poll after poll, including exit polls, a strong majority of the American people support our progressive agenda.
The American people are deeply concerned about the grotesque levels of income and wealth inequality in this country.
The American people believe it is time for the wealthy and profitable corporations to be paying their fair share.
The American people understand that the federal minimum wage is a starvation wage and that it is time to raise it to a living wage of $15 an hour – nothing less.
The American people understand that if our kids are going to make it into the middle class, we must make public colleges, universities and trade schools tuition free.
The American people understand that we cannot continue a cruel and dysfunctional health care system where we are spending twice as much per capita as any other nation, yet 87 million of our neighbors remain uninsured and underinsured.
And that last point is becoming more and more obvious to the American people as we face the challenge of the coronavirus. Imagine a pandemic where 87 million people have a difficult time going to a doctor.
The American people understand that climate change is an existential threat to our planet and we need to transform our energy system away from fossil fuels.
The American people understand that we need to transform our broken and racist criminal justice and immigration system that locks up four times as many people as communist China and leaves millions here at home living in fear.
But it is not just the ideological debate we are winning.
We are winning the generational debate as well.
While Joe Biden does well with older Americans, especially those over 65 years old, our campaign continues to win a vast majority of younger people in this country.
But while we are winning — very clearly — the ideological debate, we are losing, right now, the electability debate.
I cannot tell you how many people I and our campaign have spoken to that tell me that they like what our campaign stands for but they are going to vote for Joe Biden because they believe he is the best candidate to beat Trump.
Needless to say, I strongly disagree.
So, on Sunday, I very much look forward to debating Joe Biden about these issues in Arizona. This will be the first 1-on-1 debate of this campaign, and I am eager for the American people to see which candidate — which agenda — is best positioned to defeat Donald Trump, the most dangerous president in modern American history.”
wvParticipantBut for a guy that thinks he’s a ‘realist’ and pragmatic and all, you dont appear to have actually listened to actual black people much.
I just said this to W…can we reign it in a bit? In terms of the tone we as posters take with one another.
=====================
Well, I wasnt feeling any ‘heat’ really. I dunno how my post came across, but I wasn’t ‘reacting’ or ’emotionally’ invested in the racism accusation. I was just pointing out that yes, many black people vote against their own interest, out of loyalty to Obama…etc. And many whites do the same thing — see the Trump election.
w
v
wvParticipantWe know whats hurting Bernie. Bernie didnt work for an African-American President.
I didn’t vote for Biden because he worked for Obama. If I was black I would find your comment highly offensive. Not just because it is clearly racist but it also smacks of the very elitism that so many of us find discomforting with the far left. You discount black men and women who might just believe Trump can only be beaten by Biden; that Biden might be able to usher in a democratic controlled Senate; that Biden might be better for the country on issues that we all face. It doesn’t matter whether or not blacks are correct in their views. What matters is that whether you know it or not African Americans actually have VIEWS and OPINIONS. Whites do not have a monopoly on the ability to think. If you want to know what bothers most people about so called “progressives” just re-read the above quote. Its repugnant.
=================
I’m sure you do, indeed think that. Thats fine, i dont care.
But for a guy that thinks he’s a ‘realist’ and pragmatic and all, you dont appear to have actually listened to actual black people much. There are a gazillion vids and podcasts involving african-americans who flat-out aver that they voted for Obama BECAUSE HE WAS BLACK. They practically brag about it. Its not a big secret. Its totally ‘understandable’ given the long horrific history of white-racism in this country. Biden was Obama’s guy. Plenty of mainly mid-age, and older Black people feel loyal to the Obama legacy. This is just politics 101.
w
v
wvParticipantThe usual corporate suspects dont want to see Biden debate Bernie anymore…
wvParticipant“the left doesn’t owe Biden their vote”
“shoot me vs. stab me candidates..”
wvParticipantHow cool is that.
==
Yeah, you have no idea how much shit i give my fantasy-loving friends. I seem to know numerous people who love the fantasy book and movie genres. And they play D and D a lot. And they are leftists.
And I’m always giving them shit because the fantasy genre is almost totally full of rightwing assumptions. The ‘rebels’ fight to regain the throne for the ‘good’ King. etc, and so forth.
So, I’m always asking them WHEN someone is finally going to start using leftist themes in the Fantasy world. Its like a mantra for me. I drone on about it all the time.
And then this D and D thing came along. So yes, very cool. Where the fuck has it been all these years…
The left has SOOOOO far to go in this country. And so little time, probly.
w
v
wvParticipantItaly:https://internationalliving.com/countries/italy/health-care-in-italy/
Overview of Italian Healthcare
Italy ranks among the World Health Organization’s top 10 countries for quality health services (by contrast, the U.S. only holds 37th place, despite being the highest spender). However, although medical facilities are considered to be adequate for any emergencies, some public hospitals are reportedly overcrowded and under-funded.
Of course, you don’t have to rely solely on public health facilities. Like many Italians, you can avail of the parallel private medical service—known as the assicurazione sulla salute—that caters for patients covered by private medical insurance.
However, in some small towns, particularly in the south, you will only be able to access the public health system—private doctors and hospitals congregate in bigger cities where residents are more likely to have private medical insurance.
According to rankings, the best medical care, especially in an emergency situation, is likely to be found in the northern hospitals in cities like Milan and in central Italy near or in Rome. Reportedly, English-speaking doctors are particularly easy to come by in Rome and Milan as well.
Italian Health InsuranceItaly has a national health plan (Servizio Sanitario Nazionale), which provides for hospital and medical benefits. In Italy, healthcare is considered a right and the national health plan is designed to provide for all Italian citizens and residents, including U.S. and Canadian citizens who are legal residents of Italy.
With the Servizio Sanitario Nazionale most care is free or low-cost, including consults with a general physician, hospital visits, lab work, and medications. However, each region is responsible for managing its own care, so expect differences between regions and carefully research the specific region you want to retire in.
Healthcare Costs in ItalyThough costs vary based on a number of factors including region and whether you have private insurance or not, expats report costs as reasonable. One expat couple based in the south reports paying just $236 per year to cover their health insurance. And hospital visits are reportedly free in urgent cases. In non-urgent cases, a small co-pay may be expected.
Pharmacies and MedicationFor over-the-counter medications in Italy, you’ll need to visit a pharmacy. These are standalone shops and unlike in the US, you won’t find them in grocery stores. Look for the large green cross (often lit up) and you’ll find your nearest pharmacy. Pharmacists in Italy are used to consulting with patients, so if you aren’t sure what kind of medication you need or what the equivalent of an American brand is here in Italy, ask the pharmacist. In general, you’ll find many of them speak English very well.
Facebook437
Twitter
Resources
wvParticipant
wvParticipanti will only say this. i didn’t know where else to put it. i decided to put it here.
if biden is the democratic nominee. he will get eaten alive by trump. i don’t know who the republicans would prefer to face, but they better hope it’s biden.
=====
Well, the Amerikan voting-public elected, George Bush2 TWICE. And they’ve elected Donald Trump. And Reagan was an Idiot too. Elected him twice.
So, if you are saying Biden is too brain-dead for the Amerikan voting-public to elect him? — Not necessarily.
It would be quite a contest though. Biden vs Trump. What a perfect reflection of Amerika. Just perfect. Much like last time.
w
vMarch 8, 2020 at 11:41 am in reply to: just some “no thread for em” various political tweets … 2/25 thru ? #112051
wvParticipantIts interesting to me that Tulsi got so few votes. Add it to the list of things that ‘say a lot about Amerika.’
I mean, she’s an anti-imperialist, conservative, Veteran who favors Medicare for All, the Green New Deal and staying out of foreign wars.
Yeah, who would want to vote for her.w
v
wvParticipantAllll the Fox memes in one Vid. And Howard Stern trashing Bernie.
Skip to the 4 min mark if u wanna watch Trump on Biden. Trump is quite smooth and folksy and relaxed here:
wvParticipantSo this is just a heads up, nothing to see here.
….
———————–
Ok, cool. I try not to get to emotionally attached to internet posts. So, whatever you decide is gonna be fine with me.Though…I know where you live.
w
vMarch 7, 2020 at 7:07 pm in reply to: just some “no thread for em” various political tweets … 2/25 thru ? #112030
wvParticipantCentrist after Hillary Lost to the Idiot: “It was BERNIES fault. He didnt support Hillary enough. Dam Progressives.
————-Centrist after Biden Loses to the Idiot: “It was BERNIES fault. He didnt support Biden enough. Dam Progressives. Whats wrong with THEM…
Oh, and “The Russians, it was the Russians, again…”
Etc,
w
v
wvParticipantPeople do know about the study that showed there’s a certain percentage of all candidates’s followes who are negative/vicious online. Sanders’s people are not any more vicious than anyone else’s.
I posted that data in another thread, here: http://theramshuddle.com/topic/the-bernies-people-dominate-negative-tweets-myth/
================
What about Hitler’s followers?
What about Daenerys Targaryen’s followers?
Lassie?I’m thinking Bernie-Bros and Bernie-Sisters fall somewhere between Hitler and Lassie.
w
v
wvParticipantGood Lord. It is quite a statement about America when Joe Biden and Donald Trump — two blithering idiots — could be the two Corporate-Party-Candidates.
Think about what that says about this Nation.
Imagine a “Debate” between these idiots. I’m not a hundred percent sure, but this could be the equivalent of that year when the Seahawks won the NFC West with a 7-9 Record. Though actually, I think Biden and Trump are more like 4-12 Teams.
wvParticipant
wvParticipantDemocrat from Michigan, who is for Medicare For All, playing it down the middle between Biden and Bernie…
…oh and note how it takes a Fox News guy, to take note of how the “rules were changed to exclude Tulsi, but the rules were changed to allow Bloomberg IN…”
===================
wvParticipant -
AuthorPosts

