Forum Replies Created

Viewing 30 posts - 61 through 90 (of 8,263 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Rams vs 49ers. Game 1 #165924
    Avatar photoZooey
    Moderator

    According to Neil de Grasse Tyson, Thursday at 5:35pm AND simultaneously at 10:35am on Friday, heads will roll.

    in reply to: Rams tweets etc. …. 9/7 – 9/9 #165915
    Avatar photoZooey
    Moderator

    Los Angeles Rams: Rams will break NFL’s sack record

    The Rams will have the only defensive line in NFL history with two players with 100 career sacks and a 20-sack season in Myles Garrett and Aaron Donald. Garrett just set the single-season sack record with 23 last season with the Browns. So could this line break the 1984 Bears’ record of 72 sacks in a season? I think it has a chance, because in addition to Garrett and Donald, they feature two players who have topped seven sacks in each of their three seasons in Kobie Turner and Byron Young. Josaiah Stewart and Braden Fiske should chip in, too. Add in a secondary with two-time All-Pro cornerback Trent McDuffie and coveted players like Jaylen Watson, Quentin Lake and Kam Curl, and these guys can get to an average of 4.3 sacks per game with how many teams will have to answer their own high-powered offense that just led the NFL in scoring last season. — Nate Atkins

    I was talking with my son today about this prediction.

    4.3 sacks per game is a lot.

    The defense-and the DL in particular-is the principle storyline, at least early in the season.

    in reply to: Rams vs 49ers. Game 1 #165914
    Avatar photoZooey
    Moderator

    Okay, well the Hacksized version is Australia is really only 7 hours time difference, not 17. And London is an 8-hour difference, and McVay’s plan worked fine.

    Is this a “how your body clock relates to daylight” thing v. “the actual hours as determined by a timer” thing?

    I don’t know. I’m sure there are scientists who have studied jet lag, but they’re all liberals with a liberal agenda, so they are probably lying about their findings because they hate America. And no other countries have any scientists that study jet lag, or infectious diseases, or climate change, who could reinforce the findings. But I don’t know.

    All I know – from my personal experience – is that the first time I travelled internationally (when I moved to England), I was whacked out for about 5 days, and every other time I’ve travelled, it’s been a quicker recovery. And I don’t think a 7 hour difference would really throw me off if I was an athlete who had to compete.

    in reply to: Rams vs 49ers. Game 1 #165905
    Avatar photoZooey
    Moderator

    Ok, well tell your wife, she didnt dum it down nearly enough for me. I got lost in all that time-stuff.

    What i want to know is: what did you see/do in Hawaii?

    I always wanted to see the Pipeline. Sposed-to-be a beautiful wave.

    w
    v

    Okay, well the Hacksized version is Australia is really only 7 hours time difference, not 17. And London is an 8-hour difference, and McVay’s plan worked fine.

    As for Hawaii, I already told you about the shark encounter.

    The other thing I saw was a wedding. Which is why I was in Hawaii because there is no way I would have gone to Hawaii given a free choice.

    Since we were going anyway, we decided to stretch out the thing to 10 or 11 days, and make the best of it. We were on Maui the entire time. We drove the “Road to Hana” on the eastern side of the island which is verdant whereas the rest of the island is more arid. That’s an all day trip, there and back, with several points of interest to visit along the way: waterfalls, a black sand beach, botanical gardens, and so on.

    Otherwise, we largely “beach-hopped” and snorkeled along the west coast where we stayed the entire time.

    Oh, we went to a luau a couple of days before the wedding (with the bride and her family, who are the reason we went at all). There was Hawaiian dancing and historical narrative (which neither entirely embraced nor entirely rejected the harsh facts of colonization). It’s allegedly the best one of several on Maui, but it was kind of a passionless event at which I felt it was painfully clear that all the Hawaiians involved were just doing their job. Given 24 hours in their control booth, I could have made their lighting 10 times better. They had the equipment, but didn’t put any creativity into it which is sorta inexcusable because they were grossing between $75,000 and $100,000 a night (depending on how many “comps” or discounts they were giving). The direction wasn’t very good, either.

    I doubt that I will ever return to Hawaii. I would actually rather live there than be a tourist. I liked the vibe. The Aloha/Mahola energy is really nice. I don’t know about the big cities (Honolulu and Hilo), but on Maui, everybody was pretty relaxed. No anxious rat race energy. All kind of “easy come, easy go” “what’s mine is yours” kind of thing. I actually looked up the high school in Lahaina (which is the oldest high school west of the Mississippi River (1831), and which escaped the devastating fire there 3? years ago), and wondered about getting a teaching job there. I could do that for a year or two. But I have no interest in being a tourist in Hawaii again.

    P.S. Go Rams! Got a big game coming up against the 9ers, I heard.

    P.P.S. The pipeline is on the north coast, and it exists only in the Winter, so we didn’t go there.

    • This reply was modified 3 weeks, 6 days ago by Avatar photoZooey.
    • This reply was modified 3 weeks, 6 days ago by Avatar photoZooey.
    in reply to: Rams tweets etc. … 9/6 – 9/7 #165894
    Avatar photoZooey
    Moderator

    AntmanGee

    AIN’T NO SUPER TEAMS

    Yes, the Rams have 6 players ranked in the top 100, and 3 ranked in the top 10, but the following teams also have 6 players ranked in the top 100:

    Denver Broncos 6

    Detroit Lions 6

    Philadelphia Eagles 6

    And the these teams have 5 players ranked in the top 100:

    SF 49er’s 5

    Baltimore Ravens 5

    Houston Texans 5

    Carolina Panthers 5

    The reality is every team is trying to position themselves to compete for the ultimate prize, and even with a loaded roster there are so many other variables that come into play in the pursuit of the Lombardi Trophy. Philly has 5 players in the TOP 50!! Plus, we still have to play the games!! Yes, we have Super Players, but not a Super Team!! But I love our chances…GO RAMS!!!

    I appreciate the point, but this is a narrow way of looking at it. It kinda assumes that outside the top 100 players, all rosters are basically equal. And they’re not. It’s not how many players a team has in the top 100 – although that matters – it’s how good the entire team is. You have to take every player into account.

    in reply to: Rams vs 49ers. Game 1 #165892
    Avatar photoZooey
    Moderator

    I’m on McVay’s side.

    The plane trip is brutal, and there’s no getting around that. But that’s why he’s getting there 24 hours early. Everyone gets a bit to recover, but stick to the PST rhythms. Play the game, and get out.

    I think it would be harder to acclimatize to a wildly different time zone and body rhythm twice in 3 weeks than to stick to the schedule, and ignore the sun. It’s minimizing the adjustment. All you have to do is rest up mentally from a 16-hour flight, not totally readjust to a completely different sleep and eating cycle as well, and then do all that again.

    Well, I’m on Shanahan’s side like any clear-thinking Ram fan would be.

    I despise this whole Australia thing. Its ridiculous. Like, can you imagine any fan of any team clamoring for ‘more games in Australia’.

    w
    v

    Here is a way to look at this (courtesy my wife):

    Everybody is framing this as a time difference of 17 hours (between PST and Aussie time). But as we all know, the world is round, and calendars and time zones are arbitrary. So while Australia is 17 hours ahead of us (California) on the worldwide, agreed-upon calendar, they could be seen as being 7 hours BEHIND us. Instead of seeing Melbourne as having its sunrise 17 hours before California, as far as the human body is concerned, it’s sunrise is 7 hours AFTER ours. So if you set the calendar date aside – and we are because we will be watching the game on Thursday even though it will literally be played on Friday – the time difference is actually LESS than the time difference between Los Angeles and London.

    It strikes me that what the Rams could have done – similar to the way they stayed in the EST zone prior to their London trips – is flown to Hawaii a few days ago. The time difference is 3 hours between CA and HI, and having just returned from HI myself, I can attest that the adjustment was pretty minimal. That would have placed the Rams a mere 4 hours difference from Melbourne (or 20 hours if you wanna stick to the calendar – which, I think, emphasizes the absurdity of saying it’s 17 hours different from CA, as Hawaii would be FARTHER away from Melbourne than Los Angeles according to the current way of thinking about this).

    When you consider this, it would be far WORSE for east coast teams to play in Australia even though they are “only 14 hours different” because it would 14 hours one way, and 10 hours the other. IOW, we will probably never see the Eagles or Jets play in Melbourne.

    in reply to: Rams vs 49ers. Game 1 #165884
    Avatar photoZooey
    Moderator

    So….are we Patriot fans this week?

    Is that what its come to.

    Wed, Sept 9. Pats v Seattle

    w
    v

    Sure. Ja. Ya’betcha.

    But I took Seattle in my Confidence Pool which I’m already regretting having joined. As with Fantasy Football, this creates conflicts of interest, and I like my hope for a rival team’s demise to be pure, undistilled animosity.

    in reply to: Donald’s back (official) #165882
    Avatar photoZooey
    Moderator

    Narratives. Stories. Stories we create. I read these stories people tell, whether its sports or politics or whatever, and…a lot of times you can tell exactly why the person would create such a narrative but its often got little to do with ‘reality’.

    It’s interesting that people who have had some experience as teachers are aware of this.

    …

    As an English teacher, I think about this a lot.

    Kurt Vonnegut once said that the shape of a society’s stories is as distinct and culturally revealing as the shape of its ancient pottery shards or prehistoric spearheads. And I think that an individual’s story does the same thing. These people are just rationalizing an interpretation of circumstances to give Seattle an edge. That it does not, in fact, have.

    • This reply was modified 4 weeks ago by Avatar photoZooey.
    in reply to: Donald’s back (official) #165869
    Avatar photoZooey
    Moderator

    Seahawks media on the rams: “They’re front-runners”

    Seems like a lot of Cope.

    Sounds like I just heard the guy argue that the Rams are possibly soft because their method is to acquire vast quantities of talent whereas the Seahawks are tougher because they kinda suck in comparison.

    in reply to: Rams tweets etc. … 9/2 – 9/5 #165866
    Avatar photoZooey
    Moderator

    If you had to pick a team to win the NFC, but you couldnt pick Seahawks or Rams,
    who would you go with?

    I think the Eagles scare me the most.

    Lions? Bears? 49ers? Packers? Cowboys? Giants? Vikings? Panthers? Saints?

    w
    v

    I would have to see if the apparent progress in Dallas is real. That makes Eagles/Dallas games kinda interesting.

    I think the Cowboys are real. Apparently, after the scrimmage with the Rams, the Cowboys players ran wind sprints, and that was a player initiative, not a coach’s direction. The Rams walking to the locker room made some jeering comments, and George Pickens yelled at them to keep their eyes on their own damn team. That’s focu,s and dedication, and team togetherness.

    There are a lot of good teams. It might be the Lions. They have a very easy schedule, so they could end up with home field advantage and a bye week going into the playoffs.

    I don’t remember a season like this before. There are a lot of loaded teams in the league right now, and more really, really good quarterbacks than I think the league has ever had at one time. This season is gonna be a show.

    in reply to: Rams vs 49ers. Game 1 #165838
    Avatar photoZooey
    Moderator

    Well, guys, your expectations ACTUALLY are this: you expect them to disappoint and fail.

    In which case, if they do, then you can go “I knew it” and say yep that’s what you had to expect.

    So you’re actually in a position where if they exceed your expectations–that is, they don’t disappoint or fail–then it’s a gift from nowhere.

    So you’re in the position where you expect them to fail. And can only be surprised if they don’t.

    Hmm. When you put it that way…

    I guess I’ll go ahead and try to enjoy the season after all.

    in reply to: Rams vs 49ers. Game 1 #165827
    Avatar photoZooey
    Moderator

    everyone on the outside waiting for them to fail.

    Oh, yeah.

    Nobody wants to see the Super Bowl awarded to another team before the season starts. The Avengers. Yep, people gonna be rooting for them to lose.

    in reply to: Rams vs 49ers. Game 1 #165816
    Avatar photoZooey
    Moderator

    I am not perplexed; I think its nutz.

    I’m on McVay’s side.

    The plane trip is brutal, and there’s no getting around that. But that’s why he’s getting there 24 hours early. Everyone gets a bit to recover, but stick to the PST rhythms. Play the game, and get out.

    I think it would be harder to acclimatize to a wildly different time zone and body rhythm twice in 3 weeks than to stick to the schedule, and ignore the sun. It’s minimizing the adjustment. All you have to do is rest up mentally from a 16-hour flight, not totally readjust to a completely different sleep and eating cycle as well, and then do all that again.

    in reply to: around the league #165808
    Avatar photoZooey
    Moderator

    in reply to: around the league #165807
    Avatar photoZooey
    Moderator

    in reply to: Rams vs 49ers. Game 1 #165800
    Avatar photoZooey
    Moderator

    10 Sun November 15 4:05PM ET @ Arizona Cardinals
    11 Bye Week
    12 Wed November 25 8:00PM ET Green Bay Packers
    13 Thu December 3 8:15PM ET Kansas City Chiefs
    14 Sun December 13 4:25PM ET @ San Francisco 49ers

    And to be frank, outside of Arizona, their opponents in that stretch look pretty shabby….

    …

    Well, I think this is the key to optimism for this season. The Rams have only inferior teams on their schedule all season long.

    Avatar photoZooey
    Moderator

    The CBs are an open question at this point. Nobody knows because the top 2 CBs on the Rams have never played a snap for the Rams in a game. So nobody knows.

    The ILB thing… I think this guy wants to give the 2021 Rams some run. I am not at all convinced that Ernest Jones was better than Nate Landman, and that’s what this comparison comes down to, imo. I think Jones is better “on paper,” but I’ll bet his production wasn’t as high as Landman’s.

    I’ll give the 2021 Rams the OL advantage. Maybe STs, too, but I’m not sure. There’s part of me that keeps waiting for Mevis to expose himself as a fraud… but he keeps making his kicks. Loved Hekker, but Evans has made that comparison a helluva lot closer than I would have imagined. It’s the return unit in 2021 that makes the Rams better, imo.

    in reply to: Rams vs 49ers. Game 1 #165797
    Avatar photoZooey
    Moderator

    This team is so good that it can only disappoint.

    I don’t know, man.

    Every year, seems like, the Rams adjust things at the bye and come out stronger. Last year it was the offense that did that.

    I can’t wait to see how they adjust everything after this bye.

    Like, why not just line up Garrett and Donald on the DL, + 9 DBs.

    They could call it the “party like it’s 99 + 9” defense.

    …

    The Rams don’t get a conventional Bye this year. As part of the “Let’s make the Rams’ schedule as difficult as possible” agenda, their Bye gets swallowed up with a Wednesday game, instead of having 4 more days “off.” The following week, they play on Thursday, and then they get what every Thursday team gets… a game Sunday next.

    in reply to: Rams vs 49ers. Game 1 #165788
    Avatar photoZooey
    Moderator

    I don’t know what to do with this.

    I guess I’m just gonna sit back and watch, and hope for the best.

    But I’ve never entered a season with this strong of a feeling about the roster and the coaching staff. This is off the charts.

    Naturally, I expect the worst.

    Here’s the thing: there is nowhere to go but down.

    Expectations have NEVER been higher. So they can only MEET those expectations, or FAIL to meet them. I don’t think I’ve ever noticed before that every year, there is a belief that the Rams could EXCEED expectations. That’s gone. I mean…they would have to go 15-2 and roll through the Lombardi to exceed expectations. They’d have to set records. They’d have to be the greatest team of all time to exceed expectations. I dunno.

    This team is so good that it can only disappoint.

    in reply to: Rams tweets etc. … 8/31 #165778
    Avatar photoZooey
    Moderator

    Could the Rams end the season with a 450 point differential?

    Will the Rams ever have to play from behind at any point this season?

    Can the Rams completely break the NFL?

    Will any team actually score against the Rams this year?

    Is there any point in any team other than the Rams even playing this season?

    ******

    All I know is that I’m actually pretty worried about the 9ers game. Those bastards play football.

    Yeah, i think we all need to become Charger fans. This aint right.

    Unless of course the wheels all come off. Then, that’d be ok.

    w
    v

    OUr problem is… that there is no way we can exceed expectations.

    We can only fail to live up to them.

    There is nowhere to go, but down.

    And that is a very, very, very weird place to be.

    Avatar photoZooey
    Moderator

    Enh.

    Every one of those predictions seems to be more about “feelings” and “intuition” than anything else.

    in reply to: Rams tweets etc. … 8/31 #165766
    Avatar photoZooey
    Moderator

    Could the Rams end the season with a 450 point differential?

    Will the Rams ever have to play from behind at any point this season?

    Can the Rams completely break the NFL?

    Will any team actually score against the Rams this year?

    Is there any point in any team other than the Rams even playing this season?

    ******

    All I know is that I’m actually pretty worried about the 9ers game. Those bastards play football.

    in reply to: Rams vs 49ers. Game 1 #165765
    Avatar photoZooey
    Moderator

    I don’t know what to do with this.

    I guess I’m just gonna sit back and watch, and hope for the best.

    But I’ve never entered a season with this strong of a feeling about the roster and the coaching staff. This is off the charts.

    Naturally, I expect the worst.

    in reply to: cutz, practice squad, roster talk #165763
    Avatar photoZooey
    Moderator

    zn
    Moderator
    (172.101.172.110)
    Guys I;m glad made the practice squad, based on what I saw of them in the pre-season:

    CB Cam Lampkin
    OLB Darryl Peterson III
    OL Austin Blaske
    TE Dan Villari
    WR Brennan Presley
    RB Dean Connors

    I’d add Andersen to that list, but yeah.

    in reply to: Donald’s back (official) #165762
    Avatar photoZooey
    Moderator

    Chris Carter on AD

    “I wouldn’t play him 70 snaps.”

    Bro. We’re about to play 17 games, and I will lay money down right now that no team takes 70 snaps against the Rams all year.

    in reply to: Rams tweets etc. … 8/31 #165761
    Avatar photoZooey
    Moderator

    Cameron DaSilva@camdasilva
    Jarquez Hunter cleared waivers after being cut by the Dolphins yesterday, so he’s a free agent

    WTF are the Dolphins doing?

    in reply to: Donald’s back (official) #165736
    Avatar photoZooey
    Moderator

    Aaron Donald and Myles Garrett. On the same line.

    And Kobie Turner and Byron Young.

    To say nothing of Poona Ford, Braden Fiske, and Josiah Stewart.

    JFC.

    Welp, let’s go. I wanna see this.

    I hafta say. As much as I loved the GSOT and the Stafford Rams – maybe bc I grew up with the FF and Jack Youngblood – I do love a defense that allows nothing.

    in reply to: Alaric arrested again #165735
    Avatar photoZooey
    Moderator

    I wonder why the Aleric Jackson issue is still in League-Limbo? What are they waiting for?

    Puka, too.

    Just decide already.

    But you know how attorneys are.

    in reply to: Donald’s back (official) #165732
    Avatar photoZooey
    Moderator

    Greg Beacham@gregbeacham
    Sean McVay says the Rams haven’t decided whether Aaron Donald will play in their opener in Australia. Just taking his comeback a day at a time for now.

    Give me a break.

    If there’s a betting line proposition on this question, I’ll gladly bet my house.

    in reply to: Rams tweets etc. … 8/28 – 8/30 #165712
    Avatar photoZooey
    Moderator

    Ari Meirov@MySportsUpdate
    The #Dolphins waived RB Jarquez Hunter, who they just got from the #Rams in the Tutu Atwell trade.

    That did not last long.

    WTF?

    They just wanted to get rid of Atwell’s contract?

Viewing 30 posts - 61 through 90 (of 8,263 total)