Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
ZooeyModeratorYeah, the oligarchs control both parties. Or they DID, until Trump brought the Autocratic impulse to bear on the GOP. Now the GOP is controlled by an autocrat, but imo the oligarchs are still there, biding their time. Guys like McConnell and Graham will do whatever they have to do to hold and increase power, even if it means kissing Trump’s ring. They would prefer not to. Trump is a spiteful and vindictive Rodney Dangerfield bursting into the country club. They hate his manners and lack of class. But as the Goldman Sachs fathead said, they would rather sail with an loutish autocrat than with Bernie Sanders, who would decrease their power and wealth by a tiny amount.
I also think it’s pretty clear that the Democrats, and the oligarchs they represent, are of the same mind. For the most part, anyway.
There are a few of the old money country club types who think giving the peasants a slight break is more desirable than putting up with Rodney Dangerfield, though. They would like to be rid of him, and return to business-as-usual.
Here is David Brooks from yesterday chiming in on this:
OPINION
DAVID BROOKSThis Is Why We Need to Spend $4 Trillion
Sept. 30, 2021The New York Times
I’ve spent the last few weeks in a controlled fury — and I’m not normally a fury kind of guy. Joe Biden, Nancy Pelosi and others are trying to pass arguably the most consequential legislative package in a generation, and what did I sense in my recent travels across five states? The same thing I sense in my social media feed and on the various media “most viewed” lists.
Indifference.
Have we given up on the idea that policy can change history? Have we lost faith in our ability to reverse, or even be alarmed by, national decline? More and more I hear people accepting the idea that America is not as energetic and youthful as it used to be.
I can practically hear the spirits of our ancestors crying out — the ones who had a core faith that this would forever be the greatest nation on the planet, the New Jerusalem, the last best hope of earth.
My ancestors were aspiring immigrants and understood where the beating heart of the nation resided: with the working class and the middle class, the ones depicted by Willa Cather, James Agee, Ralph Ellison, or in “The Honeymooners,” “The Best Years of Our Lives” and “On the Waterfront.” There was a time when the phrase “the common man” was a source of pride and a high compliment.
Over the past few decades there has been a redistribution of dignity — upward. From Reagan through Romney, the Republicans valorized entrepreneurs, C.E.O.s and Wall Street. The Democratic Party became dominated by the creative class, who attended competitive colleges, moved to affluent metro areas, married each other and ladled advantages onto their kids so they could leap even further ahead.
There was a bipartisan embrace of a culture of individualism, which opens up a lot of space for people with resources and social support, but means loneliness and abandonment for people without. Four years of college became the definition of the good life, which left roughly two-thirds of the country out.
And so came the crisis that Biden was elected to address — the poisonous combination of elite insularity and vicious populist resentment.
Read again Robert Kagan’s foreboding Washington Post essay on how close we are to a democratic disaster. He’s talking about a group of people so enraged by a lack of respect that they are willing to risk death by Covid if they get to stick a middle finger in the air against those who they think look down on them. They are willing to torch our institutions because they are so resentful against the people who run them.
The Democratic spending bills are economic packages that serve moral and cultural purposes. They should be measured by their cultural impact, not merely by some wonky analysis. In real, tangible ways, they would redistribute dignity back downward. They would support hundreds of thousands of jobs for home health care workers, child care workers, construction workers, metal workers, supply chain workers. They would ease the indignity millions of parents face having to raise their children in poverty.
Look at the list of states that, according to a recent analysis of White House estimates by CNBC, could be among those getting the most money per capita from the infrastructure bill. A lot of them are places where Trumpian resentment is burning hot: Alaska, Wyoming, Montana, North and South Dakota.
Biden had it exactly right when he told a La Crosse, Wis., audience, “The jobs that are going to be created here — largely, it’s going to be those for blue-collar workers, the majority of whom will not have to have a college degree to have those jobs.”
In normal times I’d argue that many of the programs in these packages may be ineffective. I’m a lot more worried about debt than progressives seem to be. But we’re a nation enduring a national rupture, and the most violent parts of it may still be yet to come.
These packages say to the struggling parents and the warehouse workers: I see you. Your work has dignity. You are paving your way. You are at the center of our national vision.
This is how you fortify a compelling moral identity, which is what all of us need if we’re going to be able to look in the mirror with self-respect. This is the cultural transformation that good policy can sometimes achieve. Statecraft is soulcraft.
These measures would not solve our problems, obviously. In many large Western nations, there are vast tectonic forces concentrating wealth in the affluent metro areas and leaving vast swaths of the countryside behind. We don’t yet know how to do the sort of regional development that reverses this trend.
But we can make it clear that we value people’s choices. For years there was almost an officially approved life: Get a B.A., move to those places where capital and jobs are congregating, even if it means leaving your community, roots and extended family.
Those were not desired or realistic options for millions of people. These packages, on the other hand, say: We support the choices you have made, in the places where you have chosen to live.
That fundamental respect is the key scarcity in America right now.
ZooeyModeratorIt’s actually almost strong enough to make up for what came before it. But, this part may be at the heart of his mistaken assumptions:
We must defy the oligarchs as well as the autocrats. If we replicate the cowardice of the liberal class, if we sell out to the oligarchs as a way to blunt the rise of autocracy, we will discredit the core values of a civil society and fuel the very autocracy we seek to defeat.
I think this is a false choice, and I think it’s also foundational to his desire to all but dismiss investigations into Trump. It’s just not an either/or thing. It’s not ever “If you support the various investigations into Trump, you sell out to the oligarchs!” It’s self-evidently not. We can defy oligarchs and autocrats, and hold them all accountable. In fact, the fear of appearing to support oligarchy, if that fear provokes our dismissal of trying to hold Trump accountable, is a victory for oligarchy, flat out.
That was the assertion that made me scratch my head, too. I can sort of see how weakening autocracy means tilting the balance of power towards the oligarchy, but there is no way around that in the short term. And like you said, you can fight both at the same time. In any event, autocracy is worse than oligarchy. Far, far worse. And Hedges even admits that himself when he says that their lack of ideology makes tends to make them less vigilant against some autonomy accidentally leaking out to the masses.
As far as the Steele dossier, Hunter’s laptop, and Trump’s ban from Twitter, I think his point was not so much that those things are invalid (though he might think that, I dunno), but that the libruls automatically line up behind these things along party lines. And their loyalty to VBNMW is loyalty to the oligarchy, even if they think it isn’t.
Personally, I have no real opinion on the laptop and the dossier. I know there are people on the Left – including Matt Taibbi – who think the Russiagate stuff was total baloney. And there are those who see an establishment-led shutdown of the Biden thing. And one thing is for sure, the Steele dossier has direct links to Hillary Clinton. Whether it’s all factually solid or not, I have no idea. Like you said, there has been no concrete refutation of it (that I’ve seen, anyway), but it was oligarchical muckrucking at its finest, no matter what else may be true. I don’t go to any lengths to pursue the truth behind these kinds of scandals because I don’t really care about them. Their exact level of “truthiness” is irrelevant, imo, to the Big Picture Systemic Rot & Corruption that is ruining the planet and everybody’s lives.
I am more inclined than you are to agree with the oligarchy/autocracy paradigm than you are. The oligarchy did not want Trump, and didn’t take him as a serious threat, partly because Trump never really meant to be a serious threat himself. He wanted the spotlight, not the White House. Of course there are GOP types lining up behind him, but that’s because being on his team is their least-bad choice. The MAGA crowd has the GOP by the balls right now, and people in that party are more inclined to stand with Trump (his supporters, really) than to throw away their careers by crossing him. There is ample evidence that the GOP leaders hate the guy, and wish the problem would go away. But until they can completely fix elections, they still have to get enough votes to maintain power, and their supply of voters is dwindling as it is, without pissing off MAGA.
ZooeyModeratorRex Ryan: “[The Rams are] the best football team in the league.”
@danorlovsky7
: “Matt Stafford is the MVP of the NFL right now.”Reminds me of ’99.
These guys just aren’t giving the Rams enough respect.
ZooeyModeratorCHI…25th
IND…32nd
TB….23rdTampa is 23rd?
The way everyone was talking about that D-Line, I assumed it was in the Top 10.
ZooeyModeratorNobody on the Rams line surrendered more than two total pressures, and the sack late in the fourth quarter was the first and only time the line allowed him to even hit the ground.
If they keep up this level of performance, I don’t think the Rams can be beaten.
Matthew Stafford + All Day = TDs.
ZooeyModeratorIt would be a very Rams’ thing to do to win a big, emotional game against the Bucs, and then come out flat against a division opponent the following week in a game that actually matters more.
We will see if they can avoid that letdown game. Because if they CAN, then the Rams literally have nothing to worry about for four more days.
ZooeyModeratorMatthew Stafford in 3 games with the Rams: 2 NFC Offensive POTW awards
CalifTom wants to know what happened the other week.
ZooeyModeratorWait! There’s more?
I thought this whole season was settled last weekend.
I’m disappointed.
ZooeyModerator
September 28, 2021 at 6:23 pm in reply to: comics, jokes, one-shot memes, funny tweets, etc. #132599
ZooeyModerator
ZooeyModerator“Cooper Kupp a problem.”
ZooeyModeratorWe are only 3 games in, and I swore I wasn’t going to draw any conclusions about Stafford until we hit the quarter post of the season, but… the man has elevated the offense significantly. Jackson certainly helped yesterday. But the Rams clearly have a more dangerous vertical attack than they did last year. That’s for damn sure.
ZooeyModeratorBut I’m happy DJ is with the Rams this season, though someone needs to remind him to get into the endzone before he starts to celebrate.
Yeah. There is also no need to pick up speed after crossing the goal line in order to run into the tunnel. And someone might even suggest he carry the ball like a professional, instead of his showboat routine. I swear, if he fumbles the ball even ONCE on that dumbass move, I’m gonna break my TV.
ZooeyModeratorInvaderRam
Moderator
Zooey wrote:
One caveat: the stadium acoustics are just as loud for fans of the visiting team, and as of now, it still appears to me that Los Angeles has a higher proportion of visiting fans than anywhere else because LA was without a team for 20 years, but not without football fans.it’s changing. in just the five years they’ve been here, i’ve seen a big change in the amount of rams fans in the city. it’s mostly older folks, so i think a large part of it is just old rams fans starting to welcome their old team back. but there are a lot of younger fans too.
and most importantly i rarely ever see chargers fans walking around.
Good. There was certainly a lot of Rams signage around the city every time I’ve been there.
Side note: In re-reading my own post, I realize I wrote an ambiguous line that is likely to be misinterpreted. I said, “the stadium acoustics are just as loud for fans of the visiting team.” What I meant was “the acoustics are the acoustics. They don’t distinguish between the fans making the noise, and because there are a lot of fans of the opposing team also present, they will also be loud.” I did not mean to imply that they are equally loud, since there are fewer of them, even if there are more visitors than in the average stadium. But obviously the higher the % of Rams fans, the louder it will be at “the right times.”
ZooeyModeratorI dont know that the media ever loved
the St Louis Rams.Well, to be fair, they never played anybody.
ZooeyModeratorBlaine Grisak@bgrisakDTR
The Rams defense hasn’t allowed a fourth down conversion or 20 points this year.They allowed 21 yesterday, even if you count the XPT as special teams.
ZooeyModeratorNever had a deep threat as good as DJ?
Apparently he’s never heard of Harold Jackson, Tom Fears
and Crazy Legs.w
vAnd Milton Wynn. Everyone keeps forgetting Milton Wynn.
ZooeyModeratorI like Michel.
I do, too. I think he was a good pickup, and I think he will have better days. He didn’t have training camp with the Rams, and if Henderson was healthy, he wouldn’t get this much of a load yet. He will improve, and get more use down the road.
I think that the Rams woulda had an A running game with Akers, and it’s gonna be a B without him.
ZooeyModeratorHey, Billy. I have been to only one game since the Rams returned to Los Angeles, and that was at the Coliseum which is wide open, and not designed for acoustic reinforcement whatsoever.
All I can tell you is that I have heard Colin Cowherd, Rich Eisen, and the announcers all say it is unbelievably loud in SoFi. Eisen said it’s louder than the Seattle stadium.
One caveat: the stadium acoustics are just as loud for fans of the visiting team, and as of now, it still appears to me that Los Angeles has a higher proportion of visiting fans than anywhere else because LA was without a team for 20 years, but not without football fans. Many Los Angelenos chose to follow a team elsewhere, and have not changed their allegiance to the Rams just because they moved into the local area. That will change over time, but the Rams lost a large part of a generation during their absence from LA. The Rams have a significant home field advantage – bigger than it’s ever been in the past – but not as big as it will be in a few years, especially if the Rams bring a Lombardi to LA.
There must be somebody around who has attended a game at SoFi, and can give a better answer, though.
-
This reply was modified 5 years ago by
Zooey.
ZooeyModeratorYes, slow start from Stafford
Looks to me like McVay was seriously amped up about this game, and he undoubtedly passed that on to his team. I thought Stafford looked like he had the Yips, early. Those guys were open, and he missed them. Defending SB champs are gonna get that a lot the following season. It will be different in the playoffs if these two teams meet again. The Bucs can’t match that energy every week, but they can match it in the playoffs. The Bucs can play better than that (I think).
In any event, the Rams are likely to have HFA if they meet again, though that’s obviously no sure thing with 14 more games to go. But that was an important win for this team, and you couldn’t really ask for more 3 weeks into the season. The Rams are a game up on the 9ers, and 2 up on the Hawks, and they will likely take care of AZ next week in LA. So… carry on.
ZooeyModeratorI didn’t expect them to win that convincingly. I was expecting a nail-biter. That was solid.
I knew I was going to see DJax score on a bomb. Jax was doing some minor grumbling last week because he hadn’t been used, and I thought, “McVay is saving him for TB.” Pretty clearly he had this game circled on the calendar. That guy was somewhat charged up for this game.
Gronk was maybe showing some age, finally. And the Bucs have an issue in the secondary. They’ve been lit up for over 1,000 yards passing in three games. I’m here to say that I do not feel sorry for them.
Meanwhile, the Rams miss Akers, a lot. I hope to see something more coming out of the rush attack in the next few games, or we have a problem.
The Rams will be on top of most Power Rankings this week.
ZooeyModeratorRestore the Roar@DETROlTLions313
Wrong. Neutralize 5 and 99 and the Rams defense is mediocre.HoldenCantor@HoldenCantor
Leonard Floyd, Darious Williams, Taylor Rapp, Jordan Fuller, Justin Hollins and many more.. are not mediocre. Promise you thatME:
Leonard Floyd, Darious Williams, Taylor Rapp, Jordan Fuller, Justin Hollins and many more.. are not mediocre.
That’s a longer list than I would have given. Rapp and Hollins are okay but just that. I would have said Joseph-Day instead.
Well…go ahead and neutralize 5 and 99 then.
I wouldn’t include Rapp or Hollins, either. Rapp has never impressed me at all, in fact. Joseph-Day has a much more pronounced impact. Agree.
September 26, 2021 at 9:43 am in reply to: RB Howell and DB Hall: Activated from the Practice Squad #132481
ZooeyModeratorTampa and Brady have a lot going for them and it would be a hard win. Especially with the Rams defense not living up to what it was last year.
But, the Rams strength (offensive passing game) lines up real nice with the Bux defensive weakness (pass defense).
After 2 games the Rams are pretty good offensively in the passing game and are ranked 7th in yards, while Tampa’s offense is 30th in passing yards allowed.
I fully expect to be uncomfortable pretty much the entire game. And if I was a betting man…I’d take the Over.
As a casual observer, seems to me the most obvious difference in the defense is that they are playing zone a lot this year, and it seems to me to be less effective than last year’s secondary. I hope they readjust. Losing Johnson hurt, but I believe they have a lot of depth there, and they could be as good as last year. Seems like the scheme to me.
September 26, 2021 at 9:37 am in reply to: comics, jokes, one-shot memes, funny tweets, etc. #132480
ZooeyModerator— Conservative Self-Owns (@ConSelfOwns) September 26, 2021
ZooeyModerator
September 25, 2021 at 11:06 pm in reply to: RB Howell and DB Hall: Activated from the Practice Squad #132472
ZooeyModerator“Crush, Kill, Destroy!” (from Lost in Space)
This is the way.
Let’s see Brady looking out the earhole of his helmet.
September 25, 2021 at 7:41 pm in reply to: RB Howell and DB Hall: Activated from the Practice Squad #132468
ZooeyModeratorI almost hope the Rams lose tomorrow; that would mean beating TB12 in the playoffs would be sweeter.
I did say “almost”…
I really just don’t see what’s wrong with beating him in both the regular season and the playoffs.
I’m pretty sure that wouldn’t take the shine off the playoff win for me.
ZooeyModeratorThe #Rams have been playing extremely disciplined football the first two weeks. They have the 2nd least in the NFL with 6 penalties right behind Indianapolis who has 5.
Interesting. I heard somebody complain that there are “too many” penalties this year, so I assume the total is up leaguewide. Philadelphia has had 22 penalties called on them. Seattle has the worst differential at -10.
Tampa Bay, since you asked, has had 20 penalties called against them (including 7 pre-snap), and has the 2nd worst yardage differential at -85.
September 24, 2021 at 12:34 pm in reply to: setting up the Bux game (4:25 et, 1:25 pt) + chat link #132446
ZooeyModerator
You would think a guy with 655 TDs on the year would be worth more than 2 fantasy points, but I’m not sure how that works.
September 24, 2021 at 12:31 pm in reply to: setting up the Bux game (4:25 et, 1:25 pt) + chat link #132445
ZooeyModeratorOn my drive to work, I heard somebody on ESPN characterize the Rams’ secondary as “Jalen Ramsey and four guys.”
-
This reply was modified 5 years ago by
-
AuthorPosts

