Forum Replies Created

Viewing 30 posts - 3,301 through 3,330 (of 8,274 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: RAMs stats #132975
    Avatar photoZooey
    Moderator

    First NFL Game – A 28–0 loss to the Detroit Lions, 9/10/37.

    The lingering memory of that bitter defeat will certainly be on the revenge-filled minds of the Los Angeles Rams on October 24.

    Avatar photoZooey
    Moderator

    in reply to: setting up the Giants game (updated w/ good 1 by JB Long) #132959
    Avatar photoZooey
    Moderator

    This situation certainly brings to mind last year’s game against the Jets.

    I would hope that the Rams have also noticed the similarity in the situation.

    Avatar photoZooey
    Moderator

    Yeah, the Seahawks look done. I dunno how they beat SF.

    On the Rams, I think Cowherd is right about Stafford. Top of the Tier Two guys. That’s what it looks like to me so far. As for the boring offense…that’s the price of Stafford. That was the red flag (to me) about him in the trade. He doesn’t like play action, and he doesn’t like pre-snap motion. McVay has accommodated that.

    in reply to: political tweets #132945
    Avatar photoZooey
    Moderator

    in reply to: Gruden’s racist comment #132938
    Avatar photoZooey
    Moderator

    Yeah, so…thing is…

    100% of people living in this country are familiar with the history of big-lipped caricatures of African Americans used to mock them in 20th century illustrations. There is no way, absolutely no way that Gruden is unaware of what he did. Even if he isn’t a Proud Boy sympathizer, he went where no white guy can go. It was a racist shot. I’m not buying the “rubber lips” line of defense, even if he DOES use that term (which nobody else has ever used, afaik). Nope.

    And I don’t think there is any “atoning.” There’s nothing anybody can do about it. Gruden exposed himself. That happens to famous people. He’s gotta have to live with it, and have it affect his relationships with people however it affects them.

    in reply to: Should the defense be better? #132937
    Avatar photoZooey
    Moderator

    Fuck this soft zone

    ‘Zine it.

    in reply to: Chappelle #132931
    Avatar photoZooey
    Moderator

    Okay, just watched it.

    Was there a second reference? I missed it, but I was pretty sleepy. The one at the beginning…if that was controversial, I don’t know what to say.

    in reply to: Chappelle #132929
    Avatar photoZooey
    Moderator

    Guess I shoulda watched it when I had a chance. What was the clip?

    Oh, space jews.

    That was right at the beginning, and I kinda missed it. Went by really fast.

    • This reply was modified 5 years ago by Avatar photoZooey.
    in reply to: setting up the Giants game (updated w/ good 1 by JB Long) #132927
    Avatar photoZooey
    Moderator

    To state the obvious, the Rams need to clean up the next 4 weeks, and be sitting at 8-1 when they head into San Francisco. The back half of the schedule is unpretty. They have road games at SF, AZ, Green Bay, and Baltimore, as well as home against SF. That looks like 5 games against playoff-bound teams, all of whom whacked the Rams pretty convincingly in recent history. So they better stack up these wins right now.

    in reply to: Should the defense be better? #132876
    Avatar photoZooey
    Moderator

    Statistically, the Rams were better on D last season through Week 5, clearly.

    Their 4 wins, however, were all against the NFC East, the worst division in football, and they lost to the only team that had a winning record.

    This season, their 4 victories are all against playoff teams from last season. Just on the basis of difficulty of schedule, you would expect the D to give up more in this stretch than they did last year.

    And now a soft stretch for the Rams. Maybe we can invite Nittany back in 4 weeks to post again, once he’s finished serving his suspension.

    in reply to: our reactions to the Seattle game #132875
    Avatar photoZooey
    Moderator

    As Sean McVay explained postgame,”because he kicked it behind the line of scrimmage (and) they reviewed it in New York, they said his foot was still on the line of scrimmage — so they said he can do that. I guess you learn something every night.”

    I watched it again. Looks like his planted foot was on the line of scrimmage.

    A blocked punt turned into a 68-yard punt.

    I think it’s fair to say that I will not live to see the likes of that play ever repeated.

    in reply to: our reactions to the Seattle game #132861
    Avatar photoZooey
    Moderator

    The Rams played well enough to win, in Seattle, so…yay.

    I don’t understand Stafford’s inaccuracy, unless he is hurt. Not sure when the finger thing happened.

    I reaaaalllly don’t understand putting rookie Rochelle on Metcalf when Ramsey is available. I know there is Lockett, too, but there is Williams, too. I just don’t understand that.

    I didn’t catch all the blather from Buck and Aikman, but it didn’t seem like they had an explanation for the double punt play. I’ve never seen anything like it, and even if it’s legal to kick it twice, he appeared to me to be past the LOS on the second kick. And I think there was a flag, but it was not explained, and the play stood. I missed that ruling.

    Geno Davis looked good. Why isn’t he starting somewhere?

    Those Seattle uniforms are far and away the most hideous uniforms in all of sports. I can’t even wrap my head around the fact that they got off the drawing board.

    in reply to: Chappelle #132859
    Avatar photoZooey
    Moderator

    I like Chappelle. I thought he was finished with Netflix. He said so at the end of his last special, I believe. Guess he got a new contract.

    I’m not gonna watch the clip, although I’m curious. I saw some noise about it on Twitter today, but I don’t want to spoil it. Just want to watch the entire thing sometime.

    in reply to: comics, jokes, one-shot memes, funny tweets, etc. #132842
    Avatar photoZooey
    Moderator

    Pretty sure she needs a detergent that gets her sheets really, really white.

    in reply to: Just a thread for different kindsa interesting things #132841
    Avatar photoZooey
    Moderator

    in reply to: Slices of The Left(s) #132832
    Avatar photoZooey
    Moderator

    Well, he’s talking specifically about the leftist activity on Twitter.

    I have never noticed Republicans pretending to be leftists, but I’m sure there are some.

    I think the other categories are accurate, if not comprehensive.

    I find leftist Twitter to be a lot more noise than conversation, but that’s inherent in the Twitter format. Facebook allows for a bit more lengthy comments, but I’m not sure the quality is any better because…people post there. Just like on Twitter. Bulletin board forums are better still, but I have some memories of conversations on them that did not go well. I don’t know if you remember that at all.

    The world’s a mess on account of people.

    in reply to: political tweets #132829
    Avatar photoZooey
    Moderator

    in reply to: Should the defense be better? #132823
    Avatar photoZooey
    Moderator

    Well, the Seattle game will be interesting. If Russell Wilson
    and the Hawks eviscerate them the way the Cards did,
    its gonna be a disappointing year.

    The NFC doesnt have a super-team, so no team looks unbeatable.
    Wouldnt surprise me if a team like Dallas gets hot at the end
    of the year.

    w
    v

    Will you switch your allegiance from Seattle to Dallas if that happens?

    in reply to: the “more on the police” thread #132814
    Avatar photoZooey
    Moderator

    in reply to: Should the defense be better? #132804
    Avatar photoZooey
    Moderator

    Seems to me that they are playing more zone this year, and that last year, they played more man-to-man, and they were better last year.

    Seems to me that the safe bet is that both the scheme and the personnel are partly responsible. Clearly, Johnson is much better than Rapp. Hill is better than Long.

    I dunno any more than that.

    in reply to: political tweets #132801
    Avatar photoZooey
    Moderator

    in reply to: Tom Tomorrow #132800
    Avatar photoZooey
    Moderator

    in reply to: Should the defense be better? #132796
    Avatar photoZooey
    Moderator

    All I know is that they never should have let Hacksaw Reynolds go.

    in reply to: comics, jokes, one-shot memes, funny tweets, etc. #132795
    Avatar photoZooey
    Moderator

    in reply to: Reactions to Cardinals @ Rams #132771
    Avatar photoZooey
    Moderator

    Don’t know what to say, really. That was just an ass-kicking. A lot of it was self-inflicted, and some of it was that the Cards were better prepared.

    The only thing I can say is that the Rams seemed to get a lot of pressure. They didn’t have much to show for it, though. Murray seems to have Arrived.

    Don’t like Long or Rapp, and Fuller is not as effective without Johnson.

    Oh, well.

    in reply to: Chris Hedges just says it. #132769
    Avatar photoZooey
    Moderator

    Good question, Billy. I have never really thought about it. I guess that there are differences, technically, but I kind of see the whole thing as a systemic blob anyway. The oligarchs and the plutocrats are allies, and in most cases, have the same objectives and goals, and they interact/communicate/party with each other all the time. They all have different roles, and different personal agendas, but they’re in the club, and we’re not. Was Rush Limbaugh an oligarch? He didn’t have the same kind of power as a Senator, but he was part of that class, and advanced its agenda.

    Basically, I guess I’m thinking they are all part of the ruling class. The difference, I suppose, is where their base of power lies, and how stable that basis is.

    in reply to: Chris Hedges just says it. #132706
    Avatar photoZooey
    Moderator

    Yeah, I would say Brooks – with that perspective – gets classified with the old school GOP types, along with Bill Kristol and the Lincoln Project types, Lynn Cheney, and a handful of others, who have some principles of decorum, as deluded as they are about the destructiveness and injustice inherent in their policies. They want linen, silver, and expensive wine at the table whereas Trump doesn’t care, as long as the shit’s free. They at least see Trump as a blight on the soul of the nation, and feel compelled to say, “No.” I think McConnell, Graham, Rubio et al are just cynics. They see it, too, but they just don’t give a fuck about the “soul of the nation” dishwater. Trump has more power than they do at the moment, though, so they aren’t going to cross him. It’s worth noting that the GOP who have stood up to Trump don’t really have anything to lose. Cheney is the only one he can go after, and I don’t think Wyoming is going to flip against her for some Trump wannabe type.

    In my view, you’re right about FDR 2.0, but what happened is that Reagan made that unpopular, so the Democrats were getting beat. And from a position of weakness, they were in no position to push back against the policies that consolidated money, power, and politics, or they would simply be cut off from the Big Money, and totally wiped out. So Clinton sold the party out, and that was the end of that. Clinton made turned the Democrats into Republicans, and FDR 2.0 never had a chance.

    Now…after the great Trickle Down Swindle, Sanders saw an opportunity for his message to take hold, but he’s ONE guy. And the entire Dem establishment went after him, as you know. The window for FDR 2.0 is wider than it has been since LBJ, I suppose, but it would take a skilled and charismatic politician to seize that opportunity. I momentarily hoped Obama would be that guy, but we all saw through opensecrets.org where his money was coming from in 2007, and that was that. Biden is a middle manager type, hardly a guy to lead the charge into progressive change, and the Dems will now probably get smoked in 22 and 24 because their bench is completely empty. It’s there for the taking… President Sanders with support of Congress would have marginalized the GOP for a decade or more, but as Nancy Pelosi said, Democrats don’t want that.

    “The country NEEDS a strong Republican Party.”

    in reply to: on Stafford (starting 9/27) … #132705
    Avatar photoZooey
    Moderator

    That article is a bit alarming, actually, although it sings the praises of Stafford and the Rams.

    They’re 15th in the league in rushing attempts, gaining a second-worst 3.3 average yards per carry.
    They’re ranked 26th in number of offensive plays and 28th in offensive drives.
    They’re allowing a league-high 7.5 plays per drive and the second-highest average opponent drive time.

    Those things concern me.

    Knives will come out for Morris after the Rams lose their first game.

    in reply to: rankings going into week 4 #132701
    Avatar photoZooey
    Moderator

    Let’s start with Stafford, whom the Rams made an all-in push to acquire. Though he’s only 22nd in the league in pass attempts this season, averaging just 31 throws per game, he’s ranked fifth in passing yards and tied for second in touchdowns.1 He’s No. 2 in passer rating, QBR, touchdown rate and average yards per attempt, and he’s No. 1 in net yards per attempt, adjusted net yards per attempt, and Football Outsiders’ Defense-adjusted Yards Above Replacement (DYAR). He’s on pace to set career highs in every one of those stats2 — except pass attempts, where his projected 533 attempts over 17 games would be fewer than in all but one of his nine 16-game seasons.

    538 article that maybe goes into this thread

Viewing 30 posts - 3,301 through 3,330 (of 8,274 total)