Forum Replies Created

Viewing 30 posts - 10,231 through 10,260 (of 12,965 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Podcast 12/11 Cosell, but Frank is on vacation #35522
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    I’m startin to be intrigued by the
    possibility of a Panther v Patriot
    matchup in the super bowl.
    I’d be curious as to how
    belichex would stop Cam.

    w
    v

    in reply to: Out of the hospital, yay! #35507
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    Damn, Mack. I’ve never heard of migraines that last
    that long.

    I’m glad they eased up and you are back home.

    m

    in reply to: should Detroit even bother to show up? #35497
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    Jim Bob Cooter got the Lions to compete with the Packers and if it weren’t for their D giving the game away, the Lions beat the Packers.

    Yeah, we’re going to get LIT UP. But that in the bank. LIT UP.

    Jim Bob Cooter is going to be a hot commodity by the end of the year for a permanent OC position if he’s not signed as the Lions OC right off if not getting potential HC calls. The way they competed on O against the Packers was eye-opening with the same personnel as compared to some of the limp dick performances in previous weeks.

    So, yeah. I laughed at the name, too, but after what he put on the field, I’m so not laughing anymore. All I have is deep, deep respect…

    I’ll respect Boras if we can get more than 20 from the offense. Then again, I so don’t see that happening.

    Horas will eat Jim-Bob-Cooter’s Soul.
    It will be ghastly.
    The Lion sleeps tonight…or Sunday.
    The age of men is over — the age of
    Horas, has come.

    …ok, i’m done. yeah, Lions
    will roll over them.

    w
    v

    in reply to: The Holy Quran Experiment #35487
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    Anybody who knows their Christianity shouldn’t be too surprised that the Bible contains such vitriol. I know if somebody pulled that little stunt on me, my reaction when they did their grand reveal of the Bible would have been, “Ehhhh”.

    As a non-religious person, I’d like someone to explain to me what redeeming qualities Islam DOES have. I don’t call myself a Christian, but at least Christ says a lot of good stuff. You know, “Be as the lilies in the field,” “To Caesar what is Caesar’s; to God what is God’s,” “Turn the other cheek”. (Again, I’m no religious scholar, so maybe I got some of that stuff wrong. Please correct me if I did.)

    My question—and I think it’s a pretty damn good question—is, “Does Mohammed say anything like Christ says?”. From just a half an hour of reading about Mohammed on Wikipedia, he sounds like a fighter. He doesn’t sound anything like Christ or Buddha.

    And if Mohammed doesn’t say anything admirable like Christ or Buddha, I’d say secular people should say, “Yeah, Islam is a stupid religion”. (That should also be the reaction to Mormons.)
    I’m not saying Muslims should be put on some list or rounded up. But if there isn’t a substantial vein of noble and admirable teachings that redeem the Muslim religion, it should be seen as a ridiculous pursuit.

    When young people today tell me they smoke, I tell them “Why? That’s a waste of your money and health.” People should have a similar reaction to a religion that encourages violence.

    So if anyone can shed light on what the Islamic holy books say that is admirable, I’d like to hear it.

    ————————————
    Scribbling this real fast so dont hold me to it…

    Good to see you on the oddball-board, Cal.

    I dont really care for anyone’s Fairy-Tales either.
    I used to be much much more tolerant of religion
    but I’m pretty fed up with most of the Christianities AND
    most of the Islams. There’s a gazillion versions
    of each as you would expect with fairy tales. Some worse
    than others.

    But to get to Islam, sure M said some good Jesus-like stuff.
    There’s plenty of books out there on M. Karen Armstrong
    has a nice accessible one, but there are many.
    M was dealing with a different time, different cultures,
    different problems, etc, than Jesus was, so sure he said some
    things that were different from Jesus. But he was ahead of his
    time in a lot of ways, and did some good stuff. More ‘warrior-like’
    than Jesus? Yeah, probably but he was facing different problems…blah
    blah blah…

    If yer gonna have a Holy Fairy Tale, with a Holy Rule Book,
    there’s always gonna be humans who
    use it, twist it, interpret it, in an
    ugly way.

    If America had the “political history” of some
    of the middle east ‘nations’ i guarantee you,
    you would see similar actors and actions as
    you see from the Isis-folks…. blah blah blah

    I would like it if the high schools taught
    some stuff about Becker’s “Denial of Death”
    insights and his work describing humans
    “Immortality Projects” (see Wiki)….blah blah blah

    w
    v

    • This reply was modified 10 years, 10 months ago by Avatar photowv.
    in reply to: watching this year's offense, week 1 v. week now #35481
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    THAT’S who I should be doing my card tricks for. At least HE appreciated it.

    I practically have to tie my wife to a chair to watch it and when I’m done she will just nod and say–that it?

    Kinda like our lovemaking–ta-dum-dum!

    I’m here all week, folks. :)

    Well, I’m glad you asked because
    i had no idea what the monkey video
    was supposed to mean. I thought it
    was a comment on Fisher’s
    apocalyptic post-modern offense,
    but i wasn’t sure.

    Fisher’s first choice for OC
    was Jane Goodall, i hear,
    btw.
    w
    v

    in reply to: should Detroit even bother to show up? #35480
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    Battle of the 4-8 titans….
    Also–they have Stafford and we have–Case Keenum. They have Calvin Johnson and we have…(INSERT NAME HERE)…

    (INSERT NAME HERE) is injured.
    TJ McDonald ran into him in the hallway.
    Probly haf to IR him.

    Try and keep up.

    w
    v

    in reply to: Martz on 920 AM … 12/8 #35478
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    that was a fun interview to listen to… I’m not a big fan of Cusamano but Martz provided some good insights…… He still thinks Foles is a good QB… yikes…

    interesting on listening to Martz discussing how they evaluated Warner in NFLE (Euro) At the time, I was a big football junkie and actually watched a lot of those NFLE games and I remember watching Warner with tiny the square Rams logo on the back of his Admirals helmet, thus I gave him special attention… Like Martz said, the offensive lines in NLFE were not that good, but Warner still made some great throws under huge amounts of defensive lineman pressure. I remember Warner playing very tough under constant pressure in NFLE……..

    Kill Kurt Drill

    Yeah, Cusamano didnt screw that one up. He actually
    asked some decent questions which is a rarity. Though
    he didnt ask follow up questions. He’s incapable of that.
    That requires actual listening and conversation and stuff.

    Anyway, wasn’t sold on Kurt after the first game.
    The Raven game. I only started thinking they had
    something after the Atlanta game.

    The Curse kicked in after a few years though.
    The thumb, the pinky, etc. He just got battered
    and in the last Ram-chapter i just didnt
    trust him to be able to hold onto the ball.
    Damn shame. After 99, I thought he would
    be the Ram-General until 2009.

    w
    v

    in reply to: Time to fire Fisher. #35475
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    Again, record wise, we have been worse in his four years. No NFL Head Coach ever stays til the end of the contract. Fisher needs to go, because his record has been getting worse. Fisher is overrated as a Head Coach. He has a career losing record. Not something you want. It is better to start with a new Head Coach. An offensive mind. Hue Jackson, or even Darrell Bevell come to mind.

    I’m ok with firing him,
    and I’m ok with keeping him.
    I think both positions are quite reasonable.
    Either you think the ‘main’ problem is
    massive and/or key injuries,
    or you think the ‘main’ problem
    is Fisher’s…four…year…record.

    w
    v

    in reply to: CoachO, some remarks on the OL #35467
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    Ok, then, let’s give Battle some snaps and see if he is ready to play

    Well, i think most of us are in agreement with CoachO
    that its a mental thing with GRob — but i am skeptical
    that its going to improve with time. I’m just not
    persuaded that he’s passionate about being a professional,
    or that he’s suddenly going to become committed to it.
    Ya know. He’s starting to remind me of Kennedy, the DT
    they drafted.

    w
    v

    yup. i still give him another year but. yup.
    =================================

    I think it was a totally defensible pick though.
    I mean his physical talent was off the charts
    according to all the experts. So, i dont ‘blame snisher’
    for the pick really. But it is looking
    more and more (to me) like he’s not got the Right-Stuff.
    Time will tell though. It took Orlando Pace a while
    to become dominant, so there ‘is’ still some hope
    for next year.

    Its interesting how the went in another direction
    with Hav though. Havenstein was Mr Try-Hard,
    from a pro-offense-school. Not a physical freak.
    Just a tough, hardnosed football player.
    And he seems to be working out.
    The physical-freak has not worked out and
    is a large question mark. So much
    for draft-gurus.

    w
    v

    in reply to: Who owns Fox "News" ? #35462
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    http://www.sodahead.com/united-states/fox-news-owned-by-saudi-interests/blog-260299/

    Saudi Billionaire Boasts of Manipulating Fox News Coverage
    Accuracy In Media — December 7, 2005
    103 Comments | Printer Friendly

    WASHINGTON—Accuracy in Media (AIM) is urging a full inquiry into a report that a Saudi billionaire caused the Fox News Channel (FNC) to dramatically alter its coverage of the Muslim riots in France after he called the network to complain. The Saudi billionaire, Al-waleed bin Talal, is a friend of News Corporation chairman Rupert Murdoch and controls an influential number of voting shares in the company.

    “This report underscores the danger of giving foreign interests a significant financial stake in U.S. media companies,” declared Cliff Kincaid, editor of Accuracy in Media.

    The controversial comments came at an Arab media conference featuring representatives of Time magazine, USA Today, PBS, The Wall Street Journal, and other news organizations. The conference and the Saudi Prince’s growing influence in News Corporation are among the subjects of a new December-A AIM Report that has just been posted at the AIM website (http://www.aim.org). The report raises the specter of Arab money influencing News Corporation and other U.S. media companies.

    Liberal journalist Danny Schechter, a participant in the conference, reports that Al-waleed, who is a member of the Saudi Royal Family and investor in the Fox News parent company News Corporation, gave an interview boasting that he had called Fox to complain about coverage of the “Muslim riots” in France. He said he “called as a viewer” and “convinced them to change” the coverage because “they were not Muslim riots but riots against poverty and inequality.” And “they changed” the coverage, the Saudi reportedly said.

    Another report on the comments, carried by the Dubai-based newspaper the Khaleej Times, says that Al-waleed personally called Rupert Murdoch to complain. The Saudi said, “After a short while, there was a change” in the coverage.

    An AIM call to Fox News asking for comment was not returned.

    This is not the first time that Al-waleed has made controversial statements. His $10 million contribution to a 9/11 fund was rejected when he blamed the terror attacks on U.S. Middle East policy. Fifteen of the 19 terrorist hijackers on 9/11 came from Saudi Arabia.

    Accuracy In Media (AIM) is a non-profit, grassroots citizens watchdog of the news media that critiques botched and bungled news stories and sets the record straight on important issues that have received slanted coverage.

    To schedule an interview with AIM Editor Cliff Kincaid, contact Anne Tyrrell at (703)739-5920 or atyrrell@sbpublicaffairs.com

    in reply to: Fisher, Boras, Keenum … 12/9 … transcripts, + Boras vid #35459
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    Boras seems awfully….nice.

    He didn’t strike me as terribly ready for this.

    “Hey honey, I just dropped in for a sec to tell you the plumber called and he can do next week, oh and here, here’s a scalpel, you need to do the surgery on the kids, it’s important, okay?”

    ================

    Exactly.

    Lets just hope he doesn’t injure
    himself, or others.

    w
    v

    in reply to: Martz on 920 AM … 12/8 #35458
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    He also flat out said he regrets
    jettisoning Kurt Warner, but he also
    made it clear it was a decision made
    by the “organization.”

    I had a somewhat different reaction.

    He said some things–a few things in fact–that we KNOW are not true. Simply know are not true.

    For example, he described how he set up the Proehl catch in the Tampa game. Well we have heard Kurt and others discuss that game. The PLAYERS changed the play in the huddle. They altered the hot read on the blitz. Proehl was supposed to do one thing and instead they changed his route so he did another. Yet you listen to Martz and it is as if that never happened.

    That was not the only thing he said that was like that. And in fact in terms of being afraid, I thought that’s exactly what Martz was at crucial points in his career. He did not break out of the shell against Tampa, the players changed the hot read. He was the one who drew back in instead of being aggressive against Carolina when they could have won, and instead he settled for a tie and overtime. Etc.

    Every time there’s a choice to tell a story so it’s self-serving, Martz goes to self-serving mode. I wonder if he even knows the difference anymore.

    Now there are a lot of things in that interview that have nothing to do either way with being self-serving or not, and those are great listens. But I know too much of the history…he changed some stories there, and let’s put it this way–he never changes a story so it takes the glory away from himself.

    .

    Well i remembered Kurt’s story about the Proehl catch,
    while i was listening to Martz tell his version.
    I didnt think Martz was ‘lying’ or being particularly
    self-serving myself. I was just thinking…Rashoman.
    Ya know. My take on it is just…people have their
    own truths, and nobody has ‘the’ truth. I’m ‘guessing’
    that parts of Martz version are true-ish,
    and parts of Kurts version are true-ish.

    So, your truth is just dead wrong,
    and you are an evil son of Cthulhu.

    w
    v

    in reply to: Quinn's surgery #35456
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    4/8 years later. Ogletree, Quinn, McDonald, Gaines, Bailey, Brown, and so on.

    I keep thinking…H.P. Lovecraft.

    .

    in reply to: Fisher, Boras, Keenum … 12/9 … transcripts, + Boras vid #35454
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    Boras seems awfully….nice.

    w
    v

    in reply to: Quinn's surgery #35452
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    Quinn they say is a nerve thing. Don’t know what that means, but I don’t think Carter’s issue was that. I think it was something else.

    That’s kind of vague but I haven’t had coffee yet. So I don’t have enough mental energy to make something up, then fabricate the sources, make it look like they are linked to an official media site, and so on.

    Well Robert Quinn is my favorite player on this
    team. And i dont see why you cant at least
    work up the energy to make stuff up about his
    surgery.

    w
    v

    in reply to: CoachO, some remarks on the OL #35450
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    I bet he makes it.

    Well i dunno. I think we can agree
    its a large Question Mark for next season.

    I hope they have a Plan B

    Maybe even a Plan 9.

    w
    v

    in reply to: CoachO, some remarks on the OL #35444
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    Ok, then, let’s give Battle some snaps and see if he is ready to play

    Well, i think most of us are in agreement with CoachO
    that its a mental thing with GRob — but i am skeptical
    that its going to improve with time. I’m just not
    persuaded that he’s passionate about being a professional,
    or that he’s suddenly going to become committed to it.
    Ya know. He’s starting to remind me of Kennedy, the DT
    they drafted.

    w
    v

    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    They have the Undefeated Carolina Panthers
    in that grouping.

    w
    v

    in reply to: Worst Offense in History? #35402
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    Well, i remember those other offenses,
    and i think this one is even worse.
    Granted, the others were awful.
    But this one is awful with the Rams
    Number ONE QB.

    Then again, its possible I find this
    group unwatchable because…its…year…FOUR.

    w
    v

    in reply to: CoachO, some remarks on the OL #35399
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    it’s not all on the oline. signing underachievers such as britt and cook. ignoring the oline up until last offseason. hiring cignetti if we are in fact to believe he was the problem and in either case hiring such an inexperienced coordinator with a new qb and an inexperienced oline was in hindsight a huge error.

    yes there are things that were under the control of this regime.

    they’re getting failing grades right now.

    Ok, but he didnt “ignore” the OLine. He signed Jake Long,
    Wells, etc. They didnt hold up.

    Now maybe he should have known they were big
    medical risks, or maybe they were good risks
    at the time — people differ on that.

    w
    v

    in reply to: should Detroit even bother to show up? #35398
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    ===============
    Laram — D’marco on Foles

    “I watch a lot of football, its why I love my job I get to do what I use to do when I played, breakdown offenses”

    “I have never seen qb play this bad”

    “Foles is playing as bad right now as any qb I have ever studied”
    ===============

    in reply to: Martz on 920 AM … 12/8 #35397
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    Anybody listen to that Martz audio. I forget where the link is.

    There was some good stuff in that.
    One thing Martz emphasized about
    the 99 team was the “unselfish superstars”
    and he singled out London Fletcher.

    He also flat out said he regrets
    jettisoning Kurt Warner, but he also
    made it clear it was a decision made
    by the “organization.”

    w
    v

    in reply to: Wagoner: an offseason full of uncertainty #35386
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    Sums it up nicely.

    Lots of questions.

    w
    v

    in reply to: CoachO, some remarks on the OL #35385
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    Does anyone have a list of the Rams OLinemen
    who have been injured AND the weeks that
    they went out ?

    I think it would be interesting to see
    WHEN the Line got to “bulgerization” level.
    How many games were they healthy?

    w
    v

    Okay, as a rule, I don’t count one or 2 replacements unless it’s both the center and the left tackle at the same time.

    But that’s deceptive, because they started the season with a green GR at LOT, 2 rookies, and a first-time starter center.

    The Rams played the same OL through week 4, when they lost Saffold. That’s no big deal because they just brought in Reynolds.

    Against the Vikes they had to play Donnal at guard and move Reynolds to ROT. That’s because they lost both Havenstein and Williams at that point. But still, that’s just 2 changes, so it’s not critical in itself. You combine that with being so young and it’s not optimal, but a change at guard and ROT in itself is not critical mass type stuff.

    In the Baltimore game, they lost Donnal, who was at ROT, and they were missing Brown, too. That’s when they had to move Reynolds to ROT and start Rhaney and Wichman at guard.

    So then at that point, they had lost starters in Saffold, Brown, and Havenstein plus replacements in Williams and Donnal.

    The low ebb OL was Robinson Rhaney Barnes Wichman Reynolds, with 3 injured ROTs (Havenstein, Wms, Donnal).

    That’s at least better now (in injury terms) with Havenstein back, which also moves Reynolds back to guard.

    What’s freaky about all this is this: starting in 2014 they added 8 linemen, including draft picks and a UDFA. Of those, only Donnal had a previous injury history. As of right now, 7 of those 8 have been injured for lengthy stretches.

    ============

    Well thats a little confusing to me. Maybe I’ll make a chart
    or something.

    I do think losing Saffold was a big deal though. I just
    think he meant a lot to the OLine.

    w
    v

    in reply to: should Detroit even bother to show up? #35380
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    I am hoping for two first downs,
    per quarter. Eight first downs.

    Call me a dreamer.

    w
    v

    in reply to: CoachO, some remarks on the OL #35377
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    Does anyone have a list of the Rams OLinemen
    who have been injured AND the weeks that
    they went out ?

    I think it would be interesting to see
    WHEN the Line got to “bulgerization” level.
    How many games were they healthy?

    w
    v

    in reply to: what ails the offense? #35371
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    or me, the offensive line got hurt. They will be healthy next year.

    I think Mannion will be ready next year.

    ;I am drafting some new and BETTER WRs and TEs and an extra QB. Along the way, I will add a DE and maybe a CB. It just depends on how the draft plays out.

    As long as Linehan isn’t the HC, I am not worried about coaching either.

    What if Mannion is not the man ?
    What if he dont pan out?

    w
    v

    in reply to: Worst Offense in History? #35370
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    We didn’t start off as the worst offense in history. We had to work on it.

    Yeah, I vaguely remember, in a galaxy far away, eons ago,
    an opening game against Seattle where i actually
    praised the offense, and the mid-range passing attack.

    I’m thinking the next Seattle game, might
    be so bad the offense will score in Negative-numbers.
    Has that ever happened? Has an offense ever
    actually broke through the fabric of algebra
    and scored in Minus-Integers ?

    w
    v

    in reply to: The change in OC. What do you think it will do? #35366
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    Horas to offense: “Come on, men let’s finish this season like your career depends on it! Show the world that you can do better, that you didn’t get TWO coordinators fired. …Uh, not you, Todd, this season’s most.”

    ============================
    Well, I’m all for giving Horas a chance.

    w
    v


    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horus
    Horus is one of the most significant deities in ancient Egyptian religion, who was worshipped from at least the late Predynastic period through to Greco-Roman times. Different forms of Horus are recorded in history and these are treated as distinct gods by Egypt specialists.[1] These various forms may possibly be different perceptions of the same multi-layered deity in which certain attributes or syncretic relationships are emphasized, not necessarily in opposition but complementary to one another, consistent with how the Ancient Egyptians viewed the multiple facets of reality.[2] He was most often depicted as a falcon, most likely a lanner or peregrine, or as a man with a falcon head.[3]

    in reply to: what ails the offense? #35364
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    Sometimes i get the impression Cignetti was more of a
    “leader of men” kinda guy, rather than
    an “X’s and O’s Genius” kinda guy.

    At any rate, I think we all agree there’s been
    a contatenation of problems on Offense,
    probably starting with

    two Rookies on the OLine,
    Greg Robinson’s lack of improvement,
    and then
    the numerous injuries on the OLine
    caused,
    Foles (who had plenty of flaws to begin with) to be bulgerized, and
    finally his
    total meltdown,
    which has affected
    the Receivers,
    though Cook is inherently unreliable,
    and Kendricks was injured,
    and Stedman was shot in the head,
    and Tavon is not a particularly reliable WR,
    and Britt seems to have a limited
    number of routes where he’s effective so
    he can be shut down often.

    And then perhaps Cignetti was not up to
    dealing with all this stuff.

    So, it looks like next year they will have to
    get the OLine healthy — HOPE that GRob improves
    (or move him inside),
    figure out if Foles can come back or Mannion
    can be the guy, or draft a QB….and cut Cook,
    and add a vet WR, and draft a WR high.

    And of course they have to make all the right
    moves on defense: Sign Long? Cut Long? Hayes?
    Janoris? Tru?

    w
    v
    Concatenation

    Concatenation (from Latin concatenare, to link together) is taking two or more separately located things and placing them side-by-side next to each other so that they can now be treated as one thing. In computer programming and data processing, two or more character strings are sometimes concatenated for the purpose of saving space or so that they can be addressed as a single item. (Of course, some way may be needed to know how to unconcatenate them later.)

    A simple way to remember concatenation is to think of any word. What makes a word separate from other words is that all the letters are lined up together with no intervening spaces. That is, in a word, all letters are concatenated. Sometimes new words can be made by concatenating two existing words – for example, “airline” is a concatenation of the words “air” and “line” into a new word.
    http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/concatenation-concatenate-concatenating

Viewing 30 posts - 10,231 through 10,260 (of 12,965 total)