1979 LA Rams

Recent Forum Topics Forums The Rams Huddle 1979 LA Rams

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    GreatRamNTheSky
    Participant

null

Left to Right

Rich Saul (61), Jack Youngblood (85), Mike Fanning (79), Dennis “Herc” Harrah (60), Larry Brooks (90), Fred “Hunter” Dryer (89), Jim Youngblood (53), General Bob Lee (19).
    These are offensive and defensive linemen from the 1979 team with a linebacker (Jim Youngblood) and a QB (Bob Lee) and the equipment manager in the front, Don Hewitt. One of the nicest people you could have met, now passed away sorry to say.

Bob Lee was a late season acquisition but he won a huge game for the Rams in leading them from behind in a game at San Francisco as part of their late season 6 game winning streak that put them into the playoffs.

Grits

GreatRamNTheSky
    Participant

The 79 team holds a special place in my heart. They suffered horrendous injuries as a team during the season. At mid-season they were considered pretty much dead in the water.
    Their whole secondary at one point was nothing but guys who normally played Safety. All their corners were hurt. Nolan Cromwell who played QB at the University of Kansas and was an Olympic triathlete was playing one corner spot. I can’t even tell you who the other corner was. Eddie Brown who was acquired during the season was one starting Safety and I can’t remember who the other safety was. Memory fading I guess.

This team showed more guts and character than any Rams team I’ve seen. There should have been some kind of special award or recognition for guts and will power. Because these guys had all that. Just keep in mind that the Pittsburgh Steelers who had pretty much dominated the 1970s and had rolled through the Dallas Cowboys “America’s Team” a couple times, including the previous year, were trailing in the 4th quarter to this team and it took a long bomb to Stallworth and then an ill timed interception by Ferragamo to allow the Steelers to win that game.

Grits

sdram
    Participant

79 was a fun season.

nittany ram

That season saw the emergence of Wendell Tyler and Vinnie Ferragamo. For me, the Superbowl loss didn’t sting so bad because the Rams’ future looked so bright. I figured there would be plenty more Superbowls to come….

cgsuddeath
    Participant

I was a senior in high school that year so I remember that very well.A game the Rams should have won.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 10 months ago by cgsuddeath.
    wv
    Participant

Look how thin Fred Dryer looks.
    I guess he couldnt play DE in todays game.
    Maybe a rush LB type player, i dunno.

w
    v

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.