101, 07/25 — Laurinaitis; Farr & co. on watching camp

Recent Forum Topics Forums The Rams Huddle 101, 07/25 — Laurinaitis; Farr & co. on watching camp

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    zn

The Fast Lane – July 25, 2014
    4:00 4 o’clock fight 4:15 Ray Rice Suspension 4:30 Rams Training Camp – A Look at the Defense 4:45 Hot Topics from the Day in Sports

They discuss the Rams starting at about 21:42 in.

Rams MLB James Laurinaitis recaps the first day of training camp. Why is he so pumped about the guys he has on this roster?

zn

Farr, watching camp in that broadcast, on McDonald: “he is a willing participant in all collisions.”

This is interesting. You have a smart, articulate defensive player in Farr who loves talking about defense and played under 3 different coordinators, so he has something to draw on. He is in the broadcast booth on gamedays and so knows who the Rams are.

So it’s fun listening to him talk about Greg Wms–and he loves Greg Wms. —>

Farr on why wms is an advantage:

1. on your base defense, everything is going to be coached-up now…every fundamental…that may have been missing before

2. on game day, you have a guy who’s smarter than the offensive coordinators you’re playing against

Wms. WILL get in players’s faces and he doesn’t care who you are–veteran, rookie. BUT he will also TEACH while doing that. He not only can get guys to hear them, he helps them learn.

The corners? Talented guys who had half a plan last season. That will be different this year.

laram
    Participant

I’m hoping for the pass rush to help the corners look better than they are.

Jenks fundamentals are horrid and Tru is a limited corner in respect to the types of receivers he can cover.

If I were an offense, I would put a big on Jenks and speed on Tru’s side.

You can do that since they don’t travel.

IF you have both you have an advantage.

Laram

zn

I’m hoping for the pass rush to help the corners look better than they are.

Jenks fundamentals are horrid and Tru is a limited corner in respect to the types of receivers he can cover.

If I were an offense, I would put a big on Jenks and speed on Tru’s side.

You can do that since they don’t travel.

IF you have both you have an advantage.

The thing about Jenkins, though, is that Wms is famous as a teacher. How good was Verner before Wms? (And because I anticipate this question from someone, in their minds if nothing else, I’ve read up on Wms in Tennessee and local beat writers there said he had a big hand in how their defense played last year. They went from 27th the year before to 14th and a solid unit. Fisher himself said that when he watch the Titans on tape to prepare for that game, he could see that Wms’s hand was all over that defense.)

laram
    Participant

Yes I know that and Tenny also ran a lot of zone which helped Verner. He’s supposedly not that good in man which is why the Rams were not interested, supposedly.

I’m not sure how much effect you can have on an individual development level, as a consultant.

I have heard that Williams IS a teacher so hopefully he can help him.

We’ll see.

Laram

zn

Yes I know that and Tenny also ran a lot of zone which helped Verner. He’s supposedly not that good in man which is why the Rams were not interested, supposedly.

I’m not sure how much effect you can have on an individual development level, as a consultant.

I have heard that Williams IS a teacher so hopefully he can help him.

We’ll see.

Well the word is he did have an effect. He may have been a consultant in name but in actuality he was more than that. That got written up frequently by a lot of different people, local and national, who looked into it.

In terms of Verner being zone…not sure that applies to this. The point is, Verner got better at what he does. Presumably, then, there’s a chance that Jenkins can be made better at what HE does, which includes cleaning up technique issues. Will it work? As me again in November. But it’s not completely fanciful to think it could.

InvaderRam

i think the pass rush will be that good this year. what’s your opinion, la? among defensive lines. where would you rank this line? top 10? top 5?

laram
    Participant

Of course it applies as to whether his individual skills got better, or a scheme fit.

And unless Williams was down on the field working with the players individually, the “word” means nothing.

Laram

laram
    Participant

By the way the Rams should have beat that Williams defense with Kellen Clemens at qb.

Stacy had 127 yds rushing and Clemens had some success passing against them as well.

If not for some missed opportunities and bad run defense, the Rams win that game going away.

The Titans defense was horrible the year before, so any improvement was noticeable.

I don’t like coaches who did what he did. I’m not impressed.

Laram

zn

I don’t like coaches who did what he did. I’m not impressed.

Well I don’t like when coaches do what he did either. So we agree on that.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.