8/10 camp reports

Recent Forum Topics Forums The Rams Huddle 8/10 camp reports

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    zn

thehammer

I’ve just come back from practice and I’m so disgusted that I’m ready to explode

It was so bad that when I calm down I’ll write a camp report for you guys..but what I’ve seen is fuxking awful and you are right about me being negative…like watching the Spagnuola’s 3rd season camp all over again

Austin is a total bust and is running 4th on the depth chart for a reason, Robinson looks awful playing 25lbs lighter at LT this year and Foles looks very, very pedestrian as a qb..

maybe it doesn’t get the fanatics excited but, at least, it’s the truth…..

what dline? Long is gone, Hayes is slow, Fairley is the bust I saw at Detroit and Brockers has zero pass rush? 2 players does not equal a dline

Williams blitzes non stop so the rookies never get the practice needed going against base defenses but the good news is the offense rarely stays from their 2 te offense and rarely works on passing plays so the inexperience on the oline is rarely an issue and the offense team is so slow and lethargic in their tempo that no one on the offense ever needs water or evidently practice

some might think that with a new qb, 2 new rookie starters on the oline and a young, underachieving wr corp a team might need or want a lot of reps in their passing attack…obviously Fisher and his new oc think otherwise

week 3 and they are still running the exact same plays as day one…and very slowly with zero urgency

I’ve made 2 practices day one and today… love the potential of the defense but the offense and oc look like a trainwreck

ever think howl much practice it takes to put in a NFL passing attack? Real long if you never practice it and the Rams aren’t….been to more camps then I can count and teams put in the short passing atttack/running plays early then move on to intermediate/longer rts…Rams are stuck in neutral..wr’s/qb’s need lot of work to get their sight adjustments down and the team is still working on running plays and a few play action shorter passes…and the tempo is BRUTAL….takes a MAJOR commitment of time and effort to put in a NFL passing offense..Rams are doing neither…and high school teams can put in a running attack in a week not 3..

Jenkins STILL is dominating the wr’s…think that’s why the Rams don’t practice a passing game? I do. Have lemons make lemonade… have a avg qb/wr’s? run the ball… and better hope you never are behind..

also if you don’t practice any passing plays other then play action at camp anyone want to guess how quickly Barnes, Robinson, Havenstein and Brown will develop as pass blockers? Williams runs his team, Cignetti his and Fisher watches and watches…

.the D is a 2 stud race horses and 9 claimers….Williams ain’t blitzing lbers/safeties every play from every position at camp because he has 4 stud dlineman…how did the Giants do last year against Williams D when they blocked Donald/Quinn? yeah…

Robinson was a bull in the china shop last year..didn’t always know were he was going but would knock down anyone in his path…today I saw him come up limping after barely touching a dt on a running play and was knocked to a complete stop by a 2nd team lber after he was running towards him after a running play ended..slightly quicker but with smaller butt/thighs with a very noticeable loss oft of power…

Mannion was worked as 2nd/3rd team qb at day ones practice now 4th as Fisher and the oc vacillate which of the 2 bad 3rd string caliber qb’s will be the 2nd team qb…4th team means a lost season for Mannion(don’t think Farr will mind me saying he thinks Mannion be a very good NFL starter)

like I said not a lot to like

over the years I’ve had personal, private conversations with many xplayers, GM’s, scouts and coaches and what they say in private is totally different from the avg poster gets from the media..

coacho had a long talk today with Farr about camp which I also can’t post(we also talked about some things in private) BUT never forget you are being played..Thomas was raving about Spags right up till he was fired then started telling what was actually happening behind closed doors

people might not like what I’m saying but it’s very real

zn

RamzFanz

Another hot one but the beer guy got the message and started stopping by some. Dude’s a piece of work.

Quite frankly, I don’t have much to say that won’t speak for itself come Friday.

Jones did pretty good from what I could see. Nobody really flashing that we don’t expect. TA was hit on a crossing route in the open field and blew doors. Britt made a sweet diving catch and then another over the top of the defender catch. The day was just about 100% rushing and very short passes.

Coach and Hammer are both very concerned about the lack of deep balls at this point in TC. It’s getting late and they need a lot of reps to get on the same page.

Hammer thinks Robinson is too light. It was an interesting take that I hadn’t considered.

I am officially on the page that this will be a ground and pound team, which still baffles me.

Thanks to the protesters that closed my way home!

zn

CodeMonkey

A Few Random Observations:

No massive new revelations today.

It rained about an hour before practice but it wasnt cancelled although the parking lot was closed. The sun came out and it was hot and humid as hell. I had to walk a mile from where I had to park. e.

The 101 crew was broadcasting next to us. Demarco Farr actually came over to chat with us (coach mostly) which was cool. Farr made a comment about having four probowl quality defensive linemen and wondered when coach Williams would realize he doesnt have to blitz all the time….probably a rhetorical question.

It is interesting the different perspectives people have. While most of us have expressed excitement at Grobs new body, Hammer raised a concern that Robinson has lost too much weight. People see different things when it comes to Havenstein as well. We will see soon see I suppose.

Punting was something they worked on quite a lot today… hmmmmm

Defense was not nearly as aggressive again today.

It seems odd to me that Jones is listed as the staring center this morning for pre game 1. He seemed to me to be third but what do I know.

They worked on the run game a lot but it was nice to see a little downfield passing as well. They got a nice one to Austin over the middle and and britt looks good running a seam.

in the individual drills Battle has struggled a bit, but those drills favor the D. Plus…we’re talking about the likes of Quinn Brockers and Donald. It evens out more in 11 on 11s. The oline is better judged working as a unit. Battle so far has been working, as far as I can tell, only at LT with the backup unit.

A concern was raised by hammer that they dont practice the 3 wide set enough.

One last practice tomorrow.

wv
    Participant

I just dont think of Tavon as a ‘bust’
    if for no other reason than he’s
    one of the most dangerous return-men
    in the game.

I was not crazy about the fact GRob lost
    all that weight, either. I mean, i thought
    he was drafted because he was a physical-freak —
    A huge man, with power, who was quick on his feet.
    Now, he’s not so huge. So, I dunno about the
    wisdom of the weight-loss. It didnt seem like
    he was getting beat last year because he was “too heavy”.

Good stuff from Hammer, as usual.
    I hope he’s Wrong. We’ll see.

w
    v

zn

I just dont think of Tavon as a ‘bust’
    if for no other reason than he’s
    one of the most dangerous return-men
    in the game.

I was not crazy about the fact GRob lost
    all that weight, either. I mean, i thought
    he was drafted because he was a physical-freak —
    A huge man, with power, who was quick on his feet.
    Now, he’s not so huge. So, I dunno about the
    wisdom of the weight-loss. It didnt seem like
    he was getting beat last year because he was “too heavy”.

Good stuff from Hammer, as usual.
    I hope he’s Wrong. We’ll see.

w
    v

The thing about the hammer report, though, is that the other 2 reporters in this thread so far were sitting with him. The other 2 aren’t as pessimistic and one even states that people see different things: “it is interesting the different perspectives people have. … People see different things…” Plus hammer was promising negative reports before camp started. His claim was that he wasn’t going to sugarcoat things anymore. To me that’s like someone saying out of the blue, okay from now on I won’t lie anymore. I mean if he was sugarcoating things in previous reports, then, in effect he’s blaming his readers for him being wrong about things before—it’s more or less “enh I was just telling you what you wanted to hear.”

Personally, I think he;s disenchanted with the Rams for leaving.

So who knows. I personally have been saying that we need to see some game action to make better judgements. How does the line play as a unit, how does Foles look in the Rams offense when it’s really on the field.

Agamemnon

Tavon might be another Quick. Was he ever a real WR? Wasn’t most of his stuff done from RB? Brockers has been fine, but it seems that he is just now flashing his real potential. imo

Hammer is interesting. I would rather read it than not.

Agamemnon

zn

Hammer is interesting. I would rather read it than not.

Yeah, for certain. In spite of my comments…and yes there’s something going on with the guy ….there’s something wrong if all camp reports are the same.

PA Ram
    Participant

Well, that’s an absolutely horrible camp report.

I want flowers and rainbows not turds in the punchbowl. Okay–I couldn’t think of anything.

In any case—if this team comes out of the gate slow–they’re done. That can’t happen this year. In fairness to the team–they may have to slow things down because of the young linemen. But at some point they have to sink or swim. They have to work on the long passes because I’m guessing they may need to throw one or two of them this year.

As for Robinson–I kind of agree with wv on this one. I’m just not sure why he lost so much weight. Was he really too slow last year? Last year he looked more confused to me than anything else. Things looked more mental than physical.

We’ll see.

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. " Philip K. Dick

TrenchRam
    Participant

Maybe Hammer’s overstating things, but has anyone reporting from camp been excited about anything having to do with this offense? I was kinda shocked to see the Foles extension after reading only luke-warm to bad reports about him from camp. People do see different things, so I never know how seriously to take reports. The exception to that is when everyone is on the same page about something. It seems to me that nobody expects much from this O. Could it be that a ground and pound offense just isn’t going to look all that impressive in training camp? I sure hope so, because it looks like the evaluations of the offense range from mildly pessimistic to embarrassed.

zn

Maybe Hammer’s overstating things, but has anyone reporting from camp been excited about anything having to do with this offense? I was kinda shocked to see the Foles extension after reading only luke-warm to bad reports about him from camp. People do see different things, so I never know how seriously to take reports. The exception to that is when everyone is on the same page about something. It seems to me that nobody expects much from this O. Could it be that a ground and pound offense just isn’t going to look all that impressive in training camp? I sure hope so, because it looks like the evaluations of the offense range from mildly pessimistic to embarrassed.

To me, Foles can be a pretty good qb, but he came with flaws that are heavily documented. In terms of the offense, I don’t know, I wouldn’t expect a lot from a new OL, a new coordinator, and a new qb combined. What can be expected from an O like that? They at least made the right move by drafting Gurley.

Also IMO it’s not a ground and pound offense. I think it will be a more balanced offense, with an equal weight put on the running game AND a ball control passing game. I agree that won’t look sexy in camp. Last summer all the talk was about how the offense finally had the receivers to exploit the middle range pass, and they talked constantly about pushing the ball downfield. That phrase even showed up a lot (“pushing the ball downfield”). Now, I think we can expect a ton of ball control in what amounts to field position wars…8 plays, punt, defense gets the opposition to punt, then the O has a shorter field.

There are mixed reviews of Foles in the camp reports, but the RANGE of comments has him with the same flaws and the same virtues he had last year.

I would say that your range — mildly pessimistic to embarrassed — is not the range I am seeing. It’s more like cautiously optimistic to negative about the scrimmage. And btw there is only one report (the one above) that is seeing problems with GR. Others are much more impressed with him.

But again, 2 things: 1 is, we won’t have much to talk about until we see them in a couple of P-s games. 2 is, again, an offense with new everything is not going to start fast.

zn

Well, that’s an absolutely horrible camp report.

I want flowers and rainbows not turds in the punchbowl. Okay–I couldn’t think of anything.

In any case—if this team comes out of the gate slow–they’re done. That can’t happen this year. In fairness to the team–they may have to slow things down because of the young linemen. But at some point they have to sink or swim. They have to work on the long passes because I’m guessing they may need to throw one or two of them this year.

As for Robinson–I kind of agree with wv on this one. I’m just not sure why he lost so much weight. Was he really too slow last year? Last year he looked more confused to me than anything else. Things looked more mental than physical.

We’ll see.

Well fwiw here’s a camp reporter who went to virtually every practice (a lot of them anyway) and who even sat with hammer during the practice covered here. He is directly asked if he saw the same things:

———————-

RamzFanz

I don’t agree with his insights. Come Friday, we will all start to get glimpses.

From my discussions with him:

He doesn’t think much of TA and I disagree. I’m not a good judge of route running so I will leave that for the group in real games, but TA flashed many times during camp including long TDs, diving catches, and long runs. Times that Hammer wasn’t there. I would say, from my limited exposure, they are working to get TA the ball in the open field or in the flat behind blocking, and I think that is a successful formula for TA and his unique skill set.

He said Robinson lost too much weight and seemed weaker. We’ll see.

Foles has indeed looked pedestrian. But it’s a new team, a new scheme, and he’s in a deep learning curve. I don’t think that means Foles WILL be pedestrian in games. But maybe so and maybe it won’t even matter.

I don’t agree with anyone who has negative things to say about this defense in general.

In the end though, none of us know what this team will look like game one, but in general, I really like where they are going for the most part on both sides of the ball. My biggest concern for the offense at this point is a lack of practising downfield throws. There just wan’t much in the second half of the open days.

wv
    Participant

Rampage2K – Sirius training camp tour

Just had time to listen to a little of it yesterday with Alex Marves and the God Father(Gil Brandt) .

Can’t really give you a real good word for word type report but I listened to three player interviews and will give you some quick( no pun intended) takes on what I remember .

Quick – very excited to be back out there, can’t wait, loves being around his teammates. kBritt has been a huge help with his development taught him so many things and is a great leader. Loves Foles, says they have a ton in common both being basketball players, loves his swag. Really likes Cignetti, not just as a coach but a person, real genuine guy the team loves his style.

gRob – ready to go and way ahead of where he was last year obviously. Very excited about the teams possibilities. Loves how Foles demands your best on every play. Talks about how going against one of the best d-lines in the league is going to make a great o-line. Learns just as much from them as his coaches. Talked about how Brock pulled him to the side the other day and let him know that he can tell when he is run blocking and pass blocking by just a little tell in his stance. Little things like that are huge in making his a better player.

Short interview with Tre – talked about his relationship with Gurley and how they were friends in college and that he is excited to have him. Says he’s going to do what ever it takes to make him a better player. Very excited about the direction of this team and says the pieces are all in place to go get that Super Bowl trophy !!!

====================

Shouldnt the ‘coaches’ notice things like what Brockers was noticing ?

w
    v

InvaderRam

the one thing we haven’t seen is gurley in this offense. that could change things. i mean if he’s really who people think he is, he should make the offensive line better. he should make the passing game better. a guy who can run, block, and catch. a guy who defenses have to account for on every snap. i like mason. not sure he’s that type of back though. if gurley can be that, this offense looks a lot different.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.