Forum Replies Created

Viewing 30 posts - 19,231 through 19,260 (of 48,050 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: the new virus news & virus dark humor thread #121215
    Avatar photozn
    Moderator

    COVID is not a great equalizer

    link https://www.kevinmd.com/blog/2020/05/covid-is-not-a-great-equalizer.html?xid=fb-md-cbtm-onc-opd&fbclid=IwAR18HuWb_SDBCM9H4VJyJ6dp7ZHwaYDf-diMekOEQtbvF8fBvtYtzdgDuXc

    Some media outlets and public figures have heralded the ongoing pandemic as a great equalizer, referencing the pathogen’s indiscriminate spread and disregard for national borders and tax brackets.

    The sobering mortality statistics, however, dispense any notion of an equal-opportunity crisis, revealing a familiar theme among public health challenges in America: significant racial disparities exist, and communities of color are disproportionately affected.

    CDC data show that blacks account for 29% of confirmed infections despite comprising 14% of the general population. An Associated Press analysis of 3,300 deaths in early April found 42% of the victims were black, and a recent study estimated the mortality rate for blacks at 2.7 times that for whites.

    What explains this dramatic difference in outcomes? It is a complex question that hints at a series of economic, environmental, and health care realities, reinforced by bias, that have plagued black Americans long before the novel coronavirus emerged. This crisis is a microcosm of historical racial disparities in society, forged by decades of systemic racism and discriminatory public policy. Given this milieu of health-associated inequalities, the strikingly lopsided death rate by ethnicity is not just predictable, but inevitable.

    Any discussion of health disparities must begin with economic factors, which contribute heavily to the outsized impact of the pandemic on minorities. Black families earn 71 cents of take-home income and hold 32 cents in liquid assets per dollar compared to white families, and 22% of those under the federal poverty level are black.

    Given the higher poverty rate, lower-income status, and wealth deficit faced by the black community, a crippled economy can make compliance with stay-at-home orders financially unviable. Furthermore, blacks are overrepresented among low-wage and “gig” workers relative to their share of overall employment, are more often paid hourly, and infrequently benefit from sick leave policies relative to whites. While non-essential staff can “telecommute” and earn wages remotely, self-isolation is unrealistic for many essential workers, who must weigh the threat of infection against the possibility of termination.

    Environmental influences further exacerbate the vulnerability of black Americans, who commonly reside in urban settings and represent a higher proportion of public housing residents.

    Such areas are often overcrowded and under-funded, with major environmental hazards such as air pollution, poor water quality, lead, pests, and mold. Predictably, blacks have higher rates of chronic lung disease and die nearly thrice as often from asthma as whites.

    Growing literature on COVID-19 has established that patients with underlying health conditions are subject to a higher risk of hospitalization and adverse outcomes. Additionally, the high population density in housing projects, shelters, and jails—inhabitants of which are predominately black in the U.S, a legacy of discriminatory housing practices, racist policies such as redlining, and deep-seated inequities in our criminal justice system—make social distancing virtually impossible.

    Finally, inadequate access to food due to issues with location, transportation, or infrastructure further compromises health in black communities. Even before coronavirus caused mass unemployment and overwhelmed food pantries, black households were twice as likely to suffer from food insecurity versus the national average. Greater exposure to food deserts and hazardous, cramped living conditions that preclude appropriate distancing make communities of color uniquely susceptible to outbreaks like this one.

    Health-wise, blacks are more likely to have chronic conditions and limited access to care. Studies show that “black patients are 40% more likely to have high blood pressure, twice as likely to have heart failure … three times more likely to have chronic kidney disease, twice as likely to be diagnosed with colon and prostate cancer.”

    A CDC report found that a startling 89% of hospitalized COVID-19 patients had one or more pre-existing conditions. It is then especially troublesome that black Americans are less likely to have adequate insurance or receive employer-sponsored coverage.

    The inability or unwillingness to pursue testing or evaluation portends advanced presentation, hospitalization, and poorer outcomes with infection.

    While features of the economy, the built environment, individual health, and access to care render black Americans more susceptible to the novel coronavirus, bias — implicit and explicit — has long driven health disparities among minorities. Consider the curious concept of “allostatic load,” i.e., the physiological cost of chronic stress on the human body over time. Persistent activation of hormone-driven homeostatic mechanisms can overload vital organs, impair the immune system, and generate systemic pathology.

    Discrimination and bias are significant stressors, and studies have linked them to higher rates of inflammation among black adults, perhaps also contributing to over-representation among confirmed coronavirus cases. Furthermore, there is robust literature suggesting that black patients are not treated equally once hospitalized, getting less pain medication, undergoing fewer procedures, receiving less explanation, and experiencing poorer quality of care compared to white patients.

    One concerning study found a substantial number of white people, from laymen to residents, believe biological differences between races yield differing pain thresholds. Racism and unconscious bias have undergirded the policies and practices that allowed latent racial inequities in health care to fester, and the uneven COVID death toll reminds us as a medical community that there is a long way to go.

    Rather than level the playing field, the coronavirus pandemic has exposed and intensified race-based inequities inherent in our health care system and society, fossilized over decades of neglect, de-prioritization, and otherization of communities of color. I have endeavored to highlight inextricable economic, environmental, health-related, and psychological forces that drive poorer health outcomes for black Americans overall and may provide a framework to discuss the disproportionate numbers testing positive and dying during this crisis. These factors engender higher vulnerability through increased risk of exposure and transmission, decreased immunity from stress, acute presentations due to underlying conditions and subpar access to care, and possible discrepancies in treatment upon hospitalization.

    Perhaps there is a silver lining. With the pandemic throwing the differential experience of black people in terms of health and health care into sharp relief, the issue may achieve the critical mass of attention necessary to meaningfully address these deep-seated disparities. Only then can we truly dub this coronavirus a great equalizer.

    in reply to: Power Rankings after Week 1 #121213
    Avatar photozn
    Moderator

    NFL Week 1 power rankings

    https://theathletic.com/2065281/2020/09/16/nfl-week-1-power-rankings-one-thing-we-learned-about-each-team/?source=dailyemail

    1. Kansas City Chiefs
    What we learned: Clyde Edwards-Helaire is a fun addition to an already loaded offense. While Damien Williams had some good moments last year, he produced a positive result (EPA) on just 36 percent of his runs, according to Sports Info Solutions. That ranked 44th among the 50 backs with at least 75 carries. While we can debate the wisdom of using a first-round pick on a running back, there’s no doubt that the Chiefs went into the offseason knowing they could benefit from a talent upgrade. And Edwards-Helaire gives them just that. He can make people miss, break tackles and produce positive gains even when the blocking is less than perfect. The defending champs didn’t play anywhere near their best and still beat the Texans by two touchdowns.

    2. Baltimore Ravens
    What we learned: Lamar Jackson is still getting better. It feels like any time we write about Jackson, we should mention that he’s only 23 years old. Statistically, it will be hard to replicate his MVP season from 2019, but in the offseason Jackson talked about wanting to improve his efficiency on deep throws. It looked like that focus paid off. Jackson delivered a dime in the first half, finding Marquise Brown for a 47-yard completion. He climbed the pocket and delivered darts all game long in the Ravens’ win over the Browns, finishing 20-for-25 for 275 yards, three touchdowns and no interceptions.

    3. Seattle Seahawks
    What we learned: They’ll be creative in how they use Jamal Adams. Per Sportradar, Adams rushed the passer 10 times in the Seahawks’ win over the Falcons. That’s more pass-rush chances than a Seahawks defensive back has had in a single game since Sportradar started charting it in 2015. Adams was a game-wrecker in this one. He broke up a pass intended for Julio Jones. He blitzed and sacked Matt Ryan on a third down. And he had a big stop on a third-and-2. Between Adams’ performance and the Seahawks letting Russell Wilson cook, it’s hard to imagine that Week 1 could have gone any better for Seattle.

    4. Pittsburgh Steelers
    What we learned: Bud Dupree can be a game-wrecker. Dupree doesn’t get the same attention as T.J. Watt, but he showed Monday night that he can create havoc. Dupree had two tackles for loss and a pass breakup. His hustle in chasing down Daniel Jones led to a Steelers interception in the red zone. The Steelers’ defense was smothering all night, and while it took their offense a little bit of time to warm up, it eventually got going. It was only one game, but the Steelers have the look of a team that can win games in a bunch of different ways.

    5. New Orleans Saints
    What we learned: Their offensive struggles are concerning. The Saints beat the Buccaneers and are still a really good team. But in some ways, this felt like the stretch last season where they leaned on defense and special teams with Teddy Bridgewater at quarterback. The Saints ranked 23rd in EPA per snap on offense in Week 1. Sean Payton called it one of the worst days he’s ever had as a play-caller. Alvin Kamara had 16 yards on 12 carries, and Michael Thomas suffered an ankle injury. This Saints team is still among the best in the NFC, but its identity could be different than previous years.

    6. San Francisco 49ers
    What we learned: There’s only so much Kyle Shanahan can scheme up. When the 49ers are at their best, the offense is a combination of Shanahan giving them an edge with scheme/play-calling and players like Deebo Samuel and George Kittle winning with great individual efforts. But Samuel was out Sunday, and Kittle suffered a knee injury. That meant Jimmy Garoppolo’s margin for error was smaller than usual. The 49ers put together a 78-yard drive to take the lead in the fourth quarter, but after the Cardinals came back with a touchdown, they failed to respond, with Garoppolo delivering a late, off-target throw on the final offensive play. Garoppolo was also off on an earlier throw when he had Kendrick Bourne open in the end zone. Overall, the 49ers finished 21st in EPA per snap on offense in Week 1.

    7. Green Bay Packers
    What we learned: The best version of Aaron Rodgers is still breathtaking. I spent part of the previous six months convincing myself that the Packers botched their offseason and that they would move to a more run-heavy scheme in 2020 and suffer significant regression. Then with one beautiful Rodgers laser to Davante Adams for a 24-yard touchdown, I got sucked right back in. The Packers ranked first in EPA per play among all 32 offenses in Week 1. Despite using a second-round pick on a running back and not addressing the wide receiver position, Matt LaFleur still went with a pass-heavy script. The Packers failed to convert on a fourth-and-goal from the Minnesota 1, and Marquez Valdes-Scantling dropped a perfectly-placed deep pass from Rodgers. They could have easily hung 50 on the Vikings in this one.

    8. Buffalo Bills
    What we learned: It didn’t take long to get Stefon Diggs going. Josh Allen was 8-for-9 for 86 yards when targeting Diggs. Diggs made some difficult catches in traffic, coming down with the ball despite taking a couple crushing blows. He showed good effort as a blocker on a touchdown to John Brown. This was not a perfect game for the Bills. Kicker Tyler Bass missed a pair of field goals, and Allen fumbled twice, but it was an encouraging start. All three starting wide receivers — Diggs, Brown and Cole Beasley — had at least one catch of 20-plus yards, and Allen ranked second to only Russell Wilson in passing EPA per snap.

    9. New England Patriots
    What we learned: Cam Newton is still really fun to watch. While some coaches will complain about being hampered by a shortened offseason or opt-outs or injuries, the Patriots completely rebuilt their offense around a quarterback they signed in late June. The Patriots used Newton on zone reads, quarterback sweeps, draws and power all game long in their win against the Dolphins. No team produced a better rushing EPA than the Patriots, per TruMedia. Newton attempted just one pass that traveled 15 yards or more from the line of scrimmage. Bill Belichick told us how he thinks this team can win in 2020: a QB-inclusive run game, a play-action pass game and stingy defense. It was a winning formula in Week 1.

    10. Dallas Cowboys
    What we learned: Replacing Jason Garrett didn’t solve all their problems. In some ways, their loss to the Rams felt a lot like their 2019 losses. They produced 422 yards. They didn’t turn the ball over. Dak Prescott passed it well. Ezekiel Elliott ran it well. Yet when all was said and done, it was another one-possession loss. Mike McCarthy’s decision to go for it on 4th-and-3 early in the fourth quarter was definitely different than what Garrett would have done. But that decision was fine. The Rams just made a great play and stopped CeeDee Lamb after a short completion. The questionable offensive pass interference penalty against Michael Gallup on the last drive was a killer. Overall, this was not a panic-worthy loss.

    11. Tennessee Titans
    What we learned: Their defense has a high ceiling. Jadeveon Clowney finished with three tackles and one quarterback hit. But it was easy to see the makings of what could be a really good defense. Jeffery Simmons showed signs of making the second-year leap. Harold Landry had a big QB hit on third down. And Kevin Byard’s forced fumble led to the Titans’ first touchdown. It wasn’t a shutdown performance, but the Titans’ defense kept them in the game, despite issues on special teams. And this was after Rashaan Evans was ejected. The offense is almost certainly going to get stung by regression this year, but the defense has a chance to be better than it was in 2019.

    12. Los Angeles Rams
    What we learned: Sean McVay put Jared Goff in position to succeed. The Rams’ offense focused on a short, quick passing game. Goff’s average pass traveled just 4.3 yards from the line of scrimmage — the shortest distance for any Week 1 starter. Goff found a nice rhythm, completing 20 of 31 passes and averaging 8.9 YPA. Offensive line issues were a big reason why the Rams didn’t make the playoffs last season. But Goff took just one sack and was hit three times on 32 pass plays versus Dallas. It was an encouraging start on both sides of the ball for the Rams.

    Avatar photozn
    Moderator

    McVay, Staley, Goff – transcripts

    ***

    Head Coach Sean McVay – September 16, 2020

    (On if everyone is practicing today)
    “Just got done with a walk-thru, everybody participated in that. We’ll see about (TE) Gerald Everett, and (RB) Malcolm (Brown) will be limited.”

    (On why Brown will be limited)
    “Just with the amount of touches that he had and just soreness. So, he’ll take part in practice. We’ll just monitor his reps is a better way of articulating it.”

    (On what he attributes to the team remaining healthy overall)
    “I think guys have taken good care of themselves. Sometimes you can’t avoid some of the injuries that are inevitable just with the physicality of our game. But I think it goes back to guys taking care of themselves and then our sports performance staff doing an excellent job of avoiding the things that you can control – the soft tissues (injuries) and some of those things. That’s been a consistent theme since (Vice President of Sports Medicine and Performance) Reggie Scott and his group have been here long before I got here. So, I feel fortunate to be able to work with those guys.”

    (On it feeling normal to have game film to review ahead of the game)
    “Yeah, it definitely does. Especially because they have continuity at all their coordinator spots with (Eagles Head) Coach (Doug) Pederson calling the plays and (Eagles Defensive Coordinator) Jim Schwartz. It’s good. You’re just ready to get into a little bit of a rhythm and going into Week 2, it’s starting to feel like that.”

    (On the travel protocols and if he’s discussed it with the team)
    “We haven’t gotten too specific. We’ll do that a little bit later on in the week. It’s more about making sure the schedules and all the parameters when we do travel that we’re in alignment with and at the hotel and things like that. Those will be things that we’ll definitely visit later on in the week. (I) don’t want to kind of overwhelm guys with information that they’ll probably forget if I gave it to them now anyways (laughs).”

    (On the run-blocking being a point of emphasis with wide receivers)
    “It takes all eleven. In a lot of instances, they’re asked to dig out support or force players. I think when our guys that have been producing at a high level are the examples of what it looks like with (WR) Robert Woods, with (WR) Cooper (Kupp). with (WR) Josh (Reynolds) that becomes what is expected. (Wide Receivers) Coach (Eric) Yarber emphasizes it. He does an excellent job with that, but we talk about it all the time. To be able to run the football efficiently and effectively, it takes all 11 (players) and those receivers are a vital part of our success.”

    (On what is looked for to fill gunner roles on punt coverage)
    “I would say in a lot of instances, depending upon how the team wants to activate a return, or if they’re going to rush, you’ve got to be able to beat a double. You get a one-on-one, you’ve got to be automatic. You’d like to have some ball skills that if we’re in some of those tight-punt situations to be able to down it inside deepen the opponent’s territory. But those are some of the same things, that you look for a receiver to be able to beat bump man coverage. But in a lot of instances, if they are trying to activate a return and they respect those gunners, a lot of times those guys will have to beat a double and that ends up being where those guys really separate themselves from average gunner to a great one.”

    (On WR Robert Woods’ performance on Sunday)
    “He did a great job. He had three of his catches on that first drive. Two of them were keepers, one of them was a screen and then he had three more later on. So, I think just with the way that we did spread around our targets, he happened to get six of them. But, three on the first drive and did a great creating after the catch and just executing what was asked on those given plays. But, that’s part of what we try to do offensively is make the defense defend all five eligible (players). Get everybody involved. I feel like that’s a big responsibility of ours as coaches and then the players just go execute the play.”

    (On his evaluation of the offensive line on Sunday)
    “They did good. I thought they played tough. I liked the way they communicated. I liked the way we came off the ball. Now let’s take it to another level with some of the details, some of the finishes, some of the techniques. But overall, I was pleased with the group and I expect them to be better this next week.”

    (On the linebackers’ performance against Dallas)
    “They did good. (LB) Micah Kiser played every snap. I thought after he settled in, I thought he was physical. I thought he communicated really well. He did a nice job. And then (LB) Kenny Young played a handful of snaps. You felt his explosion, his athleticism. Both those guys did a really nice job.”

    (On the challenges of preparing for a game with no preseason)
    “I think after we’ve had a week of games, it’s the same as any other year where there’s still a lot of football to be played. So, I do think it’s similar in that regard. I mean, what you notice is you see some of those home-field advantages that are really big difference makers for a lot of teams not be as relevant. You see that the (Green Bay) Packers and (Packers QB Aaron) Rogers does a great job using this cadence at Minnesota. He ended up getting a bunch of free plays and some opportunities. So, that’s the biggest difference is just the equal playing field in terms of everybody being able to use their verbal communication on offense and on defense and just have to listen to the irritating crowd noise. But, that to me is the difference and obviously the fans bring so much excitement and energy. That’s where we talk to our players about, we’ve got to be able to bring it, create our own juice. I thought they did a nice job last Sunday night doing that and expect the same at Philly this week.”

    (On if anything specific stuck out in Week 1 due to no preseason)
    “You know, I think for us as a team, that’s really all I can kind of speak on. I thought we got better at tackling as the game went on, but we did miss a lot of tackles. I thought overall, what I expected in terms of some of the sloppy penalties, pre-snap issues, I thought it was a good reflection of just the caliber of play around the league. There wasn’t as many turnovers, I want to say there was like 33 fumbles, only 14 of them lost. But for our football team, I expect us to tackle better is the biggest thing that I would take away.”

    (On his overall assessment of the running backs)
    “I thought their front did a good job of making it kind of a dirty running game, where nothing was truly clean. It was kind of physical, tough, hard earned yards putting your pads down and finishing, leveling runs off. I thought the guys did a good job and that’s where I thought Malcolm really shined. You look at his first touchdown punching it in, going through the safety. The fourth down run, that was all him. I mean, there wasn’t anything there. That was such an instrumental play in the game where we hit him on a screen on a third-and-seven, gets into fourth and one – he ends up making that play all on his own. I thought they did good. I think it’s still really a small inventory, especially for some of our younger backs like (RB) Cam (Akers) and (RB) Darrell (Henderson Jr.) to really get too enamored with it. But I thought they protected the ball. I thought they played tough and that was important. Then Malcolm, you could feel Malcolm’s veteran experience. He showed up and he was definitely the star for our crew the other night.”

    (On if the artificial noise will affect play-calling)
    “I think in some instances it does because if you are limited with your verbal communication, and it’s got to be visual or hand signals, that’s something that you don’t want to shoot yourself in the foot and for everybody to be able to come off. In a lot of instances, when we’re on the road and we’re using our silent count, our tackles are having to (peripheral view) the ball inside and they’re blindly setting on rushers. So, for those guys, it’s a big difference maker, which is why the noise is an advantage for a lot of those defensive fronts where they’re really getting off on your silent count. So, it does change some of your decision making. Like a lot of things, the flow of the game dictates what you would do. Like the other night we had a fourth down, where we didn’t convert on the third and three to try to kind of close it out in a four minute situation, I would have considered going forward if I felt like they had some momentum offensively. But the way that our defense was playing, I felt comfortable to pin them down in their deep with the confidence in (P) Johnny (Hekker). But you know, in a lot of instances you could say, ‘Would you make that same decision again?’ And if the flow of that game was differently then maybe I would.”

    (On whether he pays attention to player rivalries, specifically Goff and Eagles QB Carson Wentz)
    “No. to answer your question, I don’t pay attention. I mean, you’re not naive back that they were the (No.) one and two picks in the same draft class. But, (QB) Jared (Goff) is going against Philly’s defense. (Eagles QB) Carson’s (Wentz) going against our defense. Their success is completely independent of one another for how they can perform within their role. Ultimately, you’re still trying to get it done and lead your team to a victory. I think those are fun narratives to talk about for you guys, probably, but it’s not something that affects our thought processes in the least bit.”

    (On what specifically in tackling the team needs to focus on)
    “I thought we got better as the game progressed. To (Cowboys RB Ezekiel Elliott) Zeke’s credit and to (Cowboys QB) Dak (Prescott) and some of their skill players, those are some of the best skill players in the league. So, you’ve got to give them their due. I just thought in terms of just getting ourselves in position, shoulder leverage, being able to just pursue to the football, those are things you don’t get reps at. And so you could feel it. But as the game wore on, I thought we were better. We were more sure as tacklers. While you give Dallas guys credit, I’m talking about just overall tackling as a unit with the expectations that we have.”

    ***

    Defensive Coordinator Brandon Staley – – September 16, 2020

    (On what was it like to coach in Sofi stadium)
    “It was an exciting night, for sure. As you guys saw, that stadium is fantastic. I’ve never seen anything like it. So, to be able to deliver (Owner/Chairman E. Stanley Kroenke) Mr. Kroenke and everyone here with the Rams organization, a big win on opening night was certainly a highlight. There are so many people that have made that night possible and to give them something special was something I think we’ll all remember. Certainly, excited moving forward.”

    (On his nerves for the first game being with a new team and for a new season)
    “I think we were all excited to finally play a game. I think we were all excited to play someone different. I think that game week felt a little bit more real last week knowing that at the end of the week, you’re going to play somebody different and it was going to count. So, I felt like you had that excitement inside. I felt like our guys managed that excitement really well and certainly were able to adjust well during the game and certainly different because there’s no fans in the stands. You didn’t have that energy from the crowd to feed off of, but I felt like our guys did a really good job staying together from really warmups to the final whistle and we were able to finish the game out.”

    (On his takeaways from DL Aaron Donald in his first game)
    “I think that it’s just more of what he does every single day as a Ram. I think the more you’re with them, the less you’re surprised by performances like he had in the first game, because it’s just what you see all the time from him. He’s as consistent of a performer as I’ve ever been around as I’ve ever seen. I think that you could list any top performer in any walk of life, and I would put this guy up against him or her, because of his consistency and performance. There were a couple of things that I thought that he did really well in the run game. A lot of people will allude to his sack production in his rush production, but I thought in the run game, he was excellent and allowed us to stop a very prolific running game and one of the best backs in the league.”

    (On how he felt calling plays for the defense before the game and during the game)
    “I think that I felt a lot like I did in the national semifinal against Wisconsin Oshkosh when I was at John Carroll. I felt the exact same way because I think that as a competitor, every time you get a chance to perform, it means the world to you. That is the biggest moment of your life when you get to perform. So, I felt the same way then as I did on Sunday night. I think that the way I felt, the confidence that I had, it was because of the people that I was with. We’ve got a tremendous coaching staff. We’ve got tremendous players. We’ve got offense in the kicking game that played complementary football. I felt really good going into the game because I felt like we prepared extremely well as a team. I felt like that’s something that stood out to me from the first time we went to warmups to the last whistle, is I thought we were a team the whole night. I think going into the game, I felt really confident in our preparation, but then being our first time in a game-like environment, how well are you going to adjust? How are people going to be on the sideline when something doesn’t go well? I thought that we just kept our composure the whole night in all three phases. We stayed positive, we made our corrections quickly, which is what you have to do in the NFL, make your corrections quickly. I felt like we finished the game playing our best football.”

    (His assessments on S Jordan Fuller throughout his first NFL game and at what point did he realize he could trust him throughout training camp)
    “I think early on in the acclimation period, we had a strong sense that mentally he was going to be prepared to play in the NFL early. Then certainly you just needed to see him physically hold up against some of the great skill players we have on our team. And as I mentioned in training camp, when you’re performing against (TE Tyler) Higbee and (TE) Gerald Everett and (TE) Johnny Mundt, and then all those receivers that we have, (WR) Robert Cooper, (WR Josh) Reynolds (WR) Van (Jefferson), and then our runners, you get a strong sense of whether he can hold up physically, and he proved that. He was dynamic at times, you know, making plays in the deep part of the field, as well as ‘running the show’. We ask a lot from our safeties running the show, you’ll hear me say that a lot. He could run the show as a young guy. And I felt like the good thing guys is, he played at times like he’s capable of playing, but there’s certainly a lot of room for improvement with his game. He missed too many tackles for the caliber player that we think he is. I know that it was his first NFL game, but we’re, we’re very confident that he can play better and that he will play better. But at the same time, as I said to (Head Coach) Sean (McVay) and (General Manager) Les (Snead) and (Chief Operating Officer) Kevin (Demoff), I’m sure glad we drafted him.”

    (On if tackling is something they will work on more in practice and will it get better) “I don’t think we could have emphasized it anymore in meetings and on the field. I do not think we could have physically emphasized it anymore. If you guys had tape recorders at practice or in the meetings, it’s just one of those things. I think you have to tip your cap to the Cowboys, they’ve got a lot of really good players. That’s as good of skill group that you’re going to face in the NFL and a quarterback that’s a guy that’s going to break tackles, too. You tip your cap to Dallas, they’ve got a lot of good players. There’s certainly room for improvement. We missed far too many for the caliber of group that I think we have. A lot of it is just angles and timing. I think it’s very difficult to simulate timing in practice when it isn’t truly live to the ground. As much as you emphasize it, as much as you show film and you’re watching people around the league, you study the Cowboys and all these guys, how they break tackles, how they make people miss what their running style is, until your body gets to physically perform that movement, it’s difficult. So, I think you certainly saw that, but I will say, at the end of the game in that second half, I thought we tackled well. I thought in the two-minute we tackled well. (CB) Jalen (Ramsey) and (CB) Darious (Williams) had a couple really big tackles for us to keep the clock moving. I felt like we finished the game tackling better than certainly we started it.”

    (On if the matchup against the Eagles offense can be the game where he can use his leverage of plays to his advantage and his thoughts on ILB Kenny Young’s coverage skills)
    “Philly’s two tight ends, I’ve got as much respect for them as a tandem, as anybody in pro football. (Eagles TEs) Zach (Ertz) and (Dallas) Goedert are as good as you’re going to find. I’ve personally played against them twice. They’re as good of a tandem in the run game and as in the pass game as you can find in the NFL. (Eagles Head Coach) Doug (Pederson) does a great job moving them around, creating formations that really try to create matchups for those two guys. So, we’re definitely going to have our hands full with those two And (Eagles QB) Carson (Wentz) does a really good job locating and finding them. So, then to your point about (ILB) Kenny Young, I really liked the way he played on Sunday night. I thought that he brought a big presence to us. I thought that we felt like he could do it, but he really showed that, ‘Hey man, this guy can play NFL linebacker’ and there’s room to improve for sure. But he gives us some athleticism and some size, a little bit longer guy. We’re hoping for continued improvement from Kenny.”

    (On what he does when he first enters the locker room during half time)
    “We get together as a coaching staff first. It’s important for us to get together, give the players the time to catch their breath and then get connected as a coaching staff, make sure that we’re connected on exactly what happened and exactly what we want to convey to the players, because you have such a short amount of time. So, time is of the essence. When we got with the guys, we knew exactly what we needed to correct. And it was really more from that the last drive of the two minute. There were a couple of technical things there that you wish we had back. But I felt like going into the second half, we had a good idea of how they were going to continue to attack us and then what we could do to give ourselves a real good chance to be successful moving forward. So, we kind of gave them a good preview of what the second half of may be like. Then I felt like the communication between players and coach and coach and player was really good throughout the whole game. Then particularly in the second half, we’re able to get to things from a coverage standpoint, from a personnel grouping standpoint that I think allowed us to be successful down the stretch.”

    (On what has been affective for containing Eagles QB Carson Wentz)
    “Well, the last time I faced Carson was 2017. He was by far the MVP of the league at that time when we played them in Chicago, they were really rolling. This guy’s as good of a player that you’re going find. He’s big, much like Dak (Prescott), he can drive the ball at any part of the field, throwing it, athletic, he can create. I think that he’s really physical for the position. I mean, this guy’s 6-5, 235-240 (pounds). He’s a big man. So, very similar players and they’re both competitors. Much like Dak, Carson really shows up in the ‘got to have it situations’ – third-down, red area, two minute, very much like Dak. So, it’s going to take a team effort to make sure that this guy doesn’t have one of his best games because he’s certainly capable of beating you at any time. You got to be on your game all 60 minutes or however long the game goes, because this guy’s putting pressure on you every single snap. He’s one of those quarterbacks that every single snap he’s putting pressure on you. So, we’re going to have to be able to operate at a high level.”

    (On if there are similarities between QB Jared Goff and Wentz)
    “I think where they’re similar is that they can go and win any game on the schedule. I think they’re quarterbacks that you would consider franchise quarterbacks that you can say, ‘Hey, we can go into that game and win that game. If we’re behind, if we got to come back, if we got to go on the road, we feel good about these guys, leading our football team.’ I think that’s where they’re similar. I think their playing styles are different. Carson is a different stylistic quarterback than (QB) Jared (Goff) is, but they’re both effective. They both have been winners in this league. They both have achieved a success leading their team into the playoffs. And certainly, in every game people are saying, ‘Hey, you know, we got to make sure that, that guy we got a plan for him.’ So, I think that’s where they’re similar. And it seems like both of them are just outstanding people and I think that that’s probably where the similarities lie.”

    (On how he feels CB Jalen Ramsey performed in his defensive system against Dallas)
    “It’s his defense, it’s not my defense. It’s all right. It’ll never be a coach’s defense. Will definitely always be the players’ defense. That won’t be the last time I say that, but I thought that (CB) Jalen (Ramsey) got better as the game went on. Like a lot of players. I thought he got his legs underneath him. I know that he told me after the game, he can play a lot better and I can coach a lot better. I think that all of us kind of had that same feeling after the game, but I thought in crunch time, he was outstanding. He had a couple of big tackles in the two-minute, had the big break up on (Cowboys WR) Amari (Cooper) on the third down. The thing that I thought he did a really nice job of is communicating from the very first snap to the end of the game. I thought that that was a real strength of his, but there’s some plays that I know that he would like to have back. Some ops that I think he feels like, ‘Hey, I can go finish that.’ And either you make a big play on the ball or make or finish the tackle. So, it was good to get out there with him. He’s really good on game day from a communication standpoint on the sideline helping the younger guys. So very pleased with him and then encouraged that we can get a lot better moving.”

    (On his thoughts about DL Aaron Donald making a big play on third down against Dallas while being double-teamed)
    “That was a big third-down-and-four. I think if you look even closer, okay, you’ll see, (CB) Troy Hill behind (DL) Aaron, Donald too. And Troy Hill is the reason why Dak Prescott pulled that back. It was not Aaron Donald. Aaron’s in the way and that’s exactly what (Defensive Line Coach) Eric Henderson’s teaching him to do, blocking shots. We feel like we can add that to his game. He’s doing a really good job of it. He’s done a great job in camp, but I think if you look even closer, Troy Hill was really why Dak had to pull that throw back and then I thought that (DT) Michael (Brockers) had a really good individual rush on that left guard. It was a tremendous individual rush. Michael’s been working extremely hard on his past rush and I thought it came alive the other night. I thought that play was indicative of 11 guys doing exactly the right thing, playing with perfect assignment, technique and effort. That resulted in a big, third stop.”

    (On Fuller on the four-down stop)
    “He performed the right assignment, did it with the right technique. He knew that there was going to be traffic on that particular down and distance. It’s a down and distance where things like that happen. He negotiated it, I thought smoothly and was able to make the play and finish it with a good tackle. Certianly gave us a big lift there for the rest of the game.

    (On if this past game performance will give them some optimism on how good they can get)
    “I think we’re encouraged, but far from satisfied. I think certainly encouraged that we were able to finish the game. I think the second half was more indicative of how we expect to play. But certainly, through all four quarters, there’s a lot to correct. I think that as a coach and as a player, as a competitor, we’re all in this together. We know that there’s a lot that we need to get going on and that’s what makes competition fun is working at your game. Whether it’s coach, player or as a unit we need to get back to work and that’s why today’s so important. Is that we can get back on the field and we can start that process. So, we’re excited to do that here today.”

    ***

    QB Jared Goff – September 16, 2020

    (On assessment of his performance against Dallas)
    “I liked most of it. I thought we moved the ball pretty well down the field, especially early on. Just being able to get completions and do all the things we want to do. There’s always going to be those throws you want back. I can think of a handful off the top of my head. That last play, I wish I would’ve got my eyes up and tossed that to (WR) Cooper (Kupp) there just down the field. But, besides that, I felt pretty good about it and thought it was obviously good enough for one.”

    (On his assessment of the offensive line play)
    “Great. That’s great. Really good. I thought they did a good job. They were starting to gel, like I mentioned, during training camp and really starting to feel good about them and they’re feeling good about each other. It starting to go in the right direction.”

    (On the interception and whether the play was sent to the league for review)
    “Yeah, it was sent to the league and I mean, you can imagine what they said, but it doesn’t take anything back. It’s part of the game and sometimes we get some on our side, sometimes they get some. Ultimately, that one won against us.”

    (On Eagles QB Carson Wentz)
    “I’ve got a lot of respect for (Eagles) Carson (Wentz). I see him on film quite a bit. I think he’s a hell of a player. He’s done a great job and we’ve kind of had this friendly rivalry ever since we got into the league, just being in the same class, training together and always just want to be competitive. I’m sure he’s thinking the same thing when he plays us. It’s no different. At the same time though, I’m playing their defense and he’s playing our defense and I wish him the best. Hope he plays well enough, but we still win. You know, I wish him the best, but I hope we still win, obviously.”

    (On whether he often touches base with Wentz)
    “Basically, when we play each other, I mean, there’ll be sporadically. I’m sure, you know, some stuff with our agents or if he’s ever in California, I mean, we text a couple of times a year and stay in touch. But, again, I’ve always wished him the best.”

    (On what he sees in Wentz as a quarterback)
    “A lot of stuff. He’s always been extremely elusive and really, really good off-schedule. I think that’s part of what makes him really special is how good he off-schedule and how strong he is, how strong he is in the pocket and how smart he is. He’s always been a smart guy. I think a lot of stuff when, this is five years ago, we were training together, a lot of that stuff you can see carry over.”

    (On how RB Cam Akers did in his first game as a rookie playing his first game)
    “He did great. He did really good. I thought we had a good plan for him and getting him the ball, getting him involved. I thought he did a good job. You know, there’s always some things, the rookie mistakes, that you’re going to want to clean up. But for the most part he did a good job and he’ll just continue to go on the right trajectory, and we feel good about him.”

    (On what it’s like to see RB Malcolm Brown shine)
    “Yeah, it’s cool. He’s always been, obviously, behind (Falcons RB) Todd (Gurley) for however many years now, but he’s always done a great job and we’ve always been able to rely on him, whether it’s third down or various runs and different things. So, we weren’t not expecting him to play well. I mean, he’s always played well, but for him to get out in the forefront, get a lot of carries and be able to score those two touchdowns for us, that was huge. I’m happy for him. And again, I think his trajectory is going to continue to go up.”

    (On what crossers like WR Robert Woods can do to a defense when you can run them multiple times successfully)
    “(WR) Robert (Woods) does a great job getting open. I think that’s part of what he’s always been really good at. I think the play you’re referring to is the one over the middle. He’s always been really good at that play. We’ve ran it for quite a bit now and had some success with it. So anytime it gets called you get a little excited about it. Me and him have a really good feel for each other on that play, and a lot of plays. I mean, this is now our fourth year together and we feel really good with each other.”

    (On if Woods runs like a fullback)
    “Yeah, he always looks like he’s running down a hill if you ever see him. I know it’s kind of cliché to say running downhill, but he does. He looks like he’s on a slope running. You know, whether it’s a handoff in the run game that we give him from the receiver position or you saw the screens he’s running, he’s a really good what we call, ‘slash runner’ and just making one guy miss and staying downhill. He’s probably one of the best in the league at it.”

    (On how much Sunday’s win against the Cowboys uplifted the team emotionally)
    “It’s really been like this. I mean we expected to win. It’s nothing that, you know, gets us too excited. I mean, we were excited after the game and excited for 24 hours, but today’s Wednesday and we’ve got a new opponent. So, ever since I’ve seen people, which is really since this morning and a little bit on Monday, it’s been fairly even-keeled. We expect to win. We go out every week and expect to win and that’s just how we are.”

    (On Philadelphia being known for having loud fans, and from a quarterback’s perspective if not having fans there due to COVID-19 levels the playing field)
    “I don’t know. Everyone’s got eight home games, eight away games this year, so it’ll even out for everybody. I know some people have fans and some people don’t, but I guess for some teams that rely on that home field advantage, it can be a disadvantage for those teams. I’m not referring to the Eagles specifically, but there are teams that win a lot more at home and there’s a reason why. So yeah, you can see that as a disadvantage for some teams.”

    in reply to: tweets … 9/16 #121204
    Avatar photozn
    Moderator

    Stu Jackson@StuJRams
    Rams Wednesday Injury Report:

    • TE Gerald Everett (back) – DNP
    • OL Andrew Whitworth (not injury related) – DNP

    𝕋𝕠𝕞 – 𝕃𝔸 ℝ𝕒𝕞𝕤@TL_LARams
    Jared Goff had the most passes tackled at the 1 yard line last year with 7, and had another on Sunday when Josh Reynolds was tackled at the 1 yard line. Malcolm Brown scored a rushing TD on the next play.

    ==

    in reply to: Press sets up the Eagles game #121203
    Avatar photozn
    Moderator

    in reply to: tweets … 9/16 #121200
    Avatar photozn
    Moderator

    in reply to: tweets … 9/16 #121199
    Avatar photozn
    Moderator

    in reply to: dirt is like prozac #121198
    Avatar photozn
    Moderator

    I’ll attest to that.

    …

    in reply to: around the NFC west #121194
    Avatar photozn
    Moderator

    in reply to: tweets … 9/16 #121193
    Avatar photozn
    Moderator

    Watch Woods #17 in this one.

    …

    in reply to: tweets … 9/16 #121192
    Avatar photozn
    Moderator

    Pederson says his RBs need to start mentally preparing right now for the uniquely physical matchup they face when they have to “sacrifice the route” to get in Donald’s path.

    hehehehe…

    in reply to: will the Rams beat the Eagles? #121187
    Avatar photozn
    Moderator

    Leoram

    Pederson will make adjustments but aside from AD, the Rams don’t have the horses of the Young and Kerrigan tandem. I also trust McVay to have a different offensive plan of attack against the Eagles than he did the Cowboys. I expect more man coverage vs their pedestrian WR corps so that could mean several safety blitzes. I can only hope the uncovered swing passes to Elliott was a teaching point Pederson can’t exploit. Count me cautiously optimistic. Like Dallas, Philly has some injuries that weaken their team but they will have an emotional edge that frequently wins football games in the wake of embarrassment.

    in reply to: tweets … 9/16 #121184
    Avatar photozn
    Moderator

    PFF LA Rams@PFF_Rams
    Jared Goff ranked 4th among all QBs (min. 10 dropbacks) in yards per attempt during Week 1

    He’s set to face an Eagles team that ranked 21st in the league last season in team coverage grade

    Jourdan Rodrigue@JourdanRodrigue
    Gerald Everett (back) is not practicing, though McVay indicated that is more precaution than anything else. He added everyone did participate in walkthroughs this morning.

    ==

    in reply to: tweets … 9/16 #121183
    Avatar photozn
    Moderator

    Stu Jackson@StuJRams
    Rams DC Brandon Staley on holding Cowboys offense to 17 points:

    “We’re encouraged, but far from satisfied.”

    When Brandon Staley was asked about Jalen Ramsey’s performance in his first game in the new defense, Staley said Ramsey’s communication the entire game “was a real strength of his.”

    Rams Wire@TheRamsWire
    Carson Wentz doesn’t hold back praise: ‘Aaron Donald is a monster’

    Lindsey Thiry@LindseyThiry
    “I expect us to tackle better,” Sean McVay says when asked about the Rams Week 1 performance, and how it could have been affected by a lack of preseason games.

    Sosa K@QBsMVP
    Fun fact from Week 1 per @PFF. Here’s how the Los Angeles Rams lined up.

    11 personnel: 68.1% (9th)
    12 personnel: 27.8% (6th)

    SeattleRams@seattlerams_nfl
    This was one of the biggest questions as we headed into the 2020 season. Would Sean McVay go back to 11, after his shift towards 12 down the stretch?

    Young Gerald had 24 snaps, and Johnny Mundt just 10.

    Time to ride Cooper Kupp again!

    Jourdan Rodrigue@JourdanRodrigue
    Nice drop by Brandon Staley, on what Aaron Donald was able to do on Sunday (aside from all the stuff he always does), paraphrasing: I thought Aaron was also excellent against the run. Some of the things he did against the run helped us contain one of the best backs in the league.

    Ezekiel Elliott had to work in pass-pro quite a bit (somewhat unsuccessfully) to account for Aaron Donald. Pederson says his RBs need to start mentally preparing right now for the uniquely physical matchup they face when they have to “sacrifice the route” to get in Donald’s path.

    in reply to: tweets … 9/16 #121182
    Avatar photozn
    Moderator

    in reply to: ICE camps & forced hysterectomies #121181
    Avatar photozn
    Moderator

    Rep. Pramila Jayapal@RepJayapal
    Yesterday, I was briefed by attorneys representing women who were subjected to forced, invasive procedures by a gynecologist connected with a private, for-profit detention center in GA. It has become clear that the initial reports are likely part of a horrific pattern of conduct.

    There may be at minimum 17 women who were subjected to unnecessary procedures from just one doctor, often without appropriate consent or knowledge, and with the clear intention of sterilization. It’s possible there are similar cases for individuals who were already deported.

    One woman, who was nearly deported, consulted the doctor simply about her menstrual cycle. She was put under for what she was told would be a simple procedure, only to wake up and find that the doctor had removed part of her reproductive organs without her knowledge or consent.

    Another woman, already deported, apparently went in to see the doctor for a simple condition related to diabetes and ended up having gynecological surgery. Two additional women apparently were shackled to the bed, reported to have had surgical procedures including a hysterectomy.

    These stories contain many consistencies and raise serious questions about not only this particular doctor but about the entire detention system—largely for-profit—that is complicit in the abuses and has long neglected the health, wellbeing, and human rights of immigrants.

    I will continue investigating. ICE must immediately ensure that any person who may have been subjected to forced medical procedures immediately be assured the ability to remain in the U.S. so that we can follow all the facts and get to the bottom of these horrific allegations.

    in reply to: tweets … 9/16 #121176
    Avatar photozn
    Moderator

    from https://mountain-topmedia.com/cowboys-cry-foul-on-late-call-ref-calls-it-obvious-2/

    “I can tell you it was clear and obvious on the field, of a hand into the opposing player,” referee Tony Corrente said in defending the call. “A full arm extension that created separation. In all situations that would be called. We’re not going to allow that at any time of the game.”

    in reply to: tweets … 9/16 #121175
    Avatar photozn
    Moderator

    in reply to: tweets … 9/16 #121172
    Avatar photozn
    Moderator

    in reply to: tweets … 9/16 #121171
    Avatar photozn
    Moderator

    in reply to: Press sets up the Eagles game #121166
    Avatar photozn
    Moderator

    Eagles-Rams scouting report: Matchups, keys to the game, prediction

    Paul Domowitch

    https://www.inquirer.com/eagles/philadelphia-eagles-los-angeles-rams-scouting-report-week-2-20200916.html

    After blowing a 17-0 first-half lead and losing their season-opener to Washington, the Eagles will try to rebound Sunday when they host the LA Rams in an empty Lincoln Financial Field.

    This will be the third meeting between Doug Pederson’s Eagles and Sean McVay’s Rams. The Eagles won both previous battles — 30-23 in 2018, and 43-35 in 2017. Both of those games were played at the Los Angeles Coliseum. That 2017 game, of course, was the one in which Carson Wentz tore his ACL. Nick Foles replaced him and the Eagles went on to win their first Super Bowl.

    When the Eagles run the ball
    The Eagles ran the ball poorly against a Washington defense that finished 31st in run defense and 26th in opponent rush average last season. They were held to 57 yards on 17 carries. Eight of those 17 carries gained two yards or less. They had just three rushing first downs. They were without their No. 1 RB, Miles Sanders (hamstring), but Boston Scott and Corey Clement are capable backs.

    The problem was their offensive line. It was missing two Pro Bowl starters — RG Brandon Brooks and RT Lane Johnson. They had a rookie — Jack Driscoll — at Johnson’s spot, and a second-year guy with three career snaps — Nate Herbig — replacing Brooks. On top of that, their nine-time Pro Bowl LT, Jason Peters, played like, well, like a guy who is four months away from his 39th birthday. LG Isaac Seumalo also struggled. They are hoping to get both Sanders and Johnson back this week, which will help. But they need a better overall run-blocking effort from everyone up front.

    They’ll be facing a Rams defense with a new defensive coordinator (37-year-old Brandon Stanley) and a new scheme (3-4), but the top priority will be the same: neutralize All-Pro DT Aaron Donald. In their Week 1 win over the Cowboys, the Rams did a decent job on Zeke Elliott and Tony Pollard, holding them to a combined 106 yards on 24 carries.

    EDGE: Rams

    When the Eagles throw the ball
    Carson Wentz was sacked a career-high eight times in the Washington loss. Some were his fault, some were not. But he has to do a better job of getting rid of the ball. He was under pressure on 40 percent of his dropbacks last week. That was the second-highest percentage in the league in Week 1.

    The Eagles have to find a way to slow down All-Pro DT Aaron Donald, who had 10 QB pressures vs. the Cowboys. Even with the pressure he faced, Wentz had an outstanding first half, completing 14 of his first 18 passes and throwing two TD passes to help spot the Eagles to a 17-0 lead. But then things went to hell.

    Even with the return of DeSean Jackson and the additions of rookie WRs Jalen Reagor and John Hightower, the Eagles used 12-personnel 56.7% of the time. TE Dallas Goedert had possibly the best game of his career, catching eight balls for 101 yards and a TD. Wentz hit Goedert and Reagor early with deep balls, but missed his last five 20-plus-yard throws. He targeted Jackson, Reagor and Hightower 15 times Sunday, but they combined for just four catches.

    Stanley likes to move his defensive backs around and disguise coverages. The speed with which Wentz is able to diagnose those coverages and locate All-Pro corner Jalen Ramsey will be as critical with respect to the line’s ability to keep Donald out of his lap.

    Edge: Eagles

    When the Rams run the ball
    With Todd Gurley gone, the Rams are turning to a share-the-load running attack featuring veteran Malcolm Brown, second-round rookie Cam Akers, and 2019 third-round pick Darrell Henderson. And there’s apparently going to be a big load to share if their Week 1 win over the Cowboys is any indication. Forty of their 72 offensive plays against Dallas, or 55.2 percent, were run plays.

    Brown, who has never had more than 69 rushing attempts in any of his previous five NFL seasons, had a team-high 18 on Sunday. He and Akers both are powerful 215-plus-pound backs, while the 5-foot-8, 205-pound Henderson, who has been nursing a hamstring injury and had just three carries in Week 1, is kind of their version of Boston Scott.

    The Rams only averaged 3.8 yards per carry overall against the Cowboys but were very productive running the ball on first down, which set up manageable third downs. Brown averaged 6.6 yards per carry on first down, including runs of 12, 11, 8 and 6 (twice) yards.

    It will be interesting to see whether Rams coach Sean McVay repeats his run-heavy approach this week. In two previous meetings with Doug Pederson’s Eagles, McVay’s Rams ran the ball just 18 and 17 times. Last week, Washington ran the ball 36 times against the Eagles but averaged just 2.2 yards per carry.

    Edge: Eagles

    When the Rams throw the ball
    The Rams are predominantly an 11-personnel (three wide receivers) team. Jared Goff completed three passes of 30-plus yards vs. Dallas in Week 1 and averaged 8.9 yards per attempt, but didn’t have a touchdown pass. He is coming off a subpar season in which he threw 16 interceptions and finished 22nd in passing and 28th in touchdown percentage.

    He has an experienced receiving corps headed by Robert Woods and slot receiver Cooper Kupp. The Rams added a burner in the draft in second-rounder Van Jefferson. Woods has had 1,100-plus receiving yards each of the last two seasons. Kupp had 94 receptions and 10 touchdowns last year. A league-high 37 of those 94 came on third down. He’ll be matched up Sunday against his former Rams teammate, slot corner Nickell Robey-Coleman. Goff also has two capable pass-catching tight ends in Tyler Higbee and Gerald Everett.

    Cornerback Darius Slay had a solid Eagles debut. Matched up against Washington’s Terry McLaurin, who put up 250 receiving yards and two TDs against the Eagles last year in two meetings, he held McLaurin to five catches for 61 yards and no TDs. He’ll likely spend most of Sunday shadowing Woods, while Robey-Coleman battles Kupp.

    The Eagles need to get pressure on Goff. He finished 22nd in completion percentage when under pressure (42.3) last year. Against Dallas, he completed just 1 of 6 passes and threw his only interception when under pressure.

    Edge: Even

    Special teams
    The Eagles’ Jake Elliott entered the season with a solid 84.1 career field-goal accuracy mark. He’s never missed more than five FGAs in any of his three NFL seasons. The Rams didn’t re-sign their longtime kicker, Greg Zuerlein, after he converted just 72.9% of his FG attempts last year. They’ve replaced him with a rookie, seventh-rounder Sam Sloman of Miami of Ohio. Sloman got off to an inauspicious start in the win over Dallas. He hit the left upright with an early 29-yard attempt.

    The Rams’ Johnny Hekker is one of the best punters in league history. His 47.0-yard career average is the best among active punters and second only to Shane Lechler all-time. But the Eagles’ Cameron Johnston has quickly developed into one of the league’s top young punters. He’s finished in the top 10 in both gross and net average in each of his first two years. Last week against Washington, he averaged 53.6 yards per attempt on five kicks, and put three of them inside the 20. Washington averaged just 3.4 yards per return.

    The Eagles’ Jalen Reagor averaged 17.8 yards on PRs last year at TCU, but still has to prove to Dave Fipp that he can hang on to the ball. Greg Ward is a more dependable, but slightly less explosive alternative. The Rams are using slot receiver Cooper Kupp on punt returns. He had four fair catches and no returns against Dallas. Prior to that, he had handled just three punts in his NFL career.

    Edge: Eagles

    Intangibles
    With most teams not allowing fans, the home-field advantage is pretty much nonexistent. Home teams were 8-8 in Week 1. While the popular perception is that Sean McVay is way smarter than Doug Pederson, Pederson is 2-0 against McVay, beating him twice on the road.

    Edge: Even

    Prediction
    Rams 20, Eagles 17

    Key matchups
    Eagles interior offensive line vs. Rams DT Aaron Donald: The Cowboys’ Zack Martin is the best guard in the NFL, and Donald had him for lunch in Week 1. He had 10 QB pressures. Jason Kelce and Co. have to find a way to slow him down. Advantage: Rams

    Eagles slot corner Nickell Robey-Coleman vs. Rams slot receiver Cooper Kupp: Kupp had a league-high 37 third-down receptions last season, but nobody knows him as well as his former Rams teammate. Advantage: Rams

    Eagles wide receiver DeSean Jackson vs. Rams CB Jalen Ramsey: Ramsey’s one of the best corners in the league and has a new $21 million-a-year deal to prove it. The 33-year-old Jackson had just two catches on seven targets vs. Washington. Advantage: Rams

    Keys to the game
    Protect Wentz. This didn’t work out so well last week, though Wentz and his refusal to get rid of the ball was a big part of the problem. Under new defensive coordinator Brandon Stanley, the Rams try to disguise their coverages and slow up the whole get-the-ball-out process. Wentz needs to quickly decipher what he’s looking at, and his blockers need to slow down Aaron Donald and Michael Brockers.

    Stop the run. The Rams ran the ball 40 times (for 153 yards) against Dallas. Goff is an effective play-action QB who averaged 8.9 yards per attempt in Week 1. Malcolm Brown averaged 6.6 yards per carry on first down. Eagles need to neutralize the Rams’ rushing attack on first and second downs and put Goff in obvious passing situations. Last week, 11 of the Rams’ 17 third-down situations were four yards or less.

    Stick with what has worked. In both of the Eagles’ previous two wins over Sean McVay’s Rams, they did two things: 1) won the turnover battle; and 2) got off to fast starts. In ’18, they scored on three of their first four possessions and won the TO battle, 3-1. In ’17, they also scored on three of their first four possessions and won the turnover battle, 2-1. Wash, rinse, repeat.

    in reply to: around the NFC west #121165
    Avatar photozn
    Moderator

    Speed_Kills

    I read this, the 49ers have some issues: https://www.ninersnation.com/2020/9/14/21437155/49ers-injury-updates-george-kittle-has-a-knee-sprain-deebo-samuel-expected-back-by-week-4

    we see it every year… we see a team come out of nowhere to be a playoff team or in the case of the 49ers go to the SB and we also see teams collapse … usually because they cannot survive major injuries

    The 49ers have been dealing with some very significant injuries from the very beginning of camp. They cannot win this division if these kinds of injuries keep up

    they have no WRs… I wouldn’t be shocked if they tried to trade for Beckham or Robinson

    And they cannot lose Kittle for an extended period of time and it appears his injury is significant

    in reply to: our reactions to the Dallas game #121162
    Avatar photozn
    Moderator

    alyoshamucci

    Welcome to game one of the apocalypse series. I’m honestly really happy we had a season … I felt 95% sure we would based on my knowledge of one of our society’s 25 problems right now, but there could have been dinosaurs at any moment so I was holding my breath.

    There were things I wanted to see and for the most part I got to see them.

    I had a feeling we’d beat them because they had injury issues (which worsened during the game) but I didn’t think it would be our defense really doing it and I didn’t expect it to be that close.

    The Great

    1) Barely any pressure on Jared. Offensive line looked cohesive and solid.

    2) Jordan Freaking Fuller. Can’t measure instincts. I didn’t get to see much of his play at OSU because they simply were too good up front, safeties didn’t make tackles. Nonetheless I feel as a draft geek I totally missed on a kid who is looking to be not only a steal, but like a quality vet addition to an already talented secondary. I’m sure he’ll be scrutinized ad infinitum the rest of the year, but I’d suggest against worrying about a few mistakes and just enjoying good solid safety play from a hitter.

    3) Ramsey’s hit on Cooper … not only did he peel off his guy, but he did what most CBs can’t do … he hist like a safety when he arrives … the sheer violence has to be a shock on the perimeter.

    4) The pass to Jefferson down the sideline. Thing o’ beauty.

    5) Seeing Whit fired up at 38 years old after driving his guy 8 yards off the ball in the run game. Excitement matters.

    The Good

    6) Let’s get Robert extended, thanks. One of the most underrated players in football.

    7) The sheer amount of weapons on offense. “Here, try to cover our 4th WR” … “Oh and here’s our 3rd RB” …

    8) Austin Corbett and Noteboom. Not the lineup I was expecting 2 months ago.

    9) Higbee beating CBs on slants and moving like a WR until he gets the ball, then moving like a mac truck after.

    10) Notable high five to Aldon Smith coming back after 5 freaking years. Makes me happy when anyone can recover.

    11) AD look just as good if not better.

    12) Floyd got enough pressure to make me think he can replace Fowler’s production. I’ll have to see more, but I’m optimistic.

    13) Cam’s feet …

    The Bad

    14) Kiser’s missed tackles. Clean it up dude. Plenty of talent in round 2 next year to replace you.

    15) Sloman’s kicks, but not because he missed. Because they’re low.

    16) Goff not taking the deep throw to Kupp at the end of the game … we snuck away with that win but we could have iced it.

    17) Gerald. Catch the ball. We want at least a 4th round comp from you.

    18) Is it because he’s from FSU and he expects bad blocking? Is this law of attraction stuff? Why was the run blocking so much worse for Cam?

    19) The calling of the sweep to Brown … you do not ask the slow guy to do a sweep against a fast defense in that situation.

    20) Lack of outside pressure from “the other guys” … I’ll be wayyyyyy happier when TL is back.

    The Ugly

    21) The hit to the head of Goff on the INT. HOW DO YOU MISS THAT?

    22) Zeke’s TD he faked out 4 guys on the goal line? Seriously?

    23) Jarwin’s no contact knee injury … sorry dude.

    Outlook vs Eagles

    24) We should sack Wentz 10 times and win by 20. We’re hungry and they’re reeling.

    in reply to: OL talk … September #121157
    Avatar photozn
    Moderator

    CierraRam

    Corbett is looking more and more like a steal.

    As each game went by last season Corbett played just a little better in each. This game last night he was a different player and it was against an upper echelon defensive front. Big improvement!!

    Cornell29

    Game 1

    Whitworth received a 95.2 overall grade, which is the highest amongst LT’s in week 1. Blythe (81.9) was 3rd overall (amongst C’s) and Corbett (80.3) was 6th overall (amongst G’s).

    in reply to: tweets … 9/16 #121155
    Avatar photozn
    Moderator

    J.B. Long@JB_Long
    Apropos of nothing: Between the Rams (a) needing to tackle better and (b) cover one of the most prolific TE duos in the league this Sunday … I’d be surprised if Taylor Rapp doesn’t play a more snaps on defense against the Eagles.

    Adam Schefter@AdamSchefter
    After missing last week vs Washington, both Eagles’ RB Miles Sanders and OT Lane Johnson are on track to play this week vs Los Angeles.

    Lindsey Thiry@LindseyThiry
    Asked by an LA media member to sum up the game between the Eagles and Washington, Eagles coach Doug Pederson deadpans on a conference call: “You didn’t miss anything.” 😂

    Jourdan Rodrigue@JourdanRodrigue
    Ezekiel Elliott had to work in pass-pro quite a bit (somewhat unsuccessfully) to account for Aaron Donald. Pederson says his RBs need to start mentally preparing right now for the uniquely physical matchup they face when they have to “sacrifice the route” to get in Donald’s path.

    in reply to: around the NFC west #121154
    Avatar photozn
    Moderator

    in reply to: tweets … 9/16 #121153
    Avatar photozn
    Moderator

    in reply to: tweets … 9/16 #121152
    Avatar photozn
    Moderator

    in reply to: OL talk … September #121150
    Avatar photozn
    Moderator

    from https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2020/09/16/rams-andrew-whitworth-pff-grade-week-1/

    Whitworth locked down the left side of the Rams’ line. He earned a 95.2 overall grade from Pro Football Focus in the season opener, which was the second-highest among all offensive players in the NFL.

    in reply to: police violence #121149
    Avatar photozn
    Moderator

    from The Police Are Lying in LA and the Media Is Falling for It—Again
    In the wake of the brutal shooting of two police officers, the sheriff’s department is trying to fabricate a case against Black Lives Matter, and journalists are playing along.

    https://www.thenation.com/article/society/la-shooting-police-lies/

    …

    Skepticism of police statements should be a basic requirement of competent journalism, but it is particularly critical in times like this, when police have a reason to lie. The police are angry at the attempted murder of two officers, and they want other people to be angry, so they are not even trying to provide an accurate account of events. Instead, they are trying to build a case against Black Lives Matter.

    Los Angeles County Sheriff Alex Villanueva (whose office tweeted out the misleading story about “protesters” at the hospital) could barely contain his contempt for BLM protesters in his statement about the shooting. “This is just a somber reminder that this is a dangerous job, and actions and words have consequences. Our job does not get any easier because people do not like law enforcement,” Villanueva said. “It pisses me off. It dismays me at the same time.”

    In this statement, Villanueva is trying to draw a direct line between the “actions and words” of protesters to the attempted murder of police officers. He seems less interested in drawing a line from police brutality and the murder of Black people to the attempted murder of police officers.

    The reality is that we don’t know why the suspect tried to kill those two officers, but we can see with our own eyes that his actions were wrong and dangerously misguided. Speculation into his motives is irresponsible absent evidence. It’s wrong for journalists to speculate, and it’s wrong for journalists to repeat the unverified, potentially unhinged speculations of the LA County sheriff without any evidence whatsoever.

    It’s not like the social justice organization ambushed two police officers in a parked car. It’s not like social justice organizations have a history of targeting police officers for murder. But the person who did target and ambush police officers appears to be Black and thus, apparently, it’s all our faults. That’s how racial profiling works, don’t you know.

    So the police already have their villain, and they are enacting their retribution. On Sunday, LA County sheriff’s deputies shut down a “protest encampment” across from LA City Hall. The holdouts had been there for months, living peacefully, but cops cleared it mere hours after the shooting. Cops claim it was taken down because of “deteriorating conditions,” but nobody is required to be addled enough to believe them.

    The inability and unwillingness of the media to accurately report on police lies and sensationalism will have the effect of excusing additional acts of police brutality. The police will point to the one guy who shot police officers (for reasons not yet known) and the one dude who shouted “I hope y’all die” as justification for cops to go out on the street tonight and violate the constitutional rights of Black people, or beat Black people, or kill Black people. And by refusing to call out police hysteria, the media will make that hysteria seem reasonable.

    Given the stakes, it’s not too much to ask the media to do its job. It’s not too much to ask journalists to act like journalists instead of stenographers. If I can restrain myself from being a snarky, irresponsible axe-grinder when it comes to “blue lives,” it’s not too much to ask mainstream sources to think before retweeting or republishing the latest round of blue lies.

Viewing 30 posts - 19,231 through 19,260 (of 48,050 total)