Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
wvParticipantI dont even wanna think about the state of the message-boards,
if the Rams/Fisher lose at home,
after a bye, to the Browns.w
vI think there’s a good chance they will do just that.
If they do, I think a reasonable response would simply be to say, “Yeah. Saw that one coming.”
It’s a very simple situation. If the Rams are serious about being competitive, they’ll make a statement in this game. They have the talent for that.
If they don’t … we’ll know that the Fisher Pattern is still in effect. Fail. Tease. Fail. Repeat.
=====================
Well, i cant see them making the playoffs if they start 2-4.
So, its essentially, basically, probably a ‘must win’
with regard to the playoffs this year.w
v
wvParticipantMy impression of the Browns was that they aren’t good but they are scrappy. They won’t come into the ED ready to roll over. The Rams can’t afford to sleep walk through this game.
I dont even wanna think about the state of the message-boards,
if the Rams/Fisher lose at home,
after a bye, to the Browns.w
v
wvParticipantI dont really care if they trade him this year,
but i damn sure dont want him back ‘next’ year.“..they also could part ways with him after the year with a cap savings of nearly $5.7 million…”
w
v
wvParticipantLooks like the NFC West has crashed.
w
v
wvParticipantdenver’s offense might be worse than the rams.
Johnny Football is drinking again,
Cleveland loses a gut-wrencher in OTin Cleveland, and Rams had a Bye and play at home.
Now dammit, good teams are supposed
to win games like this.Right?
w
v
wvParticipant
wvParticipant. I mean, Jake had a history
of injuries. Some posters thot he was put together with duck-tape
before the Rams signed him.He had 2 separate arm surgeries. So what he had was a history of 2 separate arm surgeries. The “put together with duct tape” thing to me was just not credible. The issue was whether he could still play with the arms. And, he could. Not like his old self, but he could.
To me there is no other side to the story. He had 2 arm surgeries and could still play. None of that predicts, foreshadows, or pre-determines 2 injuries to the same knee. That’s just plain bad luck.
People say sometimes, if a guy has had a couple of injuries, he’s set up for more. But see the thing is, they say that as if it were true, and never prove it. They just act like the assumption is real. Well, I say, prove it. What percentage of players who are still within the 4-7 year “prime years” window have one surgery and are therefore doomed to others? Percentages would mean something to me. Cracker barrel armchair wisdom? Not so much.
Well, i know thats how you view it.
Myself, I dunno. Looking back there were people
who thought he had regressed and was not the same
Jake Long who’d been in the pro-bowls.So, there’s different views on whether
it counts as a bad signing or an unlucky signing.w
v
wvParticipantBrowns driving — three mins left. Good game.
…two minutes left — Browns on Denver’s 14 yard line.
Cleveland has a tough team. McCown is capable.
I like it. The Rams will have their hands full.
Lets see if they are up to it.
Cleveland will kick their ass
if they play poorlyw
v
wvParticipantthe tricky part is the part you called “unlucky”.
There’s people that would call those players
“bad signings”.Yeah I have had long, long disputes over the years with guys who just do not understand the effect of injuries.
When Wells and Long were playing okay in 2013, the Rams OL was ranked 13th by PFF.
It’s similar to people blaming all of 2007 on Bulger when that year the OL lost 10 guys to injury, including 4 for the season. There were people who could never get their heads around the fact that the OL injuries made a difference.
The issue with Long in 2013 was whether he had recovered enough from 2 arm injuries to play effectively. Well, he played fine that year…not like his old pro-bowl self, but effectively in a play action offense. The 2 arms did not foreshadow 2 knees. Anyone who thinks so, IMO, is just being superstitious.
.
I can see several different sides of it. I mean, Jake had a history
of injuries. Some posters thot he was put together with duck-tape
before the Rams signed him. So, i can see giving Snisher
a failing grade on the Jake Long signing.Personally, i liked the signing at the time.
I thought he was worth the risk, etc.Etc and so forth.
w
v
wvParticipantcleveland pick six, to go up on denver — Peyton comes right back
with a 75 yard bomb — Den 23 Cleve 20. Late in 4th
wvParticipantWell how do you guys view Snisher’s free-agent signings
so far?Cortland Finnegan, J. Cook, Jake Long, K Britt,
William Hayes…who else?w
vTrades AND FAs:
Good: Hayes, BarronOkay to Good-ish: Langford, Fairley, Ayers, Chris Williams, Barksdale, Richardson, Turner, Britt, Clemens, Dunbar, Reynolds
Unlucky: Long, Wells, Finnegan
Bad: Cook, joseph.
I would say it was okay to good-ish if it weren’t for the bad luck with guys getting injured.
Cook was a bad signing though, no 2 ways about it.
Mostly, however, what they did was sign inexpensive role players and rotation types. Look at the “okay to good-ish” list.
The UDFA list is far better though.
…
Interesting way to look at it. Obviously
the tricky part is the part you called “unlucky”.There’s people that would call those players
“bad signings”.I dunno, myself.
w
v
wvParticipantWell, I just thought I’d put in my 45 cents. (Hey–inflation!)
I don’t know if folks have an accurate sense of my view of Fisher. I don’t consider myself a basher. I am not committed to removing him. Some folks in this thread do well to say, yeah, but who would replace him? And I can easily imagine worse.
I think his greatest contribution is to stabilize an organization. I dunno know much about what he did in TENN, but I understand stability under transitional duress is a big part of his success there. With us, he has established team stability under a lot of duress. That’s important.
My biggest problem with him is different from what seems to come through to folks reading my stuff. It is not about W/L record. Never has been.
It’s about his failure to lead the Rams as a team to play with discipline and consistency at or near their ceiling. They just do not compete at a high level in relationship to their talent and capability.
I think that’s damning to a guy making a claim to be a quality HC.
And, one more time, albeit briefly, I recall last year. When Sam went down, a winning W/L record probably went out the window. But even WITHOUT SAM, our defense, which was talented and not injury-riddled, was a roller coaster ride of performance. And we repeatedly lost games from winning positions.
That’s not something that can be blamed on injuries to QB or OL. It’s on the team’s discipline and performance. And in football, a coach’s game, that falls on the HC.
Looking ahead … he needs to establish his ability to lead a team to play at or near its ceiling on a consistent basis. He has not done it yet and hasn’t done it this year.
WV’s original post is right. This year is his test. He needs to raise the PERFORMANCE level of the team on a consistent basis. There is reason to hope, but I’m pretty doubtful that we won’t continue to see the same old mistake-riddled, undisciplined gyrations of performance that we’ve seen this year and the 3 foregoing years.
If that continues, he needs to go. And, again, I’m not putting a W/L record on it. Hell, we may get more injuries. But I want to see a team that competes every damn week, even if we lose. (And BTW, we competed against GB in a sense, but not really. We shot ourselves in every limb we had.) It Fisher cannot get this team to play its heart out every week, he doesn’t deserve to be a HC.
Of course, Zooey is right. Doesn’t matter what happens–Stan won’t fire him. When I say “He would need to go,” I am under no delusion that it would actually happen.
Assuming for a moment you are right about them being “undisciplined”,
do you think Fisher trades “fierceness” for discipline ?w
v
wvParticipantCleveland hanging in there with the undefeated Broncos:
Denver 16
Cleve 14
with nine mins left.w
vOctober 18, 2015 at 3:23 pm in reply to: Minnesota Vikings: Should the team move on from Cordarrelle Patterson? #32554
wvParticipantIt would double the “blame the OC”
threads, I betI see you post at the herd now and then. One fair warning: don’t talk like that there. They are strong there with the “blame the OC” force. Deviations are met with baffled questionings of your sanity and common sense (I exaggerate for fun).
I will always tread lightly over there
on the Big-Board. No Bozo-talk, no non-football stuff,
no Tapirs, no dissertations on Toasters…This little board is always home.
I can say what i want over here — I mean
if wanna scold Ag for being a low-down
Viking fan, i can do it.w
v
wvParticipantWell how do you guys view Snisher’s free-agent signings
so far?Cortland Finnegan, J. Cook, Jake Long, K Britt,
William Hayes…who else?w
vOctober 18, 2015 at 10:07 am in reply to: Minnesota Vikings: Should the team move on from Cordarrelle Patterson? #32536
wvParticipantI didnt realize he was having such a bad year.
Tavon and Cordarelle on the same team? That
might be funny. Or fun. Or somethin. I dunno.It would double the “blame the OC”
threads, I bet 🙂w
v
wvParticipanthttp://www.breitbart.com/sports/2015/10/16/johnny-manziel-admits-to-drinking-again/
I personally would like the mass-media to arrange
a steel cage match
between Johnny Manziel and Tim Tebow.w
vOctober 17, 2015 at 9:41 pm in reply to: vid: Michigan v. Michigan State & improbable ending for Harbaugh #32503
wvParticipantI’d never heard that Michigan State coach before,
but I listened to his interview after the hi-lite vid,
and he seemed like a straight-shooter.w
vOctober 17, 2015 at 8:49 pm in reply to: A closer look at what could be next for Rams and Saffold #32501
wvParticipantI think the two big factors are:
1 Is the post-surgery shoulder solid,
and,
2 What other free agent VET guards
would be available if they released Saffold.w
v
wvParticipant==
thehammer
Foles ran a 4.68 short shuttle and 7.14 3 cone…basically the worst scores by a qb going back to 2002…as far back as nfldraftscout kept records. A heavy legged, bad athlete that struggles moving inside the pocket. Flacco ran a 4.27 and a 6.82 in comparison.
my problem with Foles. isn’t his slow feet .it’s the mental part. I went back rewatched all his int’s at Philly. They were almost all identical..slow in his reads getting the ball to his 2nd receiver…just consistently late which shows in his time in the pocket.
Foles has averaged 2.84 sec in time to throw throw the ball(2.63 in 2015)for his career…scary slow times for a pocket passer..Brady and P Manning, two more bad athletes, avg around 2.3 secs and are always among the quickest in time to throw in the nfl. .
.5 seconds is an eternity in the pocket. He ain’t doing the young oline any favors and even Mannion, another bad athlete, only needed 2.35 secs to throw in the preseason…
bad athlete who is slow in his reads which shows in his play action qb rating of 111.3 and bad non play action qb rating of 66.5..also Foles has thrown away 16 balls this season the most in the nfl and almost twice as the next qb… Slow dropping back into the pocket and slow finding his 2nd option so often has to just throw the ball out of bounds when pressured
Foles is a qb you can lose with but that might be a tad harsh. Best comparision might be Matt Schaub at Houston but Schaub had Andre Johnson to throw to who could easily beat man coverage…Rams don’t have wr on the team who wins 1 v. 1
Foles has a lot to like, hard worker, good size, great touch on his intermediate, long routes and is fearless… BUT also has serious negatives…struggles without play action, needs great pass protection and a good #1 wr capable of winning 1 v. 1 battles to be effective.
————————–
Interesting stuff. Lots to wonder about with Mr. Foles.
On the other side of the ledger — take another look
at THE clutch pass to Stedman Bailey. That
pass is just F’ing Awesome. A game-winner.w
v
wvParticipantSure looks like spearing in that photo.
Course, the Refs dont have the ability
to stop reality and look at things
all slowed-down or stopped.
Ya know.I saw an episode once where Some aliens
on the Outer Limits
had that ability. But i dont think refs
have the technology.w
v
wvParticipantI wouldn’t mind seeing the Browns game.
I dont believe I’ve wanted to actually see
a Browns games since….um….Brian Sipe?w
v
wvParticipantthat’s pretty much how i feel. as of now, i’m happy with him as the head coach. and i fully expect this team to finish with a winning record.
but i might feel differently when the season ends and no progress has been made.
—————————-
Sometimes it just depends who’s available. I mean
if Sid Gillman or Bill Walsh is available,
I’d probly be in favor of a change, myself.My own view of Fisher is on record — I think
he can definitely build a “winning team” ie.,
a team that can win a division. I just dont
know if he can be more than a Shottenheimer-Chuck-Knox
type. I dunno.My biggest concern is with his ideas about Offense.
I am not sure about his notions in regard to the
passing-game. I dunno.w
v
wvParticipantYep, the players know Fisher’s system well.
Stuck at .500 play over the last 3 1/2 years.————————
Well its been a slow, up-and-down, frustrating,
decade aint it.I ‘think’ we are nearing the end of the tunnel,
and I ‘think’ there is light at the end of the
tunnel. I think.Friend of mine just came back from New Mexico, btw.
She said NM has the best rocks in America.w
v
wvParticipant===========================
Laram — Anbody focus on Greg Robinson in that film?IF so, anybody that thought that TG got most of his yards running behind GRob should know better now.
GRob was doing nothing notable in those runs by Gurley, and the best block I saw him make was pretty close to a cut block.
I don’t recall if somebody had the defender high, GRob cut him low creating a seal.
GRob would have to be my most disappointing player.
I had hope for the proverbial, “Year 2 leap”, that I have yet to see thus far.
Btw, watch Tim Barnes, he is relentless.
He’ll hit his guy then quickly get to the second level and hit another guy.
He’s showing good power knocking guys completely out of the whole with a punch.
Happy for him.
==========================-
This reply was modified 10 years, 12 months ago by
wv.
wvParticipantWell that was quite good.
w
v
wvParticipantI heard this on 101, the Rams had the hardest schedule for the first 5 games and now have the 30th hardest schedule
————————–
I dunno much about the Browns. Apparently,
McCown is doing good things:“…McCown’s career- and record-setting performance led the Browns to a 33-30 overtime win in Baltimore. He became the first Browns quarterback in franchise history to throw for over 300 yards in three consecutive games and also set the team’s single-game passing record with 457 yards through the air. He also became the first signal-caller in NFL history to throw for more than 450 yards with two touchdowns while running for another score without throwing an interception in a single game…”
w
v
wvParticipantWell, Foles is ‘saying’ all the right things.
w
v============
Foles picks up the pieces after career-worst game
• By Jim Thomas
http://www.stltoday.com….
“I felt all right,” Foles said with a shrug. “I was able to get out of bed, and get some work in and get the blood flowing again. I felt good. Good Lord protected the body throughout the game, so I feel good.”…
“Nick’s tough,” said linebacker James Laurinaitis. “Not just physically; he’s mentally tough. Even when things aren’t going well, you won’t see him on the sidelines pouting. … He really just forgets about it and goes out there the next drive and believes the next drive’s gonna be successful. In the long run that’s gonna help us.
“When you have a QB that’s even-keel like that — the guys around him, it kind of gives them more confidence. He’s not gonna shy away from his mistakes. He’ll go up to the guys and say: ‘It was my bad, next time we’re gonna put points on the board.’ ”,,,
“Developing character you learn from mistakes,” Foles said. “It’s just how do you learn from those things? I look at them critically, and I want to get back on the practice field and improve on the things I didn’t do well. So this time is very valuable.”,,,
“How can I get a little bit better this week?” Foles said. “How can I get a little bit better today? You can see guys are doing that, and that’s what we’ve gotta keep doing.”…
“I feel like I progressed,” Foles said. “There’s definitely been some growing pains, and I’m learning. … I want to keep building, keep improving. The big thing is just being consistent every week and putting us in a situation where we can win the game.”…
wvParticipantyeah. if they can’t make a run here, i seriously gotta wonder if the rams need to be thinking about a new head coach.
at this point with the talent they’ve added it’s time we see some results.
i hope that oline is working out the kinks during the bye week.
——————
For better or worse, rightly or wrongly, I figure
Kroenke will give Fisher a fifth
year, as long as he hovers around .500 this year.I mean, a change now, might make things worse. Ya know.
The players know this system — would they play better
if they had to learn a new system?At any rate, yeah, the team has an opportunity
here to make a run. If they dont, I’m gonna
be quite disappointed. They have the talent.Run Gurley, run Tavon, dont turn it over.
w
v
wvParticipantThot this was interesting:
“…The company now makes most of its money from licensing its ubiquitous brand and logo across the world — 40 percent of that business is in China even though the magazine is not available there — for bath products, fragrances, clothing, liquor and jewelry among other merchandise. Nudity in the magazine risks complaints from shoppers, and diminished distribution…”
w
v -
This reply was modified 10 years, 12 months ago by
-
AuthorPosts

