Forum Replies Created

Viewing 30 posts - 10,591 through 10,620 (of 12,970 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: reporters set up the Oct. 4 ARZ game #31485
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    Bernie is right if his point is the Cardinal organization
    has done a great job. They have. Seattle and Arizona
    have made a lot of good decisions.

    w
    v

    in reply to: La on GW's gameplan for the Steelers #31468
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    Well, i dont really get into the “to press or not to press”
    argument — I’m sticking to the
    “stop the damn RUN” argument.

    If they stop the run, everything
    will be good enuff on defense.

    w
    v

    in reply to: I mean, what do I care? #31460
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    Well as usual, RFL raises questions about the Team
    and,
    the relationship between the team and the ‘fan.’

    Personally, yes, i am still ‘invested’ in the team,
    even if it loses all the rest of its games. I dont
    think thats good or bad, and i dont think its the
    only way to be a fan, but, its how i experience/create
    my relationship with the Rams.

    Now, do I get ‘more’ pumped, ‘more’ excited,
    ‘more’ invested when they are winning and contending ?
    Yeah, i do. Sure. (course it also hurts more when they
    lose in the playoffs, etc — I ‘still’ cant watch that
    Vinateri kick or the Stallworth Catch)

    …and as I’ve said a gazillion times — I dont expect
    this season to play out like the last two Fisher years.
    Too much talent, imho. I expect them to be right there
    in the hunt for that last wildcard berth. I think they
    will win a bunch of games after the bye. Thats what
    I’m expecting. Is there an “evidence” to support that
    view? Enh, I dunno. My ‘evidence’ would simply be
    my assessment of the collection of “talent” — they have
    a lot, imho. We’ll see, though.

    w
    v

    in reply to: old & new power rankings…through Week 8 #31455
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    Foles is rated 15th among 32 starting QBs.
    Britt 14th out of 74 ranked WRs (Austin 70th).
    Cook and Kendricks 18th and 28th, respectively, among 40 ranked TEs.
    The Rams OL is rated 29th in run blocking, 16th in pass protection.
    The Rams DL 11th vs. the run, 1st in pass rush.

    It really is interesting that the young, strong,
    Rams Olinemen, have not been able to create
    running lanes.

    Why is that, exactly?
    They are healthy, they are big,
    they are strong… ?

    I expected trouble, early
    in the pass-pro.

    w
    v

    in reply to: Rams sign Toon to PS, move McGee to reg roster, and cut Pead. #31452
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    A 2nd round bust at RB is annoying.

    Pead was one of the most annoying draft choices
    i can remember in the last ten years.

    w
    v

    in reply to: Rams sign Toon to PS, move McGee to reg roster, and cut Pead. #31451
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    Who returnes kickoffs? Cunningham? Really, I don’t care, as long as it’s someone who won’t fumble.

    Amen
    w
    v

    in reply to: Rams News Recap: Sept. 28 #31406
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    Todd Gurley: I didn’t get to show my explosiveness yet
    [www.nfl.com]
    By Kevin Patra
    Around the NFL writer
    Published: Sept. 28, 2015 at 09:50 a.m. Updated: Sept. 28, 2015 at 05:02 p.m.
    After much anticipation, No. 10 overall pick Todd Gurley played his first football game since blowing out an ACL on Nov. 15, 2014.

    The St. Louis Rams’ running back entered the 12-6 loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers early in the second quarter and took his first carry for two yards.

    Every game, all season

    “I knew I was going to be fine after that,” Gurley said of getting hit, via ESPN. “It definitely felt good to just be back out there on the field again.”

    The Rams predictably kept the rookie’s carries to a minimum. Gurley toted the ball just nine times for six yards as St. Louis’ offense could get nothing going on the ground or otherwise.

    Despite the lackluster start to his career, Gurley said he didn’t feel rusty. However, the back admitted it’ll take time before he’s back to full speed.

    “It’s just the first game,” Gurley said. “I’ve got to get in the groove of things.

    “I feel like I’ve still got the explosiveness. I definitely didn’t get to show it today but like I said, we’ll pick back up on things and try to get things rolling next week.”

    As we witnessed Sunday, the Rams need a playmaker with the ability Gurley displayed in college to carry the offensive load for a team that lacked an identity in Week 3. Expect the rookie’s work to increase steadily each week.

    in reply to: Rams versus Steelers: postgame thoughts? #31405
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    We saw last week how much this offense is going to struggle.

    We saw this week how good the defense can be.

    So this week shows a lot more promise than last week.

    Heck most people had written off the Pitt. game in advance as a blow-out.

    Cigz and Boras are new at this, the OL is far more inexperienced than most anyone can name and I mean in NFL history, and I said before the season that Foles would need at least decent OL play and a running game to play well. That means a struggling offense.

    (Actually what I said was that Foles would need a relatively healthy OL and a running threat. But the point is that a line with multiple simultaneous injuries cannot play effectively, and since a young OL with 2 rookies and a green LOT can’t play effectively … at first … either, it’s 6 of one and half a dozen of the other.)

    So the defensive play was encouraging. The offense in the redzone when they could have taken the game? Annoying. (Especially since redzone offense was previously a strength with this team, except when Hill was qb.)

    When I see a mix of encouraging and disappointing things, I just ask which one looks structural and longterm. Are the disappointing things incurable? My answer is no. Are the encouraging things ephemeral or real? I say real.

    Unless some key injuries de-rail them I still see a winning season.

    ———————–

    This is prettymuch my view as well.

    Even if they go 1-4 and lots of fans are
    lighting torches and marching on the castle — i ‘still’
    think they might just have time to turn it around this
    season. I just see too much talent for this to
    play out like SOSAR. I just dont see it playing
    out that way — barring injuries.

    I think the caterpillar will rise
    to the top. Or somethin.
    I think. I dunno.

    w
    v

    in reply to: Prediction thread: Arizona Cardinals #31404
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    Rams must take care of the football against Arizona and they’ll have a chance. Kaepernick threw 4 ints against their defense–two went for touchdowns. If they play typical sloppy offense–they’ll get blown out. Cards also had a pick 6 against Chicago so this team can return those ints. Make the Cardinals EARN it against our defense. The Cards have not been tested by a great defense yet. The Rams will give them their biggest challenge there–but if the offense stumbles, gives up ints and turnovers, it’ll be a long day.

    The Rams CAN beat this team.

    But it depends on whether the good defense shows up and if the offense doesn’t go into meltdown.

    ===============================

    Well if I’m not mistaken, Arians/Palmer are just gonna
    say screw the pass-rush, ATTACK with passes all over
    the field – short, medium, deep, middle.

    It might be strength against stength. Ya know.
    Rams Pass Rush vs Cards Pass-attack

    w
    v

    in reply to: Prediction thread: Arizona Cardinals #31402
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    Agreed.

    w
    v

    in reply to: One game out of contention #31381
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    Myth: a cocoon and a chrysalis are the same thing. In fact, the chrysalis is a butterfly pupa, which is a hard skin which appears after the caterpillar’s final shedding of its skin when it’s attached to a leaf via a silk pad spun by the caterpillar. A cocoon is just a constructed silk casing used by moths and certain other types of insects.

    http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2012/04/a-cocoon-and-a-chrysalis-are-not-the-same-thing/

    Ok, well that confused me, more than i already was.
    A cocoon and a Chrysler are different? Like
    we needed a scientist to explain that? Geez.

    Anyway, back to my meta4 — do you think the Rams
    are more like an emerging Chrysler or Dodge Dart?

    Oh, and as to NERam’s post, all i can say is
    the Past is the Past. This is a new team
    with a new QB and new talent, and perhaps,
    a different future. Perhaps.

    w
    v

    in reply to: One game out of contention #31373
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    If I was a betting man, I’d put all my available funds on the Cardinals covering at home. I see pain in the desert.

    I dunno. The Rams were one play away from beating Pitt.
    And Arizona is not going to intimidate them; I mean, its a division foe
    so they know them well.

    I could see the Rams hanging in there and knocking Carson
    out, and maybe stealing an ugly win. I aint predicting
    it, but I could see it happening.

    I know what the rams have ‘been’ but I am not quite
    sure what they can ‘become’ this season. I know posters
    are mad and disgusted and all — but my gut/mind still
    sees a caterpillar struggling to emerge from the cocoon.
    Ya know. A spiny, slimy, striped caterpillar. Emerging.
    Slowly. Just my opinion. I know others see it
    differently.

    …wait….do caterpillars emerge from cocoons or
    is that moths. What do caterpillars emerge out of?
    I forget. I’m confused. Nevermind.

    w
    v

    in reply to: One game out of contention #31362
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    …oh, and the Cards are favored, at home, by 6.5 over
    the Rams.

    We have them right where we want them.

    w
    v
    =========
    schedule

    at Ariz
    at GB
    bye
    Cleve
    SF
    At Minn
    Chicago…

    • This reply was modified 11 years ago by Avatar photowv.
    in reply to: Rams versus Steelers: postgame thoughts? #31316
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    On if the false starts in the fourth quarter by the offensive line were possibly caused by the noise of the Steeler fans)

    Foles:“Yeah, I mean when we were in a red zone situation, it was getting pretty loud. They travel well. It’s a historic franchise. Everybody knows about their fans. You could probably go all around the world and there’s Steeler fans. They traveled well, but our fans were loud too throughout the day, so it was evenly matched. (I’m) thankful for our fans coming out as well.”

    (On if he felt like he was playing in a bowl game with the noise from both sets of fans)
    “Yeah, it is. It’s definitely a weird dynamic. It’s just something you deal with through the course of the game and just part of it.”
    ————————

    Unbelievable.

    w
    v

    in reply to: Rams versus Steelers: postgame thoughts? #31315
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    (On if the Rams had to go to a silent count due to opposing team crowd noise)
    “We did a little bit, down at the goal line. They travel great, they really travel great. So we welcome them. Hey, when the game started to swing in our favor, our fans got loud. So it’s good.”
    ———————–

    Are you kiddng me? They had to go to a silent count
    in their own building?

    Sigh

    w
    v

    in reply to: Rams versus Steelers: postgame thoughts? #31313
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    Anybody have anything to say about Gurley?

    Didn’t look very explosive from
    what little i saw.

    w
    v

    in reply to: Rams versus Steelers: postgame thoughts? #31308
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    It was good to see the defense turn things around. They gave up one longer run in the 2nd half, but were mostly solid vs the run.

    The Rams running game is shockingly bad. Whether they try to spread things out while running sideways before cutting up field, or just going straight up field it seems like defenses have guys waiting in the backfield as soon as the RB has the ball.

    Foles made a terrible decision to throw the ball on the INT, or he really didn’t see Allen, or both, or whatever.

    Well, why do you think they can’t run the ball? Any ideas?
    Why cant they execute long drives using a balanced offensive attack?

    w
    v

    in reply to: VW: Official car of the NE Patriots #31197
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    Not funny. Though I hope I can get one much cheaper as a result. Amazing technology yet it couldn’t keep up with ever stringent EPA mandates. Won’t be limited to VW either.

    I don’t think it’s because they COULDN’T keep up. It’s that it was cheaper to bypass the regulations.

    =======================================

    I wonder if any old-school ram fan,
    back in the 70’s,
    ever painted Horns on one of those
    old classic VW bugs ?

    I can visualize somethin like that.

    w
    v

    in reply to: NFL'S best punter, & Hekker's hang time #31184
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    Johnny Hekker is well on his way to being the best in the game. His amazing 5.6 second hag time illustrates how high is booming punts blast into the sky.

    Well, it’s only 2 typos.

    Those aren’t typos, they are quantum tunneling. Te “n” ad te “h” ave all tueled to a differet reality.

    =============================================

    I dunno. “5.6 second hag-time.”
    I thought it was some sort of new
    football term.

    Like maybe it was “frightening” or scary
    or somethin.

    w
    v
    ==
    http://www.thefreedictionary.com/hag

    hag 1 (hăg)
    n.
    1. Offensive An old woman considered to be ugly or frightening.
    2.
    a. A witch; a sorceress.
    b. Obsolete A female demon.
    3. A hagfish.
    [Middle English hagge, perhaps short for Old English hægtesse, witch.]

    hag 2 (hăg)
    n. Chiefly British
    1. A boggy area; a quagmire.
    2. A spot in boggy land that is softer or more solid than the surrounding area.
    3. A cutting in a peat bog.
    [Middle English, gap, chasm, of Scandinavian origin; akin to Old Norse högg; see kau- in Indo-European roots.]
    American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition.
    hag (hæɡ)

    • This reply was modified 11 years ago by Avatar photowv.
    • This reply was modified 11 years ago by Avatar photozn.
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    Is Ben-R one of the top Three QBs in the NFL?

    Cosell said he’s no longer a ‘move QB’; he’s a
    topnotch pocket QB now. He said his mental progression
    has now caught up with his physical ability.

    So, Greg Williams D has to contend with
    one of the best QBs,
    one of the best RBs
    and one of the best WRs.

    Good test.

    Should be interesting.

    I got no idea what’s gonna happen.

    I may get to see this one on tv cause
    Steeler games are often on wv-mom’s tv.

    What kind of food goes with a Steeler game?
    What kind of food is Pittsburgh known for?

    I ate Seattle-related food and the Rams beat them.
    I forgot to eat Washington-related food and they got stomped.
    Do the math.

    w
    v

    in reply to: Greg Cosell 9/25/15 – Podcast #31146
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    Cosell starts at the 3:11 mark.
    If you listen to anything before that
    you will risk losing brain cells.

    w
    v

    in reply to: Rams immature? #31117
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    Well, I dunno. I think if you look at the Fisher years,
    sure, they have been inconsistent, and they’ve had a lot of Young
    players, and sometimes maybe they’ve been what Trent calls “immature”.

    But its also true that they’ve played a LOT of games with a no.2 or no.3 QB,
    as we all know. And they didnt always have the talent on defense
    they have right now. This is the first year I’ve looked up and down
    their roster and thought to myself — this team is not talent-deficient
    at key positions. I mean, they are as talented as the Seahawks now.
    That just wasn’t the case in past years, imho.

    I guess my point is, THIS talented-version of the Rams
    has only played TWO games. So…we’ll see if they are “Immature”.
    I have to see more than one home game and one road game to say
    much though.

    Thats just me though. I know others disagree. Let a thousand flowers bloom.

    w
    v

    in reply to: Chip Kelly is 0 and 2…Arians is 2 and 0 #31098
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    Bruce Arians to team: ‘you aint shit’
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000537361/article/arians-message-to-20-cards-you-aint-bleep

    …Coach Bruce Arians was quick to dump cold water on all the premature praise aimed at his 2-0 Cardinals.

    “You ain’t (bleep)!” Arians told his players at the start of Wednesday’s team meeting, according to quarterback Carson Palmer, via the team’s official website.

    Arians went on tell his players they should be wary of the symbolic pats on the back they’ve received, saying critics and others are simply “looking for a soft spot where to stick the knife.”….

    ==========================

    in reply to: Thomas: teams are playing keepaway from Rams #31079
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    ——————————
    Laram

    I would run at them, run at them show them the run on dives, off tackle and some mis-direction, then I would do exactly what Arizona, San Diego, Giants and Cowboys did.

    I would play action, max protect and hit them on intermediate to long routes. Williams will get impatient, get cute and they’re will be a breakdown…you can count on it.

    In the AZ game last year when Palmer was in, he stood in the pocket and weathered the pass rush until he had to go out. When Stanton game in he did the exact same thing with his first pass being a 54 yd bomb for SIX to Brown.

    The veteran Philip Rivers did the same thing. They ran it ran it then Philip stood in the pocket and beat everything Williams threw at him in max protect.

    Same with Eli Manning!

    Run at them to keep them off balance then max protect and hit them in play action.

    That’s the way I play the Rams.
    ———————————-

    in reply to: Gurley Prepping for Possible Debut? #31078
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    “It’s definitely getting there,” Gurley said.

    I dunno. That don’t sound like he’s quite ready.
    And if there’s one thing we know about Fisher
    its that he’s very patient.

    w
    v

    in reply to: Wagoner: Mike Tomlin sees greatness in Rams' Aaron Donald #31076
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    Is Tomlin the anti-Arians?
    Is he some sort of nice-guy,
    er somethin?

    w
    v

    in reply to: Feeling good about Sunday…the "will Rams beat Steelers" thread #31053
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    I dunno. But i think they better.

    w
    v

    in reply to: Fixing run defense is top priority for Rams #31049
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    ———————————————-
    Blue and Gold

    “…it is impressive empirically. All records have things that can be picked apart, when the Steelers had all those shutouts in the 1976 season, how many were against winning teams? Or were in the top half of the league offensively? I know the answer but you can look it up.

    The point is the best 2-game stretch in allowing the fewest rushing yards in Rams history was in 2014.

    The best 3-game stretch in allowing the fewest rushing yards in Rams history was in in 1965. The 2nd best was in 2014.

    The best 4-game streches were in 1965 and then 2014

    The best 5-game stretch in allowing the fewest rushing yards in Rams history was in 2014

    The best 6-game stretch in allowing the fewest rushing yards in Rams history was in 2014, he 2nd best was 1968

    The best 7-game was in 1967 and the next best was in 2014. (week 7 through 13)

    This team, these players, this scheme CAN stop the run. The issue as I have outlined it is why they can be dominant for stretches and then give up three killers like Sunday, or on some of the other games where they just blow it.

    in reply to: setting up the STEELERS game #31048
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers
    Post Gazette – Steelers

    ==============

    http://www.post-gazette.com/video/?v=4501775245001
    Tomlin on Rams and stuff

    ————

    in reply to: setting up the STEELERS game #31047
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    Steelers notebook: Bell to get a full workload
    http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/9137774-74/tomlin-bell-game#axzz3mYZFlAUQ
    By Mark Kaboly

    • There is going to be no easing Le’Veon Bell into Sunday’s game against the Rams. Steelers coach Mike Tomlin on Tuesday said Bell, who completed his two-game suspension Monday, won’t be held back in any way when it comes to practice or playing time, despite not playing in nearly a month. “I am going to play Le’Veon Bell,” Tomlin said. Tomlin still is unsure how the division of labor will go between Bell and DeAngeloWilliams but said he will defer to last year’s team MVP.

    • Tomlin is just as impressed with Rams defensive tackle Aaron Donald’s work ethic as his athletic ability. Tomlin said he routinely ran into Donald in the early morning of the winter months at the South Side practice facility parking lot the Steelers share with Pitt. “The things that I know about him don’t help me sleep easy,” Tomlin said. “This guy is extremely talented, but he’s also a very hard worker. … I think that guy left the Pro Bowl and went straight back to work.” Donald, a Pitt and Penn Hills graduate, has 2½ sacks in two games. He had 11½ as a rookie.

    • The Steelers became the first team since the 1997 Denver Broncos to go for a 2-point conversion (that wasn’t a fake extra point) in the first half of a game during Sunday’s win over the 49ers. Tomlin said there is no steadfast plan of when they will go for two early in games.

    • CornerbackCortez Allen missed Sunday’s game with a sore knee, but Tomlin said the injury doesn’t appear to require surgery. The only other player with an injury of note is nose tackle Dan McCullers, who has swelling in his left knee. “That may limit him and affect his availability,” Tomlin said.

    —

    Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/9137774-74/tomlin-bell-steelers#ixzz3mYZWIMUj
    Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

Viewing 30 posts - 10,591 through 10,620 (of 12,970 total)