Forum Replies Created

Viewing 30 posts - 10,621 through 10,650 (of 12,972 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: setting up the STEELERS game #31048
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers
    Post Gazette – Steelers

    ==============

    http://www.post-gazette.com/video/?v=4501775245001
    Tomlin on Rams and stuff

    ————

    in reply to: setting up the STEELERS game #31047
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    Steelers notebook: Bell to get a full workload
    http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/9137774-74/tomlin-bell-game#axzz3mYZFlAUQ
    By Mark Kaboly

    • There is going to be no easing Le’Veon Bell into Sunday’s game against the Rams. Steelers coach Mike Tomlin on Tuesday said Bell, who completed his two-game suspension Monday, won’t be held back in any way when it comes to practice or playing time, despite not playing in nearly a month. “I am going to play Le’Veon Bell,” Tomlin said. Tomlin still is unsure how the division of labor will go between Bell and DeAngeloWilliams but said he will defer to last year’s team MVP.

    • Tomlin is just as impressed with Rams defensive tackle Aaron Donald’s work ethic as his athletic ability. Tomlin said he routinely ran into Donald in the early morning of the winter months at the South Side practice facility parking lot the Steelers share with Pitt. “The things that I know about him don’t help me sleep easy,” Tomlin said. “This guy is extremely talented, but he’s also a very hard worker. … I think that guy left the Pro Bowl and went straight back to work.” Donald, a Pitt and Penn Hills graduate, has 2½ sacks in two games. He had 11½ as a rookie.

    • The Steelers became the first team since the 1997 Denver Broncos to go for a 2-point conversion (that wasn’t a fake extra point) in the first half of a game during Sunday’s win over the 49ers. Tomlin said there is no steadfast plan of when they will go for two early in games.

    • CornerbackCortez Allen missed Sunday’s game with a sore knee, but Tomlin said the injury doesn’t appear to require surgery. The only other player with an injury of note is nose tackle Dan McCullers, who has swelling in his left knee. “That may limit him and affect his availability,” Tomlin said.

    —

    Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/9137774-74/tomlin-bell-steelers#ixzz3mYZWIMUj
    Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

    in reply to: Fixing run defense is top priority for Rams #31032
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    maybe a little patience is needed. pitt game can’t come soon enough.
    whatever it is they better get it sorted quick. can’t take half the season to fix it.

    =========================

    Well, i think they kinda ‘can’ take half a season to fix it. I said earlier in the year, they need to be 3 and 3 after the first six games. Right now they are 1 and 1, of course.
    To win Ten, i think they have to go .500 in the early part of the season. As opposed to, you know, 1 and 4, that sort of thing. Cant dig a big hole.

    I say all this because I ‘expect’ them to improve as the OLine gets more
    experience and Foles and the receivers get to play more together,
    and Gurley and maybe Quick come into-play.

    We’ll see though. Either I’m right, and they improve with experience,
    or…they’ll be the SOSAFR.
    Same Ole Sorry Ass Fisher-Rams.

    We dunno how good Washington is this year, btw.
    Maybe they make the playoffs and Dallas and Philly dont.

    w
    v

    in reply to: Fixing run defense is top priority for Rams #31027
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    La on the defense:
    =====================================
    Laram

    They’re best run defense IMO was the second half of 2013.

    They were shutdown stoppers because the played straight up fundamentally sound gap control.

    Not this tricky, gimmicky Donald in pass coverage stuff.

    There are just too many moving parys in a GW defense IMO.

    It allows for more breakdowns and missed assignments IMO.

    in reply to: PFF grades #31018
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    #9 Barnes +0.6

    Barnes is the 9th ranked center according to PFF grades.

    That’s interesting because all over the net during the summer there were people who complained that the Rams had no one at center. And it really was darn near universal. Turns out Barnes is top 10 so far. And that’s after playing Seattle’s tough 4/3 defense and then playing Washington’s Knighton, a tough 3/4 NG.

    =======================

    Well that is really funny.

    Not ha ha funny. Just kinda surreal and disturbing
    funny.

    Things will get better.

    w
    v

    in reply to: John Oliver: public defenders #31001
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    Well, every State has a little different system
    for handling and managing their poor people.
    In WV the public-defender’s case-loads are not as bad as
    as in other States. Essentially though, his points
    are accurate.

    He could have talked about Corporate-Capitalism though. The big
    elephant in the room. I mean, one of things i notice all the time is
    just who ISNT arrested. Cause of what ISNT illegal. Ya know.
    Its illegal steal bread or sleep under the bridge — but it aint
    illegal to frack the earth or blow up mountains for coal, etc, etc,
    blah blah blah, yadda, yadda, yadda, this land is your land,
    this land is my land…

    w
    v

    • This reply was modified 11 years ago by Avatar photowv.
    in reply to: on the Washington game, from around the net #30998
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    ——————————————-
    alyoshamucci

    I don’t know if everyone’s used to these yet, but if not, I’ll say up front that I am always more positive than the initial reports. Of course this means when I say something negative it’s pretty well deserved. lol

    This game was not as bad for me as it was for others, and I think it’s likely a necessary step in our evolution this season. A couple things worried me, and those got me focused on some draft necessities. So all in all, not a loss without gain.

    Note: I know that we came in expecting to trounce them, but this is the NFL. Also? I had no idea they were going to unleash Matt Jones this early in the season. Flip and I had him rated higher than the late 3rd where he got drafted because of his combination of size, power, and movement skills. If the Redskins start riding him when he’s hot, they could easily take that division.

    Also note: I didn’t record this one, so this is one take, mostly on my phone. Not much O line stuff as a result.

    The Good (there was no great this week)

    1) I really liked Ogletree this game. I’ve been waiting for a game to see his maturity … this was it. Fought through blocks, shot gaps, and didn’t miss tackles.

    2) Joyner … pretty much same as above. Lightning fast to the spot where he needs to be.

    3) Chris Long was noticeably at full strength.

    4) Just keeping track, Donald at 2.5 now.

    5) TJ’s play early in the game, he missiled in and submarined the pulling OG. That was impressive.

    6) Tavon is playing fast.

    7) Our young O line had some issues in the run game, to put it mildly, but their pass pro was decent.

    8) Bennie Cunningham is really a gift in the screen and check down game because when he turns upfield he’s bringing 220 pounds of fury with him. A check down at 4 yards on a 3rd and 8 may get us a first down half the time to him (or more).

    9) Special teams coverage (specifically thinking of Mo) was on the spot.

    10) Low penalties. I liked that.

    11) The TD play. Quick change deep shot. The throw was in the right spot, with enough air. Foles stood as calm as a Hindu cow while the pocket was nipping at his backside. Great pocket creation by Hav and GRob. …

    The Bad

    12) __________ (fill in one of 6 names) CATCH THE FLIPPIN BALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good lord I haven’t seen this many drops in years, wow. You don’t catch the ball you don’t get first downs, without first downs no TOP, without TOP your defense gets worn down. 4 drives, 14 plays to start the game?

    13) Greg Williams you have to adjust faster. Now I didn’t watch in slo mo … and I’m NOT an offensive line coach … but it’s not the first time I’ve seen a team use a DT’s speed against him. By halfway through the second drive the plays started to seem tailored to sending Donald upfield away from where the play was going. There is no way he “just misses” 8 times in a row unless that’s what they are going for. GW has to regroup and get that fixed. This is why we seemed to have more success against the run with Westbrooks/Fairley in. I know we’re an “attack” defense … but we have to attack “what they are doing” rather than just the backfield. We figured it out by the second half it seemed, so that’s good if other teams try to do it to us, but then they had another strategy that we couldn’t beat. Maybe we were tired, or they were just firing on all cylinders … but their last drive was a statement. I was almost happy for them, lol.

    14) Nick. Dude, the accuracy. I know it’s your first game outside this year, and maybe it was windy. But the short passes need to be ON the receiver and the intermediate ones need to give the receiver a shot. The drops were not alllll on the receivers.

    15) Tre wasn’t fully ready (not injury wise, just focus and game speed), and Bennie should have been the primary back.

    16) Janoris got caught biting. It happens but he’s gotta have situational awareness that guys are gonna do that to him a couple times a game.

    17) Mcleod TERRIBLE angles on a couple plays.

    18) JL, you’re first of all part to blame for the lack of recognition as to what was going on with Donald … and second you did not do a very good job mixing up the angles on the defensive front. They were firing off and finding us every time.

    19) Refs, that’s PI in the end zone on Garcon. Janoris knew that was coming, was already planting to drive on it when Garcon’s arm fully extended. That shouldn’t even be a tough call. That’s text book Offensive PI.

    20) What’s the deal with the clock management at the end of the first half?

    Questions …

    21) Did Quinn tweak his groin?

    22) Grob had a better game didn’t he (not good, just better)?

    23) Anyone see anything on the O line specifically that could have been on this list? Because I could’t rewatch it.

    24) Is Quick done?

    Needs (things that I think got exposed in the loss)

    25) #1 WR in the draft.

    26) OC.

    27) Athletic FS.

    So, collegiate addendum.

    First, if you didn’t watch the Ole Miss-Bama game, sorry. It was brutal and violent and awesome. I’m eyeing WRs, DEs, and OCs mainly. I was curious about Laquan Treadwell coming back form that injury, but he looks special. There are some freaks at the WR position, and we love those guys. We needed a #1 this last game. Cook drops too many passes for it to be him.

    I have about 8 WRs that are freaks with first round possible talent (non-freaks not on the list).

    Laquan Treadwell
    Michael Thomas
    Bug Howard
    Tyler Boyd (not our style likely, we like them big)
    Duke Williams
    Mike Williams
    Dacory Robinson
    Ricky Seals-Jones

    There are more of course ..

    The DEs this year are big, and I like that.

    I am scoping safeties for Mcleod’s spot. Kearse on Clemson is my frontrunner … long and rangy and fast all in one. Mathews on Auburn is a Juco transfer so I need more tape on him. Tony Conner on Ole Miss is the best, but he may be a box-only.

    Have not seen the OCs yet for the most part. Boehm on Mizzou and Mathews on A and M are my favorites coming in, Voltz on Wisconsin too. I think Boehm is our style personally.

    in reply to: on the Washington game, from around the net #30994
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    Chris Long tweet:

    [twitter.com]
    I know everyone here is down but I’m not going to forget the fact that we beat Seattle just a week ago. It’s a long season.
    Looking forward to a hard fought game next Sunday.

    in reply to: reporters do last rites on the Washington game #30993
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    Benjamin Hochman

    “We saw some things on film that we could take advantage of — we knew if we stop the run, it would be tough,” the nose tackle told me Sunday, after he and the D-line devoured the Rams, winning 24-10. “… We know what type of team they think they are; they’re going to come in, be physical, be frontrunners, and it’s a famous quote: ‘Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.’ That’s the attitude we took. …

    “Coach (Jay) Gruden got up in front of the team Wednesday and showed St. Louis tape, showed how physical they are, showing how they beat Seattle and laid it on our guys last year, running reverses when they’re up 21 points. So we took it personal

    …The Rams were so deflated, the league might have to call Ted Wells to investigate.

    But I’ve got to bring up at least one wacky stat, per Bill Barnwell of Grantland.com. ;In 2014, the final 10 teams that played Seattle in the regular season and had a game the following week, lost the following week. They call it the “Seattle Hangover”: A team becomes so battered by the bruising boom of Seattle’s legion, that the next week they’re not recovered. The Rams had it last season — remember the loss at Kansas City? — and supposedly they had it again Sunday.

    ========================

    Interesting.

    Disappointing.

    Bring on the Steelers.

    I feel like i wanna see
    about Four games before
    i start trying to answer
    any of the big questions.
    Thats just me, though.

    w
    v

    in reply to: Fisher, Foles … 9/20 … vid & audio #30966
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    Fisher seems a bit disgusted. Duh.

    w
    v

    in reply to: Tweets 9/20 – Foles, Jenkins, nothing serious #30965
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    thank you. stay healthy, foles! we need you. the rams need you.

    gurley. hope to see you next week! if not, get healthy soon. can’t wait for your nfl career to start! hopefully, it goes better than steven’s rams career went! haha!

    I’ll be surprised if Gurley plays before the Arizona game.

    w
    v

    in reply to: Rams not a road team yet? (official Wash game response thread) #30962
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    i think it’s a fair question.

    personally. i think they do. i don’t think you play the seahawks and niners as tough as they have the past several years without having heart.

    maturity? intelligence? they may lack those qualities…

    sob…

    Well, most of us are/were expecting a Ten win team. Not an elite team, not
    a championship team. A Ten win team this year. The Oline being
    too young and inconsistent to expect an elite team.

    So, can they still be a ten win type team?

    I think so. I say that because i think most of us thought they’d get
    better as the year went along. One would think the young OLine
    would get better and Gurley and Quick should help. One would think.

    We’ll see.

    Big game next week, obviously.

    I personally, did not think Foles was “inaccurate” last week.
    I dont think thats the word i would use. That pass to Stedman
    was like Warner-to-Proehl. It was dead perfect in the clutch.

    w
    v

    • This reply was modified 11 years ago by Avatar photowv.
    in reply to: Rams not a road team yet? (official Wash game response thread) #30956
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    Is it fair to ask the question:
    Do the St Louis Rams have heart ?

    Is that a fair question?

    I know it will be asked.

    w
    v

    in reply to: reporters do last rites on the Washington game #30950
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    Well, it sucks to lose to Washington, it really does,
    but one win and one loss at this early stage is
    not the end of the season, right?

    Big home game coming up.
    1 and 2 or 2 and 1 —
    we shall see.

    Maybe Fisher will kick them
    in the ass this week.

    w
    v

    in reply to: Rams not a road team yet? (official Wash game response thread) #30948
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    —————————————
    Laram
    Sure the players didn’t show up but the gameplan of the Redskins was superb.

    The Rams got out coached on both sides of the ball.

    The three tight end sets and playcalling on offense kept the Rams defense off balance.

    On defense they forced Foles to beat them through the pass, then pressured him.

    Total dominance all the way around.

    …you give up over 180yds rushing and 85% comp % to Kirk Cousins, NOBODY played well on defense!!
    =========================================

    in reply to: Rams not a road team yet? (official Wash game response thread) #30944
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    I missed the game. Sigh. Disappointing loss for sure.

    I read the gamebook. No INTs for Foles. No Ram fumbles.
    If you had told me the Rams would win the turnover battle
    (+1) and still lose, I’d have been skeptical.

    So, what happened? Looks like the Rams offense
    was abysmal in the first half, and in the 4th quarter.

    w
    v

    in reply to: old & new power rankings…through Week 8 #30896
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    Okay, enough already.

    This is weird.

    It’s like…the national media are all just taking it for granted that the Rams are good. How did this happen all of a sudden?

    Back in ’99, they had to go through various stages to arrive at Acceptance that the Rams were good: denial, they’re lucky, they haven’t played anybody, running up the score against bad teams, whatever.

    This is just weird. A lot of the heads picked the Rams to beat Seattle, and now they’re #9 in USA Today, and all these guys are giving the Rams the WA game, like they are taking it for granted, “Yeah, the Rams are a good, solid football team.” They aren’t even being called “up-and-coming” or anything. You would think the Rams were in the playoffs the last couple of years.

    ————————

    Well, I think we all know,
    none of this zany-hoopla means anything,
    until, RFL is on board.

    w
    v

    in reply to: the penalty issues with the Seattle OSK #30889
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    Well, Fisher doesn’t wanna irk the officials by slamming them,
    so he was diplomatic, but that was NOT a hard or confusing call to make.
    It was pretty simple, really. It was a valid fair catch and the
    Seahawks slammed into him. What’s so complicated about that?

    w
    v

    in reply to: Will the Rams beat Washington #30873
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    As we get closer to game time my optimism wanes.

    It’s not based on logic or anything tangible. Purely emotional.

    I think it comes from seeing this scenario play out many times before.

    Rams coming off a big win – should be able to handle an inferior opponent…

    ————————

    Most of those other games in the last two years
    were Ram teams using a no.2 or no.3 QB,
    and without the experience and talent they have this year.

    If the OLine just plays “ok” this should be a win.

    But then, you know all that.

    w
    v

    in reply to: Will the Rams beat Washington #30870
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    The Rams have more talent on each unit,
    as far as I can tell.

    It is a road-game and all, but the Rams finally
    have a no.1 veteran QB. So that mitigates
    the road-effect somewhat.

    Only the Rams can beat the Rams,
    in this game.

    Lets hope they want it, real bad.

    Rams 31
    Washington 10

    w
    v

    in reply to: Top Films of all-time — a list #30867
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    What!

    No “Human Centipede?”

    This is an outrage.

    I must say that the Sight and Sound list wasn’t that impressive for me. Yeah–a few: Godfather flicks, Apocalypse Now, etc. But really? “Mulholland Drive?” I don’t even think Lynch knew what he wanted that film to be. Nonsensical garbage that only the finest critics at blowing smoke up each others ass can appreciate.

    Anyway–someday I will post my filmlist and everyone on the internet will nod thoughtfully and say, “You know–he’s right.”

    ===============

    Is Plan 9 from Outer Space,
    on your greatest-movies list?
    http://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/article/25-movies-so-bad-theyre-unmissable/

    w
    v

    in reply to: Is it Tavon time … finally? #30838
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    He’s also healthy. For TA to be effective, his legs need to be fresh. A twinge in the ankles or knees slows him down some, and then he’s got no advantage since he’s so small and can’t break tackles.

    To me, the difference in this game was he saw the field a little better, but also that move he put on Sherman to get open. If Foles can catch up with TA’s speed, maybe we get a few more home run balls to him this year.

    I have not seen Sherman beaten that badly before. Not that
    i watch him all that much, but I aint seen that before.
    Looked like he had sherman by three yards at one point.

    Tavon’s been open deep before and the QB has missed him
    or missed seeing him. You add those chances to the TD’s
    that have been called back, and he’s had some big plays.

    My thing with Tavon is drops and fumbles. Themz is big.
    Can he improve on that.

    w
    v

    in reply to: Cosell on Rams/Seattle and one more Cosell #30808
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    It does not start at 3:00
    It starts at 4:25.
    If YOU choose to spend 1 minute and 25 seconds,
    listening to that radio-celebrity-guy that’s fine.
    But I lost a minute and 25 seconds of my life
    that I cannot now get back.

    CoselL says Laurinaitis is an above-average NFL linebacker.

    Said Brockers was “sensational” and Greg Robinson is “a concern”
    and not playing up to his talent-level.

    Said Foles is not as good a “thrower” as Bradford,
    but “its hard to know what Bradford is because he hasnt played very much.”
    Says Bradford has more “talent.”

    Radio guy said Rams WR’s really liked Foles but Cosell said in Philly “it
    was the opposite”

    (Reall/? I dont remember reading that anywhere)

    w
    v

    • This reply was modified 11 years ago by Avatar photowv.
    in reply to: Cosell on Rams/Seattle and one more Cosell #30799
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    Thanks Ag.

    Rams Oline “was up and down” but “wasn’t overpowered”

    “Foles is an odd player. There are times he stands and delivers under duress and you think, Wow thats pretty good, but then theres other times when…(i couldnt quite hear what cossell said next. I ‘think’ he said ” he takes sacks and breaks down….” ?

    w
    v

    in reply to: different critters set up the Washington game #30784
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    zn, feel free to move these into the other Washington thread if u want.

    in reply to: different critters set up the Washington game #30782
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    Where is Greg Cossell?

    I want me some Cossell.

    w
    v

    in reply to: different critters set up the Washington game #30781
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    “...Having just played the toughest cover-three based defense in the NFL and won, the Rams will expect to have similar results against Washington. Washington’s scheme is far more basic at this stage than Seattle’s, meaning St. Louis should be able to use all of its cover-three beaters without being surprised by a different type of coverage. It will be key for the Redskins to generate more of a pass rush than they did against the Dolphins if they are to prevent the Rams from picking up big chunks of yards….”
    ———————–

    Yeah, thats gonna be the story every game, really. Can teams
    “generate a pass rush” against the Ram OLine.

    “Anytime you have the front four they have, the pass rusher they have, the front seven does give you a lot of freedom to do some things that are unique,” Cousins said. “When you feel like you can get home with certain players, it gives you some flexibility. I think that their talent combined with their philosophy is a combination that can wreak a lot of havoc, and they’ve shown that the last few seasons with their personnel.”

    I wonder what are the things GW can do that are ‘unique’ ?
    w
    v

    • This reply was modified 11 years ago by Avatar photowv.
    • This reply was modified 11 years ago by Avatar photozn.
    in reply to: different critters set up the Washington game #30779
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/football-insider/wp/2015/09/17/previewing-the-rams-offense-against-the-redskins-defense-cover-three-beaters/
    “…The Redskins’ Week 2 opponent, the St. Louis Rams, faced a Seahawks defense in Week 1 that is also built on the cover-three scheme. The Rams found success using one of the same concepts we just saw from Miami….” see link for pass-play breakdown vs Seahawks.

    Washington Post articles:
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/

    The R-Word issue:
    What prompted an Indian rodeo to renounce the Redskins name and reject Dan Snyder’s money
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/what-prompted-an-indian-rodeo-to-renounce-the-redskins-name-and-reject-dan-snyders-money/2015/09/17/08e4398c-51a1-11e5-933e-7d06c647a395_story.html

    • This reply was modified 11 years ago by Avatar photowv.
    • This reply was modified 11 years ago by Avatar photozn.
    in reply to: old & new power rankings…through Week 8 #30733
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    Personally, I dont like waiting until one full game has passsed
    to rank teams.

    I think teams should be ranked after the first quarter
    of the first game. And then I’d like to see a new
    media-ranking after each quarter.

    w
    v

    in reply to: Rams News Recap: Sept. 16 #30715
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    Just a note on Russell Wilsons “1-0” tweet that the Rams
    used as “motivation”. Apparently, Wilson says that every year, etc:

    http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seahawks/seahawks-opponents-can-take-cue-from-rams-find-motivation-in-russell-wilson-clichs/

    w
    v

Viewing 30 posts - 10,621 through 10,650 (of 12,972 total)