Forum Replies Created

Viewing 30 posts - 10,561 through 10,590 (of 12,970 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: multi-media player-fest thread: Gurley, Foles, Bailey, tba #31898
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    All 22: Gurley’s 52-Yard Run
    Insider Myles Simmons breaks down Todd Gurley’s 52-yard run in last Sunday’s road victory over the Cardinals.

    http://www.stlouisrams.com/videos/videos/All-22-Gurleys-52-Yard-Run/b73e2759-6b9d-4e19-b04e-12cc38540798

    Good breakdown by Simmons. He’s a good communicator.

    I think we all have a sense that Tavon and Gurley together,
    are better than either Tavon or Gurley by themselves.

    w
    v

    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    I agree with Charles Davis — they dont have to beat GBay,
    but they have to beat Cleveland in two weeks.
    Gotta be 3 and 3 at the bye.
    Gotta start beating the nonplayoff teams.

    w
    v

    in reply to: old & new power rankings…through Week 8 #31895
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    So the two teams the Rams lost to are rated below them, and the two teams they beat are rated above them.

    And that, in a nutshell, is our beloved Rams.

    ———————
    Well, i think they’ve turned the corner — which means,
    they will finally start losing to good teams
    and beating the bad teams.

    w
    v

    in reply to: WOW … (official Cards game after-thread) #31859
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    I watched the game on Replay. I may have to watch it again,
    cause I was being distracted by a large squirrel and a blue jay,
    but what I did take away from the game was:

    1 The Rams and Cards play Steeler-Raven level,
    brutal, hard-hitting, old-school football.
    Man, what a brutal game. I must say, I enjoy
    hard-hitting football. I’m a cave-man, i guess.
    It would not surprise me, if both teams are feeling a bit
    ‘beat-up’ going into their next game.
    My favorite plays from the game were not the TD’s or Long runs,
    but the Hits. TJ’s hits especially. Even Janoris was hitting
    hard. (the JJ INT was awesome, of course — is that guy finally
    playing up to his potential? He seems to be playing smarter so far)

    2 All the usual Ram weaknesses were on display in that game. The defense got
    gouged by the Run and the pass. The offense was abysmal for most of the game.
    I was not impressed with a lot of what i saw in the first OR
    second half. But the one thing that ‘was’ indeed new was — Gurley.
    He may very well change the dynamic a bit. He may be
    the difference between 7/8 wins or 9/10 wins. BUT, he’s gotta
    hold on to the ball.

    3 I was impressed with the way Foles avoided any game-killing
    mistakes and he did make some killer throws. He is NOT
    Kellen Clemens or Austin Davis. He’s no Carson Palmer, or Russel Wilson
    but he’s not a second-stringer either.

    4 I would say the key to the game was simply the Rams Defensive
    speed and pressure. It seemed to throw the Cardinal offense off,
    ‘juusssssst’ enough for a few passes to be rushed and a few passes
    to be dropped. I mean, the Cards were obviously game, and not intimidated,
    but the Ram D rattled them just enough to cause a few mistakes, in the
    cardinal machine. The best example was Palmers last pass — the WR was
    open and it would have been an easy pass to complete, and the WR was
    well within winning-Field-goal range — but Palmer was just a bit off.
    That was the game.

    5 I’d love to see this defense have Gaines and Ogletree. But I ‘think’
    they can still be a top five D without them. I think.

    6 Every-time a defender was around Tavon, the defender was taking aim
    at the ball, trying to strip it. I was holding my breath watching
    the slo-motion replays.

    7 Normally, I’d say Aaron Rogers is just gonna torch the Rams,
    but…there is the Gurley factor, now. Maybe, just, maybe
    he can shorten the game…. I dunno.

    w
    v

    in reply to: week 5 stats, including "Rams have played 3 top 5 defenses" #31840
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    Agamemnon wrote:
    … The Washington game still really bothers me. We need to win those games.

    The Steelers game bothers me more…

    ==============================
    Well apparently, this is the: ‘What game bothers you’ thread.

    I am bothered by the 1969, 23-20, playoff
    loss to the Vikings.

    Still.

    w
    v

    in reply to: Seahawks Monday Night Miracle II #31839
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    Enh. Woulda been a BS call, imho.

    Chancellor made another all-pro play — keep the BS
    calls out of the game.

    w
    v

    in reply to: Rams expected to sign Dunbar #31814
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    Well, its not like losing Foles,
    but it really sux.
    Dunbar is no Ogletree. HE’s a weak-link.

    w
    v

    in reply to: Tweets 10/5 #31813
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    Jim Thomas Verified account
    ‏@jthom1

    MLB James Laurinaitis, who appeared to be used more as blitzer than usual, had a sack and 3 QB hits.

    in reply to: Rams News Recap: Oct. 4 #31767
    Avatar photowv
    Participant
    in reply to: WOW … (official Cards game after-thread) #31705
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    Oh Yeah.

    Awesome.

    I just watched the highlights
    at NFL.com. Looking forward to watching
    the game on replay.

    Huge road win against an excellent team.

    Not the same ole sorry-ass-fisher rams,
    apparently.

    w
    v

    in reply to: Nihilistic Password Security Questions. #31688
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    🙂

    in reply to: CoachO & others on the Rams receivers #31687
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    Well i havent read anyone say Stedman “doesn’t get separation” —
    I have read people say he doesn’t get ‘targeted’ — which is different.

    Its still a bit early for ME to say what Foles is or isn’t.
    I dont expect much from any QB when they have zero
    running game and a Newbie-Oline.

    I ‘think’ he’ll be ‘fine.’ He’ll drive people crazy
    with some inaccurate passes to wide open receivers,
    and just when yer ready to cuss him out,
    he’ll drive the team down the field at
    crunch time. Thats my ‘guess’ as to who
    he is, more or less.

    He’s not a top-five-QB, thats for sure.
    But I think he can be a winner.

    And, fwiw, I think i would take him
    over Sam. I think. I just like his
    pocket-awerenss-and-movement-skills more than Sams.

    w
    v

    in reply to: fwiw some PFF grades #31680
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    Interesting about Long, being ranked
    that high

    w
    v

    in reply to: aaron donald – otherworldly #31634
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    Well, thats nice and all, but the ‘unit’
    has to start stopping the Run. Donald included.

    Ya know.

    This is a strange team. I said
    that last year, and its even
    stranger this year.

    w
    v

    in reply to: So House Republicans finally created a job today #31627
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    I don’t think either Sanders or Trump will get the nomination. The DNC isn’t going to want Sanders, and the Super Delegates aren’t going to want Sanders. The RNC isn’t going to want Trump.

    I dunno.

    Clinton v. Rubio? Or Biden if he runs?

    This is an interesting horse race. While there is a lot of popular desire for an “outsider” this cycle, all of the outsiders appear kooky to the mainstream. You know, Obama managed to be an establishment guy who convinced voters he was Fresh Blood. I just don’t see a candidate this time who can replicate that. Sanders and Trump are not establishment guys, and the establishment, as well as the majority of American voters, do not want to go that far afield. As you know, even a lot of the Liberal Democrats are conservative. Can you imagine Waterfield voting for Sanders? I can’t. He will feel more comfortable with Biden or Clinton.

    It’s gonna be an interesting 6 months.

    BTW, I read somewhere that Boehner could lock up financing for the rest of Obama’s term before he leaves, thus preventing a government shutdown even after he is gone. I didn’t read the details on that, but that would be an interesting move.

    You are probably right,
    but then, I didnt expect Bernie (or trump) to do
    nearly as well as they’ve been doing — so, I dunno.

    w
    v

    in reply to: Oregon shootings #31626
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    More people in U.S. killed by shootings in my lifetime than were killed in all U.S. wars combined…

    http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2013/jan/18/mark-shields/pbs-commentator-mark-shields-says-more-killed-guns/

    I would not have guessed that.

    w
    v

    in reply to: Givens traded to Baltimore for future pick… #31623
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    Well, we all KNOW whats going to happen now.

    I mean, i don’t even have to type it.

    w
    v

    in reply to: Wagoner: Run-first Rams' struggle go beyond the basics #31604
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    So in addition to relying on rookie OL, Fisher’s brain trust shifted to a new zone blocking scheme which, in the OC’s words, takes precise synchronization between the players. And no one has run it before.

    All after insisting that this year we needed to start fast.

    A couple weeks back, I pointed out that relying on a rookie OL and seeking a fast start with a really tough early schedule were contradictory. I was told that I was being silly. Now we find out that it’s even worse.

    It was not reasonable to expect a fast start with this offense constructed as it was.

    I think the record bears out the simple observation that this regime runs miles to avoid taking responsibility for actually winning games.

    But, you you know, they’re … close. Oh, so close. One of these days …

    I have never read anyone on this little board
    call you ‘silly,’ RFL. People just disagreed,
    iz all i saw.

    To me, you are acting like three games is the same
    as 16 games. They may be playing a lot better on offense
    by mid-season.

    w
    v

    in reply to: Wagoner: Quick set to make season debut #31582
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    One would think, the OC would give Quick
    some early, easy, routes/catches.

    He seems like the kind of guy
    that needs to have his confidence
    built up.

    w
    v

    in reply to: Tweets 10/2 & other communiques #31570
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    Well, the weapons are all active now: Gurley and Quick.

    Maybe it’ll make a difference.

    Should be a good game.

    w
    v

    in reply to: Talent v … other stuff–your views? #31528
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    And the old sort of truism, Good players make coaches smarter.

    Thought experiment. How many different coaches could be the Rams DC and the Rams defense still be expected to be a top 10 defense?

    Obviously, coaching, talent, and health
    are the three big things, and they are all related,
    but…i never thought Mike Ditka was a genius — and he won it all
    with the talent the Bears had. And there was the coach
    in Dallas who won a Ring (i forget his name. The one after JJ) — But he
    never struck me as a good coach.

    And then there’s the DV example — We all wanted DV’s head to roll,
    until he got himself a RB named Faulk and a QB named Warner.

    The real question is Do the Rams have enough talent
    on OFFENSE and is Fisher a good enough coach to
    develop all his talent and put it all together.

    I ‘think’ there is enough talent on offense.
    I just think its going through growing pains.
    But I expect them to get better and better
    every week or so.

    And i certainly think Fisher is good enough
    to win Ten games. I dunno about a ring,
    but a wildcard berth? Sure.

    w
    v

    in reply to: Prediction thread: Arizona Cardinals #31512
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    I expect a
    typical knockdown-drag-out
    cardinal-ram bloodfest.

    Could go either way.

    Fitzgerald worries me.

    Donald
    and Quinn should worry them.

    w
    v

    in reply to: Talent v … other stuff–your views? #31511
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    <span class=”d4pbbc-font-color” style=”color: blue”>I am a talent guy. I think we have playoff talent. I think that counts more than any other element.</span>

    <span class=”d4pbbc-font-color” style=”color: blue”>Top 10 Defense, top 10 Special Teams, middle of the pack Offense(in the second half of the season).</span>

    <span class=”d4pbbc-font-color” style=”color: blue”>I can’t decide yet if I think Fisher and Co. is a B- or a C+. Either way I don’t see coaching as better or worse than the rest of the league, so I just figure they cancel out in the area of helping us win or lose more games.</span>

    ======================

    Ditto. Thats how I assess it too.

    Could be wrong of course. I mean, I am
    not ‘sure’ I am seeing things correctly.
    Maybe I’m over estimating the talent — but, ya know,
    I see it the way i see it.

    I get RFL’s view, btw. He may
    be right. Lets hope not 🙂

    w
    v

    w
    v

    in reply to: 4th Down: When to Go for It and Why #31497
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    In general, I tend to agree with everything in that first article.

    Oftentimes, those “go for it, or dont” decisions
    dont really decide the game though. Its usually
    the three obvious things:
    Execution
    Talent
    Turnovers

    w
    v

    w
    v

    • This reply was modified 11 years ago by Avatar photowv.
    in reply to: So House Republicans finally created a job today #31492
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    Well, Boehner was not a moderate in any sense other than the fact that he did reside in reality based politics. He did want to get deals done. I think he believed the shutdown was a bad idea.

    And his replacement, although more conservative than Boehner (gag me), is also a resident of practical politics. The people he is aligned with ideologically aren’t, though. There are about 50 Republicans who are just nuts, who think shutting down the government is actually a good idea. They are the “drown it in the bathtub” crowd. Stunning to think nearly 10% of congress actually hates government that much.

    In any event, that party may just end up eating its own over the next decade, but there’s just so many of them, and they are just so rich, I’m afraid they can continue causing damage indefinitely.

    Who is gonna be the Republican nominee for Prez ?

    Is it possible it will actually be
    Bernie vs Trump ? That would mean there
    really was a difference in the two main choices this time.

    w
    v

    in reply to: Dicaprio as Hugh Glass #31491
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    Trailer 2.

    <iframe src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/LoebZZ8K5N0?feature=oembed&#8221; allowfullscreen=”” frameborder=”0″ height=”388″ width=”690″></iframe>

    Man. I gotta say, that looks like it has the potential
    to be one of the best Westerns ever made.

    w
    v

    in reply to: Fisher, Cignetti, Foles … 9/30… transcripts #31490
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    http://www.rams-news.com/frank-cignetti-were-close-were-encouraged-by-things-that-we-see-video/

    Well, i dunno if Cignetti is just blowing smoke,
    but he ‘says’ he’s seeing progress.

    w
    v

    in reply to: reporters set up the Oct. 4 ARZ game #31489
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    “Why rams are guaranteed to lose game four”
    http://bleacherreport.com/arizona-cardinals

    w
    v

    in reply to: reporters set up the Oct. 4 ARZ game #31487
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    Cardinal podcast:
    http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/nfl/cardinals/2015/09/09/arizona-cardinals-podcast-birds-eye-view-kent-somers-and-mike-jurecki/71954330/
    ————–
    in episode 4 this week:

    Playoff-caliber teams take care of business, just what the Cardinals have done through the first three weeks of the season against teams that are now a combined 1-8.
    The Cardinals defensive line played its best game last week against San Francisco and showed its depth as well.
    Why is Carson Palmer playing at the end of blowouts? Are the Cardinals taking an unnecessary risk leaving him out on the field? The Patriots, for comparison sake, are doing it as well with Tom Brady.
    Sunday’s game against the Rams will be a great test for the Cardinals offense. What should fans expect this week?

    • This reply was modified 11 years ago by Avatar photowv.
    in reply to: La on GW's gameplan for the Steelers #31486
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    they have to continue to play excellent run defense. against seattle and pittsburgh they were able to do this. it didn’t happen against washington. if they can’t stop the run, i don’t think it matters if they play on or off.

    Amen.

    w
    v

Viewing 30 posts - 10,561 through 10,590 (of 12,970 total)