Forum Replies Created

Viewing 30 posts - 21,031 through 21,060 (of 48,119 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Terrell Burgess drafted 104 #116426
    Avatar photozn
    Moderator

    from https://twitter.com/TheRamsWire/status/1271446525676314631

    Burgess is trying to learn as many positions as he can on defense, beginning with safety and working his way down.

    He’ll even dive into the “money” position, which is essentially a dime linebacker role for a defensive back.

    “Honestly, I don’t know for sure. I plan to be able to contribute any way I can,” he said. “I’m trying to learn all of the defensive back positions. And once I get that down, then I’ll probably start trying to learn the ‘money’ position, as well, just in case they need to throw me in there in a different package. I’m going to try to learn everything, but learn the safety position then work down – from the top down.”

    in reply to: Police & protestors — conflicting images #116424
    Avatar photozn
    Moderator

    “Christopher Columbus statue pulled down Minnesota State Capitol”

    in reply to: economics & the virus #116420
    Avatar photozn
    Moderator

    in reply to: Police & protestors — conflicting images #116417
    Avatar photozn
    Moderator

    in reply to: FBI in the 60s #116413
    Avatar photozn
    Moderator

    in reply to: Police & protestors — conflicting images #116410
    Avatar photozn
    Moderator

    in reply to: Police & protestors — conflicting images #116409
    Avatar photozn
    Moderator

    in reply to: virus news … (+ some dark humor) #116300
    Avatar photozn
    Moderator

    in reply to: virus news … (+ some dark humor) #116272
    Avatar photozn
    Moderator

    in reply to: what polls show about support for the protests #116268
    Avatar photozn
    Moderator

    These polls and the articles written around them, however, are not as certain or firm about what changes will happen legally and institutionally. That is, will institutions be forced to change for the better? That’s not as clear.

    in reply to: what polls show about support for the protests #116267
    Avatar photozn
    Moderator

    from https://www.motherjones.com/2020-elections/2020/06/donald-trump-protest-polls/

    54 percent believe race relations have grown worse under Trump; only 15 percent say they have improved. While Trump tweets about law and order, only 39 percent actually believed he stood for these principles.

    …racial justice and police misconduct had become one of the most important issues to voters, and 64 percent of them believed Trump was exacerbating tensions.

    ==

    from https://www.vox.com/2020/6/11/21286642/george-floyd-protests-white-people-police-racism

    76 percent of Americans now say racial discrimination in the US is a big problem, up from 51 percent in 2015. And public support for the Black Lives Matter movement increased almost as much in the past two weeks as it did in the previous two years, according to the New York Times.

    …as of 2016, just 34 percent of Americans said police were more likely to use excessive force if a suspect is black, according to a Monmouth University poll. And as of January 2020, 42 percent of Americans supported Black Lives Matter — a significant portion, to be sure, but still a minority.

    Then the killing of George Floyd, and the subsequent protests, became national news, and public opinion changed dramatically and rapidly. Now, 57 percent say police are more likely to use excessive force on black people. And as of June 8, 53 percent of Americans say they support Black Lives Matter, according to a Civiqs poll. Tracking data also shows swift increases in disapproval of the police and belief that black people face a lot of discrimination, according to the New York Times.

    … in 2016, 77 percent of black Americans said that police were more likely to use force on black people. That jumped to 87 percent this year. But among white Americans, the change was much greater, from just 25 percent in 2016 to 49 percent in 2020.

    in reply to: what polls show about support for the protests #116263
    Avatar photozn
    Moderator

    from https://www.vox.com/2020/6/7/21283239/poll-americans-more-concerned-police-violence-than-violence-at-protests

    A survey of over 6,000 people from Democracy Fund + UCLA Nationscape found that the favorability figures for the police plunged 10 percent in one week — 66 percent to 56 percent — just days after Floyd’s death.

    “This is a unique moment in American history,” Robert Griffin, research director for the Democracy Fund Voter Study Group, told the New York Daily News. “To see shifts like this really speaks to what a monumental event these protests have been.”

    in reply to: What do we think/feel ? Anything? #116250
    Avatar photozn
    Moderator

    Aragorn: Haleth son of Háma…there is always hope.

    in reply to: Steve Bannon : Its all about China #116249
    Avatar photozn
    Moderator

    in reply to: tweets n things … 6/11 thru 6/15 #116243
    Avatar photozn
    Moderator

    in reply to: Sports and the Protests #116239
    Avatar photozn
    Moderator

    in reply to: tweets n things … 6/11 thru 6/15 #116238
    Avatar photozn
    Moderator

    Stu Jackson@StuJRams
    Rams head coach Sean McVay said the team wrapped up its virtual offseason program today. Even though clubs can go for another two weeks, he felt good about calling it based on what they were able to accomplish since April 27.

    Greg Beacham@gregbeacham
    Rams coach Sean McVay on the virtual NFL offseason: “I feel great right now, but you do get more tired. You realize that you feed off people. You do draw on other people’s energy. I’m virtual-meetinged out right now.”

    Andrew Siciliano@AndrewSiciliano
    “I’m not going to be at the facility until I absolutely have to.”

    McVay says he may go back to the building next week, but doesn’t mind working from home.

    Jourdan Rodrigue@JourdanRodrigue
    Nothing is finalized for the Rams yet for training camp (except Cal Lu as the location), but Sean McVay says they are targeting July 28th for vets and as early as July 23 for rookies.

    in reply to: what polls show about support for the protests #116237
    Avatar photozn
    Moderator

    ==

    from https://www.vox.com/2020/6/11/21283836/protests-libertarian-dc-interview-truck

    This week, 26-year-old Nathan, the owner of the truck, gave me the answers.

    Nathan is a Korean-American self-described “libertarian-leaning Republican” who has never been a fan of the two-party system. But President Donald Trump was something of a breaking point for him.

    He’s a Texas-born 2016 Virginia Military Institute graduate whose job search in Washington has been stymied by the coronavirus pandemic. He had never attended a street protest before last week, but he told me that being in Lafayette Park when Park Police used tear gas and rubber bullets against protesters “radicalized” him. “I just had to fucking show up after that,” he told me.

    Now he’s attending anti-police brutality protests outside the White House every day. Wearing a hard hat emblazoned with quotes from Mahatma Gandhi and Mr. Rogers, he carries a broom and dustpan and tidies the streets as he walks, because he wanted his form of protest to be a “peaceful contribution.”

    in reply to: Sports and the Protests #116236
    Avatar photozn
    Moderator

    in reply to: Rams on Floyd & the protests #116234
    Avatar photozn
    Moderator

    Rams’ Jared Goff, Robert Woods strive to advance social justice conversation

    Lindsey Thiry

    https://www.espn.com/blog/los-angeles-rams/post/_/id/41722/rams-jared-goff-robert-woods-strive-to-advance-social-justice-conversation

    George Floyd’s death reverberated throughout the world, the NFL and, closer to home, the Los Angeles Rams’ virtual meeting room.

    On Wednesday, 10 days after Rams coach Sean McVay held a video conference that urged players and coaches to speak about Floyd and personal experiences regarding racial issues, Rams quarterback Jared Goff and receiver Robert Woods said social justice awareness has been raised, and that it’s time for the conversation to advance.

    “Now is a call for action,” Woods said during a video conference with reporters Wednesday. “Find ways to actually move in the community, move in our police reforms, sit down with our political leaders, different things other than — I think take a knee, lock arms right now — I think everyone’s aware, now it’s time to get involved, whatever skin color, job, profession, I think it’s that time to take action.”

    Goff echoed San Francisco 49ers cornerback Richard Sherman, who told Sports Illustrated last week that he was “impressed with the white QBs speaking up because those are voices that carry different weight than the black voices for some people … which means the people who refuse to listen to a black athlete’s perspective will hear the same thing said from a white athlete, but receive the message much differently.”

    “He’s right,” Goff said about Sherman. “The people of color have been fighting for this for so long and wanting change, and as a white person, as a white athlete, again you have an idea it’s happening, but it truly doesn’t hit you the way it does until something like this happens. I think for us to be able to speak out and make a stand, it can change things and it’s important … I want to be a part of that change.”

    Before Sherman’s remarks, Goff released a statement on Instagram that read, in part, “I’ll never pretend to understand the struggles that the Black community goes through daily in our country and never will know this struggle. It is my responsibility to educate myself and actively participate in advocating for the change our country desperately needs, in words and action.”

    When speaking to reporters, Woods touched on his experience involving police encounters. He said that as a kid growing up in L.A. he was questioned by police about attending a movie theater in other parts of town, that police would watch until his parents picked him up, or the police would kick him off the premises. Woods also said that he has been pulled over by police at gunpoint.

    “Things like that, just — you get numb to it,” Woods said. “I feel like you almost just know how to react and know how to act in those situations.”

    Goff said it was powerful to hear the experiences of coaches and teammates.

    “You do know this stuff exists, but hearing it from people that you love and teammates that you go to work with every single day, getting to hear it from their point of view, it changes things,” Goff said.

    Last season, Woods voiced a Los Angeles Police Department recruitment commercial that aired on L.A. sports radio. He said Wednesday that he still supports the cause.

    “I still agree with people — proper people need to join the forces,” Woods said. “I think we need people of color, people who are respectable people, honest people, and to this day I still think we need to have correct police officers, but I do think we need to change some of the reforms.”

    Woods said he was uncertain whether the Rams, who have stated that they will discuss any form of on-field action as a team, will kneel during the national anthem.

    “I personally feel like the kneeling was an awareness thing. I don’t know what we will do,” Woods said. “I think the biggest thing right now is to try to have action, whether it’s going down and voting, encouraging others to vote.”

    Woods said he has signed a letter that would be sent to politicians about police reform.

    in reply to: What do we think/feel ? Anything? #116226
    Avatar photozn
    Moderator

    ZN,

    Thanks for reposting those links. Will try to remember the chat option.

    I know you mentioned there were obvious reasons for the inability to form effective coalitions on the basis of “class.” But I think the topic is still worth hashing out, despite the potential for stating the obvious.

    It’s always struck me as baffling that when America and most of the West was far less unequal, economically — during the 1960s — it seemed easier to form those coalitions. Just three people today — Bezos, Gates and Zuckerburg — control more wealth than the bottom half of the nation combined . . . and CEOs routinely make hundreds to thousands of times their rank and file. That would have been unthinkable when MLK and RFK talked about economic justice for Americans, and the young, especially, demanded economic equality.

    It’s complicated, complex, etc. etc. . . . but I still think it’s important to discuss. Why then, but not now? Today’s 99% has never been further away from the 1%. Economic hierarchies have never been this steep. The system hasn’t been this plutocrat-friendly since the first Gilded Age, etc.

    Strange days, these.

    Just improvising here, without much depth to it. But I think in different ways people are blind to both class and race.

    The difference is, that racial issues can potentially touch on people’s almost innate dedication to ideas of human rights and equality before the law. It resonates. You have to crack through a wall of blindness, but when you do, it resonates.

    Class should too but it doesn’t.

    So you see vids like I saw posted where a 12 year old girl argues with her parents about the BLM protests. The parents loudly claim it’s just lazy people who want to live off the system, and she protests that no, there’s real racial injustice.

    Ask the same 12 year old girl about the Occupy movement and of course, she has no idea what it’s about.

    Race issues then can form alliances across a wide spectrum of people, including elites. Class issues threaten elites and blind most regular folks–unless it takes the form of resenting liberal elites for their privilege, which of course they do have.

    That’s me in 3 minutes of uniformed improvisation. On this I want to hear a lot of voices and what others think.

    ….

    in reply to: tweets n things … 6/11 thru 6/15 #116223
    Avatar photozn
    Moderator

    Avatar photozn
    Moderator

    in reply to: What do we think/feel ? Anything? #116220
    Avatar photozn
    Moderator

    No luck on posting the links, ZN.

    One from the WaPo and one from Salon.

    Got em. But everyone, please read this thread: BT & others–simple things on the “spam” issue–mods please read http://theramshuddle.com/topic/bt-others-simple-things-on-the-spam-issue-mods-please-read/

    I NEED EVERYONE’S HELP WITH THIS SO PLEASE TAKE THE MERE COUPLE OF MINUTES NEEDED TO GIVE THAT LINKED POST A READ. Read this post too cause it explains why I need things done the way that post describes.

    See, if you just say something in a thread, then me seeing it depends on me happening to read that thread right away, while also posting other stuff on both forums, and also while actually doing real world work.
    That’s why I am asking people to alert me about spam-catcher issues in the chat pm–something I explain in the thread I just linked. The chat pm ALERTS me that I have a message.

    So as it stands, me catching spam-pending posts depends on (1) when I check the dashboard for pending posts (and that’s not every 20 minutes though I would like it to be) and (2) someone saying something in a thread, but me catching that quickly means reading every new post immediately 24/7.

    If you use the chat pm the advantage is, it alerts me. I get an alert and can then not simply depend on chance timing to find out a post is hung up.

    Fair enough?

    in reply to: Sports and the Protests #116214
    Avatar photozn
    Moderator

    in reply to: What do we think/feel ? Anything? #116213
    Avatar photozn
    Moderator

    Seems to me, Adolph Reed is just pointing to the idea that there’s two layers of ‘reform’ we can ‘see’ (not see, if we have ideological blinders).

    One layer has to do with all the changes in actual police polices, regulations, and discipline reforms that liberals want to see.

    The deeper layer though, has to do with Class.

    To be honest I am surprised that my friends in this thread don’t see the good news part, which is that we have had sustained, huge, widespread protests against police brutality for the first time…well since I can even remember. That means, among other things, that a majority believe the Floyd killing points to systemic racism. 4 years ago the majority did NOT believe things like that.

    This is a huge part of what’s happening. Chomsky for example on the protests: “The popular reaction to the gruesome Floyd murder has been astonishing in its national scope, fervent commitment and interracial solidarity,” observed the philosopher and social critic Noam Chomsky. I posted the source here: http://theramshuddle.com/topic/after-15-stunning-days-of-anti-racist-protests-what-happens-next/

    Why am I the only one in the thread noting this aspect of it?

    Now the problem is, while you can have a real alliance against issues revolving around race,it’s not the same for issues of class. Chomksky once said that Vietnam got heavily protested because the elite themselves were divided. It’s the exact same thing now, with the issue of systemic racism as exposed by the Floyd murder. We will NOT get the same broad alliance on issues of class. For obvious reasons.

    And along with that, it also remains to be seen what actual changes will come about. (In the article I cited, Chomsky makes that point too.) That’s a big one. But still, for right now before we know where it leads, never in our lifetimes have a majority of the population agreed that an incident like the Floyd murder pointed to pervasive, deep systemic racism, and never before has there been a sustained protest like this against something like that.

    And the fact that in many cases the police over-reacted (visibly, on camera) just helped the cause.

    …

    in reply to: tweets n things … 6/11 thru 6/15 #116209
    Avatar photozn
    Moderator

    Sarina@sarina
    Jared Goff re: New Rams OC.

    “Kevin O’Connell is awesome. I can already see he is going to be really good for us. Im excited to get on the field with him and get to work.”

    Andrew Siciliano@AndrewSiciliano
    Jared Goff says more Rams teammates have recently joined his quarantine workouts. He says he’s been the “ringleader.”

    “I’ve been throwing to the receivers for quite a while.”

    Stu Jackson@StuJRams
    Rams QB Jared Goff and WR Robert Woods both said they’ve been able to do 7-on-7 work with some teammates while adhering to local public health guidelines.

    Rookie RB Cam Akers and TE Brycen Hopkins were among the participants, and have impressed Goff.

    “Van (Jefferson) couldn’t make it, but those two guys have been great. It’s been fun to watch them learn. They’re just both so smart and able to pick things up so fast.”

    Rams RB Darrell Henderson said he would be full-go if the team could do on-field workouts right now and will be 100 percent ready for training camp. He had been spending the offseason at the team facility rehabbing a late-season ankle injury which required surgery.

    Henderson has been among those participating in recent throwing/7-on-7 sessions with quarterback Jared Goff.

    in reply to: tweets n things … 6/11 thru 6/15 #116208
    Avatar photozn
    Moderator

    in reply to: Rams on Floyd & the protests #116206
    Avatar photozn
    Moderator

    Has Kronky said a word? Has any ‘owner’?

    Khan, the owner of the Jagz, has spoken up. It’s linked in this thread: Sports and the Protests http://theramshuddle.com/topic/sports-and-the-protests/

    Or here’s another link: https://www.jaguars.com/news/racism-in-all-its-forms-will-kill-it-kills-people-it-kills-communities-it-kills-

    Near as I know Khan is the only owner to speak up. I wouldn’t expect Kroenke to. He’s a big Trump donor and this kind of issue is way over his head I would think.

    in reply to: signs, comics, memes, & other visual aids #116193
    Avatar photozn
    Moderator

Viewing 30 posts - 21,031 through 21,060 (of 48,119 total)