Forum Replies Created

Viewing 30 posts - 20,881 through 20,910 (of 48,117 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: the kickers thread…Hajrullahu cut #116866
    Avatar photozn
    Moderator

    oldnotdead

    The Ram season IMO turned basically on 2 missed FGs. If not for those, no one would be asking “what happened to the Rams?” Well, the Rams will have a new kicker this year. I think it will be Lirim Hajrullahu.

    Lirim has a better leg than Greg ever had. He’s been far and away more consistent than Greg ever was. He’s been a professional for years, kicking FGs outside in the Canadian winters. He’s proven himself under professional pressure. He would have to get sick or injured not to be the Ram’s PK this year. I think they will try to sneak Sloman onto the PS but I don’t think he will get there too many teams need a kicker like the Giants. So that probably puts MacGinnis on the PS.

    Lirim could be the last piece of the puzzle. His range and accuracy could be the deciding factor in crucial games in the same way Greg was in the NFC Championship game in 2018. The only downside is his age at 30. But being a PK minimizes that issue. Talk about under the radar weapons I think Lirim could very well be exactly that. I watched some of his Canadian kicks and I’m shocked he has lasted that long in the CFL without being signed in the NFL.

    But the reason I think he’s a lock to make the team is that he can punt. He’s not a great punter but he’s not bad either (44-45 yd aver last year) in the same way Hekker isn’t a great PK but he’s serviceable. Having both kickers being able to fill in for each other is a huge roster advantage especially this year. If Hekker shows up with a slight temp he won’t be allowed to play so having someone who can be a gameday replacement would be huge.

    Last year during the season in different games Lirim made a 62 yd FG and a 70 yd FG with the last one being in heavy November air. Imagine needing a game-winning FG in January in Chicago, Greenbay, or Philly and I think you get the value of having proven weather and pressure-proof pk.

    Yeah, he’s my pick for under the radar impact signing.

    in reply to: elections thread #116863
    Avatar photozn
    Moderator

    in reply to: virus news … (+ some dark humor) #116862
    Avatar photozn
    Moderator

    Kelly O’Donnell@KellyO
    On assignment here in Tulsa and @NBCNews has learned six members of the Trump campaign advance team staff tested positive for COVID-19. Campaign says that group will not be in attendance at tonight’s rally.

    in reply to: Noam: Its ‘unprecedented’ #116857
    Avatar photozn
    Moderator

    Stacy Alaimo from Facebook

    [me note–S.A. is the author of this:

    link https://www.amazon.com/Bodily-Natures-Science-Environment-Material/dp/0253222400/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=stacy+alaimo&qid=1592672828&s=books&sr=1-2

    and now to the actual post—>]

    I’ve been excited and hopeful about the uprisings and some of the official responses that suggest there is finally (!!!) some long overdue momentum to stop racist police violence. But I am concerned about the backlash brewing (being purposefully vague here because the specifics are triggering). And even though I’m glad so many people are reading and thinking and talking about racism and white privilege I’m worried that this will evaporate into a fuzzy sort of “awareness” (versus legislation and material change!), which various corporate and other entities pin on their products (like the pink ribbon of Susan B Komen foundation that adorns many carcinogenic products). Also, I’ve heard a few radio interviews in which white people claimed to know nothing about racism, cheerfully admitting their ignorance, which troubles me. My immediate reaction is, uh, where have you been living? WTF? But I also think about all the courses I used to teach that were focused on race, in which white students would claim to know nothing about racism, until I asked them whether they had anyone in their family who was racist or whether they had ever been around white people who were racist. As it turns out, sadly, they knew a lot about racists and racism. I’m feeling shaky with hope that things might finally begin to change, but also wary of, say the sudden endorsement of Juneteenth on a bunch of products and services, the fuzzy warm “awareness” that makes white people comfortable in their new (?) consciousness, and the ways “ignorance” can be performed as innocence. This is a mess of thoughts and feelings–that I am sure have been articulated better by someone else.

    in reply to: elections thread #116855
    Avatar photozn
    Moderator

    in reply to: Noam: Its ‘unprecedented’ #116853
    Avatar photozn
    Moderator

    I just think the DNC used the machinery to rig things. That explains Biden and to me there’s not much point in trying to dig deeper.

    To me it’s simple. People have the built in emotional concepts (I know, that’s an oxymoron) to immediately identify with issues of human rights and visible injustice. So yes absolutely this summer’s protests are completely unprecedented.

    They have less of that emotional identification when it comes to things like climate change, endless war, universal health insurance, and election machinery. That’s all more abstract and you have to want to see it, and have to actively engage in learning about it. And–most of us get swept up in just the daily routines of living and don’t develop the skills for that. So it’s easier for dominant ideology to fog things over.

    in reply to: Stadium Update #116852
    Avatar photozn
    Moderator

    in reply to: tweets … 6/20 thru 6/25 #116851
    Avatar photozn
    Moderator

    in reply to: tweets … 6/20 thru 6/25 #116850
    Avatar photozn
    Moderator

    Matt Bowen@MattBowen41
    Look at how the 49ers put stress on opposing defenses because of their ability to run & pass effectively.

    That forces you to defend both horizontally and vertically.

    The Chiefs found that balance in the Super Bowl win.

    Can look at the Rams offense in the 2018 season, too.

    in reply to: Rams & Chargers both on Hard Knocks this summer #116849
    Avatar photozn
    Moderator

    in reply to: tweets … 6/20 thru 6/25 #116848
    Avatar photozn
    Moderator

    in reply to: American sports & kneeling in protest #116847
    Avatar photozn
    Moderator

    Avatar photozn
    Moderator

    I think this is a nice article about the Rams udfas.

    Yes, and thanks for adding a link to the “guide” post.

    I know it’s just UDFAs and it’s really hard to tell with those, but, it really looks like a great crop this year.

    in reply to: tweets … 6/20 thru 6/25 #116844
    Avatar photozn
    Moderator

    in reply to: virus news … (+ some dark humor) #116840
    Avatar photozn
    Moderator

    Is immunity to this virus short-lived? Could be.

    Our biggest questions yet about immunity to covid-19 | MIT ...
    https://www.technologyreview.com/2020/06/19/1004169/biggest-questions-about-immunity-to-covid-19/

    COVID-19 immune response may remain stable for two months after diagnosis
    https://www.hindustantimes.com/world-news/covid-19-immune-response-may-remain-stable-for-two-months-after-diagnosis-scientists-say/story-BUBqEAHbk75yjj0y8oxLcN.html

    Studies Report Rapid Loss of COVID-19 Antibodies
    The results, while preliminary, suggest that survivors of SARS-CoV-2 infection may be susceptible to reinfection within weeks or months.
    https://www.the-scientist.com/news-opinion/studies-report-rapid-loss-of-covid-19-antibodies-67650

    in reply to: antifa #116830
    Avatar photozn
    Moderator

    in reply to: virus news … (+ some dark humor) #116829
    Avatar photozn
    Moderator

    in reply to: Karl Marx on lesser-evilism #116826
    Avatar photozn
    Moderator

    So you’re saying Karl Marx would vote for Biden?

    …

    in reply to: virus news … (+ some dark humor) #116825
    Avatar photozn
    Moderator

    in reply to: Just a thread for different kindsa interesting things #116820
    Avatar photozn
    Moderator

    in reply to: BLM aftermaths–news, tweets, observations, etc. #116813
    Avatar photozn
    Moderator

    from https://kmox.radio.com/articles/news/petition-calls-for-st-louis-to-be-renamed-statue-removed?fbclid=IwAR0BSKpGU_uM5mnm8oNgDk6JmcdcGu4YLfDsGSdwmh7-YDY7YZwn_eDovN4

    ST. LOUIS (KMOX) – A petition has been made with hopes of changing the city’s name in St. Louis and taking down a statue of its namesake, Saint Louis IX in Forest Park. The creators say the city’s name is “outright disrespect” to Jewish and Muslim residents and they’re asking for support.

    For those unfamiliar with King Louis IX he was a rabid anti-semite who spearheaded many persecutions against Jewish people. Centuries later Nazi Germany gained inspiration and ideas from Louis IX. Louis IX was also vehemently Islamophobic and led a murderous crusade against Muslims which ultimately cost him his life

    in reply to: Noam: Its ‘unprecedented’ #116812
    Avatar photozn
    Moderator

    I’m going to assume you are using “progressive” as a noun and not a verb. Because I believe many democrats be they liberal or centrist think progressively in terms of seeking a “forward” out of the present which focuses on going backward in search of Camelot.

    And that’s not what leftists and progressives mean when we say someone is or isn’t a leftist or progressive.

    If you’re going to respect different views, W, you have to actually have a sense of what they are to the people who hold them.

    Justa thot.

    …

    in reply to: Police & protestors — conflicting images #116805
    Avatar photozn
    Moderator

    in reply to: tweets … 6/16 thru 6/19 #116793
    Avatar photozn
    Moderator

    in reply to: tweets … 6/16 thru 6/19 #116792
    Avatar photozn
    Moderator

    in reply to: tweets … 6/16 thru 6/19 #116790
    Avatar photozn
    Moderator

    from https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2020/05/23/la-rams-darious-williams-brandon-staley-cornerback/

    First-year defensive coordinator Brandon Staley singled out Williams on Thursday as a player he really likes.

    “I really like this secondary group. I think that Darious Williams is a guy that played really good football for this group in the last couple games,” Staley said. “I think this guy can cover, I think he’s got a really good skill set for corner. He can run, he can change directions, he can play the ball in the deep part of the field, he’s got a good body. Him and David Long – Troy Hill has played a lot of different positions in the NFL, provides a lot of versatility. Those guys really are exciting to be able to work with and we can use those guys in some unique ways, hopefully.”

    Avatar photozn
    Moderator

    in reply to: BLM aftermaths–news, tweets, observations, etc. #116785
    Avatar photozn
    Moderator

    in reply to: tweets … 6/16 thru 6/19 #116783
    Avatar photozn
    Moderator

    in reply to: Police & protestors — conflicting images #116779
    Avatar photozn
    Moderator

    A WV post. I moved it from another thread.

    “In Uprooting Racism, Paul Kivel makes a useful comparison between the rhetoric abusive men employ to justify beating up their girlfriends, wives, or children and the publicly traded justifications for widespread racism. He writes: During the first few years that I worked with men who are violent I was continually perplexed by their inability to see the effects of their actions and their ability to deny the violence they had done to their partners or children. I only slowly became aware of the complex set of tactics that men use to make violence against women invisible and to avoid taking responsibility for their actions. These tactics are listed below in the rough order that men employ them.… (1) Denial: “I didn’t hit her.” (2) Minimization: “It was only a slap.” (3) Blame: “She asked for it.” (4) Redefinition: “It was mutual combat.” (5) Unintentionality: “Things got out of hand.” (6) It’s over now: “I’ll never do it again.” (7) It’s only a few men: “Most men wouldn’t hurt a woman.” (8) Counterattack: “She controls everything.” (9) Competing victimization: “Everybody is against men.” Kivel goes on to detail the ways these nine tactics are used to excuse (or deny) institutionalized racism. Each of these tactics also has its police analogy, both as applied to individual cases and in regard to the general issue of police brutality. Here are a few examples: (1) Denial. “The professionalism and restraint … was nothing short of outstanding.” “America does not have a human-rights problem.” (2) Minimization. Injuries were “of a minor nature.” “Police use force infrequently.” (3) Blame. “This guy isn’t Mr. Innocent Citizen, either. Not by a long shot.” “They died because they were criminals.” (4) Redefinition. It was “mutual combat.” “Resisting arrest.” “The use of force is necessary to protect yourself.” (5) Unintentionality. “[O]fficers have no choice but to use deadly force against an assailant who is deliberately trying to kill them.…” (6) It’s over now. “We’re making changes.” “We will change our training; we will do everything in our power to make sure it never happens again.” (7) It’s only a few men. “A small proportion of officers are disproportionately involved in use-of-force incidents.” “Even if we determine that the officers were out of line … it is an aberration.” (8) Counterattack. “The only thing they understand is physical force and pain.” “People make complaints to get out of trouble.” (9) Competing victimization. The police are “in constant danger.” “[L]iberals are prejudiced against police, much as many white police are biased against Negroes.” The police are “the most downtrodden, oppressed, dislocated minority in America.” Another commonly invoked rationale for justifying police violence is: (10) The Hero Defense. “These guys are heroes.” “The police routinely do what the rest of us don’t: They risk their lives to keep the peace. For that selfless bravery, they deserve glory, laud and honor.” “[W]ithout the police … anarchy would be rife in this country, and the civilization now existing on this hemisphere would perish.” “[T]hey alone stand guard at the upstairs door of Hell.”
    ― Kristian Williams, Our Enemies in Blue: Police and Power in America

Viewing 30 posts - 20,881 through 20,910 (of 48,117 total)