Forum Replies Created

Viewing 30 posts - 10,651 through 10,680 (of 12,972 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Rams News Recap: Sept. 16 #30713
    Avatar photowv
    Participant
    in reply to: Tweets 9/16 …. injuries & recoveries (Johnson back?) #30700
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    I am quite heartened that Sims is out for only a few weeks. I thought that was the end of his season.

    Yeah Sims is one of those good role players that you need
    to win a Ring. Maybe, kinda like an Ernie Conwell. Ya know.
    He can make some big plays, with all the attention Quinn
    and Donald get.

    w
    v

    At last…the Rams have a lot of those kind of guys again.

    Jeeze. It was just 5 years ago a guy like Sims was the best player in his unit. Now we have those kind of guys in depth positions. Conwell, Robinson, Holcombe, those kind of guys who were just suddenly there making a big play.

    Yup. I’m still waiting for this team to come into clear focus.
    Maybe It’ll be a bit like the GSOT. I dont mean it’ll be as good,
    but the GSOT made a LOT of mistakes in the Martz years, but they were often
    good enough to overcome the lack of fundamentals. Maybe Fisher’s team
    will make a lot of mistakes but that ferocious front seven may
    overcome it, anyway.

    I dunno what was going on with Seattle’s defense, but there were
    numerous times Ram receivers seemed wide open. Did it seem that way to you?

    w
    v

    in reply to: more PFF stuff on the Rams & the game #30691
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    This will sound weird, but A.Donald reminds me of Ali
    sometimes. The power/speed combination. And the way
    he sometimes just makes opposing players look like Chuck Wepner.

    He Floats like a butterfly and stings like a bee.

    w
    v

    in reply to: Wow, how thunk that? (Seattle game reaction thread) #30690
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    just want to add one thing. to kind of temper the excitement around foles. he got lucky. the terms we use. the intangibles. the improvisation. being a gamer. it could have easily gone the other way. the pass to tavon was woefully underthrown and should have been a td. the pass to cook in the first half was a terrible throw and should easily have been a touchdown. instead it was just a first down. that jump shot to cunningham everyone raves about. easily could have been a disaster. those things aren’t always going to go well. i don’t think foles is that good. i’m still of the belief that he ultimately needs a strong running game to mask his shortcomings. mostly his lack of arm strength.

    but most importantly, that touchdown to kendricks was also woefully underthrown. if bailey doesn’t trip over his own feet. he easily breaks up that pass. and we might be looking at a rams’ loss.

    just wanted to add that to here. although i do think he played well. don’t get me wrong. it’s good to know he can make plays when the rams need it. and that’ll come in handy. but ultimately i think the rams need the running game fast or defenses will start making foles pay.

    Well, I dunno. I think he was also “unlucky” at times. I mean
    how many games is he gonna get blind-sided, stripped and give up a TD ?

    Let us hope it is not a regular occurrence.

    As a gazillion posters have noted this year — if he’s significantly better than Austin and Clemmens, the offense should win a few more games. And so far he looks significantly better than a second string QB. If anything, he looks like a guy that just might scare teams in the fourth quarter in close games.

    w
    v

    in reply to: Tweets 9/16 …. injuries & recoveries (Johnson back?) #30687
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    I am quite heartened that Sims is out for only a few weeks. I thought that was the end of his season.

    Yeah Sims is one of those good role players that you need
    to win a Ring. Maybe, kinda like an Ernie Conwell. Ya know.
    He can make some big plays, with all the attention Quinn
    and Donald get.

    w
    v

    in reply to: Thomas: Rams won almost in spite of themselves against Seattle #30631
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    I’d cut Peade now. Seriously. Just cut him. Please. Just do it.

    Just watching him on KO returns is painful. Not sure I’ve seen him cross the 15 yard line very often. Rams O would gain 5 yards per KO if he simply took a knee…

    Oh, I’d feel relieved if he always took a knee in the endzone.
    I mean, the odds are lower that he’d fumble it, then.

    If yer gonna be a fumbler you better be Eric Dickerson.
    Or at the very least Az Hakim. Pead is more of a Cleveland Gary.

    w
    v

    • This reply was modified 11 years ago by Avatar photowv.
    in reply to: My favourite Canadian of All-time #30628
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    “Some people can’t figure out what I’m doing,” he had said in June. “It’s not a walk-hop, it’s not a trot. It’s running, or as close as I can get to running, and it’s harder than doing it on two legs. It makes me mad when people call this a walk. If I was walking, it wouldn’t be anything.”

    He would run two miles, take a brief water break at the van that his best friend, Doug Alward, drove beside him, run another two miles, and then take another break. Terry continued this routine until he covered 14 to 16 miles, usually finishing his morning stint by 8. He would rest for three hours, then run another 10 to 12 miles, regardless of heat, cold, crowds, or headwinds.

    In the afternoons and evenings, he gave interviews and addressed audiences in community halls and school gyms. As he spoke, a representative of the Canadian Cancer Society would move among the crowd, collecting bills and change in plastic trash bags and wrinkled grocery sacks. Every cent went directly to fighting cancer; all expenses for the Marathon of Hope were separately donated. He declined all sponsorship offers and displayed no advertising logos, not even a T-shirt with the name of a college or hockey team. The only hint of a corporation’s presence were the three parallel stripes on Terry’s dark-blue Adidas Orions….see link
    http://www.runnersworld.com/runners-stories/terry-foxs-marathon-of-hope

    in reply to: My favourite Canadian of All-time #30627
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    Yeah, I remember that guy.

    http://www.runnersworld.com/runners-stories/terry-foxs-marathon-of-hope
    “…Terry Fox; in a 2004 poll among Canadians, he was voted the second greatest Canadian of all time in any field….”

    w
    v

    in reply to: Top Films of all-time — a list #30626
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    Inter estingly, on that Sight and Sound top50 list, only
    two films made the list from 2000 or later:

    In The Mood For Love
    and

    Mulholland Drive

    w
    v

    in reply to: more PFF stuff on the Rams & the game #30623
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    Donald isn’t far off from establishing himself as the best player from a 2014 draft class that also features Raiders OLB Khalil Mack and Giants WR Odell Beckham Jr.

    before last year’s draft i had expressed the hope that the rams could at some point pick the flat out best player in one of these drafts. didn’t matter who it was. but you just look back on that draft and think to yourself that team just nailed that pick.

    i think the rams nailed that pick.

    Would u rather have Donald or O’Dell Beckham?

    w
    v

    in reply to: scenes from the Seattle game #30622
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    Brock Huard’s Chalk Talk: Why Seahawks failed on fourth-and-1 against Rams

    That was fun. I wish the St.Louis media had a smart X’s and O’s guy
    that could do that every week.

    w
    v

    in reply to: Rams training their Millennials – WSJ article #30621
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    in reply to: how does Foles look to you so far #30572
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    in reply to: What does yesterday's victory mean (re: the big picture)? #30550
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    Tavon did look more confident, but success will do that 🙂
    You know what i liked best about his game — the short pass he caught
    to keep a critical drive going. It wasnt anything spectacular — just a short
    route that he’s run a million times under Brian Shot. — but this time he caught it, secured it and got the first down. There were a lot of clutch catches in this game
    but that was one of them. It was a ‘routine’ looking clutch play.

    Tavon HAS to hold on to the passes. So far so good.

    You get the sense that Foles trusts ALL of his receivers.

    w
    v

    • This reply was modified 11 years ago by Avatar photowv.
    in reply to: What does yesterday's victory mean (re: the big picture)? #30488
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    I watched the Replay, and the thing that stood out to me
    was simply this — the Rams have as much or more talent than the Seahawks.

    I mean, if you look at each unit on defense, offense, special teams, secondary —
    the Rams were not outmanned. Not anymore.

    So, from here on in, its all about execution, motivation, poise, coaching.

    I’ll also echo what posters all over the net are saying — it makes
    a big difference when you are starting an actual, No.1 QB.
    Foles made some elite throws out there. And he improvised.
    And he ran. And he was clutch. And he was tough. What a difference.

    Think about the difference a tough, clutch, starting QB makes
    in ROAD games. Think about it.

    Pead is a liability, imho. I’d cut him. He’s always been a fumbler
    and he still is. I’d replace him with a non-fumbler. This team
    will win a lot of games if they dont lose the turnover battle.

    Picture this down the road — Gurley and Tre added to the mix.
    Brian Quick added to the mix. The OLine getting more and more experience.

    I liked the way Cignetti/Foles attacked the middle of the field
    with Medium passes. If i remember right, all three of those 80 yard
    drives had a zinger up the middle. Man, i loved that.

    I cant recall any dropped passes by a TE or WR — were there any
    drops other than B.Cunningham’s one dropped pass?
    The receivers all played well, i thought and looked well-coached.

    Its awfully tough to overcome a strip-sack-score in the 4th quarter.
    This is not the same ole sorry ass Rams. Too much talent now, for that.
    So, again, to me, what stood out most was just the sheer amount of raw talent
    i saw on this Team. The execution still leaves a lot to be desired.

    w
    v

    in reply to: Wow, how thunk that? (Seattle game reaction thread) #30471
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    JamesJM

    On Foles, what I see are the ‘intangibles’. That’s hard to put into words, much less quantify. I got that vibe from him… that of a player who ain’t perhaps pretty, or a stat making machine (although today he had very good stats), but perhaps ‘more’ importantly a guy who can find a way to win and inspires others to do the same. There was a different ‘feel’ to this game, for me.

    Now don’t get me wrong… when the Hawks took the lead late in the 4th I fell back into my chair with a degree of grim resignation just like most… BUT….when they got the ball again it was different for me, than the last two years anyway, perhaps longer. I didn’t give up…. but more than that…. I really thought they had a shot to pull out the miracle come from behind.

    There was determination on that Ram’s team today that was palpable. I don’t put that all in Foles performance, but I certainly think he led the way. – JamesJM

    Yeah, Foles definitely aint pretty. He aint Bert Jones,
    but he ‘is’ kinda ‘old-school’ in a way.
    He’s tenacious and a gamer. He’s Roman Gabriel-ish.

    He’s also a leader. The man is a leader.
    And he knows “people” — its very obvious
    in his statements that he understands
    human-psychology, fan-psychology, player-psychology.

    w
    v

    in reply to: Nick Foles #30415
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    that foles to bailey pass in ot i think. beautiful. that safety just happened to be earl thomas. albeit an injured earl thomas.

    Yes. That was Earl Thomas. And Richard Sherman. And they were both “right there”.
    Great great pass. Clutch, tough catch.

    It bodes well for the future.
    Really does.

    w
    v

    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    This has to be one of the ALLTIME best Ram openers.

    Maybe THE best.

    Can anyone think of a better, more significant,
    more exciting Opening win that this?

    I cant.

    w
    v

    in reply to: Wow, how thunk that? (Seattle game reaction thread) #30409
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    As I said in the prediction thread, the Rams would win this one in overtime 34-31. Sure, you all laughed then–thought it was a big joke. But I just knew it–something in my gut.

    In any case—-I haven’t been this happy about a football victory in years.

    Foles: Love him.

    Cignetti: Love him.

    Donald: I want to have his baby.

    Tavon: Love him too.

    What a great football Sunday. I have all week to enjoy it.

    Its true. You called it.

    And i breathlessly await your
    prediction on the Washington game,
    which I believe you have promised
    to reveal next Sunday about 7:30 pm.

    w
    v

    in reply to: I get to read this kind of stuff for a living. #30406
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    Anyway, its fun to see young people stretching, growing,
    changing, learning, aint it. I mean, when it actually happens.
    Not sayin it will happen with this student.

    That’s not what I saw though, myself. What I saw was a young person struggling to explain her own ideological limitations but expressing them as these big revelations. It’s someone who wants to cling to the past.

    So for example nothing threatens the private beliefs of her homeless man.

    It’s just that we’re moving toward a society where limits on individual power includes less sanction for abridging the human rights and civil liberties of groups previously allowed less of either.

    Oh and myself, I tend to look at rhetorical situations far more than “concepts.” Given that, the term “reverse racism” is just this excuse racists use so they can justify not changing.

    Have I encountered situations where an individual or 2 expressed dislike for me solely on the basis of race? Yes. I didn’t bat an eye at it. Just moved on. I know I have multiple safe zones in my society when it comes to that. If I weren’t white, would that kind of thing happen far more frequently, and have a more far-reaching effect? Yes. Would I have fewer safe zones? Yes.

    Well, I dont think i disagree with any of that, other
    than maybe a slight disagreement on how much that student
    was “trying” to figure something out.

    I suspect that student will write something more
    insightful down the road. Ya know.
    After Zooey beats her senseless with
    a rubber hose.

    w
    v

    in reply to: Wow, how thunk that? (Seattle game reaction thread) #30403
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    Well, I wouldn’t-a-thunk-it!

    Got back from the driving range and am amazed by the result. Fantastic.

    Sounds like it was a weird game. Hard to tell from the box score what really happened.

    But, I see we got 3 sacks? That’s encouraging. Seems as if the D played fairly well, with 14 points yielded by the O and STs. (Just watched the NFL Channel highlights)

    I’ll be interested to see reports on the OL.

    But for me the biggest issue is how our DL is empowered to play. With 3 sacks and Lynch held to 78 (?) that’s a pretty good sign.

    A good start. Over .500 for the first time in forever. Next week 2-0?

    We need it. And you know what? Ram fans DESERVE IT!

    Indeed, my friend.

    Let us savor the undefeated Rams 🙂

    w
    v

    in reply to: Nick Foles #30402
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    I liked what I saw today.

    The snap bouncing off his chest and the strip for a TD, not so much. But the rest? Yup.

    I believe it was WV who was wondering out loud a while back if Foles had “it”. That ability to suffer a setback or two, leaving him staring into a potential loss late in the game. And, despite what the situation looked liked, having the ability to lead the team down the field for a score.

    Can’t say after 1 game that Foles does indeed have ” it”, but I will say that it felt pretty good to watch what happened today, particularly after watching games get lost time and again in past history.

    Rams started Fast this year,
    for a change. YaY 🙂

    OMG.

    I shall savor this,
    my Ram Comrads.

    w
    v

    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    PS — somebody post some damn HIGHLIGHTS.
    Like, right now.

    It was a crazy game, WV.

    Highlights:

    http://theramshuddle.com/topic/highlights-seahawks-at-rams/

    OMG. The PASS to Stedman? Are you kidding me. The CATCH
    by Stedman? Are you kidding me? That was hall of fame
    stuff right there. Jeezus.

    If the Oline can just be “OK” this team could
    win 12.

    Bring on the Patriots.
    Bring on the 1976 Russian Olympic Basketball team.
    Bring on Rommel’s Tank corps.
    Bring on Tonya Harding.

    OMG.

    I may watch this game five times this week.
    w
    v

    • This reply was modified 11 years, 1 month ago by Avatar photowv.
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    PS — somebody post some damn HIGHLIGHTS.
    Like, right now.

    w
    v

    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    Well, i missed the game. Had to go to a jail
    in southern wv, but i just got home and…
    checked the score…and……and…..
    ……HOLY FUCKING MOTHER OF GOD, JESUS H CHRIST, LORD-ALMIGHTY!!!
    YES! YES! FUDKING YESSSSSS!!!!

    OMG.

    This is a dream, right? I”m gonna wake up
    and its gonna be 24 to 9 Seattle,
    and Jeff Fisher is gonna be explaining
    how Foles blew out his knee, and why Saffold
    is gonna miss three weeks, and…and…then
    there’s gonna be an RFL post that,
    frankly, I’m too frightened to even open…

    w
    v

    in reply to: I get to read this kind of stuff for a living. #30303
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    Oh, she’s trying.

    This “essay” was not an assignment. She just wrote it and emailed it to me to ask me my thoughts.

    See, I spent 20 minutes in class yesterday making distinctions between Prejudice, Discrimination, and Racism (systemic and institutionalized). I said that Reverse Racism is basically not possible since minorities don’t have the structures in place to fortify discrimination. I think she was reacting to the general unfairness of that. In America, everyone should have the right to be racist. It’s unfair that racism is just another privilege of the white elite. At least, I think that’s what I have on my hands.

    It did cause me to think about it more, and I can now think of an example of a black-controlled institution that discriminated against me, so I guess that was Reverse Racism, but I don’t think Reverse Racism really exists – not the way Rush Limbaugh and his legions believe it does, anyway.

    Yeah, the “reverse racism” issue is tricky. Whatever group of humans has the most power
    is, obviously going to have a scarier, uglier, kind of “racism” etc.
    But figuring out all the concentric and overlapping kinds of “power” is a complex task.

    It always helps me to think of these things in abstract non-historical ways — for example
    thinking of a planet or city with green people and purple people…
    And then after that kind of thot-experiment to look at actual history…

    Anyway, its fun to see young people stretching, growing,
    changing, learning, aint it. I mean, when it actually happens.
    Not sayin it will happen with this student.

    Teachers get to have that experience of satisfaction
    when they can help a young human become more humane.

    w
    v

    • This reply was modified 11 years, 1 month ago by Avatar photowv.
    in reply to: going over the 16 game schedule #30281
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    I’m not sure at Arizona is very winnable. Not if Palmer is healthy.

    That 4 game stretch of at Baltimore, at Cincy, AZ, and Detroit is a killer. I would be elated if they could go 2-2 against that group.

    Well I think a team thats turned the corner
    and is on the rise, is gonna start looking
    better than a .500 team.

    And I think this is the year that happens.
    Despite the OLine issues.

    w
    v

    in reply to: I get to read this kind of stuff for a living. #30278
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    Well, I’ve read a lot worse 🙂 I mean, the writer is lacking
    a lot of political-development and the ideas there are kinda
    jumbled and off-the-mark but…i dunno…at least that
    young-writer is…oh…”trying.” I mean, the writing suggests
    a young person who is struggling and thinking and “trying”
    it seems to me. I have read a lot of shit from young people
    who don’t even seem to be “trying”. If that makes any sense.

    As far as the actual substance of the thing — I think the writer
    could get something out of a few essays on white privilege.
    Seems like the writer gets hung up on “labels” and doesnt have
    any grounding in history…..blah blah blah.

    w
    v

    in reply to: going over the 16 game schedule #30275
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    I agree with that. Those are the only
    two games I think are out of reach.

    If they can be 3 and 3 after game six,
    I think they have a Most-Excellent chance
    at ten and six. And i think 3 and 3 is
    realistic. My own wild-speculation is
    they beat Washington, the Cardinals,
    and the Browns in that first six-game stretch.

    After that, maybe they get Gurley and Tre going
    and the OLine gels and things improve.

    w
    v

    • This reply was modified 11 years, 1 month ago by Avatar photowv.
    in reply to: Will the Rams beat Seattle? #30242
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    Hmmmm. I dunno, but I suppose I’d have to say…no.

    Mainly because Seattle is arguably the best team in the NFC
    and possibly the NFL. And the Rams wont have Tre or Gurley
    and the Oline probly aint quite all gelled and stuff.

    I expect a good showing though. I expect a close game.
    But I figure the first win comes in week two.

    w
    v

Viewing 30 posts - 10,651 through 10,680 (of 12,972 total)