Forum Replies Created

Viewing 30 posts - 6,751 through 6,780 (of 12,946 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: The Feb. 2018 Rams draft thread #80758
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    Cut
    Robert Quinn – $11.4 million
    Mark Barron – $7 million
    Roger Saffold – $6.5 million
    Tavon Austin – $3 million

    Resign
    Lamarcus Joyner
    Sammy Watkins
    Derrick Carrier
    Dominique Easley
    Jake McQuaide
    Tyrunn Walker
    Matt Longacre
    Malcolm Brown
    Troy Hill
    Cody Davis

    Extend
    Aaron Donald – Hopefully works for both parties

    Players to sign
    Kyle Fuller CB Chicago Bears
    Jelani Jenkins LB Houston Texans
    Mason Foster LB Washington Redskins
    Shamarko Thomas S Buffalo Bills

    *Draft
    1. Martinas Rankin OT Mississippi State
    3. Kendrick Norton NT Miami(Fla)
    4. Kevin Toliver CB LSU
    5. Darius Jackson 3/4 OLB Jacksonville State
    6a. Mason Cole C Michigan
    b. Brendan Mahon G Penn State
    c. Brandon Fracyson CB Virginia Tech
    7a. Kellen Soulek DT/DE South Dakota State
    b. Jeremiah Briscoe QB Sam Houston State

    * -only did a temporary Rams drafting. I will have a full NFL draft when at the end of April. Days of the draft.

    =================

    That draft looks sensible to me, but I wouldnt cut Saffold. Why cut a great guard (who can swing to tackle) who knows the system?

    w
    v

    in reply to: The Feb. 2018 Rams draft thread #80754
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    What happened to their 2nd round pick? Are they still dealing with the Goff trade-up? Or was that the Watkins trade?

    I dont like that mock at all. No LT? Really? Aint gonna happen that way.

    w
    v

    in reply to: peter king on super bowl #80752
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    Benoit:https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/02/05/malcolm-butler-benching-eagles-passing-scheme-super-bowl-52

    “…the Patriots gave up the fewest points in the NFL after Week 5, but as it turns out, the flush was indeed initiated in that Week 4 debacle. It just took until Super Bowl 52 for the water to disappear.

    “We knew they had problems when you force them to defend stacks and bunches,” said one Eagles offensive assistant after the game. “You look at early in the year, against those stacks, they were losing guys.”

    What the Eagles saw, particularly in that Carolina game, was that the Patriots couldn’t figure out how to defend receivers who released together on intersected routes, especially when pre-snap motion was involved. New England righted things in Week 5 (and moving forward) by simplifying into more basic man-to-man principles—and that simplification is what Philadelphia exploited Sunday night…
    …
    …The Eagles consistently created favorable angles and leverage for their receivers, and at times they even dictated favorable matchups. They got some significant help here from the Patriots, who shockingly benched starting corner Malcolm Butler. Asked when they realized Butler would not be playing, the Eagles assistant said, “After the first series or two. We were like, ‘This guy’s not in the game! They have 23 [Patrick Chung] in there. That’s crazy!’””

    • This reply was modified 8 years, 8 months ago by Avatar photowv.
    in reply to: peter king on super bowl #80751
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    “…Inside the Eagles’ locker room, I got Pederson alone and asked where this football ethos came from.

    “Playing quarterback, watching a lot of teams, a lot of football,” he said. “You learn if you play passive, if you play conservative, if you call plays conservatively, you are going to be 8-8, 9-7 every year. Every year. Frank and I just having that collaborative spirit to talk about things and talk with our quarterbacks and just come up with ways of keeping this game fresh and fun and exciting for our players. And that’s really where it all stems from.”

    in reply to: Eagles win…reactions? #80744
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    If the Atlanta Falcons Coach hadnt totally screwed up the fourth quarter last year, Pats Fans all over New England would be hitting themselves with snow shovels even harder, right now.

    I guess the Eagles are pretty good. I guess.

    w
    v

    in reply to: What Are You Eating Today? #80728
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    For us, it’s cheesesteaks and tastykake cupcakes. Those are both Philly things.

    I must confess that I’m not a huge cheesesteak fan–at least the way they make them in Philly which involves minute steaks and a cheese whiz option.

    I live in a Philly suburb and here in the magical land of Berks County we eat are steak sandwiches with a tomato sauce on top. Delicious. But today–my wife insists we go traditional.

    ===============

    Im eating cheesecake.

    …I ate here a couple times last year. Had the best doughnut I’ve ever eaten. Ever go there?

    in reply to: first they came for the ghost cats #80727
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    When I lived in PA there were occasional sightings by people I would consider credible and the same is true here in Vermont.

    But the lack of physical evidence is telling.

    I would like to see mountain lions reintroduced here in the east. Wolves too.

    ==================

    I would like to see Black Rhinos introduced here in WV.

    Black Rhinos matter.

    w
    v

    in reply to: "Martin died of a broken heart" #80726
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    So i was talking to Republican-Fox-Watching-Evangelical-wv-mom, and i mentioned Martin Luther King, and she sneared at the notion he was a Christian. She noted
    he cheated on his wife, etc.

    So then i said, “but wv-mom you Luuuuv Mr Trump, and he’s a total Weasel.

    And she said, “He may have done some things in the past but he’s God’s instrument now. He’s a good christian man, now.”

    She also said she was rooting for “Tom Brady because he’s “not ashamed touphold Christian family values.”

    So there you have it. This is one of the many reasons the biosphere is fucked.

    w
    v

    in reply to: has anyone done all 3 before? #80707
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    I feel blessed.

    w
    v

    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    Yes, I’ll watch it. I haven’t missed one as long as I can remember. I’m going to a party. The guy who’s throwing it is a friend of mine and a Pats fan, so in deference to our friendship I’ll be silently rooting for the Eagles.

    =============

    What if Foles outduels Brady.

    What then?

    What would it mean?

    End times?

    w
    v

    in reply to: russia-gate and the memo #80680
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    …im also skimming “Fug You,” a kindof gonzo memoir from Ed Sanders, a 60s activist.
    Just cuz i Found it at a yard sale.

    “…When you read about Mr. Sanders’s journey through the demonstrations at the 1968 Democratic National Convention in Chicago — which led to the arrest and trial of the Chicago Seven — you might marvel at a passage in which he eats some powerful hash-oiled honey. “I looked up through the tear-gas sonata of Lincoln Park,” he writes, “and the Universe from the edge of the Lake up across the wide Midwest sky was made up of pulsing, writhing mountains and vistas of spinach.” These same words, and many others in the same chapter, were arranged almost exactly as poetry in his book “1968: A History in Verse,” published in 1997.

    But that’s all right. Mr. Sanders is a creative collector and recycler. Elsewhere in this book he describes a moment of penury in 1964 when he assembled a catalog of literary ephemera, including two packets of the pubic hair from famous poets — O’Hara, LeRoi Jones, Edwin Denby, Ted Berrigan and others — harvested by Ginsberg and donated to Mr. Sanders as a favor. The items “sold briskly,” he notes.

    In February 1967 Mr. Sanders appeared on the cover of Life magazine as a leader of “the Other Culture,” but he was perhaps both a little too scholarly and a little too normal to become a true sixties martyr-symbol….”
    Review:http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/12/books/fug-you-by-ed-sanders-review.html

    in reply to: russia-gate and the memo #80669
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    Well we disagree on most of this russia-gate thing, as you know, BT, but I’m pulling for you in your cancer-battle.

    PS — i am reading the China Mieville book “October”.

    w
    v
    “The most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss, and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity, and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, and a deep loving concern. Beautiful people do not just happen.” ― Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    Nah, i wont watch it. But i havent watched one in a long time.

    I seem to be a Ram fan, as opposed to a football fan these days.

    Wouldnt surprise me if the Eagles won, btw.

    w
    v

    in reply to: should the Rams sign Watkins or move on? #80642
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    Quinn will be an interesting decision too. Or is he already signed for next year?

    Seems like there’s a lot of disagreement over the value of:
    Barron, Quinn, Tru, and Watkins.

    w
    v

    in reply to: should the Rams sign Watkins or move on? #80638
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    I dunno. But i trust Mc-Snead to know what he’s worth and act accordingly.

    w
    v

    in reply to: counterpunch on Bernie #80625
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    Yeah. Well. Coupla things. First, I don’t think it is true to say that Bernie is out to save the “Euro-American” middle class, so much as it is accurate to say that much of his base is “Euro-American” middle class. Bernie DOES talk about the poor, so I don’t know what that guy is listening to. I think it’s fair to say that Bernie doesn’t emphasize the poor, but they do get a fair amount of attention. And the $15/hour, universal health, free college policies would help the poor considerably.

    Do we need more than that? Sure. But Bernie is a realistic option, the most left option there is. Political shifts take time, unless….

    I keep reading references to Late Stage Capitalism…and they may be right. One way or another, our system has to go. I do not think it’s a given that whatever supersedes it will be better. In all likelihood, seems to me, we are more likely to return to some sort of feudal system. In America, a systemic collapse will be terrifying. We are not one of the countries on this planet with a strong sense of community. We are divided – a lot – by a lot of things: politics, race, religion. And we are heavily armed with a long love affair with violent solutions. If we aren’t going to move gradually to the left – take what we can get – the alternative is ugly.

    =============

    I tend to agree with all that.

    w
    v

    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    Obviously video taping another team’s practices is a no-no because the Pats were punished for that but is stealing signals really cheating?

    Yes it;s cheating.

    Though it;s not against league rules.

    Why not? It’s unenforceable. So the league says, each team is on its own to provide security,

    ===============

    I didnt know that. I thought stealing them was fair-game, but videotaping them in order to steal them was a violation.

    The Carl Sweetan scandal is still the only one i know where someone tried to sell stuff to another team.

    w
    v

    in reply to: Chiefs trade Alex Smith to Washington #80605
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    Well who is gonna be the QB for the Chiefs?

    w
    v

    in reply to: LaFleur takes OC job with Titans #80582
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    Should we be concerned that Olsen and La-floor are gone?

    w
    v

    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    It would be nice to know ‘how much’ they cheated, and whether or ‘how much’ it affected actual outcomes of meaningful games.

    It would also be nice to know how much ‘other’ teams have cheated in the NFL over the years. It would put things in context.

    Like, ya know, maybe the Cleveland Browns have been cheating for the last decade. Ya know.

    w
    v

    in reply to: Offensive Tackles in the 2018 draft #80543
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    Well, i like the fact that he might be able to play every single position on the OLine. Think of how valuable a guy like that might be when the injuries start coming.

    w
    v

    from a senior bowl report:

    Isaiah Wynn showed why Daniel Jeremiah had him in round 1. I haven’t seen an OG win that overwhelmingly and consistently in as long as I can remember watching these practices … he may go 2nd for interior guys …

    ============

    Remember when a lot of folks thought Aaron Donald was too short.

    Wynn feels like an A.Donald to me. Just a hunch.

    w
    v

    in reply to: Offensive Tackles in the 2018 draft #80526
    Avatar photowv
    Participant
    in reply to: Offensive Tackles in the 2018 draft #80524
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    Well that wasn’t that much shorter I guess…

    =============

    Well, i like the fact that he might be able to play every single position on the OLine. Think of how valuable a guy like that might be when the injuries start coming.

    w
    v

    in reply to: Cannibalism and human evolution #80517
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    in reply to: A to Z personnel change #80516
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    Britt to Woods , what’s his name to Sully at C , June Henley to Marshal Faulk

    ==========

    Well, i dunno. June Henley was pretty good.

    🙂

    “…While with the Rams he appeared in eleven games, where he had 88 carries for 313 yards and 3 touchdowns. The following summer, a toe injury effectively ended his career.
    Legal trouble

    On November 17, 2005, Henley was arrested in Columbus for participating in a burglary. After pleading guilty to aggravated robbery and aggravated burglary, he was sentenced to four years in prison.[1]

    Later on September 26, 2013, Henley was arrested again for theft when he was caught on video surveillance stealing from a Walmart. He has yet to stand trial and has only been accused at this time.[2]” Wikipedia
    w
    v

    in reply to: The Reese's Senior Bowl #80499
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    What draft pix do the rams have this year? I know they have a first. Do they have one second and one third and one fourth, etc?

    w
    v

    in reply to: at this point, how does this draft look for the Rams? #80498
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    I thought OT was strong?

    I have seen lists that make the OT class look pretty good.

    w
    v

    Yeah I have the same impression. BUT there are no elite, surefire top of the draft LOTs. It’s more like, pick your guy to develop, with some intriguing possibilities.

    =============

    Right.

    But thats fine, the Rams just need a young stud to develop and fill in for injuries next year. I want two OLinemen in the draft and one has to be an LT drafted in the first or second.

    We are in accord. This is not a Russian issue 🙂

    w
    v

    in reply to: from Ted Rall, the Tom Tomorrow guy #80497
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    The world’s task is this. Should the world follow the American model — extreme capitalism, no public investment, cruelty as a way of life, the perversion of everyday virtue — then these new social pathologies will follow, too.

    A Russian had the brazen hypocrisy to say THAT?

    It’s almost like a Monty Python sketch.

    Really, and this is completely honest. Unless you’re reading the actual Russian leftist dissident critiques of Russia, you’re just being sucked down a propaganda tube.

    I would say the same thing to a non-American who took the American mainstream view of America at its word.

    .

    =================

    Yeah, i knew you would feel that way, zn. I knew it when i posted that.

    No problem. I get your view.

    Thing is, he’s just saying things a lot of us have said on this board for years and years.

    Sure he’s being all ‘black and white’ about it, and sure he’s just hi-lighting the bleak-dark stuff and ignoring the other stuff. And sure he has an obvious agenda (like everyone). And sure he’s ignoring russia (so what, its not a story about russia, or china or guam) But essentially his points are all things we’ve noted on this board for years.

    w
    v

    in reply to: interview: Dan Orlovsky on the Rams (good read) #80491
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    I liked that article.

    He bashed Mannion. He’s a Mannion-Basher.

    w
    v

    in reply to: at this point, how does this draft look for the Rams? #80489
    Avatar photowv
    Participant

    I have seen lists that make the OT class look pretty good.

    w
    v

Viewing 30 posts - 6,751 through 6,780 (of 12,946 total)