9-11 Pie chart…and where the hell is Mack?

Recent Forum Topics Forums The Public House 9-11 Pie chart…and where the hell is Mack?

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    wv
    Participant

Looks like most people (as of 2008) dont think Al Quaeda was behind the 9-11 attacks. 54 percent to 46 percent.

wiki:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polls_about_9/11_conspiracy_theories

After all these years, I dunno what to think about 9-11. I really dont. I dont trust the official version anymore, but i dont trust any of the alternative versions either. I ‘lean toward’ the official version but I am not totally convinced. I wish there were sources on this i could trust.

Another example of wv-ram not-knowing-somethin.

Anybody on this board a 9-11 agnostic, like me? Just curious. I know at one time Mack was, but then he moved toward the official theory. …where the hell is Mack, btw?

w
    v

wv
    Participant

From the wiki article.
    —————————————
    “In November 2007, Scripps Howard surveyed 811 Americans about their beliefs in several conspiracy theories and asked this question:[17]

How about that some people in the federal government had specific warnings of the 9/11 attacks in New York and Washington, but chose to ignore those warnings. Is this very likely, somewhat likely or unlikely?

32% “Very Likely”
    30% “Somewhat Likely”
    30% “Unlikely”
    8% “Don’t Know/Other”
    ———————————————

nittany ram

By the official version do you mean that al Qaeda carried out the attacks under the command of Osama Bin Laden?

Isn’t Bin Laden recorded on video tape talking/bragging about and admitting to the attacks?

Billy_T
    Participant

After all these years, I dunno what to think about 9-11. I really dont. I dont trust the official version anymore, but i dont trust any of the alternative versions either. I ‘lean toward’ the official version but I am not totally convinced. I wish there were sources on this i could trust.

Anybody on this board a 9-11 agnostic, like me? Just curious. I know at one time Mack was, but then he moved toward the official theory. …where the hell is Mack, btw?

w
    v

I don’t trust the official story in this sense:

It didn’t really deal with government’s failure to prevent it, or its role in indirectly provoking it.

(Blowback)

I think they got who did it right. And I’ve never believed the Alex Jones bullshit about it being a false flag. It just never made any sense that the powers that be would blow up their own key installations, especially not major seats of economic, military and political power.

Not that the government is beyond major operations to provoke wars. But if they’re gonna do them, they’re gonna make sure it’s overseas and doesn’t result in major losses to their own key assets.

Plus, it’s really not that hard to persuade enough Americans that we need yet another war. Our history shows this. Why take all of that risk, blowing up key assets at home, in the centers of power, when there are so many other ways to start a war and get a buy-in?

Matt Taibbi wrote some really excellent pieces concerning the Truthers back in the day. He dealt with much of the above.

zn

he moved toward the official theory.

What do you consider to be the “official theory”?

I mean it was an al queda operation, they even took responsibility for it.

Did the gov’t know in advance? Well as usual there’s a real story in there but it gets obscured by the gossipy conspiracy theory version. The real story is not a movie villain conspiracy type story, it’s something much less melodramatic.

Zooey

I believe the US government may have been negligent, but not actively involved.

The prime directive of the Bush admin assholes was regime change in Iraq which was supposed to debut a grand Americanization of the Middle East. We know this without doubt.

So…if the US government had a hand in this, the pilots would have been Iraqis. That just would have been very simple to do, and vastly more effective.

They weren’t. They inconveniently were mostly from countries allied with the US.

Billy_T
    Participant

The prime directive of the Bush admin assholes was regime change in Iraq which was supposed to debut a grand Americanization of the Middle East. We know this without doubt.

So…if the US government had a hand in this, the pilots would have been Iraqis. That just would have been very simple to do, and vastly more effective.

They weren’t. They inconveniently were mostly from countries allied with the US.

That’s another key, Zooey. What was it? Fifteen out of nineteen were Saudis?

There were far easier ways to ensure wet dreams for the PNAC crowd.

zn

The problem was that the new Bush administration kind of disdainfully got rid of a lot of procedures Clinton had established for intel sharing among the agencies to keep track of the possibility of a domestic attack. In this case the FBI knew some things and the CIA knew some things, and had they had regular meetings to share intel and hunt for red flags, they probably would have turned up enough to see something was brewing. The Bush administration treated those kinds of intel parleys as just part of Clinton making up domestic terror threats for political gain.

wv
    Participant

I dont believe the US government or Bush in particular planned the attack. That wouldnt make much sense to me for various reasons.

I think what bothers me most is that one tower that just crumbled the way it did. And there do seem to be plenty of sciency people who say the whole thing could not have happened by planes alone. And they say the Commission just didnt investigate lots and lots of stuff they should have.

So, as a non-science person, I’m left with…doubts. And i dont have the time/energy/skill to read every science paper on these subjects. And for every article there’s another article debunking the article. And then there’s debunkers debunking the debunkers…etc

I end up being an agnostic. Leaning toward the official version…but still with doubts and uncertainties.

I have looked for others like me on the net, but the 9-11 issue is like abortion — there is very little Non-Hostile exploration goin on out there on the InterNetz on this issue. There’s a LOT of name-calling if you dont believe in the official version and if you do believe in the official version.

w
    v

zn

I think what bothers me most is that one tower that just crumbled the way it did. And there do seem to be plenty of sciency people who say the whole thing could not have happened by planes alone. And they say the Commission just didnt investigate lots and lots of stuff they should have.

That’s the stuff I don’t buy. The science on this is pretty clear I think. Mack once played around with this approach and then dropped it because the actual science demolishes it. I don’t even see it as the “official version”–we don’t need to listen to one single government supported statement because thousands of people with the right knowledge have discussed this independently of any “officiality.” I actually just call it the non-conspiracy version.

I think there’s a “masses accepted” version of the entire story, going beyond the science, which people accept, and it has big holes in it. So for example ask the normal everyday moderately patriotic guy or gal WHY al-qaeda attacked the USA and they can’t give you a coherent answer. BUT no terrorist organization exists without stated goals, for 2 reasons: (q) they’re trying to accomplish those goals, and (2) those who join or ally with them or just back them have to be pulling for the same thing. So for example, when the IRA was setting off bombs in English pubs, you would not want one of the operatives participating in a mission like that to say “yes! at last we’re sticking it to the jewish conspiracy!” cause the rest of his IRA comrades would have to go “wait? what!? no!” So in fact al qaeda’s reasons for attacking were made directly explicit–that’s the way that kind of thing works. Yet most people cannot accurately tell you what that reason was.

wv
    Participant

<
    That’s the stuff I don’t buy. The science on this is pretty clear I think.

================

Well i used to think it was clear, but now i have doubts. There are plenty of sciency people that dont buy the official version. And i do not have the background to know. So…I have to ‘trust’…who? I dunno.

So thats where I’m at.

And Mack has gone awol.

w
    v

zn

<

================

Well i used to think it was clear, but now i have doubts. There are plenty of sciency people that dont buy the official version. And i do not have the background to know. So…I have to ‘trust’…who? I dunno.

So thats where I’m at.

And Mack has gone awol.

w
    v

What we do have is a world full of thousands of independent engineers, metallurgists, chemists, chemical engineers, and so on (how many other fields?) not just in the USA but all over the world, and they all have all the data they need to reach conclusions.

Is there a universal outcry from discipline-relevant scientists in american universities and around the world that something is fishy about the accepted story of what happened to the buildings? No.

Instead what you constantly find is things like this:

Did a European Scientific Journal Conclude 9/11 Was a Controlled Demolition?

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/journal-endorses-911-conspiracy-theory/

Viral news stories misattributed an article written by “9/11 Truth” advocates as one published in the European Scientific Journal; it was actually published in Europhysics News, which is not peer-reviewed.

nittany ram

<

================

So thats where I’m at.

And Mack has gone awol.

w
    v

What we do have is a world full of thousands of independent engineers, metallurgists, chemists, chemical engineers, and so on (how many other fields?) not just in the USA but all over the world, and they all have all the data they need to reach conclusions.

Is there a universal outcry from discipline-relevant scientists in american universities and around the world that something is fishy about the accepted story of what happened to the buildings? No.

Instead what you constantly find is things like this:

Did a European Scientific Journal Conclude 9/11 Was a Controlled Demolition?

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/journal-endorses-911-conspiracy-theory/

Viral news stories misattributed an article written by “9/11 Truth” advocates as one published in the European Scientific Journal; it was actually published in Europhysics News, which is not peer-reviewed.

A conspiracy of this magnitude would have to involve 1000s of people. It would nearly be impossible to keep it a secret for a few weeks, let alone 17 years.

Zooey

A conspiracy of this magnitude would have to involve 1000s of people. It would nearly be impossible to keep it a secret for a few weeks, let alone 17 years.

And that’s the other thing.

The planning and implementation for a false flag operation on this scale would have been vast. This isn’t just one plane that flew into the Statue of Liberty, or the Washington monument, or whatever…comparatively simple feats that would have achieved the same “excuse” for war.

Why would they increase the chances of something going wrong with the plan, and involving so many possible “leakers” in the event, when the same result could be achieved far easier, for far less cost, with much less risk?

zn

Why would they increase the chances of something going wrong with the plan, and involving so many possible “leakers” in the event, when the same result could be achieved far easier, for far less cost, with much less risk?

Yeah typical government overspending.

I agree that as long as they were going to fake an attack, why not a smaller scale, more affordable one?

wv
    Participant

Well all of that sounds perfectly reasonable, boys.

But then i watch that tower no.7 going down. It wasnt hit by a plane. And it just drops like a rock. And some sciency folks say it absolutely could not happen that way, because of fire.

So wv-ram remains in a quandary and perplexity. I’m used to it, though. I still havent figured out how the Rams let Jerome Bettis go. I mean tell me ‘that’ wasnt some sort of conspiracy.

w
    v

zn

But then i watch that tower no.7 going down. It wasnt hit by a plane. And it just drops like a rock. And some sciency folks say it absolutely could not happen that way, because of fire.

So wv-ram remains in a quandary and perplexity. I’m used to it, though. I still havent figured out how the Rams let Jerome Bettis go. I mean tell me ‘that’ wasnt some sort of conspiracy.

w
    v

Well first off all the issues with tower 7 were answered. https://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/design/a3524/4278874/

And, again, the entire world is full of skeptical by nature and by profession scientists and engineers trained to understand these things, and there’s no broad-based outcry. Or even doubts. Or even a resistant minority among them.

People who do not believe climate change is real make similar claims. They claim to have sciency sounding people on their side. But they have not convinced the vast majority of people trained in all the relevant fields that they have a case.

And they have other, similar incidents to compare it to.

Since 9/11, at least two steel-framed high-rise buildings have collapsed following blazes — the Plasco Building in Tehran, Iran on January 19, 2017, and the Wilton Paes de Almeida Building in São Paulo, Brazil, on May 1, 2018.

Tehran fire: Twenty firemen killed as high-rise collapses: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-38675628
    50 firefighters killed in Iran as burning high-rise collapses: http://www.latimes.com/world/la-fg-iran-high-rise-20170119-story.html
    Brazil fire: São Paulo building collapses in huge blaze: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-43960778
    Blazing building collapses in Sao Paulo: https://www.reuters.com/news/picture/blazing-building-collapses-in-sao-paulo-idUSRTS1PEAM

wv
    Participant

w
    v

Well first off all the issues with tower 7 were answered. https://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/design/a3524/4278874/

And, again, the entire world is full of skeptical by nature and by profession scientists and engineers trained to understand these things, and there’s no broad-based outcry. Or even doubts. Or even a resistant minority among them.

People who do not believe climate change is real make similar claims. They claim to have sciency sounding people on their side. But they have not convinced the vast majority of people trained in all the relevant fields that they have a case.

And they have other, similar incidents to compare it to.

Since 9/11, at least two steel-framed high-rise buildings have collapsed following blazes — the Plasco Building in Tehran, Iran on January 19, 2017, and the Wilton Paes de Almeida Building in São Paulo, Brazil, on May 1, 2018.

Tehran fire: Twenty firemen killed as high-rise collapses: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-38675628
    50 firefighters killed in Iran as burning high-rise collapses: http://www.latimes.com/world/la-fg-iran-high-rise-20170119-story.html
    Brazil fire: São Paulo building collapses in huge blaze: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-43960778
    Blazing building collapses in Sao Paulo: https://www.reuters.com/news/picture/blazing-building-collapses-in-sao-paulo-idUSRTS1PEAM

==========

My understanding is that study was not peer-reviewed. Yes? No?

w
    v

wv
    Participant

any comments on this? i started it at the 2:50 mark.

if you listen from the beginning though, Ray’s main point imho, is his lack of trust for official sources. Because they LIE. He says he trusted the Warren report people back during the JFK days. Now, he cant trust the way he used to.

zn

is his lack of trust for official sources.

I believe there are things we can know and nail down. We went through it ourselves years ago when we had to demonstrate in advance of the invasion of Iraq that the WMD argument was invalid. And it was.

It never gets down to simply trusting or distrusting “official sources.”

zn

My understanding is that study was not peer-reviewed. Yes? No?

w
    v

Well, I don’t know if it is or not, but I also don’t think it’s important in a discussion like this. The P/M argument holds up to me. The only time peer-reviewing came up in the discussion was when a truther account was cited as peer-reviewed when it wasn’t. That was just a case of misreporting. Pointing that out wasn’t supposed to mean all accounts had to be peer-reviewed to be considered legit.

There are other arguments against the truthers, and others are making them here, but personally I tend to identify with the idea that the scientific and engineering and architect communities worldwide don’t resist the consensus account of what happened. What skepticism there is among the trained professionals etc. tends to be isolated, same as with scientific skepticism about climate change.

Plus there’s the fact that Alex Jones is on the side of the truthers and to me that’s a bad sign.

Mackeyser

w
    v

It didn’t really deal with government’s failure to prevent it, or its role in indirectly provoking it.

(Blowback)

I think they got who did it right. And I’ve never believed the Alex Jones bullshit about it being a false flag. It just never made any sense that the powers that be would blow up their own key installations, especially not major seats of economic, military and political power.

Not that the government is beyond major operations to provoke wars. But if they’re gonna do them, they’re gonna make sure it’s overseas and doesn’t result in major losses to their own key assets.

Plus, it’s really not that hard to persuade enough Americans that we need yet another war. Our history shows this. Why take all of that risk, blowing up key assets at home, in the centers of power, when there are so many other ways to start a war and get a buy-in?

Matt Taibbi wrote some really excellent pieces concerning the Truthers back in the day. He dealt with much of the above.

I am here.

Wish I had the money because I’d buy the site and make it both mobile friendly and not take forever to load. I have FiOS running 150mbps with usually 14ms latency to anywhere in the world…and this site loads like Compuserve from the early 90s. And…mostly I’m on my phone and this site doesn’t do well on the phone, so I tend to avoid the aggravation. I love that there IS a site and love the people…but it’s kinda like not visiting friends who don’t live too far away, but the only road is completely torn up with construction so it takes forever and in my computing vehicle, it difficult to navigate.

All that said, I’m just a text away if anyone needs to reach me. I can DM anyone who is interested.

As for the 9/11 stuff, a few things.

The engineering is sound on the post mortem. NO ONE blew up any buildings with shaped charges. The buildings were brought down with fire and the unique construction of the buildings is what led to their collapse.

Al-Qaeda did it. Osama Bin Laden planned it with the express goal of catching us sleeping and then bankrupting us in fruitless overreaction. He’s basically succeeded in that. We’ve lost our way of life, our freedoms and nearly bankrupted ourselves turning our entire country into a prison state.

As for it being a government inside job. It wasn’t. That said, it’s not like that equation wouldn’t balance. It’s hard to argue with folks who assert that it was…not based on the buildings (many believe the government colluded with the Saudis), but based on what happened after. If you believe in the deep state, then NOTHING was better for the deep state than 9/11. While even the CIA and FBI had checks and balances, once basically everything got rolled into Homeland Security, those checks basically went away and any questions became “unpatriotic”… which is as fascist as it sounds. So, even though it wasn’t even close to a government job, this theory is like a puzzle piece whose shape matches perfectly…only when you look at the actual picture…you can clearly see it’s not the right piece. Many can’t get past the fact that there is more than one piece that fits very well if not perfectly.

As for peer-review, I tend to focus on the specific bits. Like the original Popular Mechanics “take” as an effort to debunk was real crap. It was the engineering team from Purdue, iirc, that properly modeled the physics of the collapsing buildings. Now, when you got the Popular Mechanics articles, it is basically a summation of the Purdue Engineering Dept findings. When I saw their paper, I INSTANTLY stopped questioning because they nailed the physics. Period, end of story. But I understood what to look for when someone was going to try and talk about the physics such as why the melting point of UL rated steel mattered and why it wasn’t a function of the melting point (which the fire even with a “flueing” effect didn’t get hot enough to melt the steel), but rather the point at which steel loses a certain percent of its tensile strength.

So maybe because I understood a) the foreign policy basis for why it was a Saudi-based terrorist org that would and did pull this off and b) the physics, that I didn’t really feel the need to read any peer-reviewed analyses.

We really have all the facts in front of us. And while people doing the analysis is crucially important, unlike in some instances like Lockerbie or Flight MH17 that crashed in Ukraine and was shot down by a Russian missile, we don’t really need it for now, but posterity.

For Lockerbie and MH17, we need these analyses because there are crucial pieces which had to be interpreted by experts coupled with the fact that the public doesn’t have access to all the pertinent facts.

Also, I love you guys bunches and I’ll make a greater effort now that I’m back on my ‘puter to jump in.

Sports is the crucible of human virtue. The distillate remains are human vice.

zn

I understood what to look for when someone was going to try and talk about the physics such as why the melting point of UL rated steel mattered and why it wasn’t a function of the melting point (which the fire even with a “flueing” effect didn’t get hot enough to melt the steel), but rather the point at which steel loses a certain percent of its tensile strength.

wv
    Participant

w
    v

(Blowback)

I am here.

Wish I had the money because I’d buy the site and make it both mobile friendly and not take forever to load. I have FiOS running 150mbps with usually 14ms latency to anywhere in the world…and this site loads like Compuserve from the early 90s. And…mostly I’m on my phone and this site doesn’t do well on the phone, so I tend to avoid the aggravation. I love that there IS a site and love the people…but it’s kinda like not visiting friends who don’t live too far away, but the only road is completely torn up with construction so it takes forever and in my computing vehicle, it difficult to navigate.

All that said, I’m just a text away if anyone needs to reach me. I can DM anyone who is interested.

As for the 9/11 stuff, a few things.

The engineering is sound on the post mortem. NO ONE blew up any buildings with shaped charges. The buildings were brought down with fire and the unique construction of the buildings is what led to their collapse.

Al-Qaeda did it. Osama Bin Laden planned it with the express goal of catching us sleeping and then bankrupting us in fruitless overreaction. He’s basically succeeded in that. We’ve lost our way of life, our freedoms and nearly bankrupted ourselves turning our entire country into a prison state.

As for it being a government inside job. It wasn’t. That said, it’s not like that equation wouldn’t balance. It’s hard to argue with folks who assert that it was…not based on the buildings (many believe the government colluded with the Saudis), but based on what happened after. If you believe in the deep state, then NOTHING was better for the deep state than 9/11. While even the CIA and FBI had checks and balances, once basically everything got rolled into Homeland Security, those checks basically went away and any questions became “unpatriotic”… which is as fascist as it sounds. So, even though it wasn’t even close to a government job, this theory is like a puzzle piece whose shape matches perfectly…only when you look at the actual picture…you can clearly see it’s not the right piece. Many can’t get past the fact that there is more than one piece that fits very well if not perfectly.

As for peer-review, I tend to focus on the specific bits. Like the original Popular Mechanics “take” as an effort to debunk was real crap. It was the engineering team from Purdue, iirc, that properly modeled the physics of the collapsing buildings. Now, when you got the Popular Mechanics articles, it is basically a summation of the Purdue Engineering Dept findings. When I saw their paper, I INSTANTLY stopped questioning because they nailed the physics. Period, end of story. But I understood what to look for when someone was going to try and talk about the physics such as why the melting point of UL rated steel mattered and why it wasn’t a function of the melting point (which the fire even with a “flueing” effect didn’t get hot enough to melt the steel), but rather the point at which steel loses a certain percent of its tensile strength.

So maybe because I understood a) the foreign policy basis for why it was a Saudi-based terrorist org that would and did pull this off and b) the physics, that I didn’t really feel the need to read any peer-reviewed analyses.

We really have all the facts in front of us. And while people doing the analysis is crucially important, unlike in some instances like Lockerbie or Flight MH17 that crashed in Ukraine and was shot down by a Russian missile, we don’t really need it for now, but posterity.

For Lockerbie and MH17, we need these analyses because there are crucial pieces which had to be interpreted by experts coupled with the fact that the public doesn’t have access to all the pertinent facts.

Also, I love you guys bunches and I’ll make a greater effort now that I’m back on my ‘puter to jump in.

======================

Well, I still…dunno, Mack. I mean…YOU could be working for the Lizard-people.

You could even be a lizard LORD.

Btw, what do you think of my point that the Debunkers are mean to the conspiracy-folks ? I dont see much respect shown on any of the internet sites. I dont think its helpful to insult the skeptics.

w
    v

zn

I still havent figured out how the Rams let Jerome Bettis go. I mean tell me ‘that’ wasnt some sort of conspiracy.

w
    v

Yeah there’s a whole long string of things like that. Dickerson. Bettis. Warner. Tavon.

And when have the Rams ever traded FOR anyone? Yeah sure there’s Everett, Faulk, Williams, Goff, Talib, Peters, Cooks…but other than that?

Zooey

I’m interested. I was actually getting a bit worried since you had been gone so long, and you have health issues. But I don’t think this board can provide DMs any longer. My email is zooey_d@hotmail.

I also wish this board worked better on phones.

Mackeyser

Well, WV, last time I was called a Lizard Lord was a really weird weekend in Vegas.

But it was honorary, was only for the weekend and I wasn’t really allowed to BE a Lizard Lord.

And Zooey, I’ll email you today with contact info.

I’m at mackeyser@mac.com

I know, super original…

Sports is the crucible of human virtue. The distillate remains are human vice.

wv
    Participant

Well, WV, last time I was called a Lizard Lord was a really weird weekend in Vegas.

But it was honorary, was only for the weekend and I wasn’t really allowed to BE a Lizard Lord.

And Zooey, I’ll email you today with contact info.

I’m at mackeyser@mac.com

I know, super original…

=====================

Mack did you complete you move into Viking country?

Whats it like going from Florida to the great North?

w
    v

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.