Forum Replies Created

Viewing 30 posts - 3,121 through 3,150 (of 4,331 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Robert Reich: The Democratic Party Needs To Clean House #58004
    Avatar photoBilly_T
    Participant

    In short: It’s like if people revolted over the destruction of their local water system, disgusted by their elected officials who let this happen. All kinds of great analyses come out, breaking down exactly what went wrong and who’s to blame.

    And in response to all of this great analysis, and that anger, the people decide to go with this huge international corporation, with a history of ripping off municipalities, stealing their water, bottling it up and selling it off across the world. They choose an even greater threat to their water system, instead of someone or some group with a history of actually fighting for clean, sustainable, safe water systems wherever and whenever they’ve been tasked with this.

    in reply to: Robert Reich: The Democratic Party Needs To Clean House #58003
    Avatar photoBilly_T
    Participant

    And while it looks like the board basically ignored this article, I think it really, really needs to be read. It’s stunning how little attention this has gotten from the media, IMO:

    Trump’s conflicts of interest take White House into uncharted territory With his children, and not a blind trust, running his company, little prevents the president-elect’s political and business careers from bleeding into each other

    The above isn’t some left-wing fabrication. No one in the Trump camp is denying any of this. In fact, Trump proudly told his own rallies that his kids would run his businesses while he’s prez, and he would break with more than a century of precedent by refusing to put all of that in a blind trust.

    Seriously. Think about the massive number of likely conflicts of interest regarding his holdings — and they’re all over the world. Actions he and the GOP take or don’t take will have direct impact on his wealth, and he’s going to know all about that on a day to day basis.

    The fight over the Dakota Pipeline? Trump has large holdings in that company. People don’t think that’s going to impact his decision to go forward or side with the Native American population there?

    I’ve got some great beachfront property in Afghanistan for ya if you don’t think that will matter.

    in reply to: Robert Reich: The Democratic Party Needs To Clean House #58001
    Avatar photoBilly_T
    Participant

    Neither threaten the power structures and both will/would increase inequality
    and enrich the banks and corporations.

    I know you disagree. We shall see in the next four years.

    I don’t know that I do disagree with that. I never called him a unifier.
    I’m leaving that open, because I can’t presume to know how this will turn out.
    He’s already getting a little wishy-washy early on. But yeah. We’ll see.

    But we already know how the GOP does things. We already know their desires to slash taxes for the rich and deregulate the financial sector even more. Trump agrees. We already know that his tax plan would add tens of millions to his own bottom line each year, and potentially hundreds of millions for his kids, when he gets rid of the estate tax.

    We know all of that already.

    If Trump really were the answer for the working class, why on earth would he promise to end an estate tax — a favorite plan of the GOP too — that doesn’t apply to anyone in the bottom 99.8% of the country? Why would he call for slashing taxes on millionaires and billionaires like himself? That’s not going to help one single solitary working class bloke, and the lost revenue will force the rest of us to pick up the slack.

    When the plutocrats skate on their taxes, that means the rest of us pay more — and/or have our benefits slashed.

    Reich’s analysis of the Dems is spot on. He’s probably even guilty of being too soft on them in a lot of ways. But the crazy thing about this election is that Trump and the GOP are the last folks on earth we should count on to help the working and middle class — much less the poor. They’ve never shown the slightest interest in anyone but plutocrats and oligarchs. Let’s not kid ourselves that it’s just the Dems who are in their thrall.

    • This reply was modified 9 years, 11 months ago by Avatar photoBilly_T.
    in reply to: Bernie on the Election #57978
    Avatar photoBilly_T
    Participant

    Hitler on the Election

    Is there one in which Hitler is happy Trump won? Cuz, um, that would make a hell of a lot more sense, given his strong alt-right, Neo-Nazi, White Nationalist and KKK support — not to mention his extremely low totals when it comes to black and brown voters.

    in reply to: Spoiled Americans want to flee what they created #57975
    Avatar photoBilly_T
    Participant

    OK, I’m cutting back in to make one last comment.

    I know the GOP increased the use of fillibusters. I knew that when I posted my link. I believe that to be the result of a president who tried to force things through rather than negotiate. He is the one who said “elections have consequences.” That should be a red flag for any party to hear. I want to see a President who will take the time to discuss with the other side and find ways to compromise.

    ————-

    Well you are coming at that from a point of view on the ‘right’. You know how us leftists see it? — Obama didnt fight hard enough for ANYTHING. He was MR COMPROMISE. Or actually MR THROW IN THE TOWEL WITHOUT FIGHTING FOR ANYTHING. Honestly thats how leftists view him.

    So, different ‘truths’ based on where we stand politically.

    Different views.

    w
    v

    ___________________________________________________

    So, you’re saying it’s ok for the “right” to compromise, but not the “left?”

    See, I don’t see compromise as “throwing in the towel.” I see it as negotiation. Both sides get something out of it they can both feel good about (again, remember I know there are more than 2 sides to politics, but bear with me please). Just pushing and ramming through things all the time is tiring and creates friction before the next fight even begins. IMO, this is where Obama failed as a President.

    I know extreme rightists will be disappointed in Trump and probably say the same thing about him, that he will “give in” too quickly and not fight. Just watch.

    To me, the part in bold is key. There just isn’t any evidence that Obama and the Dems did this. IMO, that false perception was created by right-wing media and it just doesn’t reflect reality. The reality is, again, Obama and the Dems tried waaaay too hard to negotiate and compromise. In fact, they seemed to pre-negotiate with themselves before they ever entered the breach. This was especially true with the ACA, when they took Single Payer off the table beforehand, and then the Public Option.

    They started the process with the GOP after they had already caved on everything the left wanted. They built upon Romneycare and the Heritage Foundation ideas and added 150 GOP amendments after that. And the Republicans still said no.

    I despise both parties and I have never been and could never be a Democratic Party member. But I think it’s more than clear who plays hardball and who would rather hold hands across the water. Perhaps that’s all Kabuki, and I suspect a lot of it is. But that’s basically how the duopoly works right now.

    in reply to: Spoiled Americans want to flee what they created #57970
    Avatar photoBilly_T
    Participant

    OK, I’m cutting back in to make one last comment.

    I know the GOP increased the use of fillibusters. I knew that when I posted my link. I believe that to be the result of a president who tried to force things through rather than negotiate. He is the one who said “elections have consequences.” That should be a red flag for any party to hear. I want to see a President who will take the time to discuss with the other side and find ways to compromise

    ————-

    Well you are coming at that from a point of view on the ‘right’. You know how us leftists see it? — Obama didnt fight hard enough for ANYTHING. He was MR COMPROMISE. Or actually MR THROW IN THE TOWEL WITHOUT FIGHTING FOR ANYTHING. Honestly thats how leftists view him.

    So, different ‘truths’ based on where we stand politically.

    Different views.

    I will not try to change your mind though. I’ll not hammer you with a gazillion reasons why you are ‘wrong’ and why you should change your mind, etc. THAT is where political boards always simmer and boil over.

    We all gotta stop trying to prove the other person WRONG about stuff. Just share
    yer view, listen to the opposing views, and acknowledge the difference and…..next topic.

    w
    v

    Yep. That’s how we see Obama and the Dems.

    in reply to: Spoiled Americans want to flee what they created #57969
    Avatar photoBilly_T
    Participant

    Obama also held a summit on the deficit in the middle of a recession. A major concession to the Republicans, and incredibly stupid to boot. In the capitalist system, it’s economic suicide to cut spending and try to reduce deficits in the middle of a recession.

    He also reupped Bush’s tax cuts twice
    Kept his defense secretary
    Rehired his Fed chairman
    Kept his wars going and expanded them
    Kept his GWOT going and expanded it
    Radically increase his drone program
    Continued his Wall Street bailouts, TARP and TALF, etc.
    Never once suggested we should roll back Bush’s surveillance state measures
    Added to them
    Offered Boehner the “Grand Bargain,” which included slashing Medicare and Social Security, something that would have been unthinkable for a Democratic president a few years before that

    The above is just for starters.

    Obama’s record is “conservative” in every way except for a few culture war issues and the DREAMers act. Maybe a coupla “green” items. But on balance, Republicans should have seen Obama and the Dems’ governance and danced in the street, day after day. Because far from getting some “far left radical,” bent on “transforming America,” they actually got a old-style, moderate Republican with the D on his sleeve. And Obama worked hard to maintain the status quo ante he received from his predecessor.

    in reply to: Spoiled Americans want to flee what they created #57966
    Avatar photoBilly_T
    Participant

    OK, I’m cutting back in to make one last comment.

    I know the GOP increased the use of fillibusters. I knew that when I posted my link. I believe that to be the result of a president who tried to force things through rather than negotiate. He is the one who said “elections have consequences.” That should be a red flag for any party to hear. I want to see a President who will take the time to discuss with the other side and find ways to compromise. That’s the way things get done. I believe we are seeing Trump begin to do that. Maybe I’ll be proven wrong, but I doubt it. I’m ok with the fact that the GOP won’t get everything they want. And the left should feel the same.

    And I’m sure there are over 300 million ways in this country to take positions on an issue. Somehow, over our history, this has boiled down to 2 major parties instead of the 3,4,5 or whatever numbers of positions there are. It works as a 2 “position” platform for the most part, with each party having its disagreements within their ranks. But it still works as a big awkward 2 party system. So, while I respect the opinions of everyone here and their multiple sides, 2 parties is what is largely seen in public and I’ll use terminology that fits as best it can within that, hoping people realize I know there are a multitude of opinions and positions.

    I am not going to be a guy who takes his ball and bat and goes home whining. Please don’t think that of me. But I want to see discussions that recognize none of us are perfect, no party or position is perfect, and we live with flaws. I can respect the positions of others here, while disagreeing. But let’s not use “they always, or never” and terminology like that, please. If there are multitudes of positions, please recognize that in “the other side” as well. I tend to vote GOP, but believe me, there are things that frighten me about doing so. I just hope and pray that the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness can continue for years to come.

    NMR,

    On that part in bold. If that harmless little statement caused problems among the GOP — and I don’t for a second believe it did — then the people who did react to it are incredibly sensitive and need to buck up. It’s also a statement I’ve heard come out of the mouths of presidents and congressional leaders after every election in my lifetime. It’s standard fare. Nothing more. Both parties always say that.

    And, again, Obama did take the time to discuss the issues with the GOP. He continuously reached across the aisle and had his hand slapped down. As ZN said, I’m highly critical of this, that the Dems do this all the time, that they go fetal, spineless, cave in. It pisses me off. But, from everything I witnessed and read about, following politics far too closely for my own health, I have never in my life seen a president more willing to work with the other side — to a fault. This is all the more stunning given the way his overtures were met.

    Take the ACA. The Dems and Obama set up endless meetings between the two parties, industry, etc. etc. including the Gang of Six — basically three conservadems and three republicans. They hashed things out for nearly two years. The Dems agreed to more than 150 GOP amendments in hopes of getting them on board, and they began the entire thing with the Heritage Foundation and Romneycare as its basis. It started on the Republican side and they still added 150 GOP amendments. Did the Dems receive a single GOP vote after all of that?

    Um, nope.

    This happened with the Stimulus too. Major concessions toward the Republicans, including tax cuts that made up nearly a third of the Stimulus. That wasn’t good enough either.

    (more below, to split this up a bit).

    in reply to: Spoiled Americans want to flee what they created #57949
    Avatar photoBilly_T
    Participant

    I’m sorry Billy. Those comments are in the extreme. So the GOP “always” does the wrong and the left/Dems/whatever term you want “always” is correct and fair. Now you’re trying to change how to use the votes that were cast. Disagreement is fine, but villifying the other side with extremes just doesn’t sit with me.

    Here’s the facts on fillibusters. Looks like the Dems have had more than their share of them:
    Fillibusters

    There it is. Obstructionism goes both ways.

    So, I’m done with this. I’ll comment on your future posts if it appears you are using terms that are inclusive in arguement, but as it is, this feels like the “old board” to me. And I had enough of that to last me for a very long time.

    Nothing extreme in anything I said, NMR. I just stated objective fact. And no way did I say or suggest that the Dems were always correct or fair. Far, far from it. I despise both parties, remember? And you must have skipped over the part where I criticized the Dems and Obama, which was each time I said they were far too willing to compromise and negotiate.

    As for filibusters. Yes, the GOP broke all records since Obama took office. The two parties haven’t been close to equal in their usage of that tool. Not at all close.

    (your own link shows that, btw. But I’ll provide another.)

    3 Charts Explain Why Democrats Went Nuclear on the Filibuster

    Avatar photoBilly_T
    Participant

    And just think about this for a moment:

    Then there is the matter of the president-elect’s stock portfolio. Trump has holdings in Dakota Access pipeline company Energy Transfer Partners. In his first 100 days, Trump has pledged to remove every impediment to the pipeline, which has been the subject of protests violently suppressed by police in North Dakota. He also owns stock in Facebook, whose CEO Mark Zuckerberg posted that he was “feeling hopeful” on Wednesday, and in Bank of America – he has promised to deregulate the banking industry.

    Trump will personally benefit from removing those impediments to the pipeline. He’ll get richer, personally. Same with his other large holdings and stocks, when he launches his massive deregulation plans and slashes his own taxes and those for business.

    How on earth is that not “crony capitalism” in the most direct manner we’ve ever seen? He’s not just going to be making other fat cats even fatter. He’s going to radically increase his own wealth via his actions as president — immediately. And by slashing the estate tax, which ONLY impact the richest 00.2% of Americans, he hands his children potentially hundreds of millions of dollars. And that will have to be made up by the working class.

    It’s one of the biggest cons in our history, and we’ve had waaay too many of them.

    in reply to: Spoiled Americans want to flee what they created #57938
    Avatar photoBilly_T
    Participant

    Personally, I don’t see what the angst is all about. Don’t people realize that the GOP doesn’t have 60 votes in the Senate, like Obama had for 2 years? That means there will need to be major compromise and negotiation like we haven’t seen in many a year.
    I doubt Trump uses executive orders to push his way through. Not like Obama did, anyways. He’s a populist not an idealist conservative.
    I believe negotiation will now find its way back into our federal system.

    Obama went the executive order route less often than Dubya, Clinton, Reagan and every president going back to Benjamin Harrison. And Trump has promised to overturn all of them — at least until he met with Obama and changed his mind about some of them. But we’ll see. Overturning them is also using the power of executive orders.

    http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/data/orders.php

    As far as the lack of negotiation and compromise? That’s virtually entirely on the GOP, whose leaders said on Obama’s inauguration day that they would block everything he tried to do, and they were able to for the most part.

    The Dems, in stark contrast to the GOP, are all too willing to compromise and negotiate. That’s one of their biggest faults as a party. Rolling over and playing dead for the other side of the aisle, caving in, basically always starting the negotiation process within the frame the other side creates. Drives me up a wall.

    ___________________________________________________

    That’s not the history I’m looking at. Many times Obama blasted the GOP to get on his side before Congress even debated an issue. And Harry Reid did the same in the Senate. Did the GOP try to block things? Of course. Will the Dems try to block things now? Of course. But look at the tone the last 24 hours where there are reports that Trump is changing his tune some on major issues. It may make many in his camp angry, but it does show me that there is a willingness to negotiate. That’s important going forward.

    I thought you agreed in another thread to look at the other’s POV?

    NMR,

    I read your point of view, considered it carefully, and I disagree. That’s all. And I said why. There is no evidence that Obama or the Dems were unwilling to compromise or negotiate. Again, IMO, they’re guilty of being all too willing to do that. And no American president in my lifetime has tried as hard as Obama to reach across the aisle. Again, he did this to a fault. It’s one of the worst things about the way he governed, IMO.

    And the GOP didn’t just try to block things. They took unprecedented steps to do so, and broke every record for filibusters and holds in American history. The Dems don’t come within light years of the recent GOP for that. Think about it, NMR. The GOP refused to even allow hearings to replace Scalia! That’s never been done.

    And to make it worse, they said “Let the people decide,” as if they hadn’t already. Obama was elected twice and his term runs four years, not three. And when Republicans thought Hillary was going to win, they changed their mind again about “let the people decide” and said they would block ALL of her nominees for SCOTUS.

    Now we get, “The people have spoken,” cuz Trump won the Electoral College. Apparently, that only counts when a Republican is elected. If it’s a Democrat, it’s “We’re going to block everything they do,” despite the people’s vote.

    in reply to: Spoiled Americans want to flee what they created #57931
    Avatar photoBilly_T
    Participant

    Personally, I don’t see what the angst is all about. Don’t people realize that the GOP doesn’t have 60 votes in the Senate, like Obama had for 2 years? That means there will need to be major compromise and negotiation like we haven’t seen in many a year.
    I doubt Trump uses executive orders to push his way through. Not like Obama did, anyways. He’s a populist not an idealist conservative.
    I believe negotiation will now find its way back into our federal system.

    Obama went the executive order route less often than Dubya, Clinton, Reagan and every president going back to Benjamin Harrison. And Trump has promised to overturn all of them — at least until he met with Obama and changed his mind about some of them. But we’ll see. Overturning them is also using the power of executive orders.

    http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/data/orders.php

    As far as the lack of negotiation and compromise? That’s virtually entirely on the GOP, whose leaders said on Obama’s inauguration day that they would block everything he tried to do, and they were able to for the most part.

    The Dems, in stark contrast to the GOP, are all too willing to compromise and negotiate. That’s one of their biggest faults as a party. Rolling over and playing dead for the other side of the aisle, caving in, basically always starting the negotiation process within the frame the other side creates. Drives me up a wall.

    in reply to: Draining the Swamp #57928
    Avatar photoBilly_T
    Participant

    I find myself reading this with a smile as I think back to Bernie.

    Like him or hate him, does anyone believe that he would have had someone like Jamie Dimon on his short list for Treasury Secretary?

    He was the most genuine candidate in my lifetime. I appreciate him more every day.

    Agreed. And I still think he didn’t want to go far enough. But relative to everyone else in the duopoly? Yeah. Head and shoulders better. Definitely genuine and I think he would have crushed Trump.

    in reply to: Draining the Swamp #57926
    Avatar photoBilly_T
    Participant

    And that’s the very definition of hypocrisy. It’s rank, slam dunk, obvious hypocrisy of the worst kind.

    You mean Trump’s hypocrisy, right?

    Yes. Absolutely.

    in reply to: Draining the Swamp #57925
    Avatar photoBilly_T
    Participant

    He needs people that can navigate the DC swamp. Lets see his policy initiatives in play before condemning him.

    I think, in politics, you ARE the company you keep. If you think he is going to surround himself with Washington Insiders, seek their advice, and then pursue policies counter to what they advise, you are out of your mind. And you only have to look at these people’s history to know what advice they are giving him.

    Same thing with Obama. Remember? He said, “Change. Change. Change,” and then appointed cabinet members from entrenched interests, and we got “Same. Same. Same.”

    Agreed, Zooey. When Obama named his economic team, especially. All from the Rubin tree. Brought in all kinds of Clintonistas — neoliberals up the ying yang. And basically that was that. Went about as far away from his campaign rhetoric as one could go. Which is all the more reason why the right’s endless screaming about him being a Maoist, Stalinist, “far left radical” was all the more absurd.

    He governed as an actual conservative, if we’re talking about that word historically. A few culture war issues being the exception, and maybe an environmental rule or two. But even there, he never, ever, not once, did anything “far left.” No American president ever has.

    in reply to: Anti-Trump protests ARE peaceful and organic. #57921
    Avatar photoBilly_T
    Participant

    It’s a fun game. But I haven’t been in a long time. Used to be halfway decent at it, but never got to the point where I bought my own gear. I think I broke 200 once or twice and dated a girl back in the day who could do that regularly. She was my beautiful “Jersey Girl,” and I was damn proud of her and just being with her knocked me for a loop. She was so cool and gorgeous I really didn’t care that she kicked my butt in bowling.

    [Video omitted from the quote because … no.]

    That’s a cool story. I had a girl like that once, and also from Jersey. Old Bridge, to be exact. Her cousin was my best friend in Florida and she used to come down to visit them and we hooked up. Absolutely the most gorgeous girl I had ever seen in my life. To the point that her other cousin used to get caught ogling her. lol. So I went up to NJ every few months (I was 18/19 at the time), and she would come back down every few months until it became obvious that a long distance relationship between teenagers was what it was. We just ended up meeting other people who were more readily available, but I still think about her from time to time, some 32 years later. I wouldn’t wanna run into her now either. I’d rather remember her as the super fine 19 year old black-belt [think: flexibility] that she was.

    Wow, X. Your Jersey girl story isn’t that far away from mine. Long-distance, very young lovers stuff too. Mine lasted about 2.5 years, and it was like a drug for me. Just thinking about driving north on I95 made me crazy. I had it that bad for her.

    It was returned for most of that time, until it wasn’t. And her parents loved me too. Basically all but said they wanted me to be their son-in-law. Looking back on that aspect now, I think their expression of this was the beginning of the end for us. To her, at first, I was this cool, long-haired rebel without a cause, and no way did she want her parents to “approve.” I had won her heart with poetry and my amazing charm and charisma!!! — ;>) — but she was hot-blooded (Puerto Rican and Italian), and didn’t really like the idea of her folks liking her beau.

    I get nostalgic for her when I hear Bruce sing Tom Wait’s song. Those were the days!

    in reply to: Anti-Trump protests ARE peaceful and organic. #57916
    Avatar photoBilly_T
    Participant

    Not Mao. Mao suits. It was a joke. However I did try my best to accurately give your view as told to me repeatedly in the past.

    Okay. So it was a joke. And you got some of the basics down, yeah. But you added an intro that wasn’t accurate. Chicken little, etc. So I give you a five score out of a possible ten.

    ;>)

    in reply to: Spoiled Americans want to flee what they created #57913
    Avatar photoBilly_T
    Participant

    That’s cool. I do love good food. And my long-time dream was to have a thousand acres of my own, grow all of my own food, have a coupla lakes and streams for fish and fowl, maybe breed rabbits too as a meat substitute. I’d have giant greenhouses as well, fill them up with every exotic fruit, plant and herb. Would do my best to make sure I never had to go to a grocery store for anything. Everything home grown and fresher than fresh.

    Also dreamed of having work shops for wood and metal. Make my own tools and musical instruments. The whole 19th century deal.

    Simplify, get back to the earth, get back to basics. End my dependence on corporations, etc. etc.

    Well that sounds awesome. I had a similar dream for a while, but not about the non-meat rabbits. *razz

    We did pick up 5 acres in Western NC with a steam in the back in a town that is almost entirely chain free with the exception of two lower-end grocery stores and a gas station. Lots of small independent shops, health food stores, soap and candle makers, an actual cobbler, a taco truck, and within 5 miles of a farmers market. We eat a lot of Quorn products too as a real meat substitute. If you haven’t tried it, I recommend it. Especially the Quorn burgers. Almost identical in taste to a real hamburger with the right seasonings and cooking temp. [review here]

    That sounds great. I wish we could go back to our pre-capitalist past in America. Capitalism wasn’t dominant here until after the Civil War. Prior to that, most people worked for themselves, were their own bosses, had small farms, were artisans, craftsmen, etc. etc. Capitalism crushed the life out of that and forced people to go to work for others instead. Made them dependent on “suits” hundreds or thousands of miles away. I despise our current economic model and see it as obscenely immoral — just in case you haven’t gathered that by now.

    ;>)

    Also: I got my second undergrad degree in Boone. Went back there last year, though, and it’s grown waaay too fast and is hopelessly congested now. It’s supposed to be a “small town” but it’s starting to feel like a mini-city instead, and there’s just no room there for that. I don’t like the change.

    in reply to: Draining the Swamp #57912
    Avatar photoBilly_T
    Participant

    He needs people that can navigate the DC swamp. Lets see his policy initiatives in play before condemning him.

    That’s excusing and rationalizing everything he and his supporters condemned during the election. Now that he’s in, it’s apparently okay to be everything they condemned in their opponents. That’s excusing “crony capitalism” and “pay to play” now because it’s Trump and Republicans doing it.

    And that’s the very definition of hypocrisy. It’s rank, slam dunk, obvious hypocrisy of the worst kind.

    No it isn’t and you are jumping the gun.

    bnw, this one is soooo obvious, I thought surely you’d see it too. It’s not debatable. There is no way to spin this. Just look at the people Trump has around him. They’re all long-time, crony-capitalist, DC insiders. And he’s already tapping Wall Streeters for key economic posts, and K-Street is psyched. Jamie Dimon for Treasury is a real possibility, for example.

    He conned his voters, bnw. He conned them, and we saw that long ago, but his voters didn’t. They refused to see the snake right under their noses and he’s biting them now.

    in reply to: Draining the Swamp #57907
    Avatar photoBilly_T
    Participant

    He needs people that can navigate the DC swamp. Lets see his policy initiatives in play before condemning him.

    That’s excusing and rationalizing everything he and his supporters condemned during the election. Now that he’s in, it’s apparently okay to be everything they condemned in their opponents. That’s excusing “crony capitalism” and “pay to play” now because it’s Trump and Republicans doing it.

    And that’s the very definition of hypocrisy. It’s rank, slam dunk, obvious hypocrisy of the worst kind.

    • This reply was modified 9 years, 11 months ago by Avatar photoBilly_T.
    in reply to: Spoiled Americans want to flee what they created #57905
    Avatar photoBilly_T
    Participant

    Is that a balsamic reduction on those pancakes?
    Because that just sounds awful.

    Mrs. X and I are foodies. But not the shitty, ‘post immediately to Yelp as if I review Michelin Star restaurants for a living’ type foodies. We just like to try different stuff from all of the up and coming chefs and new restaurants/diners/dives in the area. We had Tapas the other day at Zambra, and it was really good. Expensive, but really good. http://zambratapas.com/cuisine/

    That’s cool. I do love good food. And my long-time dream was to have a thousand acres of my own, grow all of my own food, have a coupla lakes and streams for fish and fowl, maybe breed rabbits too as a meat substitute. I’d have giant greenhouses as well, fill them up with every exotic fruit, plant and herb. Would do my best to make sure I never had to go to a grocery store for anything. Everything home grown and fresher than fresh.

    Also dreamed of having work shops for wood and metal. Make my own tools and musical instruments. The whole 19th century deal.

    Simplify, get back to the earth, get back to basics. End my dependence on corporations, etc. etc.

    in reply to: Please, for the love of God #57902
    Avatar photoBilly_T
    Participant

    Yep

    And we may start on a wall but perhaps not right away and maybe not get too much of it done and perhaps Mexico won’t to pay for it. And maybe there are parts of Obama care that are decent so we should revise it instead of throw it out right away. And Hillary is a good person who should be thanked so they’re probably will not be an indictment. And, and, and.

    It is not unusual for an incoming president to not push with fervor and also to face some realities, which they most likely knew ahead of time, on what could be enacted and not be able to push some (or more than some) of the agenda they promised.

    It is unusual for the promises to be so angry and full of vitriol and the backing away to happen this quickly.

    I wonder if we will ever see his tax returns…

    The WaPo has an article about that today:

    Trump and advisers hedge on major pledges, including Obamacare and the wall

    in reply to: Anti-Trump protests ARE peaceful and organic. #57898
    Avatar photoBilly_T
    Participant

    Fuck it, let’s go bowling.

    188 average.
    Though, that fluctuates higher and lower depending on my BAC.
    I’ve found that a .102 BAC is the sweet spot.

    It’s a fun game. But I haven’t been in a long time. Used to be halfway decent at it, but never got to the point where I bought my own gear. I think I broke 200 once or twice and dated a girl back in the day who could do that regularly. She was my beautiful “Jersey Girl,” and I was damn proud of her and just being with her knocked me for a loop. She was so cool and gorgeous I really didn’t care that she kicked my butt in bowling.

    in reply to: Spoiled Americans want to flee what they created #57895
    Avatar photoBilly_T
    Participant

    Is that a balsamic reduction on those pancakes?
    Because that just sounds awful.

    I don’t even know. I’m not a “foodie.” But I did stay at Holiday Inn Express once.

    in reply to: Please, for the love of God #57893
    Avatar photoBilly_T
    Participant

    Take away Trump’s twitter. If he’s truly interested in bringing people together, then just stop tweeting. Doesn’t matter what he’s talking about at any given moment, because his feed is just a breeding ground for contemptuous arguments. And not even good arguments, really, because how much can you say in 144 characters? “FU LEFT DEAL W/IT HE’S POTUS U SUCK #BLOWME #GOCRY #SAFESPACE” I mean, truly idiotic shit can be found in the comments after his tweets, and that’s attached to him now. I heard early on that they were going to get rid of it, but he’s still at it. Not doing anything wrong. Just tweeting. But if you take the time to read the literally hundreds of comments that have nothing to do with anything he said, right after he tweets, you have to come to the conclusion that it’s counterproductive to even be on social media anymore. You used it to get elected, it was a good tool, now get the fuck off of it and go to work.

    I agree with you about twitter.

    Interesting thing in recent days: Trump is now saying really nice things about Obama and Clinton — Bill and Hillary. Very complimentary about both of them. It’s as if he really didn’t mean all the nasty things he said, whipping his fans into a frenzy of hatred toward them, all to get elected.

    The subtext seems clearly to be:

    “I didn’t mean any of that. It was all for show. It’s just politics.”

    in reply to: Anti-Trump protests ARE peaceful and organic. #57889
    Avatar photoBilly_T
    Participant

    You obviously don’t know me well, cuz I’ve been expressing my views on a wide range of subjects, online and off, for decades.

    Well, yeah. Of course I don’t know you well. We’ve been exposed to each other’s views for what … 4 days?

    Billy is the communist Chicken Little of american politics. The sky is always falling because continental capitalism through corporatism (see wv I listen) control of our government plays the workers against each other for the benefit of the greedy 1%. Billy wants a localized communal based economy in which people work and contribute as much as they want with no one being in control or getting rich. Mao suits optional.

    bnw,

    Thanks for getting into the spirit of things here. Well done.

    And, Mao? Really? Come on, man. We’re opposites. My vision is fundamentally anti-authoritarian, left-anarchist, libertarian socialist, and my personal philosophy scores out at the bottom of Adorno’s F-Scale on that issue — updated over at political compass.

    But you’re gonna believe what you’re going to believe, so whatev.

    in reply to: Anti-Trump protests ARE peaceful and organic. #57887
    Avatar photoBilly_T
    Participant

    no worries. I fully intend to rein myself in.

    No what I meant was, I need your help keeping X in check.

    I’ll try to rein it in a little out of respect for your rules.

    No what I meant was, I need your help keeping BT in check.

    I am a reformed basher myself

    No what I meant was, I need your help keeping zn in check.

    ..

    ZN, please don’t go all meta on us again. Last time you did that, this happened:

    in reply to: Anti-Trump protests ARE peaceful and organic. #57883
    Avatar photoBilly_T
    Participant

    Btw, X,

    Can you re-post the link to that becoming a minister for the Dude thing?

    Maybe a bunch of us can get together someday and watch The Big Lebowski. Perhaps after watching the Rams trounce the Niners.

    ;>)

    Ha. I would love that.

    Get Ordained Free as a Dudeist Minister

    And after I read your book, you have to read ‘The Tao of the Dude’. lol

    The Tao of the Dude

    Thanks, X.

    I’ll definitely pick up that book. Looks good.

    Oh, and, one more thing:

    Fuck it, let’s go bowling.

    in reply to: Spoiled Americans want to flee what they created #57881
    Avatar photoBilly_T
    Participant

    The pancakes, of course, are inside everyone’s home who lives beneath the rainbows beside the flowers.

    Or, as Carlos Williams Carlos once wrote:

    so much depends
    upon

    a red pan
    cake

    glazed with rain
    water

    beside the white
    flowers.

    in reply to: Anti-Trump protests ARE peaceful and organic. #57879
    Avatar photoBilly_T
    Participant

    Btw, X,

    Can you re-post the link to that becoming a minister for the Dude thing?

    Maybe a bunch of us can get together someday and watch The Big Lebowski. Perhaps after watching the Rams trounce the Niners.

    ;>)

Viewing 30 posts - 3,121 through 3,150 (of 4,331 total)