4-7 year vets

Recent Forum Topics › Forums › The Rams Huddle › 4-7 year vets

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #13902
    Avatar photozn
    Moderator

    from When Will It Turn Around?

    By Jim Fadler @jimiramsboy

    http://thehorn.sportsblog.com/posts/1321133/when_will_it_turn_around_.html

    …how is this team positioned to compete in the future? Are they set up for success or the continuing failure that all fans have come to know recently.

    A very wise football man once stated that you could predict the success of a team based on how many players were on the roster between 4-7 years of experience in the NFL. That man was legendary offensive line coach Jim Hanifan who coached multiple Super Bowl offensive lines including the St. Louis Rams.

    …

    If the Rams make no changes on their roster from 2014-2015 there will be 27 players next year with 4-7 years of experience on the team. There will also only be 6 players on the down side of the bell curve with over 7 years of experience.

    #14011
    TackleDummy
    Participant

    If the Rams make no changes on their roster from 2014-2015 there will be 27 players next year with 4-7 years of experience on the team. There will also only be 6 players on the down side of the bell curve with over 7 years of experience.

    I am not sure that is right. The draft class of 2012 will be completing their 3rd year this year. So next year they will have three years of experience. I don’t think there are 27 players on the Rams roster who came into the league in 2011 or before. I am guessing he means the players will be beginning their 4th through 7th years. This would include the 2012 players.

    Also, there will be a number of players in the “experienced” catigory who will not be with the Rams next year, though I know the statement said if “no changes”.

    • This reply was modified 11 years, 9 months ago by TackleDummy.
    #14013
    Avatar photozn
    Moderator

    If the Rams make no changes on their roster from 2014-2015 there will be 27 players next year with 4-7 years of experience on the team. There will also only be 6 players on the down side of the bell curve with over 7 years of experience.

    I am not sure that is right. The draft class of 2012 will be completing their 3rd year this year. So next year they will have three years of experience. I don’t think there are 27 players on the Rams roster who came into the league in 2011 or before. I am guessing he means the players will be beginning their 4th through 7th years. This would include the 2012 players.

    Also, there will be a number of players in the “experienced” catigory who will not be with the Rams next year, though I know the statement said if “no changes”.

    The way you count years, it’s “in x year” not “x years behind you.” So in 2015, the class of 2012 will be in their 4th year. That’s what Jimi means, I think. I’ve always calculated it that way, myself–the year they are IN = their year. That’s the way, for example, the Rams official site lists it–players from the class of 2012 are now IN their 3rd year.

    In terms of how many 4-7 year players there will be, according to the roster at the official site, counting IR, they now have 33 players who are in year 3 or more. Not all of those players will be there next year. Of those, I count 24 who will be IN years 4-7 (and are therefore now listed as being in years 3-6). If you go to the practice squad and count Conrath, it’s 25.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.