13 DL competing for 9 spots?

Recent Forum Topics Forums The Rams Huddle 13 DL competing for 9 spots?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    zn

A lot of this is obvious…just being meticulous:

Unless there’s a dramatic unforseeable change, it’s gotta include Quinn, Langford, Brockers, Long, and Hayes. So that’s 5.

They extended Sims (he’s one of the 4 pre-Fisher Rams they have extended and/or re-signed already). So unless someone jumps out ahead of him, which I kinda doubt would happen, he’s in.

You have to figure it’s similar to that with Carrington. Unless he falters, he;s in. Though oddly the official site roster lists him as a DE.

Donald is obvious.

So that’s 3 more, for 8.

They kept 9 last year. And I don’t think a Fisher/Wauffle coached defensive line prospect makes it through waivers to the practice squad. They rotate 4 at end, and if you rotate 4 you have to have 5, or you’re one injury away from rotating 3.

And if you look back at the sacks for Wms. coached teams, he uses every DL on the roster, so if anything, the rotation part of it is likely to increase under Wms not decrease. So since they probably can’t get DE #5 on to the practice squad, that probably means they need 5 DEs on the roster.

There’s a couple of other DTs too of course so technically they belong on the list of players competing for spot #9.

The competition for spot #9:

Brown (Sammy) (was the 9th last year after they lost Rivers)
    Conrath
    Harlan (2014 UDFA)
    Sam
    Westbrooks

So that’s 13 (as of right now), with 5 competing for spot #9.

Everyone knows about Sam. Westbrooks gets a lot of great buzz too. Personally I think in terms of just pure talent, he edges Sam. But you never know how they are in pads in the pros, until it happens.

TackleDummy
    Participant

I think you have it just about right. Assuming no trade (maybe someone like Sims or Carrington) which I consider unlikely or an injury the first 8 seem to be pretty much locks. I would rank the next five, right now with no training camp and no preseason games, as Westbrooks, Sam, Conrath, Brown, and Harlan. The first four at least will be on somebody’s roster this year. I look for the Rams to keep 10 on their 53 man roster and none on the practice squad. That would include Westbrooks and Sam if these two show up in preseason as I think they might.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 10 months ago by TackleDummy.
    Mackeyser

I agree with all of that except I have Sam first and Westbrooks second. There were times Westbrooks dominated lesser competition and times he looked lost to me. Sam, while not having combine numbers, always seemed like a football player with a high motor and high football IQ to me. I’d love to see Sam make the squad and Westbrooks survive on the PS, but this league won’t let a Waufle coached rook sit for free on some PS…

Then again, it’s Coach Williams, so it may be neither of them if someone else totally steps up and makes the decision for them.

Sports is the crucible of human virtue. The distillate remains are human vice.

TackleDummy
    Participant

I agree with all of that except I have Sam first and Westbrooks second. There were times Westbrooks dominated lesser competition and times he looked lost to me. Sam, while not having combine numbers, always seemed like a football player with a high motor and high football IQ to me. I’d love to see Sam make the squad and Westbrooks survive on the PS, but this league won’t let a Waufle coached rook sit for free on some PS…

I made some assumptions when I made my statement. First assumption was that Westbrooks, Sam, Conrath, and possibility Brown would be good enough to be claimed by another team if they were released — thus could not be put on the Ram’s PS. The second was my order. And the third assumption was that the Rams would value these players enough so that they would be willing to keep two of them on the 53 man roster rather than to loose them when they were cut.

During the preseason I think that any of the four (Westbrooks, Sam, Conrath, Brown) could be the 9th and 10th DL on the Rams. It is also possible that only one of the four will be considered valuable enough to keep on the roster of 53. So stay tuned. We have six weeks to find out.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.