Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
joemadParticipantThat’s Russian propaganda…
No fucking way.
joemadParticipantRams looked like Super Bowl winners to everyone in Dec of 2000 and 2001…and in 1989, 1978, 1977 et al….
it doesn’t matter…..at this point the goal is to stay healthy and to get HFA in the playoffs …..to execute and hope that luck falls in your favor…..
December 10, 2018 at 5:01 pm in reply to: who’s really to blame for the Rams offense’s poor showing in Chicago? #95081
joemadParticipantThe Score Takes Care of Itself…..
Bill Walsh
SF 49ers at Miami Nov 16, 1980
Sensing the imminent kill, fans went into a stadium-wide uproar as we silently turned the ball back to Miami – the game essentially over as the Dolphins extended our losing streak to eight games with their 17-13 victory. The pain of that loss haunts me even now as I think about those final seconds ticking off the clock.
It was a horrible and numbing defeat, overwhelming for me because of its potential impact – a job I had worked for my entire adult live was in jeopardy – but also because of the stupid, self-inflicted, almost suicidal way in which we lost. As the crowd roared its approval and Miami players and fans swarmed over the filed, I stood alone on the sideline in a cocoon of grief, emotionally gutted, wonder if I had the strength to even get back to our locker room.Unless you have experienced this type of emotional shock and the bleak interior landscape it creates, it is hard to comprehend the impact. The memory never leaves you and acts as both a positive and negative force, spurring you to work harder and harder while also creating a fear inside that it might happen again. (For me, that fear eventually became more than I could handle.)
Now Shula trotted briskly across the field to shake hands and offer a few perfunctory words of condolence. I have no clue as to what he said, but even though I was in some state of shock, and the instincts took over. I offered my hand; he shook it, shouted something in my ear, and disappeared back in to the public pandemonium and celebration at midfield.The next few hours –until we got out of the stadium complex and arrived at the Miami airport –remain a blur. I cannot remember what, if anything, I said to the players and coaches in the locker room or reporters in the press room. Probably I was on some kind of automatic pilot and experiencing what victims of violence go through when the blot out the memory of assault.
While the moments immediately following the game are missing in my mind, the long trip home is vivid. Coaches are not supposed to cry, but I am not ashamed to admit that on the night flight back to SF I sat in my seat in the front row of the plane and broke down sobbing in the darkness. I felt like a casualty of war being airlifted away from the battlefield.
Bill McPherson, Neal Dahlen, John McVay, Norber Hecker, and some of the other SF assistance coachers and staff understood the grief I was experiencing and shielded me from any players who might come into the area- they huddled around my seat, blocking off view of me, while making small talk and eating peanuts as I slumped down, depressed, in my dark little space, contemplating whether I should offer my resignation. Most debilitating of all-devastating- was a gnawing fear that I did not have white it takes to be an NFL coach. At one point I actually decided to hand in my resignation the next morning; then I changed my mind.
I have tried to describe my anguish, but the works come up short. Everting I had dreamed of professionally for a quarter of a century was in jeopardy just eighteen months after being realized. And yet there was something else going on inside me, a “voice” from down deeper than the emotions, something stirring that I had learned over many years in football and, before that, growing up; namely, I must stand and fight again, stand and fight or it was all over.
And that was the instinct that slowing prevailed as we headed home in the middle of a very dark night. I knew that in a matter of seven days the New York Giants were coming to town with the sole intent of making sure that neither I nor the SF 49ers would stand and fight again.In my mind-or gut- and in spite of the pain, I knew I had to force myself to somehow start looking ahead-to overcome my grief over the debacle in Miami- or it would severely damage our efforts to prepare properly for the battle with NY; my comportment would directly affect the attitudes and performance of everyone who looked to me for answers and direction. I had to do what I was being paid to do; be a leader.
I wish I could tell you that is what happened – that I simply turned a switch and was magically transformed from an emotional basket caste into an invincible field general. It was not that way. It took time for me to stop despairing and regain some composure, to settle down and start thinking straight, but gradually, during those hours on the flight back to California, I began to pull myself together.
In the NFL events occur-hit you- at supersonic speeds with volcanic force during the regular season. There are not months or weeks to recover, not even days. Usually only hours or minutes. While you are throwing a wolf out the back door another is banging on your front door and two more are trying to crawl through your windows. I could hear the NY Giants at our front door.I can say with pride that by the time we landed in SF at 3:15 AM after a six hour flight, I had pulled myself out of the hopelessness and begun working on the strategy we would employ against the Giants when they arrived in a week. I was wobbly but back up on my feet again. I even ate a couple of bag of peanuts and drank some orange juice.
Those awful feelings brought on by the events in Miami were in retreat because I was able to summon strength enough to pull my focus, my thinking out of the past and move it forward to our next big problem. It does take strength to shift your attention off the pain when you feel as though your soul has been stripped bare.
At times like that I would think back to my days as an amateur boxer, when I would see a guy knocked flat on his back and then awkwardly struggle to one shaky knee. Everything is blurry, his balance is gone, consciousness is tenuous, he is bleeding and bruised, but as bad as things are there is one message he hears ringing inside his head; “Stand up, boy, stand up and fight” I know because as a young man I was that boxer.NFL football is no different from any professional endeavor, boxing or business or anything where the stakes are significant and the competition extreme: When you are knocked down, you must get yup; you must stand and fight.
When the inevitable setback, loss, failure, or defeat comes crashing down on you all yourself grieving time, but then recognize that the road to recovery and victory lies in having the strength to get up off the mate and plan your next move.Failure is part of success On Sunday we defeated the Giants 12-0. A week later we beat New England 21-17 then beat New Orleans 38-35 after being down 35-7.
Sixteen months after I had the emotional breakdown on the trans-continental flight from Miami we won the Super Bowl.
-
This reply was modified 7 years, 10 months ago by
joemad.
joemadParticipantGoff looked like Steve Dils today… wish they ran more in…
Tough loss. Saints #1 spot.
Saints sch = Panthers, Steelers (in NO) Panthers
Rams sch = Eagles, (Cards in AZ), and SF.
joemadParticipantHe was a great Ram….Knox took him to Buffalo….
joemadParticipantWhy not give Sam Bradford a shot?
joemadParticipantThat is cool….
worse case probability scenario I came up with is the Rams finish 12-4… ( based on defensive rankings) although, a 4 game skid is still possible (11-5)
BTW, ESPN is still one of the better sport sites in regards to pop up propaganda and ease of use… it is still my go to site.
joemadParticipantWhat I appreciate about Jared is that he’s never really been shaken,” Trubisky said. “A lot of people wrote him off after that first year, but watching him and how he handled himself, he’s very composed
Goff is badass…
joemadParticipanti’m sorry to hear about this TSRF…. criminals short on cash will always steal….. collar incident on your sister sucks….
I always believed that goodness will ultimately prevail….. i’m not so sure anymore….
joemadParticipant“””The Rams are doing this for the Fire and shooting victims. I don’t think Chicago has a chance..unless Deiter Brock comes back”””
joemadParticipantI thought I was seeing the Patriots redux from the Super Bowl. I don’t know how they got away with it, but they did.
bring the 2001 Super Bowl redux……. Gurley ran for 130+ plus yesterday… Faulk could’ve done the same thing, but Martz was just too stubborn and it cost them big time……..
joemadParticipant10 AM body clock start for them…
But the Rams still TCB today….
joemadParticipantCoach Patty’s scouting report on the Rams
This isn’t bad
joemadParticipantZooey, so how did it go?
A magical feast for Thanksgiving?
joemadParticipantRight on
Detroit is no gimme. Patricia has beat some good teams this year..,but they also have gotten creamed by some shit teams.
Rams can’t look past this game.
November 28, 2018 at 9:43 am in reply to: A Burger Scholar Breaks Down Classic Regional Burger Styles | The Burger Show #94597
joemadParticipantBurger cooked in tallow. I think I’ll pass and here’s why.
My brother rented a place to a chef who had skipped town and left the rental property with at least 50 gallons of tallow. We had know idea what this was…..it smelled like death. We called HAZMAT and they determined what it was… we loaded up the truck and dropped it off at a place called San Jose Tallow and slaughter house. I lived my whole life in this area and I had now idea that this place existed in San Jose… I cant describe how bad the stench was at that place…
BTW. How I cook and grill my burgers…a few years ago I watched a movie called Ameerka.. about an immigrant single mom from Palestine who ends up in Indiana working at White Castle. There’s a scence where she shows how White Castle cooks the burger directly over onions…
joemadParticipantAaron Rodgers = Mac Davis in North Dallas Forty
Greg Jennings = Nick Nolte in North Dallas Forty….Mac knew Nolte’s days were numbered for the North Dallas Bulls….
BTW Kaepernick had 3 TDs that day…… 129 rating in GB…. CK7 was 3-0 in GB… 1-0 in the playoffs
URL = https://www.footballdb.com/games/boxscore.html?gid=2013090812
joemadParticipantDon’t forget whipped cream for your pumpkin pie
Happy Thanksgiving!
joemadParticipantWhere do you find these gamebook pdf versions of the boxscore?
joemadParticipantMcVay is not perfect…he almost gave that game away….
Clock management no time outs… I LOVE THIS TEAM!
10-1
joemadParticipantThat was narly….
joemadParticipantBTW add soaked wood chips to the briquettes. About 25% hickory and 75% cherry. Wood chips are cheap at Home Depot.
Cherry is the popular wood of choice for turkey, thus pick some up soon before the stores run out..
Good luck… I’m sure others will post their recipes or you’ll find other recipes on line.
joemadParticipantIf you have a Weber kettle charcoal grill here’s a fool proof recipe.
It’s simple, tastes and looks fantastic… I’ve been doing this every year for Xmas and Thanksgiving since 1996
1) brine the bird on Wed. Get the brine mix from cost plus. It’s not expensive and very effective and provides a nice aroma to your kitchen the day before Thanksgiving.
2) follow the brine directions on package.
2a) But at a high level boil a large pot of water
2b) stir in brine mix and simmer let brine water cool.
2c) place bird in large plastic bag (eg large trash bag) place bag in cooler pour brine mix in bag in cooler with ice in cooler
3) Thursday AM grill the bird. I grill mine at 350 degrees Which results in cooking time of about 12 Min per pound.
3a) grill prep 60 charcoal briquettes. Get them hot to prep for indirect grilling. (30 briquettes on each side of the grill.
3b) place aluminum drip pan in between the 2 piles of briquettes. Add a small amount of water to pan.
3c) put your grate on the grill. Make sure you positioned the grill grate to allow you to add briquettes to each side of the bird during cook time
3d) remove bird from brine. rinse bird. Pat dry with paper towel. rub with butter and olive oil.
3f) place bird on grill over drip pan
3g) add 9 briquettes to each side of the grill ever 50 min to maintain 350 degree heat in grill
4) cook bird until 160 to 165 degrees, remove from grill and let stand for 20% of your cooking time.
5) carve and serve.
I use this recipe below for gravy, but cheat a little bit.
I add canned gravy instead of the flour bullshit.
Very tasty.
Giblet Gravy
* Giblet Gravy 1 tablespoon butter 2 teaspoons olive oil Giblets, liver, and neck from 1 turkey 1 cup diced onions 1/3 cup minced celery 1/3 cup peeled and minced carrots 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced 4 teaspoons all-purpose flour 1/4 cup dry white wine 1 1/2 cups chicken broth 1 sprig fresh thyme Salt and freshly ground black pepper
*
* Giblet Gravy: 1 tablespoon butter 2 teaspoons olive oil Giblets, liver, and neck from 1 turkey 1 cup diced onions 1/3 cup minced celery 1/3 cup peeled and minced carrots 2 garlic, peeled and minced 4 teaspoons all-purpose flour 1/4 cup dry white wine 1 1/2 cups chicken broth 1 sprig fresh thyme Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Giblet Gravy:
In a medium, heavy pot, melt the butter and the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the giblets, liver, and turkey neck, and cook, stirring until brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the onions, celery, carrots, and garlic, and saute an additional 5 minutes, or until the vegetables are soft. Stir in the flour and cook, stirring for 1 minute.
Deglaze the pan with the white wine, stirring to incorporate any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Add the chicken stock, thyme sprig, and any reserved juices from the bottom of the roasting pan, and cook, stirring constantly, until thickened. Strain. Adjust seasonings with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Serve warm with Emeril’s Big Bird.
Yield: about 3 cups
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse, 20043)
joemadParticipantRams Chiefs series history
Chiefs lead series 7-4
St Louie’s Rams are 0-6 vs Chiefs
LA Rams are 4-1 vs ChiefsURL = https://www.footballdb.com/teams/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/teamvsteam?opp=29
November 13, 2018 at 5:58 pm in reply to: Rams vs KC will be moved from Mexico City to Los Angeles. #93859
joemadParticipantDid the team actually board on a plane to practice at Colorado Springs?
joemadParticipantSeattle was 2 for 9 on 3rd Down conversions
Seattle gained 5 first downs due to Ram penalties
RAMS had ZERO first downs due to Seattle penalties
joemadParticipantI attended the game. I’m currently outside the Coliseum enjoying a vitory milkshake at Cold Stone…
Rams gave up a ton of rushing yards but they came up with some big 3rd down sacks today
I was worried that the Rams mis managed the game clock after recovering the first OSK midway in the fourth qtr
This was a great game to see from the stands….high fives and fist bumps for everyone!
The Rams are 9-1
joemadParticipantThe Ram game is on CBS today…. maybe Ch 46 in Monterey…
San Jose is too far from Sacto….
-
This reply was modified 7 years, 11 months ago by
joemad.
joemadParticipantSeveral wildfires burning in California … we’re located about 175 miles from the Wildfires in No Cal… our air quality is very poor which has forced them to reschedule and move some local HS football playoff games today
In addition, It’s been several months since we had any rain in Northern California… some towns have been completely torched to the ground….
So Cal had some rains a few weeks back but not nearly enough to curb the dry forest areas….
joemadParticipantURL = http://www.jimrome.com/articles/thousand-oaks-shooting
Thousand Oaks Shooting
I don’t know the answers. But I know what we’re doing is not enough.
NOVEMBER 08, 2018 – 10:58 AMI’m not sure how many times I’ve started a show by reminding everyone that this is a sports show, but that sports isn’t that important on a day like this. And this is another day like that. Because we all woke to news of 12 people murdered in the Borderline Bar and Grill in Thousand Oaks, California.
Again.
I’m from Southern California. This show is based here. I know Thousand Oaks well. I’ve even driven past the Borderline – it’s just off the Ventura Freeway. I have close friends in the area. It’s no far from where I grew up.
And like me, a lot of you listening know Thousand Oaks well. Many of you listening right now live there. Maybe your kids have played sports there. Or you went to dinner there. Or went to a movie there.
Last night, a bunch of college kids went to a bar there for college night and country line dancing. And many of them never came home.
So if you think I’m going to see that on the news, shrug and then talk about Le’Veon Bell’s contract situation or some sick dunks in the Association, you could not be more wrong. I’ll get to those topics at some point, but not right now. Not when that is happening.
A lot of sports talk radio is about making things that are unimportant seem important, but I’m certainly not going to make things that are important seem unimportant.
When a dozen people are murdered up the road from me, I’m going to talk about it.
Some of you might not want to hear it. And if you’re tempted to change the station right now, I get that.
I would rather that you didn’t, but if you do, think about why you’re doing it. Think about why this makes you uncomfortable. And then maybe take some action.
Some of you might want to view sports as a place to escape the news. And it is. But you know what else a place to escape the news is? A country line dancing bar in Thousand Oaks, California.Or a movie theater in Colorado
A college campus in Virginia
A high school in Florida
A concert in Las Vegas
A church in Texas
A high school in Colorado
A club in FloridaAn elementary school in Connecticut
Those are just a few of the high profile mass murders. There are so many more. Maybe you remember some of them, maybe you remember all of them, and maybe you remember none of them.Remember Columbine? Remember when we all said that would never happen again. It did.
Remember Sandy Hook? Remember how we said that was the last straw that nothing like that would ever happen again. It has.
We’re not even two weeks removed from a mass murder of senior citizens in a synagogue in Pittsburgh and we’re already going through this again.
Mass murders have become so commonplace, it’s practically part of the weather report. I’ll tell you about it, we’ll go to commercial break, people will say “thoughts and prayers” and then move on.
So let me try something. Let me read you a quick piece from a CNN report:Jason Coffman was one of the parents anxiously awaiting news Thursday morning about those inside the bar.
His son, Cody, 22, was there with friends — and while his friends got out, they didn’t know where Cody was, he told CNN and HLN.The father told CNN he can track his son’s cell phone — and the tracking indicates it still was in the bar Thursday morning.
“It’s at the club. It’s not moving. That’s the problem,” said Coffman, who was awaiting information at a center for relatives.
“I am very emotional right now,” he said. “This is my firstborn son and it’s tough.”
The father said Cody’s friends woke him up at 1 a.m. to tell him about the shooting.“I’m afraid that Cody ran to the gunman instead of away from the gunman. That’s the kind of boy Cody is,” he said.
That’s a father saying that about his 22 year old son. A father talking about how he can track his son’s cell phone and that phone is not moving. Imagine that. Think about that. I know I am.Your thoughts and your prayers for the victims, their families, and their friends, plus the survivors who had to witness what happened last night, are important. But they are not enough. There have been so many thoughts and prayers after mass murderers over the years that if they were enough, there wouldn’t be more mass murders.
And that moment of silence has always been followed by more moments of silence. And absolutely nothing else.
At a certain point, we need to decide as a country if this is okay. If this is normal. Because right now, by not doing anything, we’re saying it’s okay and it’s normal. We’re saying it’s okay that people can be murdered indiscriminately in clubs, churches, synagogues, and schools, at concerts and in movie theaters.
I don’t know the answers. But I know what we’re doing is not enough.I genuinely do send my thoughts and prayers to the victims of the Thousand Oaks shooting. To their families. To their friends. And to the survivors who have to live with this pain. And I would suggest that the best way to honor their lives is to do something, anything, to make sure this does not happen again.
-
This reply was modified 7 years, 10 months ago by
-
AuthorPosts

