Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
October 20, 2019 at 10:19 am in reply to: Should the left reassess its relationship to the Establishment? #106967
Billy_TParticipantWhat those revolutionaries understood, and we’ve probably forgotten, is that strategic control of the levers of power generally beats numerical superiority. Not always, but generally.
This is why pretty much every successful revolution was a minority affair, including the American Revolution. It never had much in the way of “popular support,” outside the merchant class in the North and the slaveholder class in the South. The rest of the colonials could take it or leave it. Didn’t much matter to them if their bosses were the British or the Americans. They mostly felt screwed no matter what happened via geopolitics.
To try to make a long story shorter, we leftists can maximize our relatively small numbers strategically, and through unity of goals and methods. It’s really the latter that has hurt us through time, including today. It’s basically like herding cats to get leftists to agree about much of anything.
;>)
October 20, 2019 at 10:12 am in reply to: Should the left reassess its relationship to the Establishment? #106965
Billy_TParticipantExcellent responses here and in the “Smearing Gabbard” thread. Lotsa food for thought.
On the numbers thing. I often feel that way too, and it depresses the hell out of me. But I was thinking about this last night from a different angle . . . In reality, our opponents don’t have the numbers either. We actually outnumber them. By “opponents” I’m talking about the ruling class, the owners of the means of production, the folks who pull the strings.
Throughout history, the smartest revolutionaries recognized this. They tended to get all kinds of other things wrong. But they saw this part accurately:
Those in power are woefully outnumbered by their “subjects.” And they retain that power, especially in the age of mass communication, by controlling the levers of information, the media, the education system, etc. Police and militaries too, obviously.
We leftists, in my view, should remember this and not exaggerate the “support” for the Establishment. It’s less than shallow and highly contingent. The mass of citizens aren’t fans of their bosses. Not in the slightest. They’ve adapted to the system. They don’t really support it. Humans are a highly adaptive species in general. Probably to a fault.
Continued below . . .
Billy_TParticipantAvid Game Pass user here . I got the app on Amazon’s Fire TV. I love it! Really works well on my Samsung UHD 4k. I have a digital antenna and fairly fast internet but no cable and no dish. Also have Sunday Ticket’s streaming service but they won’t let you do that if you can have dish. Game Pass on the Fire tv is way better than on my pc.(Ancient pc newer tv) . You can also cast from your phone to Tv.
Is that a subscription? What’s it cost to set this up? Are the games Live, or released later?
I seem to recall having Game Pass long, long ago, and watching the games on Monday. But I don’t have to settle for that now, so I don’t do it.
I would pay to watch the games if it was a “reasonable” amount, but I’m not paying whatever it is to have a dish – $60/month or ? – and then another fee on top of that for Ticket when I don’t watch TV much apart from football.
Zooey,
From what I understand, Game Pass is $75 total, and the games are viewable right after they end in real time. So it’s same day . . . You don’t have to wait until Monday.
. . .
I’ve had Directv for a long time, and consistently managed to get the Sunday Ticket for free — until this year. Normally, it’s more than $300. I’d even get discounts on the rest of the TV package. Don’t know if you saw it, but the Herd used to have an hysterical yearly thread . . . usually led by James JM, detailing how he could never get those freebies, while other posters talked about Directv giving them new cars, houses, vacations, along with the Sunday Ticket.
;>)
Anyway, since AT&T took over, it’s been tougher. But I did get it for free last season, plus a $50 discount overall. The best offer this season was two months of credit for the Ticket only, and my other discounts expire in December. So I said no. Leave the service on hold (since June now). I’ll probably cancel it before year’s end.
Game Pass seems to be the next best option to watching it “live.”
October 19, 2019 at 11:48 am in reply to: Zone versus Man coverage: Shouldn't the Rams have known about Peters? #106930
Billy_TParticipantLotsa good responses. Thanks, everyone.
Good article, ZN. Makes sense to me. That’s pretty much my assessment too.
If Peters has really good safety help behind him, he can gamble and not cost his team touchdowns. It’s not going to work 100% of time, but logic tells us that the number of losing gambles can be reduced a great deal, via scheme and the right athletes behind him . . . and in front of him, of course.
Peters needs both a strong rush and very athletic, smart safeties behind him. That frees him up to take chances and break on the ball, etc.
For whatever reason, things didn’t come together with the Rams. That said, I don’t think the FO did its due diligence before getting him, and the recent trade seems like a loss for the Rams — to me. I’m fine with a trade. Just not the one they did. Peters should have garnered more, and given all the draft picks they gave up for Ramsey, they should have demanded picks in return . . . or, as already mentioned, made it clear that Peters would count as a #1 in the deal for Ramsey.
They may have tried all of that and failed. Who knows? But, on balance, I’m not happy with “value” they received in return for Peters, and they likely shouldn’t have trade FOR him in the first place.
I hope this is a learning experience for McVay and company. They can’t afford any more of these, in my view.
Billy_TParticipantQuick update on the Clinton smear of Gabbard. Good to see some pushback (from Van Jones, in this case), aired on CNN. Wonder if they received a ton of angry feedback after the Sellers commment . . .
Excerpt:
CNN political commentator Van Jones said Friday that Hillary Clinton was “playing a very dangerous game” by suggesting that Russia was grooming 2020 Democratic hopeful Rep. Tulsi Gabbard (D-Hawaii) to launch a third-party presidential bid.
“If you’re concerned about disinformation … that is what just happened — just throw out some information, disinformation, smear somebody,” Jones told CNN host Erin Burnett on Friday night while responding to the 2016 Democratic presidential nominee’s remarks.
“She is Hillary Clinton. She’s a legend. She’s going to be in the history books, she’s a former nominee of our party, and she just came out against a sitting U.S. congresswoman, a decorated war veteran, and somebody who’s running for the nomination of our party with a complete smear and no facts,” he said.
“I do not want someone of her stature to legitimate these attacks against anybody,” Jones continued. “If you’ve got real evidence, come forward with it. But if you’re just going to smear people casually on podcasts, you are playing right into the Russians’ hands.”
Billy_TParticipantNittany,
Good extension/improvement of what I suggested above. By naming the specific kinds of jobs, it brings the matter home.
Thanks.
Billy_TParticipantThe thing is, if we all said no, then guess who ends up staffing and running all of these sectors of society? The worst of the worst. In the absence of good people making the case directly for humane, ethical, moral practice, in all of these sectors, each one of them will become far more aggressively rotten or “evil.”
. . .
One of the biggest mistakes “the left” made (generations ago) and still makes, in my opinion, is to cede ground on the issue of who runs this and that part of society. Overt and unsaid pressure not to participate in certain realms has pretty much guaranteed that far-right factions control things like the military, police departments around the country, the Intel communities, judgeships, and so on. We all too often believe strongly that our conscience precludes working in those sectors, so we don’t. Guess who fills that void?
And an agency like the CIA isn’t going anywhere. If “the left” basically boycotts it, it just goes on doing what it does, with a much, much higher concentration of far-right zealots than it might have if we had jumped in to “fix it.”
As citizens, isn’t it our “duty” to fight against those forces? My mother always said to me that the best way to change the system is from the inside. Depending upon my age at the time, I’d usually argue to one degree or another in favor of a different route. But as I get older, I wonder if she wasn’t correct all along. Not saying that “the left” should ever stop agitating from the outside. Just saying we need the proverbial holistic approach. Outside and inside.
Marshall Faulk and Stephen Jackson.
Billy_TParticipantWV,
Well said. I understand why you feel that way about the CIA. But, frankly, isn’t that the case with the majority of “the state”? Should people become police officers, for example, given the history of abuses? Should they become border patrol agents, given its long, long history of (what I would call) state terrorism against migrants? Or the military, given its history, which includes wiping out Native peoples? The list goes on and on, and it’s not limited to the United States, obviously. Every empire on earth has that dilemma. Every empire that has ever existed has engaged in mayhem and the slaughter of the innocent, and each hegemon among those empires has engaged to a greater degree than anyone else.
If a citizen’s duty is not to participate, then none of us should ever work for anything remotely attached to state power, or private, corporate power. Hell, the medical community has an awful history of testing drugs and procedures on the innocent, resulting in death and other horrors. Should every citizen say no to the healing professions too?
(Again, splitting this up into two posts. More below)
Billy_TParticipantWV,
I hope you managed to get through all of that without falling asleep.
;>)
After rereading my own responses, I often think of Old Hacker and his football posts. Short, direct, to the point. Took seconds to read.
I wish I had that skill.
Billy_TParticipantOk, we just have different reactions to Dore. I dont mind his ‘shoot from the hip’ qualities. I think of him as a ‘gonzo’ type. Also, I dont have a problem with saying Anderson Cooper ‘worked for the CIA’ if he indeed interned with them. Its the same thing to me. He chose to intern with Murder-Inc, imho. It tells me a lot about him. Is there really any ‘non-sinister’ way to work for the CIA? They are a Murder-Organization. Or do you see them as more nuanced than that? 🙂
w
vFirst off, we agree about how reprehensible it is to smear Gabbard. That was your initial question. And I added the Clinton interview to point out that she smeared Stein as well. Again, that really, really pisses me off.
As mentioned above, Dore was spot on in his critique of the CNN guest, and justified in blasting him for what he said.
I just have a problem with him then turning around and basically engaging in what he just accused others of doing. He should practice what he preaches, in my view.
As for the CIA and Anderson:
I tend to cut teenagers a lot of slack when it comes to their choices. Anderson was a teen when he interned for the CIA. If he’s maintained a relationship without letting his audience know, then I have a problem with that. But not the initial internship.
As for the CIA itself: We’re on the same page when it comes to its ugly history and likely current ugly ops. But I think we differ in the overall picture. I think it is actually possible to work for it and not be a part of that monstrous past and/or present. I think it’s possible to work on Intel that actually saves innocent lives around the world. And I don’t mean as the state propagandists would define innocent. I don’t mean in the sense of “America is the greatest nation evah, so whatever we do is the greatest, evah.” I mean legit, objective prevention of the loss of innocent lives . . . through the discovery and disruption of planned attacks.
My theory of human beings applies to bureaucracies like the CIA too: I honestly, sincerely believe the vast majority of people are basically good, want to just live and let live, and reject hurting others. It’s a relatively small portion of humanity that seeks to harm others, seeks power over others, or worse. A portion of that portion actually loves cruelty, etc. But most of the people in society aren’t like that, and generally won’t engage in that.
I see our problems as top down, predominantly. The traits that drive people to reach positions of power are all too often sociopathic in nature to begin with. So those in power are, ironically, frequently the last people on earth who should hold it.
To make a long story short: Yes, I think people can work for the CIA and not be monsters.
Billy_TParticipantTo sum up, WV. As you know, I’m terrible at being succinct!!
;>)
Clinton and that CNN guest are dead wrong to smear Gabbard (and Stein). It’s ugly and reprehensible and, frankly, pathetic. They don’t even try to provide evidence.
We both know they can’t.
Billy_TParticipantI duckduckgo’d Anderson Cooper and the CIA. It appears to be yet another case of Dore jumping the gun.
He interned with them during the summer of his sophomore and junior years at Yale, apparently. And that was the end of his connection, as far as we know.
Could he have retained the connection? Sure. Of course. Could he be Jason Bourne in disguise? Sure. But Dore should have been honest about this, instead of insinuating that he “worked for the CIA” in some sinister capacity as an adult.
Seriously, I have less and less patience for these youtube-host “progressives.” They don’t practice what they preach.
Billy_TParticipantClinton is such a petty, vindictive person here, and acts like Trump in this case:
Hurl accusations against others without any evidence:
Excerpt:
At Tuesday night’s Democratic presidential debate, Rep. Tulsi Gabbard (D-Hawaii) hit back at critics who charged she’s too close to Russia. “This morning, a CNN commentator said on national television that I’m an asset of Russia,” she said. “Completely despicable.”
Gabbard won’t be happy to hear Hillary Clinton’s latest interview. Nor will President Trump or another of Clinton’s 2016 opponents, whom Clinton has now lodged similar accusations about.
In a conversation on former Obama campaign manager David Plouffe’s podcast, Clinton suggested the Russians are leveraging a number of top U.S. politicians. She suggested Russia had kompromat on Trump. She accused 2016 Green Party nominee Jill Stein of being a “Russian asset.” And she suggested Russia might back Gabbard as a third-party candidate.
“They’re also going to do third-party again,” Clinton said. “I’m not making any predictions, but I think they’ve got their eye on someone who’s currently in the Democratic primary and are grooming her to be the third-party candidate. She’s the favorite of the Russians. They have a bunch of sites and bots and other ways of supporting her so far.”
Trump is easily the most despicable human being to occupy the White House. But Clinton proves, yet again, she didn’t deserve the office either.
We had two horrible choices. Clinton was the better of the two. But I’m glad I voted Third Party.
Billy_TParticipantStarting off, Dore paints a false picture of that the Alliance for Securing Democracy. He makes it sound like it’s a Clinton cut out. It’s primarily run and staffed with former Bush alum. Some Dems. Mostly Republicans.
My experience with Dore is that he’s all too cavalier with the facts, rushes to judgment, while accusing others of doing so, and I have no idea why he wastes a moment’s time trying to defend RT. It’s Russian State TV. It doesn’t try to hide that. I don’t trust Russian or American propaganda. Smartest way to go is to say no to both/and.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alliance_for_Securing_Democracy
Next: He makes a great point about Bacari Sellers’ horrible smear of Gabbard, which really should have pushed the panel to call for evidence. But then Dore does just what Sellers’ did by saying he must be CIA. Does Dore know this? Does he have evidence to support this? If not, don’t say it. Sellers’ makes a stupid, baseless accusation. Dore should have left it there.
I liked Gabbard’s response. She’s tough and poised. I have a feeling that if Sanders wins, she’ll be his VP. I’d happily vote for that ticket.
Next: Dore instantly takes the word of an interviewer, who makes claims about ISIS funding, talking to Flynn, a well-known crackpot and now a felon. Dore accuses others of not presenting evidence, but he’s fine with taking the word of some Youtube host like himself? Might it all be true? Certainly. Obviously. But I’m not going to go with one youtube host I’ve never seen before and the nutcase Flynn.
At that point, I stopped watching.
(Will post a WaPo article that makes a much better case why we should be angered by the smears against Gabbard and Stein, IMO. Clinton’s at it again!!)
Billy_TParticipantThanks, ZN and Zooey.
As an old Internet tech, though, I’m a bit leery when it comes to trusting “free” Internet links for sports and such. Good way to get viruses.
Have you guys had any issues with that? Is there a critical mass of reliably clean sites, with solid histories, etc.?
(I’m fine with the lag stuff. My only concern would be safety.)
Billy_TParticipantThanks, WV. Really good article.
Ownership. Capitalism is all about legalized ownership of other human beings . . . at least during a certain portion of the day. And regardless of the time of day, everything you make belongs to ownership, not you. As Anderson points out, in many a corporation, your life isn’t even your own when you leave the premises.
Norman Mailer said, back in the 1950s, in the pages of Dissent, that capitalism follows us everywhere. It’s obviously far worse now than it was back then.
There is no “freedom” in working for someone else. There is no “liberty” in producing things with your own sweat and blood that you can never own — that instantly belong to “the boss.”
The answer, IMO, is to simply make it illegal for any human being to own the production of others. Your own? Sure. But just your own. So, to me, the ideal economic system would have a mix of single/sole proprietors and co-ops or WSDEs. If the business is larger than one person, it must be commonly held. If, say, you build custom chairs, just you, with your own two hands, with no employees, you’re good to go. You’re not a capitalist.
I’d also decentralize politics to the community level. Democratic building blocks there. Each workplace is democratic. Each community democratic, federated to one another.
And the rationale for work along the lines Hagglund talks about in This Life.
Four main reasons:
1. Fulfill needs
2. Achieve the Common Good
3. Solve societal problems
4. Generate more and more free time for every citizen.To me, it’s always been sheer madness to have the accrual and concentration of personal wealth as the rationale. That can’t help but create mass inequality and most of our pathologies.
Billy_TParticipant< My memory isn’t what it used to be, cuz you’ve probably explained the above rationale about a thousand and one times, and I just forgot about it.
Anyway . . .
===========================
My memory has got to be the worst on the board. Trust me. Its awful. I’ve accepted it, though.
Strangely, I can still remember oddities from, like the 70s. Like, i can remember William F Buckley saying he liked peanut-butter sandwiches on his Firing Line Show. But i cant remember what i had for breakfast yesterday. Its weird what my brain retains and what it tosses into the mind-abyss.
w
vPeanut butter is sacred. So I get that. I think if it were a religion to worship peanut butter, especially with chocolate, I’d give up my atheism.
As for brain retention. I can’t remember where I bumped into this — ironic, aint it — but a recent radio article talked about how time passes faster and faster as we age . . . and how to, maybe, perhaps, slow this down.
Everything is so new when we’re young. And the newness of things forces the brain to process things more, which slows time down. As we get older, we get into more and more routines, and we have less need for that extra processing time. This speeds up our perceptions, apparently. So the article suggested we alter our routines whenever we can. Find the new in life when possible.
But I keep forgetting to do that!!
Billy_TParticipanti get this feeling that gurley will not be a ram for much longer.
not advocating that they keep him or release him. but i just don’t know how they keep that many players at a premium rate.
what say the salary cap experts?
Gurley turned 25 this past August. There may be a team loaded enough and willing to red-shirt him for a year. NE, for instance. They’ve done it before. They’d have to do something about his salary, of course, which may not be possible. I don’t know the ins and outs of the Cap either. But if it’s possible, a team like New England might trade for him.
I love his game when healthy. He was a joy to watch, with his size/speed combo, and I was thrilled when the Rams drafted him. It was a chance I thought was worth it, and ended up being arguably a top three running back a good three seasons — and very likely the best pass-blocking tailback in the league. One could make the case that he was the best runner, period, in football for at least a season, maybe two, and he definitely made all things possible for McVay’s offense.
But it does look like those days are gone. Would another team look at him like an Adrian Peterson, who can give you his best off the bench?
If I’m the Rams, I at least explore this. I think Henderson has “it,” and can do many of the things Gurley can do, and seems basically healthy now. The main difference between them at the moment appears to be the pass-blocking, and knowledge of the offense. I’m betting the latter two things kept him on the bench until they had no other choice. If Henderson improves in those areas, he can come close to Gurley’s contribution. Won’t be able to pound the line like Gurley. But they have Brown for that.
(I made some comments about Ramsey in my own thread earlier.)
October 17, 2019 at 9:19 am in reply to: Zone versus Man coverage: Shouldn't the Rams have known about Peters? #106832
Billy_TParticipantAlso, and this suggestion likely shows my advanced age:
If the Rams can sign Ramsey long term, he strikes me as a perfect candidate to switch to safety down the road. He’s a legit 6’1″, 210, give or take. It used to be when bigger corners slow down a tad, they’d make the move to safety — or try to. He was a 4.4 guy coming out of school, with a freakish vert and broad jump, which generally shows explosion, so, to me, he’s a great candidate for free safety in the future.
When he loses a bit of his quickness, which will probably happen as he approaches 30, the Rams would be smart to think of him as their free safety . . . and actually cross-train him starting now.
Billy_TParticipantI think right-wingers, especially right-libertarians, prefer the adjective “crony.” Centrists and moderates, right and left of center, likely do well with your chosen adjective. But they seem to bristle at my critique of capitalism without preamble.
It appears corporate messaging has won the day. They’ve been able to somehow associate “capitalism” with Mom, Apple Pie and America itself.
We live in very, very strange times.
Billy_TParticipantI basically agree, but I like to use the terms “CORPORATE-capitalism” or corporotocracy, for ‘strategic’ reasons. Same reasons i never use the term ‘NeoLiberal.’
I just figure that the bewildered-herd has been dummed down and propagandized so much that to criticize “capitalism” is just asking them to go where they cant go. Ya know. But they tend to mistrust Big-Corporations. So I always toss out the term Corporate-capitalism. Instead of Capitalism. I figure they ‘might’ not totally slam their brains shut if I use the CC term instead of the C term.
I could be wrong. Itz just somethin i do.
On ‘this’ board people ‘get it’ so it dont really matter, but out there in the Vast Wasteland…..
w
vAll of that makes a lot of sense, WV. And I probably owe you yet another apology. My memory isn’t what it used to be, cuz you’ve probably explained the above rationale about a thousand and one times, and I just forgot about it.
Anyway . . . yeah, I’ve noticed a change over time when discussing the term “capitalism.” Growing up, a direct and harsh critique of our economic system rarely would cause left of center folks the slightest problem. In fact, they’d typically agree. What used to separate “liberals” from leftists is that liberals thought it could be reformed.
Today? It seems to ruffle feathers everywhere but among we leftists. People seem to take it personally, as if the discussion is a direct assault on them, even though we take pains to emphasize we’re talking about the system, not individual Americans, etc.
(will split this in two to make it more Old Hacker-sized)
October 15, 2019 at 6:21 pm in reply to: Rams traded Marcus Peters to Ravens for LB Kenny Young #106740
Billy_TParticipantI haven’t watched all the games, but it looked to me like Talib had really fallen off his game. I remember from last year that he didn’t really like contact, so was already in decline. Though, weirdly enough, the stats say the Rams D was much, much better when he was on the field. I never could see it in his play, but must have missed it.
Peters? Actually glad they traded him, though I know nothing about the guy they got. Would have rather seen a second O-lineman. As in, both trades. But I’m happy to see they’re not willing to stand pat. They know something’s wrong, and they aren’t afraid to make changes.
Good to see. Hope Corbett works out at least. Obviously, it’s time now for Long and even Scott to step up. Perhaps a trade for Ramsey?
-
This reply was modified 6 years, 12 months ago by
Billy_T.
Billy_TParticipantWhen you get the time, would appreciate feedback on the above . . . and my theory that the United States isn’t all that hospital to the “deep state” model.
Ironically, it was moreso in the past. When Mills wrote his Power Elite in the 1950s, there still was a sort (of last gasp remnant) of Northeast, Anglo-Ascendancy that pretty much had power bottled up via the economy and “the state.” I haven’t studied the timeline enough to know when this changed, exactly. But it’s no longer the case. Old Northeast money is no longer the ticket, either.
(I’ll be posting a bit on some personal family history that gives at least some anecdotal evidence for this “loss” later . . . though my background is predominantly Celtic. Perhaps that’s the rationale for what happened later. ;>)
Hang in there, WV.
Billy_TParticipantLotsa good questions, as usual, WV. As well as food for thought.
I’m fine with your term, corporotocracy. But, as you know, I think we need to drill down at least one more level. I sincerely believe that the capitalist system itself, its very “nature,” its internal logic, leads inevitably to corporate control, monopolies and oligarchies. I think that’s inevitable for any system that makes it legal for one human being to own the production of others . . . and capitalism is the first system to codify this into law and then globalize it. It just stands to reason that if you allow one human to own everything produced by others, as if that one human being did all the work, you’re going to generate mass inequality, corruption and injustice. No way around it. It’s the slave model, gussied up to one degree or another. All the incentives point to more and more concentration of wealth and power, and fewer people controlling more and more humans, resources, the planet, etc.
A corporation is just the most logical way of organizing that concentration, at the moment, given capitalism’s internal dynamic. But something else may take its place if that becomes more “efficient” as a means to extract and concentrate more wealth, etc. etc.
The CIA, NSA, et al? I think the folks who pull the strings use those agencies to protect “wealth,” first and foremost. Yes, you get “true believers” too. But their belief systems change over time, sometimes per generation. Enemies change. Blacks, Native peoples, migrants, socialists, communists, Muslims, Jews, even Catholics at one time. Ironically, Bill Barr is a religious nutcase and a Catholic, hoping a new Christian army will take over the workings of government to fight “secularists.”
Enemies change. The only thing that remains the same is the irrational need for enemies — and protecting the rich.
I have no idea how to change those constants. But I do know they won’t change as long as capitalism is the economic mode.
October 15, 2019 at 11:23 am in reply to: so what happened to the 2019 Rams (so far ie at 3-3) #106709
Billy_TParticipantI watched the second half at a Buffalo Wild Wings. Painful. Not just because the food was kinda blah, and too many Niner fans were there. It was painful to watch the Rams misfire again and again. They seemed more like the Fisher Rams than the McVayians.
(First year for me without the Sunday Ticket in a long, long time. Have negotiated successfully for a free Ticket, but not this year. AT&T held firm to just two months’ credit and I said no . . . . So it’s gonna be sports bars or just the local showings when they happen.)
Not being original here, of course, but it’s the O-line. That’s where the Rams’ decline begins and ends. Even as important as Gurley is to the O, I think Henderson and Brown could get the job done, if the O-line does its job. Apparently, they did in the first half but not the second.
And now Noteboom is gone, and perhaps Johnson and Talib on D? Rams have been relatively lucky on injuries for the last two years, and that seems to have ended. If they don’t find a way to improve the O-line, in-season, the Rams will have a hard time even making the playoffs.
I could do a “I told you so,” but I’m above all of that.
;>)
Anyway . . . this will be a major challenge/learning experience for the coaching staff — and the players. If the Rams fall short of the playoffs, but McVay comes out of this stronger and better prepared . . . it’s (almost) worth it. But if they choose to be stubborn, it will be a loss without a saving grace, etc. Our optimism will prove to be misplaced . . . and I was waaaay optimistic about this year and the future.
Billy_TParticipantWell just as a thot-experiment. Do you think Hoover’s FBI was or had parts of it that could be analogous to a ‘deep state’ ? Do you think he had the power, knowledge, will, to create and nurture something akin to a ‘deep state.’ ? The ‘deep state’ aspect of course is not the same as saying the FBI was ‘monolithic’ etc.
Just curious as to what you would label the Hoover thingy.
Btw, just so you know, the Hoover analogy is more of a RIGTHWING version of ‘the deep state.’
w
vHoover, of course, was hard-right, politically, and a monster. He basically shredded the Constitution on a weekly, if not daily, basis. He ran the FBI with an iron fist, even before it was called the FBI . . . and it’s always been run by Republicans since his day.
Quick side-note: the Dems brought a lot of this mess on themselves, for seeming indifference when it comes to which party has control over Intel/FBI/Military, etc. . . . Even when Dems hold the White House, they all too often keep Republicans in place. It bit them hard with Comey.
Did Hoover have the power to establish a loyal structure to a degree? Yes. And I have no doubt he did. But the US bureaucracy, at least in “modern times,” is generally too big to establish dominance beyond the layer of leadership and upper management. To the degree that career civil servants obey that leadership, the structure holds. When they finally say “no,” it won’t. Which, to me, says the necessary structure for a “deep state” doesn’t exist in America. Again, for the reasons I mentioned above. It can exist in societies more given to clannish control, more amenable to generational, blood-line (tribal) cohesion and very long memories. Americans are famous for our short memories and seeking “the main chance” in the here and now. So factions will rise and fall. But original structures don’t hold. They’re overturned, and overturned again and again.
IMO, the constant is money equals power. Power is for sale. But that also means short memories and temporary alliances, not blood-memory endurance through time.
Boiled down: We have a top-down dynamic in America, and it’s arguably the most volatile and contingent one in the “developed” world. Money talks. Not blood lines and clan groupings.
Billy_TParticipantBack to the discussion of the term, “deep state.” Unless I misread Zooey, and I probably have, it doesn’t sound like he thinks there are enough people involved to constitute one, even if we’re just talking about per department or agency.
Same caveat with WV, but it sounds like he does think there are enough.
My own view is closer to ZN’s, and his contention of various factions. Though I would add that “desire for power” tends not to show up very often in career employees. The dynamic of power seeking is a highly selective process. As in, if someone seeks it out, and the “conspiracies” and machinations that generally go with it, they’re not likely to take the career civil servant route in the first place. Exceptions, of course, exist. Still, they’re far more likely to take shorter, more lucrative routes, which may end up with someone like a Gordon Sondland, who gave a million dollars to the Trump campaign and was handed an ambassadorship as a result. That’s a far more common practice for those who seek some form of state power.
Power both pre-selects and is selected. This is why a “deep state” is unlikely in America. In more “traditional” societies, where kin and kith and long memories are much more important, there are far better grounds for it. American society is too ephemeral, too “get yours now!”, too opposed to the long view. It’s far too “dynamic” to keep such a thing in place, beyond the built-in power that resides with wealth. This is why, I think, C. Wright Mills’ “Power Elite” idea makes much more sense for us.
Also, until we can dump capitalism for good, which is the necessary stage before we dump centralized state power, we better hope there are serious professional/career civil servants in place, who can counter venal leaders like Trump. Rather than view this as some sinister, coordinated plot . . . I think it’s one of those rare bright spots in a truly ugly time.
Billy_TParticipantFirst off,
I think it’s good that we can discuss this and not get upset, start hurling insults at each other, question each other’s motives, etc. etc. Most political forums can’t claim that.
Second: Fiona Hill, a highly respected career civil servant, testified yesterday for nine hours. We’re getting reports of some of the things she said, and they support, amplify and extend the remarks of the whistleblower. He or she opened the door. But it’s “the people in the room” who are going to finish off Trump.
(The picture is a link to the NYT story)
Excerpt from the WaPo:
Fiona Hill, the White House’s former top Russia adviser, told impeachment investigators on Monday that Rudolph W. Giuliani, the president’s personal lawyer, ran a shadow foreign policy in Ukraine that circumvented U.S. officials and career diplomats in order to personally benefit President Trump, according to people familiar with her testimony.
Hill, who served as the senior official for Russia and Europe on the National Security Council, was the latest witness in a fast-moving impeachment inquiry focused on whether the president abused his office by using the promise of military aid and diplomatic support to pressure Ukraine into investigating his political rivals.
In a closed-door session that lasted roughly 10 hours, Hill told lawmakers that she confronted Gordon Sondland, the U.S. ambassador to the European Union, about Giuliani’s activities which, she testified, were not coordinated with the officials responsible for carrying out U.S. foreign policy, these people said, speaking on the condition of anonymity to disclose details of her deposition.
Billy_TParticipantTaibbi is often sarcastic, so it’s sometimes difficult to know how much of this he really means . . . but here’s a good section to discuss:
So there you have it. A mysterious stranger from the lying, torturing, propagandizing, drug trafficking, assassinating, coup-staging, warmongering, psychopathic CIA was working in the White House, heroically provided the political/media class with politically powerful information out of the goodness of his heart, and then vanished off into the Langley sunset. Clearly there is nothing suspicious about this story at all.
In all seriousness, even to call this spook a “whistleblower” is ridiculous on its face. You don’t get to call someone from the US intelligence community a whistleblower unless they are actually whistleblowing on the US intelligence community. That’s not a thing.
Actually, Taibbi is wrong here. There is no rule that says a whistleblower has to stay within the confines of his or her agency or department, when it comes to exposing what they see as wrongdoing, abuse of power, etc. It actually does qualify as whistleblower if X from Y agency exposes something from Z agency.
And, again . . . while Taibbi is obviously correct about the historical wrongs committed by the various Intel and Law Enforcement agencies . . . and it’s ongoing . . . it’s not good journalistic practice to assume this particular person is continuing that history. It wasn’t even good journalistic practice of the NYT to say he/she is CIA. That obviously has prejudiced a host of Americans against him/her from the getgo.
Ironically, this helps Trump on both the right and the left. The NYT did him a favor and potentially put the man/woman at risk.
Me? I’d rather wait until we have a lot more information before I judge the person in question, or their depiction of events. So far, it appears to be supported by the facts, by Trump’s own words and deeds, and others who are coming forward as we speak.
-
This reply was modified 6 years, 12 months ago by
Billy_T.
-
This reply was modified 6 years, 12 months ago by
-
AuthorPosts

