99 vs 2022

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    wv
    Participant

The fan-experience:

A few days ago, I was wondering how I’d feel if the Rams won.   Wondered if it would be as satisfying as 99.

Its great to see Kupp, Donald, Stafford, Woods, Whitworth, etc get a ring.

Especially nice to beat Brady and the dreaded Shanahan on the way to the championship.

But nothing can top 99, in my mind, apparently.  Somethin about that 99 experience was a little better.   Cant put my finger on it.

The GSOT vs The All-In-Team

I suspect the 99 offense was better.  Mainly cause of Faulk. Plus the depth at WR.  I mean, Ike, Torry, Hakim, Proehl.

But the defense –  i gotta give the edge to the 2022 team.  Aaron Donald.  Jalen.  Von Miller, and the rest.

Kicking maybe the edge to the 2022 team, too.

Coaching — Hmmm.   DV/Martz or McVay and company.  Gotta go with DV/Martz.

==

w

v

zn

The combination of Warner, Faulk, Bruce, Holt, the other receivers, and that stellar offensive line makes the 99 Rams the better team.

And coming off the 90s drought made it especially exciting. They went from worst to best overnight. That whole season had a magical “do you believe what we’re seeing?!” feel to it.

This team has Stafford, Kupp, and a long list of well-coached B+ players (that is, when OBJ is not on the field–IMO Kupp + OBJ is the equal of Bruce + Holt, though very different).

But IMO? This team is much more clutch. That sounds strange because of course in 99 they had both the Tampa game and a chance at the end to lose to the Titans. Those games came down to the wire. So it was not not a clutch team. But to me, the 2021 team ranks higher in terms of sheer clutchiosity.

Like only Aaron Donald could come through on consecutive 3rd and 4th and 1 plays with the game on the line. Jones made the tackle because he read the situation correctly. Donald made plays few can make.

joemad
    Participant

interesting, i was thinking the same thing…

as a fan, I think that the 2021 Rams played  a much tougher schedule and played in a much more competitive conference and division than the Rams did in 1999….

In 1999, SF started  3-1 then lost Steve Young forever to a concussion.  One of those 3 wins that SF had was against the eventual AFC Champion Titans.

After Young’s concussion, SF lost 12 of their next 13 games in 1999

The NFC QB crop of starting QBs wasn’t very good in 1999 especially in the NFC West. Shaun Hill replaced Trent Dilfer at QB for the TB for the NFC Championship where the Rams barely won at home….

The 2021 Rams had to play an extra regular season game….they had to play an extra playoff game, and had to knock off Tom Brady and his reigning Bucs team on the road…

The 2021 Rams were an annual playoff team, thus they had teams targeting them throughout the regular season…. The 1999 surprised everyone outside of STL

Once teams knew how formidable the Rams were in 2000, they  6 of their last 11 games…

Both were very good teams, but I think 2021 faced much stiffer competition than the 1999 Rams did.

Faulk was better than anyone.

As great as Bruce and Holt were,  Cooper Kupp, OBJ, Woods, are pretty good.

I agree with you on defense and ST, i think 2021 is better.

I think i’d pick McVay over Vermeil, mainly because McVay has consistently lost coaching staff that he developed, where Vermeil’s assistants were very very good with a ton of NFL experience that he picked.

GO RAMS!!!!

• This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by joemad.
    InvaderRam

Like only Aaron Donald could come through on consecutive 3rd and 4th and 1 plays with the game on the line. Jones made the tackle because he read the situation correctly. Donald made plays few can make.

i remember a moment where donald shoved burrow out of bounds on a perfectly legal play and the bengals started shoving donald.  and on the chat room you kind of joked and said don’t get yourself kicked out now.  maybe i’m imagining it, but i think a switch flipped for donald.  and after that he just ripped that oline to shreds.  kind of like jordan with the chicago bulls.  challenge him and he’ll just turn it up to another level.

zn

i remember a moment where donald shoved burrow out of bounds on a perfectly legal play and the bengals started shoving donald. and on the chat room you kind of joked and said don’t get yourself kicked out now. maybe i’m imagining it, but i think a switch flipped for donald. and after that he just ripped that oline to shreds. kind of like jordan with the chicago bulls. challenge him and he’ll just turn it up to another level.

Yeah I think there’s something to that.

But I also think that in all 4 post-season games, the Rams DL dominated in the 2nd half. That’s Morris adjusting.

Billy_T
    Participant

It’s just memory, so I won’t plant a flag in the ground there. But I remember thinking the 1999 Rams were unstoppable on offense, and pretty good on D as well. They were #6 in the league, I believe. But, they didn’t live up to that dominance in the playoffs, and barely made it through.

The Rams this season had stretches of dominance, especially early on, but I think the pundits wrote them off at several points a long the way. They seem to have played better in the playoffs than in the regular season, if we adjust for levels of competition.

IMO, the best Rams team in recent times was the 2001 Rams. They were better on both sides of the ball than the 1999 version. But they couldn’t get it done in the Super Bowl, and, if memory serves, weren’t awesome in the playoffs before that, either.

Strange, too, the way memory works. Cuz I think several Rams teams in the late 1960s, thru the 1980s, were even more dominant, especially on D, than this year’s squad, but they were One and Done in the playoffs all too frequently. Used to break this once young fan’s heart.

Billy_T
    Participant

Related sidebar on the D and Aaron Donald: Spent some time watching some of the sports talkers today, and they were arguing about who was the best defensive player all-time, and a bit about the “most feared.” It ticked me off that no one mentioned Deacon Jones. It was just AD against Lawrence Taylor, with Steve Smith giving the nod to the latter cuz Belichek said he was the greatest.

Other guests supported AD, but no one mentioned the Deacon. He was bigger, faster, stronger, and meaner than JT, and had more sacks. To me, he definitely wins “most feared” and GOAT.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.