2023 schedule & strength of schedule (schedule’s here now)

Recent Forum Topics Forums The Rams Huddle 2023 schedule & strength of schedule (schedule’s here now)

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    zn

zn

from https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2023/05/09/rams-schedule-toughness-strength-rankings-2023/?taid=645afacc612c420001686101&utm_campaign=trueanthem&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=twitter

The Rams’ schedule is the toughest of any NFC West team and there are only four teams in the conference with a tougher schedule than the Rams. It does help a little bit that Aaron Rodgers is no longer on the Packers, but the quarterbacks on Los Angeles’ schedule are still great – Jalen Hurts, Dak Prescott, Joe Burrow and Lamar Jackson among them. They’ll also have to face the No. 4 overall pick, Anthony Richardson, with the Colts.

The rest of the NFC West has an easier schedule because (1) Arz has a favorable last place schedule, and (2) Seattle and SF both play the Rams twice, and since strength of schedule is based on the previous season’s record, the Rams 5-12 season mathematically makes their schedules easier.

Seattle and SF will be tough though, I’m not saying they won’t be.

zn

zn

Los Angeles Rams schedule 2023: Staying healthy, rookie growth key vs. tough road

The 2023 Los Angeles Rams’ schedule has arrived — will it be the beginning of a comeback tour? Or a stern reality check for a very young defense and aging offense?
    2023 Rams schedule
    WEEK DATE OPPONENT TIME (PT)
    Sept. 10
    1:25 p.m.
    Sept. 17
    1:05 p.m.
    Sept. 25
    5:15 p.m.
    Oct. 1
    10 a.m.
    Oct. 8
    Oct. 15
    Oct. 22
    Oct. 29
    10 a.m.
    Nov. 5
    10 a.m.
    BYE
    Nov. 19
    Nov. 26
    Dec. 3
    Dec. 10
    10 a.m.
    Dec. 17
    Dec. 21
    5:15 p.m.
    Dec. 31
    10 a.m.
    TBD
    TBD

Week 1 keys to victory

The Rams can take an early lead in the NFC West if they come out of the gate hot (read: the opposite of last year’s opener against Buffalo) against Seattle. A healthy quarterback Matthew Stafford and receivers Cooper Kupp and Van Jefferson would go a long way toward making them competitive — as would head coach Sean McVay getting back to his usual pattern of kicking the doors down on offense in season openers. It’ll be a tough environment in Seattle (and a hello again to Bobby Wagner).

Must-watch game: vs. Philadelphia Eagles, Week 5

In a year without many expectations, I’m selfishly picking this game because I believe it’ll be the biggest showcase of what a very rookie-heavy Rams defense has (or has not) learned and absorbed to that point. It’s going to be a litmus test for growth, against a searing-hot and very multiple Eagles offense.

Toughest stretch: Weeks 1-18

Yes, you read that correctly. Have I mentioned that the Rams have about 50 new rookies? OK, maybe Week 10 isn’t too bad (it’s the bye week). Dear subscribers, there will be bumps along the road this season.

Game that has gotten tougher: at Indianapolis Colts, Week 4

This does sort of predicate on whether Anthony Richardson is playing quarterback by this time, in fairness. The Rams’ defense will feature a lot of young players so they’ll have to play very disciplined even if Richardson is developing into the role, because of his ability to move the ball in the air or on the ground and his size.

One game the Rams can’t afford to lose: One of the 49ers games, Weeks 2 or 18

“Afford” is doing a lot of work here, as I’ll reiterate again that anything is gravy for a team entering the season without external expectations (internally they believe they’re going to surprise some people).

But man, would they love to take a game from San Francisco during the regular season.

Best offense the Rams will face: Philadelphia Eagles, Week 5

The Eagles are multiple (thanks in part to the abilities of Jalen Hurts and his surrounding cast), incredibly strong up front, physical and well-coached.

Best defense the Rams will face: San Francisco 49ers, Weeks 2 and 18

Top defenses almost always regress year over year, but the 49ers brought in Steve Wilks to take over from former defensive coordinator DeMeco Ryans and if I know anything about Wilks from my days in Carolina, he’ll have that group ready to go. It’s always a tough matchup for the Rams, on either side of the ball.

Predicted record: 7-10

It is legitimately absurd to attempt to predict a record for this team considering its roster turnover and what happened in 2022. But, the assignment is the assignment!

While the defensive side of the roster looks pretty concerning as it currently stands, if Stafford and Kupp can stay healthy, and the Rams can get back to a more balanced offensive attack (behind a less-tattered offensive line), I can see them winning seven or eight games. It’s OK to want this team to “tank” for Caleb Williams or Drake Maye, sure, but remember — McVay coaches this team, and I am telling you, he’s going to try to win every game (as will Stafford, Kupp and Aaron Donald).

Predicted NFC West finish: Third

There’s little reason to believe the 49ers won’t top the NFC West as they keep trying to capitalize on their Super Bowl contention window. Seattle’s offense looked strong in 2022 and could carry that forward. The Rams could surprise people (or not, who knows?!) but keeping them at No. 3 and the Cardinals at No. 4 for now seems safe.

zn

zn
    Blaine Grisak@bgrisakTST
    Four teams played in the Conference Championship games last January. The Rams play three of them in the first five weeks of the season…
    Week 2: vs. SF
    Week 3: @ CIN
    Week 5: vs. PHI
    Cameron DaSilva@camdasilva
    The Rams played 26 prime-time games from 2018-2022, but they’re only scheduled to play 2 night games in 2023
    They will be in Week 3 against the Bengals on Monday Night Football and in Week 16 against the Saints, a home game on Thursday Night Football. There are no Sunday Night Football games on the Rams’ schedule, nor will any of their six divisional matchups be in prime-time slots.
    zn

Billy_T
    Participant

Have you guys signed up for the new NFL Ticket, or going a different route?

I’m leaning toward just watching the few games that may show up in my area. I’m guessing four or so. A return of sorts to the old days when we had just two networks covering those games.

Used to get the Ticket until ATT cracked down on negotiating for a free year. Then dumped Directv altogether. Haven’t heard Youtube’s policies on discounts or freebies, but I kinda don’t even care at this point.

That schedule seems unduly tough, given their recent record. Jourdan guesses 7 and 10. Fits in with my 6-8 wins.

zn

I will do Sunday Ticket. It is my annual Christmas gift.

I hope the Rams suprise us but with that schedule, it ain’t gonna come easy.

canadaram
    Participant

Tough schedule to start. Wouldn’t shock me if the Rams were 1-4 or 0-5 when they face the Cardinals in week 6.

zn

zn

Zooey
    Participant

I find reading the options exhausting.

What is Sunday Ticket? Does it require a sat/cable subscription in order to pay even more to add it to the monthly package?

I looked at the YouTube thing, but didn’t read through it all. A page or two with multiple questions

zn

zn

Billy_T
    Participant

I find reading the options exhausting. What is Sunday Ticket? Does it require a sat/cable subscription in order to pay even more to add it to the monthly package? I looked at the YouTube thing, but didn’t read through it all. A page or two with multiple questions

Zooey,

Apologies if you already knew most or all of this already:

I really don’t know much about the new Youtube version. But the old Sunday Ticket was started by DirecTV roughly 25 years ago. It was basically the only way to watch out of market games “live” at home. They used to offer it for free to new customers for their satellite package . . . but they almost always gave it to existing customers, too, who threatened to cancel. I was successful at doing that for years, primarily cuz I really meant it. Cancellation for me wasn’t an empty ploy, etc. I could take the service or leave it, and I think their reps could tell. So they’d virtually always give it to me for free, or with a very deep discount, to keep me as a subscriber.

There was a running joke-thread on the old board for awhile, where posters would talk about how much they’d get from DirecTV in addition to the Sunday Ticket. Mortgage payments made, trips to Disney, etc. etc. Pretty funny. I think it started because one poster just couldn’t ever get anything from them, so we’d respond with ever more absurd freebies . . .

:>)

Anyway, all of that stopped not too long after ATT bought DirecTV. I could get Sunday Ticket for free early on, but then they cracked down, and just said “cancel, if you want to.” So I did.

Was hoping Apple might win the bidding war, cuz I had a feeling they’d offer it for a much lower cost, and probably for free with a purchase of some Mac product. I doubt Google will do anything like that. It’s just too expensive for me to ever pay in full.

zn

Billy_T
    Participant

Looking over the schedule, I think I’ve got just three games that are pretty much guaranteed to be on here. The rest are completely up in the air — or off it. Late games they may or may not broadcast. In my area, they usually don’t, but I’m occasionally, pleasantly surprised.

My other option is to wait a bit until NFL Pass reduces their prices and gives us the monthly choice. I think it was $9.95 per month last time.

Oh, well. Times change. It is the Not For Long league, as they say.

Billy_T
    Participant

ZN,

What’s your take on the schedule, as far as why it seems like they really stuck it to the Rams?

The folks at NFL Live rated the Rams as having the second toughest schedule — unless I misread their graph. I thought it was supposed to be based on W/L record. Um, well, the Rams were 5-12, or did the league forget that part?

zn

ZN, What’s your take on the schedule, as far as why it seems like they really stuck it to the Rams? The folks at NFL Live rated the Rams as having the second toughest schedule — unless I misread their graph. I thought it was supposed to be based on W/L record. Um, well, the Rams were 5-12, or did the league forget that part?

Not everyone is rating their schedule that tough, though it’s certainly not easy. PFF doesn’t even have it as a top 10 on their toughest schedules rankings.

The schedule is based on W/L but there are other factors. There’s the division, and there’s the AFC division they play. Those things are automatic, regardless of W/L.

One tough part is that they play 4 teams coming off of byes. But I’m not sure that’s deliberate on the league’s part. It seems more like the league doesn’t filter that kind of stuff out, as opposed to them deliberately setting teams up for that.

zn

wv
    Participant

First three weeks: Seahawks, 49ers, Bengals.

Damn.

I like it.

w

v

Zooey
    Participant

I find reading the options exhausting. What is Sunday Ticket? Does it require a sat/cable subscription in order to pay even more to add it to the monthly package? I looked at the YouTube thing, but didn’t read through it all. A page or two with multiple questions

Zooey, Apologies if you already knew most or all of this already: I really don’t know much about the new Youtube version. But the old Sunday Ticket was started by DirecTV roughly 25 years ago. It was basically the only way to watch out of market games “live” at home. They used to offer it for free to new customers for their satellite package . . . but they almost always gave it to existing customers, too, who threatened to cancel. I was successful at doing that for years, primarily cuz I really meant it. Cancellation for me wasn’t an empty ploy, etc. I could take the service or leave it, and I think their reps could tell. So they’d virtually always give it to me for free, or with a very deep discount, to keep me as a subscriber. There was a running joke-thread on the old board for awhile, where posters would talk about how much they’d get from DirecTV in addition to the Sunday Ticket. Mortgage payments made, trips to Disney, etc. etc. Pretty funny. I think it started because one poster just couldn’t ever get anything from them, so we’d respond with ever more absurd freebies . . . :>) Anyway, all of that stopped not too long after ATT bought DirecTV. I could get Sunday Ticket for free early on, but then they cracked down, and just said “cancel, if you want to.” So I did. Was hoping Apple might win the bidding war, cuz I had a feeling they’d offer it for a much lower cost, and probably for free with a purchase of some Mac product. I doubt Google will do anything like that. It’s just too expensive for me to ever pay in full.

Thanks. I knew it was originally part of a satellite package, but I lost the plot on that. I knew there were changes, but I was streaming the Rams, so I just didn’t track what was happening.

There was never any way I was going to subscribe to a monthly cable/satellite package because I don’t watch much except the Rams. I have an antenna that gets a surprising amount of channels, but I use it only when there is some local news I really want to watch, or a weather disaster, or something. Like…twice a year. I’m not paying $500 a year for some damn service I will use so little that I will never remember what channel is what.

Now it looks like they are trying to get everyone to subscribe to Amazon and Peacock and Satellite and Apple and Paramount+ and Fuckknows in order to watch the goddam games.

I don’t like streaming from Europe on some laggy bullshit link I have to find every week, and I would gladly pay for the privilege of watching a reliable, honest stream, but they’ve just made it a labyrinthine boondoggle. I can’t sort it out.

Eternal Ramnation
    Participant
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.