11 ways, that I, a white man, am not privileged

Recent Forum Topics Forums The Public House 11 ways, that I, a white man, am not privileged

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    wv
    Participant

List:https://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/11-ways-that-i-a-white-man-am-not-privileged

11 Ways That I, a White Man, Am Not Privileged
    MATT CARON

1. I didn’t grow up with a silver spoon.
    That’s right, I had to work for what I’m given. When I went to college, I worked hard for those grades. I didn’t get in on nothing, I took school seriously! I worked each day to pay my rent and my tuition.

2. I earned my job.
    You think it was easy to get to the job I have now? I didn’t just waltz into it. I had to work my way up to my current position. I came in on time, put in my hours and even had to hang out after work with people I despise. That’s how you make it in America.

3. I budgeted and saved my money.
    It’s easy to just spend all of your cash, but I put it into a savings account. Learn some self-discipline!

4. I fought against a history of social stigmas and systemic biases to get to claim the tiny space I occupy.
    Oh no, wait, this might be getting away from me.

5. I have been judged on name alone when applying to get my house and job.
    What? That’s not a thing. Is that a thing?

6. I had my entire life plotted out in statistics before I even began making my own decisions.
    Oh come on… is that… I’m just going to google for a second.

7. …
    Oh shit. I think I just figured it out. Uh…

8. I’m really sorry, this really wasn’t my intent.
    How do I check my privilege? Do I just tell people that look like they might not know that I’m privileged?

9. I don’t know how to fix this, money? I gave to Planned Parenthood, is that good?
    Who else? ACLU? Can I donate directly to Black Lives Matter? I don’t just give it to my Black friend, right? That seems weird.

10. I’ll just sit down, would you like to fill in the last one?

11. [Your answer here.]

zn

That’s good.

Billy_T
    Participant

Good follow up article to that. A review of two recent books. The article’s long, but well worth a look:

https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/choose-and-be-damned-responsibility-and-privilege-in-a-neoliberal-age/

Choose and Be Damned: Responsibility and Privilege in a Neoliberal Age

By Sean McCann

(Relatively) short excerpt:

JULY 2, 2017

WHEN KARL MARX envisioned the better world of the future, he imagined inscribed on its banners the slogan, “From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.” Our own world, Yascha Mounk observes, is governed by a different principle. Ours is an age of responsibility, Mounk contends, and the most prominent voices on left and right, in the realms of high theory and the byways of common sense, are united in the premise that individual people should determine their paths through life and bear the consequences. From each according to her desires, to each according to what she has earned. “We must do what America does best,” newly inaugurated President Clinton declared in 1993: “offer more opportunity to all and demand responsibility from all.”

At the heart of such reasoning, as Mounk’s important new book makes clear, has been a political vision nearly as utopian as anything in Marx — and one just as given to ideological zeal. Over the course of the past half century, Mounk points out, political officials of both major parties have turned repeatedly to the core value of personal responsibility, calling on it to redefine the purposes and design of government as well as pushing the state to play an ever more disciplinary role in relation to its most vulnerable citizens. They have been motivated, Mounk suggests, not merely by a political agenda, but by a fantasy of the just social order — a vision in which each individual person cares for herself and the government acts to ensure that citizens receive only the public support their efforts merit.

The dream, as Mounk reveals, is a narrow and crabbed one. Placed under his precise and dispassionate analysis, it shows itself to be conceptually dubious and empirically unworkable. But the fantasy has attracted plenty of influential adherents. Indeed, among the most troubling of Mounk’s arguments is the claim that the liberal defenders of the welfare state no less than its conservative antagonists have signed on to the dream of personal responsibility. No surprise, then, that a thin theory of individual agency has come to dominate our ideas about freedom and that an impoverished language of citizenship has crowded out alternative visions of democratic society.

Billy_T
    Participant

This section of the review is focused on the second book under discussion. Again, it’s worth the time to read the whole thing . . . and the two books sound well worth a look too:

The language of privilege, Bovy points out, battens on the contradictions between democratic ideology and structural inequality, and it flourishes where the pretenses to meritocracy are belied by the insularity, nepotism, and desperate striving for advantage that a rigidly hierarchical society encourages. “In an unjust society,” she notes, “small slights add up.” Where they irk and burn, the demand to “check your privilege” is ready to hand.

But, if the language of privilege has grown so rapidly because it is a way of addressing structural injustice, it is also the case, as Bovy points out, that, at least in its current usage, the discourse typically unfolds in highly individualistic terms. The focus, she points out, is relentlessly on “identity and personal experiences.” In this, the wider discourse follows the practice pioneered by Peggy McIntosh. We are asked not merely to recognize social injustice, but to respond first by working on ourselves — with the hope that unspecified political consequences will somehow follow from our deepened self-awareness.

One of Bovy’s major complaints is that those consequences do not often follow. Although the advocates of privilege discourse often speak of self-investigation and consciousness raising as halting first steps on a longer journey, the political strategies and organizations by which such insights might be converted into concrete action are rare. Quite typically, as Bovy notes, the language of privilege casts introspection as a good in itself. More frequently still, its defenders make the case for self-awareness by lambasting the smug or clumsy figures who haplessly reveal that they have failed to sufficiently confront their own advantages. When the accusation of privilege is most fiercely leveled, its target often appears to be less structural injustice itself than tactless people who reveal inequality too starkly. “Your privilege is showing,” Bovy remarks, has become something like a conventional gambit in the rituals of social media charivari, and she makes a compelling case that its most frequent victims (white women, crudely striving middle-class college aspirants, Asian Americans, Jews) are not in fact the most wealthy and powerful but rather people whose uncertain positions reveal the bald truth of social hierarchy. There’s “nothing wrong with being privileged,” a college admissions coach quoted by Bovy explains. “You just want to show that you have a realistic sense of the world and your place in it.”

wv
    Participant

good stuff, BT.

How goes life?

w
    v

wv
    Participant

PS — i had to look up this word from the article:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charivari

Interesting word.

w
    v

zn

As long as you’re “going there” look this term up too:

Moral economy
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moral_economy

….Thompson wrote of the moral economy of the poor in the context of widespread food riots in the English countryside in the late eighteenth century. According to Thompson these riots were generally peaceable acts that demonstrated a common political culture rooted in feudal rights to “set the price” of essential goods in the market. These peasants held that a traditional “fair price” was more important to the community than a “free” market price and they punished large farmers who sold their surpluses at higher prices outside the village while there were still those in need within the village.

Billy_T
    Participant

good stuff, BT.

How goes life?

w
    v

It is, WV.

Doing fine. I recently started on a new novel, and when it’s finished, it will be my fourth completed since I went into semi-retirement. It’s my first foray into a ghost story. The idea is that the ghost comes back to the scene of the crime and works to solve the mystery of her death with her husband and her lover. They’re the only two people who can see her.

Anyway . . . also wanted to say thanks for the Lierre Keith video. I really liked it. She’s sharp, direct, gets right to it, and I agree with the vast majority of her model, though I think there’s more “blending” going on than she seems to acknowledge. A voice worth me looking into. Did not know about her before.

Hope all is well with you, WV.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.