Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
Billy_TParticipantI took it like this:
It makes no sense to ask yes or no to two different positions at the same time. They need to be asked separately to make any sense.
Are you a capitalist, yes or no?
Are you a socialist, yes or no?But not together. That’s like asking are you left or right handed, yes or no.
The second level of dumb is asking people if they’re a capitalist or not. So few Americans are, it’s always going to be misleading and erroneous when a majority answers yes. What they really mean to say is that they support the capitalist system, not that they qualify as being a capitalist.
You aren’t a capitalist if you don’t have capital, and very few people have it. You then have to invest that capital in a business venture, purchasing labor power to produce commodities for sale, the surplus value of which you appropriate for yourself, as if you did all the work.
Roughly speaking, less than 3% of the country can accurately claim to be “capitalists.”
March 16, 2019 at 2:00 pm in reply to: tweets + other bits … 3/15 … including on Bortles visits Rams #99000
Billy_TParticipantOn Bortles:
I’m all for the signing. They need to do it. He’s been a starter, and the Rams currently have no one who can win games against good teams behind Goff.
I also like the idea of coaching him up, giving him some games to shine in, and then trading him later for draft picks. In fact, I think the Rams should have QBs for that every year. Develop them, trade them at their “peak,” have another waiting in the wings. At least as long as Goff is QB1.
March 16, 2019 at 1:55 pm in reply to: tweets + other bits … 3/15 … including on Bortles visits Rams #98999
Billy_TParticipant“[W]e’ve talked a little bit about the flexibility that Michael Brockers does give you to play nose and five,” Snead said. “Then it gets into, do we add anybody else during free agency or the draft? And what his flexibility allows you to do is to pick the best player and not necessarily, ‘We’ve got to have a nose tackle,’ because, hey, maybe the best five technique will move down. So it does give you some flexibility and that’s what we are going to do there.”
that settles it.
it’s either lawrence or tillery with the first pick.
I’ve never understood the Rams’ seeming reluctance to stick a true hogmolly in the middle, especially given their relatively small linebackers.
Someone like Lawrence would take up serious space, open things up for Donald, and protect the linebackers too — give them room to move.
Donald is likely the best D player in the league, and maybe by a good margin, but he obviously can’t do it all himself. He needs help. A 6’4″, 342 immovable object would go a long, long way in providing that.
Phillips, of course, doesn’t run a traditional 34, but the current personnel on the D require a traditional hogmolly like Ngata or Wolfork in their primes. They would be the pivot point for the D and set the table for everyone else to run amok.
And, because I’m a very greedy fan, I want that plus a tall, fast-twitch, scary-fast edge rusher to pair with Fowler too.
This year, the draft probably only gets the Rams one of those things. DT is a great place to start.
Billy_TParticipantI haven’t read those books, Billy. They do look interesting so when I get a chance I will check them out.
Cool. Would really like to hear your take. ZN talked about them a bit. He has a much better background in science than I do. But, unless I’m mistaken, you’re an actual scientist in real life, so your view would be a great addition.
Billy_TParticipantSlightly OT:
Did you see my recommendations for two very recent science books?
Have you read them and do you know the authors? Both focus primarily on evolutionary science.
The Tangled Tree, by David Quammen
The Goodness Paradox, by Richard Wrangham.Both are seriously fascinating. My guess is someone with a science background would get even more out of them.
https://www.simonandschuster.com/books/The-Tangled-Tree/David-Quammen/9781476776620
Billy_TParticipantI don’t want Jachai Polite in the First.
Too slow, too short, seems to have a bad attitude, at least from what we’ve been told. Which may be unfair to the guy, but who knows?
I’d rather they just stick with the guys already on the roster than go for another undersized edge. Obo and Ebukam are both faster. Though I really don’t know what to make of the latter.
He tested at sub 4.5, but plays slower than that. The eye-ball test for me is that he gained too much weight to better handle bigger O-line guys, and lost a step or two.
Still, he had one of the most dominant games I’ve ever seen, against KC. Or was it another team?
Anyway . . . if he could crush it in one game, that means he has the potential for much more.
IMO, if they can’t find someone 6’4″ or taller, with serious speed and a very quick step, go in another direction. DT would be the most logical, in my view.
Can’t help but be a bit worried about the defense so far. I have confidence in the O. Not the D. But even the O needs work along the line, and for McVay to really surprise opponents with varied personnel packages.
If they do, I think the Super Bowl again is the likely end story.
Billy_TParticipantTorn labrum? Wow. I have one now. It’s freakin painful just to reach for a book. The range of motion is seriously limited.
I can’t imagine having to play on the defensive line with that injury.
. . .
Was hoping the Rams would get Morse. It may well be that their cap space is too small to add anyone until a few more rounds of signings.
Not really unhappy they lost Joyner. But losing Saffold, if it happens, will hurt that line. He’s probably their best run-blocker and is seriously stout. Might be the strongest guy on the team.
They probably needed to re-sign Fowler, but as mentioned above, that won’t change the need for getting another edge or two.
It likely won’t come to this, but I’d be seriously conflicted if Lawrence and Burns were there for the Rams at #31. I’d love to have both of them on the team and it would be hard to choose. Probably Burns, by a nose. If they get Shelton, that makes the decision easier.
They have more holes to fill than I had hoped.
Billy_TParticipantZN,
The author talks a lot about dogs versus wolves. Basically says dogs are domesticated wolves, which makes sense.
The fascinating thing is the physical changes too, via evolution. Floppy ears, generally smaller faces, less difference between male and female, smaller bones.
Of course, with dog breeds, this becomes much more complicated.
The author also talks about the scientist, Belyaev, who experimented with wild minks. He and his assistants began to separate minks that seemed less aggressive and okay with humans, from those who weren’t, bred them, tracked them, and noted the behavioral and physical changes. Because mink generations are relatively short, they could see this over the course of decades.
Much tougher to be certain with Home Sapiens, of course, but there are noticeable physical changes between us and Neanderthal, which the author sees as the next best comparison to our ancient ancestors prior to Homo Sapiens. We don’t have floppy ears yet, but perhaps that’s coming!
;>)
I wish I had a better background in science, and enjoy talking about this stuff with those who do. Books like the two I mention really help me extend the knowledge base.
March 10, 2019 at 11:01 am in reply to: The A. Brown saga … Buffalo? … 3/10 update: it's AB to the Raiders #98709
Billy_TParticipantI think his on the field production warrants a First Rounder, clearly.
His age, perhaps, knocks that down to a Second.
His public comments knocks that down to a Third.
The Raiders got a “steal,” if AB let’s his play on the field do his talking.
Billy_TParticipantI think Fowler is much better than what they have behind him on the depth chart, but I also think he’s an underachiever, and will likely remain so. I don’t see him as ever being dominant, and I don’t think opposing OCs “fear” him.
Just my gut, and I hope I’m wrong.
Of course, if it were easy to find great edge rushers who alter games, every team would have them. But I sure would love the Rams to find one to pair with AD. Two, preferably.
And this may be neurotic worrying of sorts, but AD isn’t getting younger. He’ll be 28 for the upcoming season. So, the Rams can’t mess around when it comes to finding him serious help — now. He also plays like a crazy person every game, and I don’t see him taking downs off, like a typical DT.
In short, the Future is Now for the Rams when it comes to this.
Am still hoping for Dexter Lawrence in the Draft, or Brian Burns. Neither, however, is likely to be there at 31.
Billy_TParticipantAnd then there’s this: Dore blasts mainstream reporters from the comfort of his video room. But these same reporters receive death threats constantly for their reporting — here and overseas. Trump, at his rallies, for instance, points them out and they get death threats.
All over the world, reporters face this, and many are actually killed. It happens often in Russia.
Yeah, corporate media steer them away from investigations into selected corporations. And that’s terrible for all of us. But it’s far too easy for someone like Jimmy Dore, whom no one sees as a threat to power, to slam them, having never walked in their moccasins.
Do I wish they could report the truth, without restraint? Of course. I despise our capitalist system and its effects. But I think it’s immensely unfair, and naive, to suggest that reporters who write stories critical of the most powerful man on earth are necessarily cowards and just doing the bidding of plutocrats and oligarchs. They’re actually going against a large set of plutocrats and oligarchs in the process. What they do is dangerous, and trashing it doesn’t help one single poor person on earth, or the earth itself.
Billy_TParticipantI agree with Dore and Palast about Venezuela, and election fraud. It’s all 2+2=4. But Dore frustrates the hell out of me on the Russia question. He just doesn’t take his own advice about “looking down the street,” and he’s never been able to make the case that “People are after X (Trump), because he or she is helping the poor, or POCs, etc. etc.” He hasn’t tried to, of course, cuz it would be ludicrous.
Investigating Russia’s interference in the election, and Trump’s corruption there and elsewhere, in no way aids some grand conspiracy to help the ruling class or the power elite or makes anyone richer. Russia is a far-right oligarchy, to our center-right oligarchy. Holding them, and Trump, to account doesn’t alter this, doesn’t serve any “Masters,” doesn’t help the oppressed in any way, shape or form.
And, it can’t be some pretext to war, like the lies in the run-up to Iraq, Afghanistan, and now Iran and Venezuela . . . because America isn’t ever going to go to war against Russia. It would mean the end of the world.
Dore also ignores the hundreds of times Trump, his family, and his surrogates have lied about dealings with Russia. We know this, because we have this on tape. We’ve seen them go from “There were no dealings with Russia” to “Well, we had a few,” to “Well, there were many but they were all innocent,” to “Well, yeah, they happened but none of that is illegal.”
Our corporate media do suck. But when it comes to the Russia investigation, they keep revealing truths and forcing Trump and his team to admit them, eventually. If there were some grand conspiracy to manufacture this, why is it continually being proven to be true? Why is there overwhelming evidence to support that it happened, much of which Trump and company had admitted to?
Billy_TParticipantI hope Brockers takes Suh’s spot, but adds some weight in the off-season. I think he played too slim last year.
I’m also hoping they draft Dexter Lawrence from Clemson, and work him into the rotation. He’s my first choice for #31, with Brian Burns being the second. Unfortunately, it may well be that both players are already gone.
I’ll be disappointed if they go Safety or Center there, unless the players at those spots are the obvious BPA/value. Would rather they fix those issues via FA, though.
Want the Rams to get lucky and find an elite-level DT or Edge. IMO, the draft is the best way to get there and, generally speaking, the least costly.
March 7, 2019 at 11:56 am in reply to: I'm Jewish & Hypocrisy of Republican Islamophobes on Ilhan Omar is Breathtaking #98619
Billy_TParticipantCoupla more useful articles — at the risk of a kind of counter-piling on . . .
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/mar/06/ilhan-omar-weaponisation-of-anti-semitism
It contains an article to yet another good one, with a link to a video of her comments. It’s a very long URL, so I shortened it:
https://preview.tinyurl.com/y2qbjufa
In my view, nothing she said was anti-Semitic, inaccurate, much less “hate-filled.” And the uproar over her comments have literally endangered Omar and Tlaib. They’re getting constant death threats.
Soooo pissed off at the Dems for caving to the GOP on this one. They should have rallied around her. Stood tall, unified, etc.
March 6, 2019 at 10:30 am in reply to: I'm Jewish & Hypocrisy of Republican Islamophobes on Ilhan Omar is Breathtaking #98592
Billy_TParticipantExcellent article by Paul Waldman on the same subject:
The dishonest smearing of Ilhan Omar
Excerpt:
In what is surely the most shameful decision of her current term as speaker, Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) has decided that the time has come for the House to rebuke Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-Minn.) for things she didn’t actually say, and ideas she didn’t actually express. In the process, Pelosi and other Democrats are helping propagate a series of misconceptions about anti-Semitism, Israel, and U.S. political debate.
I’m going to try to bring some clarity to this issue, understanding how difficult it can be whenever we discuss anything that touches on Israel.
To be clear, I do this as someone who was raised in an intensely Zionist family with a long history of devotion and sacrifice for Israel, but who also — like many American Jews — has become increasingly dismayed not only by developments in Israel but by how we talk about it here in the United States.
In the latest round of controversy, Omar said during a town hall, regarding U.S. policy toward Israel, “I want to talk about the political influence in this country that says it is okay for people to push for allegiance to a foreign country.” This comment was roundly condemned by members of Congress and many others for being anti-Semitic. Rep. Eliot L. Engel (D-N.Y.) called her statement “a vile anti-Semitic slur” and accused her of questioning “the loyalty of fellow American citizens.”
Pelosi then announced that the House would vote on a resolution which, while not mentioning Omar by name, is clearly meant as a condemnation of her. It contains multiple “whereas” statements about the danger of accusing Jews of “dual loyalty.”
So let’s talk about this idea of “dual loyalty,” and how it does and doesn’t relate to Omar’s comments. For many years, Jews were routinely accused of having dual loyalty, to both the United States and Israel, as a way of questioning whether they were truly American and could be trusted to do things such as serve in sensitive national security positions.
That charge was anti-Semitic, because it was used to allege that every Jew was suspect, no matter what they thought about Israel, and that they could not be fully American because they were assumed to have too much affection for another country. It wasn’t about the particulars of U.S. policy or what Jews at the time were advocating; it was about who they (allegedly) were, their identity.
Now, back to Omar. Here’s the truth: The whole purpose of the Democrats’ resolution is to enforce dual loyalty not among Jews, but among members of Congress, to make sure that criticism of Israel is punished in the most visible way possible. This, of course, includes Omar. As it happens, this punishment of criticism of Israel is exactly what the freshman congresswoman was complaining about, and has on multiple occasions. The fact that no one seems to acknowledge that this is her complaint shows how spectacularly disingenuous Omar’s critics are being.
You may have noticed that almost no one uses “dual loyalty” as a way of questioning whether Jews are loyal to the United States anymore. Why has it almost disappeared as an anti-Semitic slur? Because, over the last three decades, support for Israel has become increasingly associated with conservative evangelicals and the Republican Party.
Billy_TParticipantSo I think Bernie Sanders…who is SO far to the Left that he is practically Dwight Eisenhower…is the likely nominee.
I like that. It’s amazing, isn’t it? AOC is calling for 70% on money made above 10 million. Ike had a top rate of 91% on money made above 200K. Of course, that’s likely in the millions after inflation by now, though it’s pretty difficult to make exact translations between 1960 and today. But his top rate was higher, regardless. AOC’s proposal supposedly makes her a “commie.”
Sheesh.
Another irony. Warren used to be a Republican.
Agree about the Hegelian dialect thing too. Though I wonder how that will impact 2020, exactly. I knew, for instance, before the 2016 election, that it was madness to run another Clinton, a dynasty candidate, the insider’s insider, when the electorate was in such an anti-establishment mood. Well, that is, anti-establishment for Americans, which usually just means voting for yet another elite/member of the ruling class, etc. So will they be pining for one of the old guard to make them feel comfortable again after the madness of Trump?
Billy_TParticipantBecause the Lakers are the only team in the NBA that actually matters.
Dude, Paula Abdul is no longer a cheerleader, Jack Nicholson and Diane Cannon no longer have their butts in the Forum….
Dr Buss is dead and so are the Lakers.. they won’t even make the 8th seed this year……
without searching DUCK DUCK GO, Does anyone even know the name of the current Laker Head Coach? I’ll give you a clue, he was a Warrior assistant and his dad won a ring as a back up center vs Paula Abdul;’s showtime team……
BTW I do hope the Lakers make the 8th seed so the Warriors can sweep them…….. these are not Chris Mullens nor Sleepy Floyd’s Warrior teams….
Listen. Your bitterness and envy have left your soul a mere cinder. I see it all the time.
You know, deep in that ashpit of a heart, that you will not live to see the Warriors hang their 16th Championship banner in the rafters – as I have done with the Lakers.
I say this as a diehard Lakers’ fan, as already mentioned:
Yes, they’ll likely be stuck in mediocrity, because of their “win now at all cost” mentality. For far too long, they’ve been drafting poorly when they do have an early pick, and trade too much away for aging veterans. Yes, they choose well late in the 1st and early 2nd, but they keep blowing lottery picks (Lonzo), or let them walk for nothing (Randle).
It’s likely the fan-base is driving them to do this. That fan-base refuses to accept rebuilding phases, even when their necessity is beyond obvious.
I want them to build the team with a young core, and find key vets to balance this out. How much longer does LeBron even want to play, much less with his current level of excellence? While he is supposedly crazy good about keeping in shape, Father Time never loses, especially in a sport like basketball.
I would, however, sell the farm for one player: Giannis Antetokounmpo. He’s just 24, and he’s getting better all the time.
Billy_TParticipantForgot to add:
The Dems also make a huge mistake — those who do this, rather — when they try to side with neocons who happen to be Never Trumpers too. Omar was correct in her condemnation of Abrams, the war criminal.
Too bad the Dem leadership isn’t “woke” when it comes to economics, war and empire. The first political party that pushes a truly enlightened vision on all those fronts (including the culture wars) will own the future.
Billy_TParticipantI was soooo pizzed off the way the Dems, with minor reservations, threw Omar under the bus. She said nothing wrong, and nothing “anti-Semitic” in the slightest.
Apparently, it’s now verbotten to be critical of lobbying groups, even lobbying groups for other countries. Well, certain countries, that is.
OMG!! She said AIPAC has undue influence on American politicians!! Get the smelling salts and where’s my fainting couch!!
Personally, I’d ban any lobbying group from DC that directly or indirectly sends money to any Congress critter, via bundling or any other means. No exceptions. Individual donations only, capped at $250. All bundling, of any kind, would be against the law.
Want to influence law-makers? Write an Op-Ed. Use diplomatic channels with full transparency all citizens can see. But no backroom meetings. No closed-door meetings of any kind.
The Dems should have stuck by Omar and told the GOP to fuck off.
Billy_TParticipantI agree with most of that. But I like Reynold’s game more than you do, it appears.
Yes, he’s inconsistent, and that’s a problem. But, to me, he’s flashed real skilz at times, especially running after the catch. While he doesn’t always show this, he can run with a kind of violence that the other receivers lack. And he has height, which all but Kupp lack. To me, he’s a solid #3, and an excellent #4.
Cooks? We’ve discussed this before, and I think you and I are basically on the same page here. Though I may see him as more problematic on contested passes than you do. To me, he’s actually a liability in those situations. He almost never comes down with those passes, and this opens up more potential for interceptions, etc.
He does a lot of other things really, really well, and obviously has speed to burn. I just wish he could high point the football and come down with it. That would turn him into one of the best deep threats in the league. As it stands, he’s dangerous on deep routes, but only if he’s actually “open.”
IMO, the Rams should be looking for receivers who excel at those jump balls. They can be found even later in the draft, or in FA, without breaking the bank. They can’t be, of course, if they combine that skill set with others, pushing them into the #1 receiver type, etc.
Billy_TParticipantI can see how it would be annoying to fans of other teams. All of this attention. But most of it is negative attention these days. The media turned fairly quickly on LeBron, for instance, it seems. Lots of talk about how no one wants to join the Lakers because he’s there. Same thing was said about Kobe. And they haven’t even made the playoffs in years.
I’ve followed them as a diehard fan since the days of West and Baylor, even before they got Wilt. It wasn’t always like this — the negative attention, etc. Ironically, I think they received less attention back in the day when they were actually a far better franchise. I really don’t like the way they’ve been run the last coupla of decades.
For instance, I’d rather see them build a team for the long haul. I don’t like the strategy of finding aging superstars for a last hurrah. Prefer the idea of “home grown” development . . . of course, with key additions here and there. But without trades that mortgage the future. And the Lakers, especially during the Kobe era, did way too much of that. Traded away umpteen draft picks for a Steve Nash or some other “past his prime” vet.
Not a fan of that.
The Lakers may be unique in this regard, though: They likely have the least patient fan base in the NBA. They feel entitled to win now, and next year, and the year after. Me? As long as they’re working toward contending, I’m good.
Billy_TParticipantThanks, Sun/Camus.
I second ZN. That was excellent. You basically spelled (it all) out, from the POV of the QB, as opposed to us chair-potatoes.
;>)
I also liked that you said the wideout has a chance to make the QB look a lot better. Great receivers earn their paychecks when they do that. They do the same when they win contested passes, otherwise known as 50/50, etc. etc.
(I was a lot better at catching passes facing the QB. Not the best in the world at catching bombs over my shoulder, in stride, etc.)
I think Cooks struggles with the jump balls. IMO, he’s an excellent receiver otherwise, and has speed to burn plus a lot of guts. But he’s just not the guy who’s going to consistently come down with those jump balls. I want the Rams to find one of those . . . You know. Seven feet two inches, size 15 hands, 350 pounds, with a 55 inch vert and 4.1 speed in the forty.
Shouldn’t be too tough to find, right?
Billy_TParticipantI’d like to see people also discussing the merits of billionaires making tens of thousands of times more than their rank and file overseas, and hundreds or thousands more than their rank and file here.
How did they “earn” this? Can one human being possibly do the work of so many people? No. Perhaps two or three others? Yes. But not consistently over time. They’d burnout.
Not to mention all the people who contributed to that moment over time, going back even centuries if it’s tech, or medicine, or engineering, etc. etc. Not to mention the millions of people who contributed tax dollars for public infrastructure, without which no business owner could ever bring his or her goods to market. Public currency, courts, R and D, trade agreements, police, fire and rescue, military power to keep the shipping lanes free, and literally trillions of dollars in bailouts worldwide just since 1970 . . . .
So with all of these generations involved, and all of these humans involved, directly and indirectly, has there ever been any “merit” in one human, or a group of executives, taking for themselves the lion’s share?
Um, no. Billionaires shouldn’t exist, ever, but not just because of their effects once they have all of that money. They shouldn’t be allowed in the first place because no human being can possibly ever “earn” all of that loot on their own. It can only be gathered via theft. Actual theft.
Billy_TParticipantAnother key thing they seem to be missing:
The structure of the capitalist system, with its top down, autocratic, authoritarian set up, modifies our minds and indoctrinates us from Day One into obeying authority. It teaches us, whether we realize this or not, to obey the boss. This can’t help but infect the political realm, unconsciously or consciously. It can’t help but make us far more docile and passive and far less likely to rise up and overthrow the bosses — inside or outside the economic realm. And because, in the modern world, capitalism follows us everywhere, it’s pretty hard to escape that realm even when we’re not at work, or when we go on vacation. It’s still there, surrounding us with its messages that basically say, “Obey the boss and you, too, can have this car, this TV, this new pair of shoes!!”
In short, the economic system works 24/7 to turn us all into good little subjects who have no desire to change the system that turns us into good little subjects.
Billy_TParticipantEven the “progressives” who note that the existence of billionaires is wrong . . . even they don’t seem to get the obvious answer, and the obvious root of the problem.
The root is the capitalist system itself — or any economic system that allows one person to own all the production of others, as if they did all the work themselves. Any system that makes this the legal standard is immoral and should not exist.
Any system that says, “Hey, Jane, did you know it’s legal for you to hire thousands of workers and then own and control everything they do, all their creative work, all their production, all the surplus value they generate, as if you, Jane, as if you did all the work yourself — the work of thousands, which would be impossible.”
The system itself must be abolished, and it can’t be replaced but some alternative that ends up doing the same thing, like Lenin’s state capitalism. The only way to end inequality is to fully democratize the workplace, and extend democracy to include the entire economy. The only way to end inequality is to make the stakeholders — we the people — the owners, co-equals, co-owners, with equal shares in the fruits of our labor.
Billy_TParticipantthe rams were definitely in it until the end.
i just think mcvay has to have an answer when the 3 wr formations aren’t working. shoulda gone with more 2 tight end sets.
I agree with that. You may have seen this from me earlier, but I think McVay should mix up his personnel packages, especially when the O seems clogged up and Goff is getting pounded. Two tight ends, definitely. But, I’d bring in an extra lineman or two for another package. Seven linemen, two wideouts. Six and two. Seven and two TEs, etc. etc.
Mix it up. They struggled against strong defenses with great passrushers. To me, that’s when you bring in jumbo personnel. I would, from that set, still seek to throw off the D and pass when they’re thinking run, or vice versa. I do find fault with McVay’s sameness of personnel packages. It worked well for most of the season, but the Rams should always keep the other team guessing . . .
I hope to see variety in 2019.
Billy_TParticipantExpanding on the coaching thing a bit more: I thought the game itself was awful, from the standpoint of just football. If my team weren’t in the game, and I tried to watch it, I would have turned it off before half time.
One can argue whether or not Belichick has, in the past, been an amazing coach, this or that Sunday. But when both sides play relatively lousy football for the majority of the game, I don’t buy the argument that he was “a genius” in that particular game. Or even good. He wasn’t — and that’s if we just go by the results, if we accept the premise that the coach gets the credit for what his team produces on the field.
What did his team produce? A boring, low-scoring, mistake-filled game, matched by a slightly worse game by the opposition.
As mentioned above, I’ve never really bought into that premise about coaches, and have always seen the players are far more important, win or lose. Credit or blame. But it strikes me as a contradictory argument, which I heard almost across the board on the sports shows, from pretty much every pundit, that Belichick proved his genius yet again.
How? His team played poorly overall. The Rams were slightly worse overall. That’s a pretty low bar for “genius” or even “greatness” in my view. The least lousy of the two teams on that particular Sunday?
Billy_TParticipant. the difference between mcvay and belichick might largely just be experience. then again i think the rams struck oil with mcvay. he’s potentially special.
I think it’s pretty clear McV was completely outcoached. The Patz superbowl D was designed to contain what the Rams offense did best and McV did not respond with effective adjustments. That’s coaching.
My own take is that the coaching was a draw. Poor execution by the Rams cost them the game.
Let’s say we keep the coaching choices the same, by both sides. But, instead of Cooks dropping a TD, he makes the catch. Instead of Goff taking way too long to throw to Cooks on the other play — and throwing it to his right instead of his left — he makes the throw on time for the TD.
And, instead of throwing a truly dumb pass, that ended up being an interception, he throws it out of bounds.
Of course, if he had thrown the earlier TDs, that last ditch pass wouldn’t have been necessary.
There were, of course, countless missed blocks by the O-line, and missed blitz pickups by both Rams backs.
Execution. Execution. Execution.
The D played really well, so it’s far less an issue of execution for them, but there were several missed tackles all the same. Long runs by the Pats resulted.
I’d say the coaching on both sides was, overall, subpar and uninspired. No one, IMO, clearly outcoached the other person. I’d give them both C grades, tops.
The Rams players didn’t come through on the field, when it counted. To me, that made the difference in a very close game.
Billy_TParticipantInvader,
Lotsa goods points from you, as always. And your use of the word “sync” made me think about a vital role of an NFL coach. Kinda like a conductor of an orchestra. He has to get his talent to mesh, work in harmony, “conduct” that, etc. etc. The best coaches may well be the best conductors.
Agree on the basketball stuff. With just five guys on the court, yeah, one player can really take over. Not sure if you noticed my comment on the Lakers going after Anthony Davis . . . but they must really believe one player can make all the difference too . . . well, at least when paired with Lebron. Might be forgetting other instances in the NFL where a team was willing to mortgage everything for one bloke, but right now, it evades me, outside the Ricky Williams and Herschel Walker trades.
To wrap things up: I’m not saying coaches, coaching, staff, position coaches and the like aren’t crucial. They’re very important to the success of the team. But, as mentioned, I just put a lot more on the players, one way or another, and I just think the “genius” thing is thrown around a bit too often.
I hate to admit it, but, yeah, Belichick is really, really good at what he does. As you mention, perhaps the best. Not ready to say he’s the GOAT, though his record says he is. That, of course, is another subject, another set of questions, entirely, maybe for another thread? Is it really proof, ultimately, that someone is the best coach ever because they have the most rings? I’m guessing most fans would say yes.
As you may have guessed by now, I’m not in that camp.
;>)
Great talking with ya, Invader. Hope all is well.
February 6, 2019 at 10:56 am in reply to: do you have doubts about Goff? cause this is a continuing issue in Ramsland #97874
Billy_TParticipantafter starting 0-7, Goff has gone 24-7 (24-14) career with 2 playoff wins and 2 playoff losses.
Goff has consistently shown growth….
not many could pull off what Goff did in New Orleans and if Cooks makes those 2 catches in the endzone during the Super Bowl…. the Rams win.
I’m very happy with Goff….
Joe Mad,
Good points all.
And those two missed catches by Cooks . . . one of which — or was it on both — included a “no-call” that went the Pats’ way . . . Well, to me, that’s just yet another reason not to shout “Belichick is a genius!”
As poorly as the Rams played overall, they were still in the game nearly to the end, and just a coupla plays from winning it.
I just don’t see that as “genius” on behalf of the other team, and I think the Rams’ lost the Super Bowl. The Pats didn’t win it, IMO.
-
AuthorPosts

