Forum Replies Created

Viewing 30 posts - 1,261 through 1,290 (of 4,331 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Dealing with the BNMW crowd #113380
    Avatar photoBilly_T
    Participant

    Another one of my pet peeves.

    We should all be highly skeptical of media, all media. Not just the MSM. We should all do our best to corroborate, fact-check, etc. That includes what we see from niche sources. Reading widely and deeply is probably our best response to media noise/lies. Diversity, etc. No bubbles. No silos.

    IMO, it’s a mistake to ignore the MSM, even though it’s biased on behalf of the establishment, and frustratingly so. It’s a mistake, IMO, to rely solely on those niche sources. It shouldn’t be an either/or. Both/and is better.

    I actually think niche-reliance can give us a false sense of the two-party system. My own take is that those niche sources can oftentimes blur the differences via a “a pox on both houses” POV, and a failure to report the daily tic/toc events. The sentiment is understandable, and it floods my own thoughts all too often. But it can bring on its own fog as well.

    /End of rant.

    in reply to: Dealing with the BNMW crowd #113379
    Avatar photoBilly_T
    Participant

    I also wonder sometimes at what strikes me as greater leftist anger toward the Dems than the GOP. I understand a good bit of this, but not all. It’s likely the sense that the Dems should be championing at least some of the thing we leftists want, but most often don’t. We know the GOP won’t, so, subconsciously, perhaps, we let them off the hook. We feel betrayed by the Dems. We just take it for granted that the GOP does what it does. So leftist anger is often more focused on the Dems, etc.

    Kinda sorta almost like this:

    The Rams draft DE Smith in Round One. He never plays up to his draft-spot or his hype, but he’s a decent starter, and relatively productive overall.

    The Rams draft DE Jones in Round Six. He outplays his draft-spot but he’s not as productive as Smith — in any phase of the game. All too many fans bash Smith endlessly, and call for him to be cut and replaced by Jones. They aren’t critical of Jones at all, really, even though Smith has outplayed him consistently. Smith just hasn’t lived up to his spot or hype.

    in reply to: Dealing with the BNMW crowd #113378
    Avatar photoBilly_T
    Participant

    Some singing to the choir here, but, oh well.

    If we measure the two parties against independent principles, expectations, metrics of decency, democratic representation — humane, ethical, moral, environmental, etc. etc. . . . they both fail utterly. Epically. Dangerously. It seems beyond self-evident that neither party should hold any power, given their histories. Certain individuals within those parties? Yeah. But not the parties themselves.

    That said, they do. It’s pretty much just them. The duopoly. We have two choices, when we should have countless.

    If we measure them against each other, however, the dynamic changes radically, at least for me. The Republicans are simply far, far worse. It’s just not close. And Trump is far worse than the typical Republican. Again, it’s just not close. So if we measure them against each other, IMO, and not independent standards of decency, morality, ethics, democratic representation, etc. . . . leftists shouldn’t have a major quandary in 2020. As lousy as Biden is, he’s head and shoulders better than Trump and the Republicans. He and his party are head and shoulders better than Trump and his.

    Some recent examples regarding important differences. Trump has suspended our already all too weak protections for immigrants/migrants, via executive fiat. He’s taking advantage of this national emergency to grab more power and enact his fascist agenda. Biden and the Dems wouldn’t have done that. He’s also rolled back even more environmental protections. The Dems wouldn’t have done that. He’s stepping up hard-line “law and order” efforts regarding drugs and sanctions in the middle of a pandemic. Again, the Dems wouldn’t have done that. And he and the GOP are ramping up even more nation-wide voter suppression efforts. Again, the Dems, etc. etc.

    And Trump’s grotesque response to Covid-19 will literally mean tens of thousands of Americans die/died needlessly. The Dems would have handled this a thousand times better.

    In my view, our own vote matters very close to nada. I don’t fetishize it the way a lot of the Vote Blue No Matter Who crowd seems to. But collectively? Yeah, it matters. Obviously. Individual votes for Greens, which I’ve cast too? Basically meaningless, especially in states where the Dem is a lock. But I would hate to think a collective leftist response would help Trump win reelection.

    It’s wrong to blame us for 2016. It infuriates me when Dem diehards trot out that bogus card. But it is possible we could have that impact in 2020. That would be tragic.

    in reply to: MMQB: To prevent future pandemics #113335
    Avatar photoBilly_T
    Participant

    I dunno how to prevent them. But i know that if the government made a lot less bombs and Imperialism, and diverted the money into public-health, we’d all be more…healthy. And safe.

    I keep seeing mainstreamers noticing that ‘more people have died now, than during 9-11.’

    I’m glad they are noticing that. Maybe they will start making connections. Putting two and two together. Figuring it out.

    Nah. They wont.

    w
    v

    All of that is too true about where taxpayer dollars go, and where they should go.

    I wish people would make another deduction too, one that seems beyond obvious to me:

    The capitalist system is especially useless during a catastrophe like this, and actually led to it in the first place — for a host of reasons.

    On a fundamental level, any economic system that makes the personal accrual of wealth paramount is going to fail the vast majority of people. It can’t help but do that. Any economic system with an end goal of wealth concentration is guaranteed to fail the vast majority of humanity. What is produced is merely a means to that end in that case. It doesn’t matter what it is. Shit on a stick, if it sells. Anything to get rich.

    I wish people would at least consider other end goals: the health, safety and welfare of all, for instance. Meeting the needs of all. Solving crises for all. Preventing new crises. And the creation of more, actual free time.

    People and the planet first, last and always.

    In short, the end goal should be the general welfare and a sustainable planet for all. Making more and more money as the end goal is just flat out insane.

    in reply to: MMQB: To prevent future pandemics #113332
    Avatar photoBilly_T
    Participant

    no more hugging?

    eventually. the matrix is coming… and we’ll all be isolated in our own individual pods… but then we’ll have to worry about computer viruses…

    seriously though. this could very well change the way society operates.

    in a lot of ways hopefully good. human encroachment. destruction of ecosystems. factory farming. yeah. hopefully, those things change.

    i also worry that it could change some things for the worse. what that is? i don’t know right now. but you know humans will find a way to screw it up somehow.

    Looks like I did a poor job expressing my thoughts. By retrofitting to “no touch” in public places, I didn’t mean Person to Person. Just Person to Surface, or Person to Inanimate objects, when possible. Motion sensors for as many of these things as we can manage — again, especially in bathrooms.

    So, in “normal times,” when there isn’t any pandemic, we’re still reducing the spread of bad stuff. Folks should hug all they want, etc. And when we do get hit with another bad one, we’re already set up for much less transmission via surfaces, etc.

    Just thinking about some of the easy things we could do to minimize spreading our own emissions to one another, and it would create tons of jobs, too.

    in reply to: Coronavirus and Us #113326
    Avatar photoBilly_T
    Participant

    Oh, and a shout out and special thanks to all those in the Healing professions, including Rescue, First Responders, etc. You guys are true heroes.

    A thousand thanks!!

    in reply to: Coronavirus and Us #113325
    Avatar photoBilly_T
    Participant

    That is good news, ZN.

    in reply to: Coronavirus and Us #113324
    Avatar photoBilly_T
    Participant

    Looks like most of us here are at risk, in one way or another, and/or have family and friends in rough straits. I wish you and yours great health, safety and longevity. Be well and wash your hands!!

    Not saying anything new here, of course, but difficult times can bring out the best in us, and I think it does for most people. Not all. But most. I’ve noticed for a long time now, for instance, that cancer patients routinely try to make desk personnel and nursing staff laugh, as we make light of our own conditions. I tend to do what some now call “Dad jokes,” because I’ve never been good at repeating better known comedy stuff. Bad puns, more often than not. Since we basically have captive audiences, they don’t throw tomatoes at us, though they might, if they had them on hand.

    In the end, there are no good answers, I think I believe. Only love and laughter, which bring us hope. Am reading a good bio of Montaigne right now, by Sarah Bakewell, that has me pondering these things even more than usual:

    Books

    How to Live. (I loved her At the Existentialist Cafe, so grabbed this one when I saw it on the E-book list in Libby. Makes me want to read his complete essays, which I have on my bookshelf, but have never tackled in full.)

    He was greatly influenced by the Ancients, especially the Stoics, Skeptics and Epicureans. Eudaimonia was their goal, and they sought Ataraxia to get there.

    A quote I found on the Internet. It’s really not as maudlin or morbid as it may sound initially:

    If you don’t know how to die, don’t worry; Nature will tell you what to do on the spot, fully and adequately. She will do this job perfectly for you; don’t bother your head about it.

    in reply to: Hearts of Stone? #113174
    Avatar photoBilly_T
    Participant

    Thanks, everyone.

    Your responses are a much-needed lift for my spirits.

    I know we’re not supposed to admit stuff like this, but, yeah, I’m kinda skeered. And John Wayne is dead, so to hell with the stiff upper lip.

    The retina doc said my eyes are susceptible to new tears and worse: detached retinas. And that if those tears aren’t quickly addressed, it can lead to blindness. If I remember correctly, same goes with the detached retina. That’s why he’s (twice now) done surgery the day of his discoveries, while scheduling the other eye soon after.

    But I’m beginning to wonder if the surgery itself isn’t causing new tears. He’s used laser and freezing techniques on both, alternating them each round. I’ve forgotten the rationale for that.

    The doc insists that’s not the case, though. But I wonder. And, again, I don’t know how long they’re even going to stay open for these surgeries, given lock downs and so forth. The techs, nurses and doctors are wearing masks and trying to be careful about cleaning surfaces, etc. I’ve worn a mask and disposable gloves each time too.

    Anyway . . . there’s never a good time for any of us to have serious medical issues. But I picked a really bad time for this one.

    ;>)

    Thanks again, all.

    Stay safe, be careful, wash your hands!!

    Avatar photoBilly_T
    Participant

    Additional thought…what with the new push for people to go back to work….

    THAT’S why they wanted the stimulus to be low. So they can say they did it, but when the “offer” to let people “decide” if they want to go back to work…there is really no choice.

    They want everybody going back to fucking work while they hang out in their vacation homes.

    And that’s always been the essence of capitalism. Michael Perelman’s The Invention of Capitalism is filled to the brim with direct quotes from political economists back in the day, especially Smith and company in the 18th and 19th centuries, plus a philosophe or two or three. It’s amazing how often they tried to work-shame “the peasants” into the factories, resorting to the bible constantly. Or that work-shaming would come directly from the pulpit, with the urging of the rising capitalist class.

    And they’d attack it from the other side, too, saying if someone didn’t “improve” their land — make a profit from it — they really didn’t have any “right” to keep it. Locke was especially monstrous on that count. This gave cover to the mass theft of indigenous people’s lands all over the world, and the further “enclosure” of the Commons in the so-called civilized world.

    “Not making profits off your lands? You can’t claim that it’s yours then. Sorry, but we own it now, cuz we’re virtuous, hard-working Christians and we will ‘improve’ it unlike you heathens.”

    in reply to: now that Brock is back — roster choices? #113129
    Avatar photoBilly_T
    Participant

    If I’m GM, knowing what I know about the situation, which is next to nothing, admittedly . . . I wouldn’t sign Floyd. I was happy they signed him until I saw the contract totals. Far too much for someone who hasn’t really proven himself and isn’t all that young, really, at 28. Yes, he’s very athletic, and the Rams need that, and his height, etc. But he’s yet to put it all together, which Fowler seemed to finally do last year.

    For half that amount, yes. But not 10 mil.

    I just wish they had found a way to keep Littleton . . . and Saffold before that. Glad Brockers is back, though.

    • This reply was modified 6 years, 6 months ago by Avatar photoBilly_T.
    Avatar photoBilly_T
    Participant

    trump or biden?

    my vote is for a humanity ending virus…. save the world while we can….

    i only half kid. but would the world be better off without humans? maybe humans are the real pandemic.

    I don’t think there’s any question that the earth and its wildlife would be far better off without Homo Sapiens. But, to use a shortcut/label, I also consider myself a secular humanist, so I’m pulling for we Sapiens to get our act together and survive.

    Intellectually speaking, there’s an obvious conflict between the two things . . . knowing our own impact on wildlife, ecosystems, etc. etc. . . . knowing we’re in the midst of the Sixth Extinction almost entirely due to the capitalist system and its effects.

    Another shortcut: Heart and head. My heart wants us to keep marching on through the centuries, making great art, loving our friends and family, protecting the earth instead of destroying it, etc. My head tells me we’ll do some of that, but not enough. Not nearly enough.

    Avatar photoBilly_T
    Participant

    A much needed follow up.

    Told my sister about today’s operation, and we talked about myriad other things. She sent me this afterwards. No attribution available:

    I’ve given up drinking for a month.

    Sorry, bad punctuation.

    I’ve given up. Drinking for a month.

    Avatar photoBilly_T
    Participant

    If this doesn’t wake up Americans, nothing will…

    The veil has been lifted permanently. Will Americans even see this?

    ==================

    No, the Veil has not been lifted. Leftists already knew all this.

    w
    v

    Well, WV, I don’t want to get into a virtual argument with you, that might lead to virtual fisticuffs, cuz right now I definitely can’t take a punch.

    ;>)

    Had a second round of eye (retinal tear) surgeries this week (Wednesday and today), and when I awoke from a nap this afternoon, took off the bandage, the eye looked like I had lost a fight with Deacon Jones.

    Anyway . . . you and I are saying close to the same thing. I’m saying external reality is X, that there’s no excuse now for anyone to still believe it’s not X, and then asked if the rest of America will finally see X, cuz the veil on that reality has clearly been lifted once and for all. I didn’t say they necessarily see the lifting of the veil, etc.

    And I know leftists already know X, being a leftist meself. I know that the capitalist system has engaged in ever-successful gaslighting, which gets more and more pernicious by the minute.

    But this latest pandemic and response are different. This makes it abundantly clear that trillions of dollars can be made to magically appear yet again to “save the economy,” but money wasn’t available before when people were (and still are) starving, homeless, without medical care, etc. etc.

    Anyway, the latest polling, apparently, has Trump over 50% for the first time in his presidency. Which tells us No, they won’t see the lifting of the veil. And, it tells me, more than half of this nation has lost its mind.

    in reply to: Ian Rapoport: Brockers back to Rams. #113041
    Avatar photoBilly_T
    Participant

    Good news, for a change!

    If the Ravens said no cuz of his ankle, I hope the Rams take sufficient precautions for him and work him into the lineup slowly, carefully.

    Since they obviously didn’t expect to have him at all, one would think they could go slow, etc.

    Anyway, I think this also opens up their drafting a bit too, as others have no doubt already mentioned.

    Perhaps concentrate on O-line, Edge or ILB instead?

    Great locker-room presence. Glad he’s back.

    Avatar photoBilly_T
    Participant

    GEEEZ. Whadda buncha #@)#$&.

    So…$2.2 trillion, and the consensus on the thing is just…not even debatable. The only two points that held it up was the TRIVIAL amount of money given to people who ARE UNEMPLOYED, and the amount of oversight on the corporate slush fund. Those are the only things they argued about. Complete agreement on everything else, including the $500 billion slush fund.

    Republicans are worried that a few people might get a couple hundred bucks more than they ordinarily would.

    And Democrats fight for the pretense of oversight like they had for TARP which was next to useless.

    And the Republicans…I mean…long gone is any pretense that they care about how much money the government spends. The emperor has no clothes on that, even if they cynically play that song come election season. They don’t care about the deficit. Not in real life. That’s obvious.

    So…what does that SAY about their quibbling over a hundred bucks? They aren’t motivated by fiscal restraint. So…what actually motivates them to fight over this paltry sum of money?

    They. Have. CONTEMPT. For. Poor. People.

    Abject contempt. They WANT them to suffer. Even if that isn’t in their conscious thought – and I’m sure they would deny it. But you tell me…play devil’s advocate for me…tell me what other motive could possibly fill in the blank for why they fought over that number. Because it wasn’t about the cost to the government.

    They WANT people to go back to work even though they know it’s life-threatening for people to do that, and will overwhelm our health care professionals. They don’t care. They need the engines to keep stimulating their wealth. That is their highest priority.

    And Graham! Attacking nurses – NURSES! – during a pandemic!

    This is the Great USA. This is Our Country.

    And everybody here knows them. I’m screaming at all my friends who already know this. Fuck these people, man.

    If this doesn’t wake up Americans, nothing will.

    They found a way to come up with trillions — with more to come — to bail out corporate America, again. But for generations, we were told there was nothing we could do about mass poverty, hunger, homelessness, medical bankruptcies, permanent barriers to higher ed for the poor, permanent barriers to housing, living wages, etc. etc. We apparently can’t do anything about the environment, dead zones in our oceans, etc. etc. No money. None. Supposedly.

    Obviously, if we can find this money now — and money has always been a fiction, an arbitrarily defined, artificially created, totally fictitious representation of “value” — we could have found it to end poverty and all the things mentioned above.

    And, just to be clear: I don’t mean tagging money to gold. I see that as basing one fictitious value on another fictitious value. I’m saying We the People need to take control of all of our fictions and make them work for us in reality.

    The veil has been lifted permanently. Will Americans even see this?

    in reply to: the new debate — grandparents v. the economy #112930
    Avatar photoBilly_T
    Participant

    This appears to be a rising movement on the right. Glenn Beck is getting in on the act:

    ‘I would rather die than kill the country’: The conservative chorus pushing Trump to end social distancing

    https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/03/25/coronavirus-glenn-beck-trump/

    Avatar photoBilly_T
    Participant

    In case it wasn’t clear from the context:

    All the words in the above rant are me own. They’re not in the article. I just posted that link for anyone interested in reading one recent provocation for that rant.

    in reply to: the new debate — grandparents v. the economy #112891
    Avatar photoBilly_T
    Participant

    Un-fricken-believable.

    First off, as you guys know, this pandemic impacts all ages. The first reports that it was just us old fogies at risk have been debunked.

    There is no “grandparents sacrifice themselves for the good of capitalism” possibility. Nor should there be. Obviously, the two psychopaths on display there are really saying, Fuck the poor, fuck the working class, fuck even the middle class, let’s get back to work fluffing up rich people again [cuz we’re rich and we depend of workers to stay rich].

    Trump said yesterday that he wants to end social distancing policies in two weeks — against advice from medical professionals worldwide, even in his own administration. And to make it all the worse, he wants us all to feel sorry for him for his own supposed massive sacrifices . . . whining that no one thanked him for not taking a salary, and whining even more how he supposedly lost billions to run for the presidency . . . This in the middle of a presser on the pandemic . . . This in the midst of questions regarding the national response to the pandemic.

    He knew about all of this back in January and did nothing. Hid it from Americans to the extent possible. And now he’s so worried about his own finances and his own chance for reelection, that he wants us to work ourselves to death on behalf of capitalism and capitalists, regardless of how many die.

    Worst. President. Evah. And given our history, that’s saying something.

    • This reply was modified 6 years, 6 months ago by Avatar photoBilly_T.
    in reply to: The Expanse #112890
    Avatar photoBilly_T
    Participant

    Glad ya like it, WV.

    :>)

    It is really well done, and the “politics,” as you noted, is seamlessly integrated. Works within the context of the show. So it’s not a “pamphlet.” It’s not trying to hit us over the head with this. It’s actually “art,” at least relative to other TV shows.

    Looking forward to working my way through all the seasons.

    Avatar photoBilly_T
    Participant

    Krystal Ball: Suspend capitalism NOW, and do not resuscitate”

    As the young kids used to say, OMG!!

    I did not know Krystal was an anticapitalist!! — or at least “born again.”

    That was an awesome opening, though her conservative co-host doesn’t sound like he’s there with her.

    Loved her rant. Spot on!

    I know she didn’t have time to get into a host of things . . . but, obviously, another huge reason to dump capitalism forever is that it doesn’t do prevention. It can’t make money on that. It can’t make money on rainy-day stockpiles. It must sell, sell, sell, world without end. And, of course, that leads to more pollution, waste, extinction of wildlife and eco-systems and further acceleration climate change . . . . which will, in turn, produce more pandemics, with ever greater lethality and scope.

    I know I’m terrible at conveying stuff like the above, and I know I’m just singing to the choir . . . but we need to choose:

    Capitalism or the planet. We can’t have both. They’re intrinsically, permanently at (deadly) odds.

    • This reply was modified 6 years, 6 months ago by Avatar photoBilly_T.
    in reply to: the testing fiasco #112816
    Avatar photoBilly_T
    Participant

    …is what the Fox News folks and rightwing-propaganda will focus on. Donald Trump valiantly tried to lead the nation, but the big-gubmunt-bureaucracy failed us….

    That won’t fly. A president is in a position to streamline all that and get it running to face a crisis.

    As it stands he’s still insisting that states buy their own supplies even while the Feds bid against them.

    ==================

    Well it wont fly with people living in a reality-based-world.

    How many people is that?

    w
    v

    As Hamlet said,

    ay, there’s the rub!

    in reply to: the testing fiasco #112813
    Avatar photoBilly_T
    Participant

    btw, off-topic sidenote:

    Have you ever visited Scott Nearing’s (Goodlife center) farm in Maine? It’s in Brooksville, I think. I’d link to the site but it seems to be down.

    Hat tip again to WV.

    in reply to: the testing fiasco #112812
    Avatar photoBilly_T
    Participant

    …is what the Fox News folks and rightwing-propaganda will focus on. Donald Trump valiantly tried to lead the nation, but the big-gubmunt-bureaucracy failed us….

    That won’t fly. A president is in a position to streamline all that and get it running to face a crisis.

    As it stands he’s still insisting that states buy their own supplies even while the Feds bid against them.

    I don’t know, ZN. I think he’s gonna get away with this, at least with his diehard base.

    He spent more than three years setting them up to believe that he was at the mercy of the deep state, that it was out to get him, that he was its victim. I think it’s baked into the cake now that Trump will be seen as deserving credit for all “wins,” despite the gubmint’s supposed efforts to take him down, and bears no responsibility for any “bad stuff.”

    In some major league mind-jujitsu, he’s somehow convinced his base that, in a sense, he’s not actually the head of the Executive, with all the attendant powers, that he remains a powerless outsider, who “succeeds” on sheer strength of will and fortitude. Or, cuz, he’s been sent by god.

    Best. Gaslighting. Evah.

    in reply to: politics & the virus #112809
    Avatar photoBilly_T
    Participant

    Excellent video by Klein.

    I wish she were an American. She would make an awesome president.

    At the very least, the Dems should put her in charge of the Interior Department or the EPA, if they win.

    in reply to: politics & the virus #112808
    Avatar photoBilly_T
    Participant

    I’m calling on the Federal Government to nationalize the medical supply chain.

    The Federal Government should immediately use the Defense Production Act to order companies to make gowns, masks and gloves.

    Currently, states are competing against other states for supplies.

    — Andrew Cuomo

    The capitalist system is obviously useless in a crisis like this. It’s set up to “compete” with everyone for resources, money, etc. etc. Instead of all hands on deck, its guiding ethos and everyone row against each other, in different directions.

    Singing to the choir, I know. But it really, really pizzes me off.

    It can’t make money in prevention. It actually loses money when we prevent catastrophes which it exploits. It can’t make money building up “rainy day” resources/stockpiles. It has to sell, sell, sell!! It can’t make money, cooperatively, working for the common good, which almost always means leaving stuff in the Commons, for public use, instead of private gain.

    It created this crisis and it doesn’t even want to resolve it. No percentage in it, as that parallel world gangster once said on Star Trek.

    Avatar photoBilly_T
    Participant

    Thanks, Nittany

    Did not know about that particular case.

    It fits the pattern, of course.

    But what astounds me is the fierce clinging to a system that does that, routinely, and built its fortunes literally on the bones of hundreds of millions of human beings, their pain, their misery, their lost hopes, and countless wildlife.

    in reply to: Coronavirus and Us #112745
    Avatar photoBilly_T
    Participant

    My parents are gone. In 1999 and 2005, respectively. Very few relatives from the previous generation are still around, and I miss them more than I can express. Have siblings, and they have families. Like the rest of youze guys, I worry about all of them.

    I’m in my 60s now, with chemo treatments, off and on, since 2003. Mostly on. Currently on “maintenance chemo” every other month. Last full-on flareup was in 2018. Hope it stays that way . . . knock on wood, etc.

    Recently, have had multiple surgeries for both eyes. This happened prior to the pandemic, and my last chemo treatment was last month. I don’t know much things will change in the future, medically . . . but I’m guessing those changes will accelerate. Whole new world likely, along those lines.

    Stay safe, everyone.

    Avatar photoBilly_T
    Participant

    WV,

    Even more great quotes.

    I’ve added Nearing to my personal pantheon of leftist greats.

    Avatar photoBilly_T
    Participant

    Quick note on that creation of free time.

    This is yet one more proof that the USSR was never “socialist.” It was state capitalist. They did create more free time via production innovations, but that was folded back into the drive for more and more and more production. Workers didn’t work less. They often worked more after those “innovations.”

    So the powers that be in the USSR ignored Marx (and 99% of leftist tradition) on the subject, cuz Marx thought a ton of extra time would be the norm for a socialist society, and that achieving that free time was baked in as part of the goal. A major rationale for changing systems in the first place.

    Keynes thought a well-regulated capitalist system would eventually do this too, ironically.

    Trouble was, he forgot about the purpose of capitalism, and its mechanism for getting there:

    Make capitalists richer and richer and richer, via ever greater collections of unpaid labor hours. You can’t do that if you hand labor savings back to workers. In the USSR, this just took the form of a political party acting as the capitalist commandeers.

Viewing 30 posts - 1,261 through 1,290 (of 4,331 total)