2 Pulitzer winners debate russia-gate

Recent Forum Topics Forums The Public House 2 Pulitzer winners debate russia-gate

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    wv
    Participant

Greenwald vs Risen

Billy_T
    Participant

That was tough to watch. I struggled mightily to get through the first 35 minutes, and then just had to stop and go to sleep.

GG monopolized the time, and Risen was given very little of it to respond. Greenwald also was far too defensive, and wasted a lot of time on silly side issues like the meaning of “treason,” which, btw, he got wrong. It does not say that we must be at war with the nation in question. He missed the “or” in front of the clause regarding adhering to and aiding and abetting enemies.

Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort. No Person shall be convicted of Treason unless on the Testimony of two Witnesses to the same overt Act, or on Confession in open Court.

Risen, IMO, made good points about the lack of attention paid to the underlying issue, which is Russian meddling and Trump’s connection to this. I’ve noticed that the folks in the “don’t discuss Russia-gate” camp tend to do this. Stephen Cohen, for example, was on CNN recently and pretty much made his entire case on the “ought” rather than the “is” of the subject at hand. As in, we “ought” not to even discuss this because it increases tension with Russia. That should not be the rationale for investigations, public discussions, or investigative reporting. Comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable, etc. etc.

It still puzzles me why this issue, above pretty much any other, is bringing this idea out in certain people. I just don’t remember the same “ought” being pushed for hundreds of different scenarios, involving different nations. I don’t remember GG saying we shouldn’t investigate, discuss, etc. etc. other matters because of the supposed tensions it might create. Only “Russia-gate.”

I find this all too surreal.

Billy_T
    Participant

At the same time, I definitely agree that charges and accusations shouldn’t be tossed around with reckless abandon. But I see the Trump side doing this several times a day. I rarely see it done by the folks wanting us to continue the investigation, though, as we’ve discussed before . . . yeah, a few go off the deep end with silly hyperbole. But on balance, if anyone is engaging in reckless accusations and even outright smears, it’s Trump and his GOP protectors.

. . .

On Greenwald’s defensiveness: I used to be a regular poster when he had a column with Salon. He would often write excellent essays, but would also write absurd defenses of people like Ron Paul and hint at defenses for the Truthers. He had a faithful following among both groups, which often shared viewpoints. Some of us would criticize the SUBSTANCE of those defenses, and GG would attack us, forgetting the substance, getting lost in irrelevances, and displaying seriously thin skin. I think that’s just who he is.

So you get a lot of the good and some wasted times with him — like most serious columnists. But it seems he hasn’t ever found a way to just deal with a critique and not take it so personally.

Billy_T
    Participant

And, as mentioned before, I just don’t buy the idea that these discussions of Russian meddling or the Mueller probe have increased tensions, at least not enough to matter. Saying it could lead to WWIII, to me, is the real “hysteria.”

I see zero evidence that it has done the former, and less than zero that it could lead to the latter. In fact, I find the idea absurd. It also strikes me as a bogus “ought” factor when it comes to “focus on or don’t focus on,” etc.

It’s not the most important issue we face, obviously. But I think it’s well worth our time to get to the bottom of it all. And my guess is — though it’s just a guess at this point — that if Mueller were really allowed to go wherever he wanted to go, with zero interference, this would take down folks in both parties, though the GOP would dominate the indictments. It’s long past time for a good house cleaning anyway.

wv
    Participant

Just some actual examples of the ‘russian interference.’ Fwiw.

I find it interesting that i have to wait for Jimmy Dore to show me this stuff. I never see collections of concrete examples on the MSM. Maybe they show them, but i never see them anywhere.

Billy_T
    Participant

Hey, WV,

Gotta run some errands but will come back to watch Dore. I respect him.

Could you add your own thoughts regarding the first video? And, if you feel like it, thoughts about my response to it?

wv
    Participant

Hey, WV,

Gotta run some errands but will come back to watch Dore. I respect him.

Could you add your own thoughts regarding the first video? And, if you feel like it, thoughts about my response to it?

=============

First Vid? Well, i posted it before i watched it. Always a dum move 🙂

I thought it was less than scintillating. Way too much yacking about legal definitions of ‘traitor’ and not enough give and take on the russia-gate thing.
    I ‘did’ agree with Greenwald obviously, so i liked the rest of his comments more than you. His emotionalism didnt really bug me. You saw it as ‘defensive’ — i
    just saw it as ‘passionate.’

…i’m watchin this tonite….If u watch it for a few mins, I like the “Hulk Smash” line, btw 🙂

wv
    Participant

PS — if anyone watches that vid in the post just above this, check out the 28 minute mark or so. The Australian progressive sez Bernie Sanders would be considered a rightwinger in Australia. Thats how far to the right America has become. According to her.

w
    v

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.