9-11 the free-fall argument

Recent Forum Topics Forums The Public House 9-11 the free-fall argument

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    wv
    Participant

What do we think of this notion that the towers fell at near ‘free-fall’ speed
    and that, it is argued, would not happen just because the top of the towers were damaged. Any skeptics still out there? Do we all buy the official version, entirely? Any agnostics?

zn

I have to admit, I have no patience for 9/11 conspiracy theories.

wv
    Participant

I have to admit, I have no patience for 9/11 conspiracy theories.

==================

I know that 🙂

I’m curious whether Mack has any thots. At one time he was skeptical of the official version. Then he was skeptical of the unofficial versions. I’m wondering where he’s at now.

w
    v

Mackeyser

The first explanation from the government was awful. It was unscientific and just terrible.

However, the Purdue Dept of Engineering nailed the explanation and I’ve been satisfied ever since.

It’s just unfortunate that the govt was in such a hurry to put out any explanation that they put out a crap one that fuels conspiracy theories to this day.

Sports is the crucible of human virtue. The distillate remains are human vice.

wv
    Participant

The first explanation from the government was awful. It was unscientific and just terrible.

However, the Purdue Dept of Engineering nailed the explanation and I’ve been satisfied ever since.

It’s just unfortunate that the govt was in such a hurry to put out any explanation that they put out a crap one that fuels conspiracy theories to this day.

===============

I guess they did an animation as well:

Billy_T
    Participant

Several major problems with the Truthers’ argument. But just from a method’s pov, they didn’t follow the scientific method at all, and should have done what troubleshooters do. Collect the variables, do process of elimination, find the culprits. Do this in context, noting how the variables interact with one another. Instead, they jumped up and down because they found an “anomaly” or two — which, btw, generally exist in all of these situations — and stopped there. A good troubleshooter never stops with an anomaly. He or she tries to find out if it’s relevant, or active, or cancelled out by other variables, etc.

Kinda like, “Well, Ike couldn’t have caught that touchdown pass in the playoffs cuz he was wearing red socks that day. It’s impossible!” Um, well, he also had on white shoes, and Warner was in sync with him cuz he had on red socks too. You need to account for those things as well.

But on the larger picture, Matt Taibbi did the all-time best debunking of the truthers, and I was most of the way there before I read him. Main thing: You don’t do “false flags” in your own backyard, in key centers of power, if you’re the powerful. You do them elsewhere, especially overseas, where it’s a lot easier to hide your tracks and you don’t destroy ruling class assets along the way.

Beyond that, if the goal was to go to war with Iraq, America is an easy date for that sort of thing. It’s never taken much to make the beat of war drums take hold. There’s no reason for ruling class folks to undertake a “conspiracy” of an elaborate form to make that happen. A few well-placed bombs — rhetorical or real, particularly in Iraq — would suffice.

None of it Truther narrative ever added up — not scientifically, or politically, or common-sense-wise. And given that the Truther in Chief was Alex Jones . . . . I have no idea why anyone jumped on that bandwagon, evah.

wv
    Participant

Beyond that, if the goal was to go to war with Iraq, America is an easy date for that sort of thing. It’s never taken much to make the beat of war drums take hold. There’s no reason for ruling class folks to undertake a “conspiracy” of an elaborate form to make that happen. A few well-placed bombs — rhetorical or real, particularly in Iraq — would suffice.

None of it Truther narrative ever added up — not scientifically, or politically, or common-sense-wise. And given that the Truther in Chief was Alex Jones . . . . I have no idea why anyone jumped on that bandwagon, evah.

=======================

Well, i lean heavily toward the ‘official explanation,’ but I am still open to alternative theories. I dont like to lump ALL the alternative-theory folks into the “nutcase-alex-Jones” category. (I know ‘they’ dont want to be lumped in with him, either)

I am still open to other possibilities because of that ‘architects and engineers’ group that still has lots of questions. SOME of those folks seem like good solid sciency people with real questions based on science. Not all of them, but some of them. I’ve read some of the debunkers views of that group and i dont like the way the debunkers just ‘dismiss’ them all. They are not all wackos. Just my opinion of course 🙂

At any rate, my own ‘thing’ about 9-11 is….well…it isnt really ‘about’ the 9-11 event itself — its about ‘the situation’. The situation being, its really fucking hard to sort truth from fiction these days. Especially if the truth involves science. Who do we trust these days to give us accurate info? Zn trusts the ‘peer review’ system much more than i do. I cant tell how much of it has been tainted now by the Monsanto’s and mega-corpse.

There are many reasons why there are SO MANY conspiracy theories about SO MANY things today. Its getting harder and harder for the average-citizen to keep up with things and to know who to trust. And this overwhelming/future/shock/culture-of-Lies situation is one of the factors that lead straight to Trump. And Obama too, and all the rest of them, i suppose.

Do you trust the government to tell you the truth about Iraq?…Syria?…Libya?…Haiti?…Venezuela?…Saudi Arabia?…Israel?….. 9-11, ?
    See the problem — we know the government lies and lies and lies and lies and lies. CIA-lies, NSA-lies, FBI-lies, Presidential-lies, Corporate-lies….etc. So how easy is it to trust the government on 9-11 ? 🙂

I know some will say well, Climate-change also has some sciency folks who have a minority view so are you also open to the idea that humans arent causing climate change? And I’d say no. Because i know that a gazillion sciency folks have really studied that issue. But with 9-11, i dont think a gazillion sciency folks have studied the evidence. A much smaller group of sciency folks have had access to the actual evidence involving the towers. So i dont think the situations are analogous. But…i dunno.

w
    v

• This reply was modified 6 years, 8 months ago by wv.
    Zooey
    Participant

Yeah, I agree with Billy there. You don’t do False Flag operations in New York City destroying the assets of the economic elite when it is far easier, safer, and cheaper to do them overseas.

Moreover…and this is to me the trump card argument…if you want to go to war with Iraq, and you had this big complex, tricky stunt to pull off…you would use Iraqi pilots. Compared to the difficulty of the rest of that operation, getting Iraqi pilots and money trails would have been comparatively simple, and made a much, much better case for the invasion.

Billy_T
    Participant

Lotsa good points, WV.

I don’t trust the government to tell us the truth about a lot of stuff. But, when it’s in the hands of “moderates,” I think it’s more a matter of what they leave out than what they divulge. As in, moderate governments tend to lie through omission. A radical-right government is going to do that, too, but will add lies of commission. Everything from “Global Warming is a hoax” to “Immigrants are pouring over our borders and raping, killing and stealing our jobs” to the slightly less unhinged “Tax cuts pay for themselves and spur growth.”

A moderate government will leave out the war stuff, and surveillance stuff, and black ops and black sites, and special deals for capitalists, and covert coups to help those capitalists take over markets, etc. etc. They won’t tell us this stuff is going on. But they tend to get sciency stuff right, and basic economic stats correct — job numbers, unemployment, GDP, etc.

IMO, we still don’t know exactly (beyond a general outline) what happened on 9-11 or why. But I think the truthers’ version is nutz, and just a radical distortion by way of commission, rather than omission. I think the government’s story since that date is a lie on the side of omission, not commission. If Trump survives, it wouldn’t surprise me if he goes after that topic too, and follows a slightly modified Alex Jones tract. The alt-right would love him for that.

wv
    Participant

Yeah, I agree with Billy there. You don’t do False Flag operations in New York City destroying the assets of the economic elite when it is far easier, safer, and cheaper to do them overseas.

Moreover
and this is to me the trump card argument
if you want to go to war with Iraq, and you had this big complex, tricky stunt to pull off
you would use Iraqi pilots. Compared to the difficulty of the rest of that operation, getting Iraqi pilots and money trails would have been comparatively simple, and made a much, much better case for the invasion.

=================

I agree with all that. And i think (for me) the biggest problem the alternative-theory-folks have is — how the hell would explosives have been placed all through three large buildings and no-one notice. It would involve a LOT of people and planning — and there’s been no leaks? I could go on….and thats why i lean heavily toward the official view.

Still…there are very sciency folks who have problems with the science of the official version. So, i leave the door slightly open. I dont mind 🙂
    I dont ‘need’ to be a hundred percent sure about it. Whatever happened it doesnt really change the big picture of what the corporotacracy is and what its doing to the biosphere.

w
    v

Billy_T
    Participant

Moreover
and this is to me the trump card argument
if you want to go to war with Iraq, and you had this big complex, tricky stunt to pull off
you would use Iraqi pilots. Compared to the difficulty of the rest of that operation, getting Iraqi pilots and money trails would have been comparatively simple, and made a much, much better case for the invasion.

Yep. It wouldn’t have been difficult to pin some direct provocation on Hussein. And why go such a roundabout way through Al Queda, if the aim was war with Iraq?

But, the main thing is, to me: the ruling class, the ruling elite, or Mills’ “power elite,” just isn’t gonna blow up its own key assets to start a war, or even to consolidate power. They’ve never had to do that in the past to make that happen. I honestly can’t think of any instance in American history where it was necessary.

zn

Zn trusts the ‘peer review’ system much more than i do. I cant tell how much of it has been tainted now by the Monsanto’s and mega-corpse.

That taints the entire peer review process as a process? How?

I don’t believe in conspiracy theory btw because I believe in ideological theory, which is its opposite.

From the point of view of ideological theory, conspiracy theory is just an effort to reduce and simplify and come up with reductive answers.

There’s a concept for example in ideological theory called “uneven developments.” In this view, you never look for a complete and unitary world—there’s different processes and stages at work, and you can have progressive threads mixed in with regressive ones in any kind of thing. So for example all the CEOs who resigned from Trump councils were appalled by his overt sympathy for confederate nostalgia. But you can bet those same people aren’t all good on gender at work, universal health care, citizens united, and foreign policy…though some of them may be good on some of those things.

The point being, any sloganistic approach that reduces it all to a couple of simple black n white formulas are just in advance going to be insufficient. From my point of view, conspiracy theory does do that.

zn

I honestly can’t think of any instance in American history where it was necessary.

Well they faked the moon landing to distact attention from the recognition that the world is actually flat.

So it’s not like they’ve NEVER done that.

Billy_T
    Participant

I honestly can’t think of any instance in American history where it was necessary.

Well they faked the moon landing to distact attention from the recognition that the world is actually flat.

So it’s not like they’ve NEVER done that.

Oh, you’re just saying that cuz you were wrong about the White Walkers.

Ah, wait a second. That was me being wrong. Um, never mind.

wv
    Participant

Zn trusts the ‘peer review’ system much more than i do. I cant tell how much of it has been tainted now by the Monsanto’s and mega-corpse.

That taints the entire peer review process as a process? How?

I don’t believe in conspiracy theory btw because I believe in ideological theory, which is its opposite.

From the point of view of ideological theory, conspiracy theory is just an effort to reduce and simplify and come up with reductive answers.

There’s a concept for example in ideological theory called “uneven developments.” In this view, you never look for a complete and unitary world—there’s different processes and stages at work, and you can have progressive threads mixed in with regressive ones in any kind of thing. So for example all the CEOs who resigned from Trump councils were appalled by his overt sympathy for confederate nostalgia. But you can bet those same people aren’t all good on gender at work, universal health care, citizens united, and foreign policy
though some of them may be good on some of those things.

The point being, any sloganistic approach that reduces it all to a couple of simple black n white formulas are just in advance going to be insufficient. From my point of view, conspiracy theory does do that.

===============

Well, i dont believe in reductionism or slogans either. So i think Ideological theory can include plenty of conspiracies. I think any reading of history will show lots of conspiracies. Simply dismissing all of them, seems simplistic and a form of reductionism to me.

So the approach for me is to figure out which conspiracies are real and which arent. Its very very hard to know. I am not going to simply ‘dismiss’ all of them. Thats just me, though.

As far as your description of the layers, nuances, counter-currents, counter-hegemonies, complexities, flows this way and that….sure. Absolutely. Agreed.
    When i used the term “corporotacracy” though, i am not thinking of a simplistic, black and white, static, model of the situation. Its much more like a corporate-kaleidoscope. Er somethin. I do think there is enough of a ‘fluid form’ to go ahead and use a term like corporotacracy, conceding that its just a word. A label. The map is not the territory. The menu is not the meal.

But swirling in the corporotacracy I’d be shocked if there werent conspiracies. I mean, heck we know Capitalism has been chock full of little groups who wanted to form monopolies, etc.

w
    v

zn

When i used the term “corporotacracy” though, i am not thinking of a simplistic, black and white, static, model of the situation. Its much more like a corporate-kaleidoscope. Er somethin. I do think there is enough of a ‘fluid form’ to go ahead and use a term like corporotacracy, conceding that its just a word. A label. The map is not the territory. The menu is not the meal.

Okay fair enough.

On conspiracies. If you just mean that all the time groups of people unite and try to accomplish something as a group, sure. Whether or not they accomplish anything depends on whether or not (to sound circular) they CAN. So for example there was only a handful of Cuban revolutionaries but their time was right. Same can’t be said for all revolutionaries in history, like the assassins of Julius Ceaser, who lost. But that’s not the basis of conspiracy theory. Conspiracy theory says that large groups of people in positions of power manipulate the entire system at a level of cooperation and collusion that is, when you look at it, impossible. So for example could the Bush government get away with planning a massive attack on its own infrastructure without someone figuring it out? Do all scientists from related fields throughout the world agree to lie about climate change because they have a secret agenda? I think the word changes when you go from “conspiracies” to “conspiracy theory.” We know for example that the small group of Capone gangsters conspired to take out their rivals in Moran’s north side gang, and that was the Valentine’s Day Massacre. But a “conspiracy theory” would say something like this–the Capone gang conspired with the entire government to take advantage of the temperance movement to push prohibition so they could profit from illegal liquor sales. In other words, the term “conspiracy theory” does not literally refer to theories about conspiracies, with the word “conspiracy” here having its ordinary meaning (groups agree to do something.) It’s actually a pejorative used to label ideas of social manipulation at a massive level that goes beyond ordinary criminal action by an actual tight-knit group. So for example, flat earthers genuinely say that scientists–basically, all of them–conspire with NASA to deny the flat earth reality because they profit from the lie.

I actually think Dulles arranged Kennedy’s death. I can’t prove it but if it were true that would have been a conspiracy.

I don’t believe that every scientist in the world cooperates in maintaining a massive lie about the climate. That’s conspiracy theory. The actions of conspiracy theories require a level of cooperation that is telepathic. Otherwise why would a Japanese scientist who works on atmosphere physics know how to lie in harmonious concert with a Swedish meteorologist.

So on that we’re not quite saying the same things.

Billy_T
    Participant

ZN,

What’s your take on this?

The conclusion regarding whether or not a “conspiracy” has taken place should draw from several key elements:

1. Is there an existential threat to the participants if they don’t act? As in, if they do nothing, what are the consequences?
    2. If they do act, what is the risk/reward ratio? As in, do they gain enough by acting to justify the risk? This calculation strikes me as most pertinent to public figures, where risk of exposure is higher on their list than in some other walks of life.
    3. Can they achieve their desired goals though some other action, one that is legal, carries no punishment, etc.?

It’s all going to come down to a calculation regarding an “if this, then that” scenario. For inaction and action. For consequences and exposure.

Going back to the Iraq war and 9/11, for example, inaction (prior to the attacks of that day) posed zero threat to the participants. Not invading Iraq posed no threat to Bush, Cheney and company, especially not existentially. And, as already mentioned, the ruling class just never blows up its own assets to get what it wants. As far as I know, there is no example of that in history.

Sidenote: Your comment about Dulles? Was that facetious or your actual belief? Would be interested in reading more on that topic.

zn

1. Is there an existential threat to the participants if they don’t act? As in, if they do nothing, what are the consequences?

I would say that this is interesting discussion. I have hesitations with your #1 though. The issue is not always just threat. Often real conspiracies are based on gain, not threat, real or imagined. So for example CEO Bernard Ebbers who was convicted of using fraudulent accounting to deceive investors about the economic standing of Worldcom. It’s a conspiracy because he could not do that himself–it was a group effort. He wasn’t under threat because of protections for companies like that (golden parachutes, bankruptcy laws)…it was just greed.

wv
    Participant

Okay fair enough.

On conspiracies. If you just mean that all the time groups of people unite and try to accomplish something as a group, sure. Whether or not they accomplish anything depends on whether or not (to sound circular) they CAN. So for example there was only a handful of Cuban revolutionaries but their time was right. Same can’t be said for all revolutionaries in history, like the assassins of Julius Ceaser, who lost. But that’s not the basis of conspiracy theory. Conspiracy theory says that large groups of people in positions of power manipulate the entire system at a level of cooperation and collusion that is, when you look at it, impossible. So for example could the Bush government get away with planning a massive attack on its own infrastructure without someone figuring it out? Do all scientists from related fields throughout the world agree to lie about climate change because they have a secret agenda? I think the word changes when you go from “conspiracies” to “conspiracy theory.” We know for example that the small group of Capone gangsters conspired to take out their rivals in Moran’s north side gang, and that was the Valentine’s Day Massacre. But a “conspiracy theory” would say something like this–the Capone gang conspired with the entire government to take advantage of the temperance movement to push prohibition so they could profit from illegal liquor sales. In other words, the term “conspiracy theory” does not literally refer to theories about conspiracies, with the word “conspiracy” here having its ordinary meaning (groups agree to do something.) It’s actually a pejorative used to label ideas of social manipulation at a massive level that goes beyond ordinary criminal action by an actual tight-knit group. So for example, flat earthers genuinely say that scientists–basically, all of them–conspire with NASA to deny the flat earth reality because they profit from the lie.

I actually think Dulles arranged Kennedy’s death. I can’t prove it but if it were true that would have been a conspiracy.

I don’t believe that every scientist in the world cooperates in maintaining a massive lie about the climate. That’s conspiracy theory. The actions of conspiracy theories require a level of cooperation that is telepathic. Otherwise why would a Japanese scientist who works on atmosphere physics know how to lie in harmonious concert with a Swedish meteorologist.

So on that we’re not quite saying the same things.

==============
    Well ok, if that is how “conspiracy theory” is defined in academia, so be it. It basically only applies to the Alex Jones nutcase-theories.

I would only caution we must be wary of lumping everyone who wrestles with notions of concentrated power into that nutcase-group.

We know there are very very powerful groups in the country and the world and they wield a lot of power. Are we really in Alex-Jones Territory if we wonder about the influence of the Bildergers/Tri-lateral folks? The CIA/NSA folks? The Mega-Corpse? Etc.

One of the problems I see, is, this is beyond scientific study. At least it looks that way to me. How does one ‘study’ what the Rothschilds are doing? Or the Rockefellas or Morgans or the mega-corpse lobbyists? How does one study the corporotacracy scientifically? And if one is wedded to sciency-thot then perhaps one is very quick to dismiss ‘conspiracy ideas’ ?

w
    v

Billy_T
    Participant

I would say that this is interesting discussion. I have hesitations with your #1 though. The issue is not always just threat. Often real conspiracies are based on gain, not threat, real or imagined. So for example CEO Bernard Ebbers who was convicted of using fraudulent accounting to deceive investors about the economic standing of Worldcom. It’s a conspiracy because he could not do that himself–it was a group effort. He wasn’t under threat because of protections for companies like that (golden parachutes, bankruptcy laws)
it was just greed.

I can see your hesitations. I probably didn’t amplify that aspect enough when I mentioned risk/reward with the second one. That’s about the “gain” part. Bernard Ebbers and his helpers must have calculated that the risk was worth the reward, that the gain they sought, out of greed, was significant enough to warrant the risk.

Though, I’m guessing, plenty of exceptions exist where the greed part and the lust for that gain overwhelm a logical appraisal of risk. Wall Street seems rampant with this. Though I’m also guessing that these guys think they can get away with it, that they’re too smart to get caught, etc. And perhaps the risk may even add to the thrill of it all?

Jumping out of airplanes and rolling the dice on insider trading, perhaps? Though that may be a stretch . . . But I’d also guess that coming up with a group all on the same page with these psychological traits would be rather rare, which would also make the conspiracy less likely to hold together, etc.

Billy_T
    Participant

Well ok, if that is how “conspiracy theory” is defined in academia, so be it. It basically only applies to the Alex Jones nutcase-theories.

I would only caution we must be wary of lumping everyone who wrestles with notions of concentrated power into that nutcase-group.

We know there are very very powerful groups in the country and the world and they wield a lot of power. Are we really in Alex-Jones Territory if we wonder about the influence of the Bildergers/Tri-lateral folks? The CIA/NSA folks? The Mega-Corpse? Etc.

One of the problems I see, is, this is beyond scientific study. At least it looks that way to me. How does one ‘study’ what the Rothschilds are doing? Or the Rockefellas or Morgans or the mega-corpse lobbyists? How does one study the corporotacracy scientifically? And if one is wedded to sciency-thot then perhaps one is very quick to dismiss ‘conspiracy ideas’ ?

w
    v

Yes, there are obviously powerful groups who control vast amounts of resources and seek to maintain and grow that power. I think the Alex Jones nutcase stuff kicks in most often when people bring old myths into the present. The one about the Rothchilds, for instance, goes back to the battle of Waterloo.

This happens innocently and not so innocently. There are plenty of people who question these things out of sincere, authentic motives and very best intentions, from the pov of a strong moral compass, and I’d put the posters here in that category.

The Rothschild Libel: Why has it taken 200 years for an anti-Semitic slur that emerged from the Battle of Waterloo to be dismissed? Thirty years after the dust had settled on the fields of Waterloo, a poisonous anti-Semitic pamphlet circulated in Europe, claiming the Rothschild family had accrued its vast wealth on the back of Wellington’s triumph. The ‘facts’ were entirely made up Brian Cathcart Sunday 3 May 2015 05:00 BST

Billy_T
    Participant

Are we really in Alex-Jones Territory if we wonder about the influence of the Bildergers/Tri-lateral folks? The CIA/NSA folks? The Mega-Corpse? Etc.

Well no, not for most of those, that’s not Alex Jones stuff. You can add the Koch brothers to that. The “mega corpse” one isn’t in that territory because Jones would never go there. I do think that one’s too big though. THe american corporate/business world is just simply not unitary enough to conspire on anything. That’s like saying all scientists lie about climate change. At that point IMO you’re really in the murkier territory of interests and policies. That is, it’s in xyz’s interests to have xyz policies. Even that doesn’t hold as unitary. I mean, is Ben and Jerry’s really the same as Exxon?

Corporate interests aren’t necessarily “unitary” as you mention. You’ve talked about that for some time now. But the capitalist system established itself as the first unified economic system in history. Nothing prior to it ever sought the kind of total legal and social control it now enjoys, and its innate impulses force it to pursue more and more unification. Prior to its destruction of previous economic systems, which were independent of one another, and mostly limited to the local, you actually had, ironically, “free markets.” The whole deal for capitalism is to control those markets under one standardized set of rules, acceptable currencies, trade agreements, international ruling bodies and so on. Again, all of that is unprecedented.

To me, that’s naturally going to lead to a great deal of “same page” decision-making, but that doesn’t necessarily mean conspiracies, which is your point, unless I misread you.

One example of a seeming conflict of corporate interests is the battle against Medicare for All or Single Payer. One would think it would be an awesome deal for most capitalist businesses. The public would pick up the tab for health insurance entirely. No more burden for individual companies. The obvious opposition to that is the private insurance industry itself. But it would seem, at least on the surface, that corporate interests have aligned with the insurance industry, for some bizarre reason . . . I haven’t figured that one out yet.

zn

. But it would seem, at least on the surface, that corporate interests have aligned with the insurance industry, for some bizarre reason . . . I haven’t figured that one out yet.

Businesses receive subsidies when they pay for insurance for employees. I am not sure of the details on that or how it works.

BUT single payer could not be gathering steam if it were universally opposed by business interests.

And btw a lot of this is just me getting my vote in on this or that topic. If WV wants to talk about the mega-corps that’s fine with me, not that he should care either way if it;s fine with me or not. I was just saying why I don’t use that particular terminology. We’re all allies whatever which way we put it, and purity of terminology is for purists, or for the pure, which actually don’t exist. (Yes I am a pure purist about the existence of the pure.)

Billy_T
    Participant

. But it would seem, at least on the surface, that corporate interests have aligned with the insurance industry, for some bizarre reason . . . I haven’t figured that one out yet.

Businesses receive subsidies when they pay for insurance for employees. I am not sure of the details on that or how it works.

BUT single payer could not be gathering steam if it were universally opposed by business interests.

And btw a lot of this is just me getting my vote in on this or that topic. If WV wants to talk about the mega-corps that’s fine with me, not that he should care either way if it;s fine with me or not. I was just saying why I don’t use that particular terminology. We’re all allies whatever which way we put it, and purity of terminology is for purists, or for the pure, which actually don’t exist. (Yes I am a pure purist about the existence of the pure.)

More good points. But, in the spirit of just being plain obnoxious, I’m a pure purist about the non-existence of the pure. I don’t think there is such a species seeking that sort of thing. But that’s purely conjectural, I suppose.

I guess that’s one of those Barber of Seville kinds of cone-em-drums . . .

nittany ram

wv wrote:

Well, the problems facing science usually do not involve covering up or altering information. At least not until Trump got control of the EPA, that is. The reason is that other labs are going to verify the claims. Independent corroboration. Science only works if results are reproducible. Remember the cold fusion fiasco? Other labs could not reproduce the results as reported in the original paper using the same equipment, materials, procedures, etc…which meant the original lab most likely didn’t get those results either.

The issues facing science/peer review generally involve a lack of due diligence by the reviewers and journals that allow bad papers with dubious methods and results to get published. This is especially true in sociology and psychology. Part of this might involve “P hacking”, where the researcher consciously or unconsciously alters data to get the p value they want. Often, the p value researchers shoot for is 0.05, meaning if the study achieves a p value of 0.05 or less, then the results of the study are statistically significant. A common way to p-hack would be to collect data points until you get the p value of 0.05, then stop. But you can’t do this because what if the next data point had driven the p value above 0.05? It would be like playing a football game until the team you want to win is ahead and then stopping the game and declaring them the winner. Of course, the team that’s losing at the moment you stopped could have ultimately won the game had it been allowed to continue. That’s why you have to play the full 4 quarters. In science you have to use all the data you collect unless there is a valid reason not to, and you have to specify beforehand how many data points you will collect and what statistical measures you are going to use. You can’t change mid stream. To fix this, some have suggested that the accepted value of 0.05 should be lowered. Blinding the studies might help too.

But, again, this is different than trying to cover up information, which is what I assume you were alluding to with the Monsanto reference. I don’t doubt Monsanto would cover up data if it suited them. Fortunately there are many other independent labs all over the world replicating these studies, so even if they did, they wouldn’t get away with it for very long.

wv
    Participant

Are the mega-energy companies influencing policy? I’d say yes. Are they also co-operating with other mega-corpse? I’d say sometimes. Are they often in a weird position of competing sometimes and co-operating secretly sometimes — I’d say yes.

I skimmed a book once called “Salt, Sugar, Fat”. I forget if i posted about it, but its a fine little book. The author described in detail a SECRET meeting of ALL the mega-CEREAL corporation CEO’s. I believe they met in Minnesota of all places. Anyway they compete but they also conspire. It depends.

So, when i say “corporotacracy” i am not describing a static, black-and-white, alex-jones conspiracy. Its much much much messier and more fluid than that. Its corporate-fucking-capitalism. Perhaps, I’ll just call it CFC.

Whatever it is, sometimes the Kaleidoscope of Powers kindof move from a gazillion competing colors to a few shades of a few colors. For a while. Concentrated Power. More and more concentration of power. Like with the MSM. Its taking shape. Moving more and more towards concentrations-of-power.

It is hard to describe a corporotacracy. I am not good at it. Though, i think about metaphors and models every day. Searching for a better one.

w
    v

wv
    Participant

I cant post anymore. A dragon is dead.

w
    v

nittany ram

w
    v

Ummm, do a guy a solid and post a spoiler alert for a change.

Not all of us can see GOT the night it airs.

So, check your privilege, Councilor.

zn

Ummm, do a guy a solid and post a spoiler alert for a change.

Not all of us can see GOT the night it airs.

So, check your privilege, Councilor.

I suppose you don’t want to hear about Jon Snow marrying Cersei than either.

Okay mum’s the word.

Mackeyser

w
    v

Sports is the crucible of human virtue. The distillate remains are human vice.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.