2018 nfl draft

Recent Forum Topics Forums The Rams Huddle 2018 nfl draft

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    InvaderRam

well. nothing left for me to dwell on at this point except the 2018 nfl draft. rams have the 23rd pick according to bleacher report.

i have no idea who they should select, but it should be on defense. if there’s a cornerback out there. i’d like it to be cornerback. or a pass rusher.

i like vita vea, but i don’t think he makes it that far at this point.

JackPMiller
    Participant

I would like to draft a Left Tackle. Martinas Rankin of Mississippi State, with our first round pick.

I would like to go after Kyle Fuller CB of the Bears in free agency.

There are some really good pass rushers in the 3rd round.

zn

well. nothing left for me to dwell on at this point except the 2018 nfl draft. rams have the 23rd pick according to bleacher report.

i have no idea who they should select, but it should be on defense. if there’s a cornerback out there. i’d like it to be cornerback. or a pass rusher.

i like vita vea, but i don’t think he makes it that far at this point.

I have to agree with Jack that the priority for the 1st round is LOT.

The odds of getting a valid starting caliber LOT after round 2 are very slim. Me saying that comes from actually having looked. As a rule you find LOTs in rounds 1 and 2.

Whitworth is not getting younger.

You can however find CBs, NTS, and 3/4 OLBs in the 3rd round and after. In fact, just looking at the Rams DBs that have played the last few years and look like keepers: Jenkins, Tru, McLeod, Joyner, Johnson, Gaines, Hill, Peterson, Webster, Robey-Coleman, C. Davis. Of all of those there’s not one 1st round pick, and only 2 2nd round picks (with the FAs I am counting their draft year with the previous team). 5 were originally UDFAs.

I don’t know if any LOT is worth the 23rd pick this year, but, assuming one is, that’s the pick IMO.

wv
    Participant

I agree — LT would be my number one priority. A guy that could fill in for Whitworth or Havenstein.

After that…well…I’m never against drafting pass-rushers….but I’m sure Wade knows what he needs.

w
    v

nittany ram

Yeah, drafting a LT with the first pick works for me. This season was the perfect illustration of the importance of a great LT.

canadaram
    Participant

LT would be my hope too. If that’s going to turn into a reach at 23 than I’d be hoping for a pass rusher off of the edge, CB or a TE. If there is a worthy center available I’d be good with that, but good centers can often be found later. I think there are lots of places where the Rams can be upgraded though. Often a good interior LB can be had in the late first round. I would be ok with finding a more traditional LB to replace Barron if a worthy LT wasn’t available when the Rams pick.

"It's nice to be nice to the nice." ~Frank Burns

InvaderRam

i’m not a fan of drafting a left tackle to back up whitworth. not in the first round. if they want to pick one later to develop sure. not in the first round. too many other more pressing needs. whitworth should have one more year left in him.

zn

i’m not a fan of drafting a left tackle to back up whitworth. not in the first round. if they want to pick one later to develop sure. not in the first round. too many other more pressing needs. whitworth should have one more year left in him.

Well, though, IR, as per my earlier post, there’s virtually no such thing as a starting caliber left OT taken after the 2nd round.

From 2006-2015, there have been 122 OTs drafted from round 3 on. Of those, 4 became good starters at LOT. There are others who made it in the NFL but those were all ROTs or OGs. 4 out of 122 is around 3.3%.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/draft-finder.cgi?request=1&year_min=2006&year_max=2015&draft_round_min=3&draft_slot_min=1&draft_slot_max=500&pick_type=overall&pos%5B%5D=t&conference=any&show=all&order_by=default

….

InvaderRam

Well, though, IR, as per my earlier post, there’s virtually no such thing as a starting caliber left OT taken after the 2nd round.

From 2006-2015, there have been 122 OTs drafted from round 3 on. Of those, 4 became good starters at LOT. There are others who made it in the NFL but those were all ROTs or OGs. 4 out of 122 is around 3.3%.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/draft-finder.cgi?request=1&year_min=2006&year_max=2015&draft_round_min=3&draft_slot_min=1&draft_slot_max=500&pick_type=overall&pos%5B%5D=t&conference=any&show=all&order_by=default

….

that’s why i wait until next year to draft that left tackle. whitworth i think has one more good year in him. the only ones who really know for sure are the rams. but i’d let whitworth play one more year at least. then in 2019 draft a left tackle to groom. either for the 2019 season or let him learn behind whit for a year.

a left tackle this year to sit on a bench for 1-2 years is a luxury. but that’s just me. maybe someone just really stands out to them at #23. i don’t know that much about who’s out there.

zn

a left tackle this year to sit on a bench for 1-2 years is a luxury. but that’s just me. maybe someone just really stands out to them at #23. i don’t know that much about who’s out there.

Yeah I don’t know who’s out there either, and which year is better for LOTs.

I will say this on the side of drafting one in 2018 instead of 2019. If Whitworth goes down, they’re pretty much sunk. A 1st round rookie could protect against that. Either way, whether they draft him in 2018 or 2019, he would replace Whitworth and be a 5 year player (with the 5th year option). Then…as all decent LOTs do…get extended. Given all that it’s fine with me personally if he’s on the bench for 1-2 years. Let’s say he is picked in 2018 and is a good one. He would learn behind Whitworth and be a sub that guarantees stability for a year and then inherit the position down the road, and then get extended. So really we’re looking at a 10 year guy (again assuming he’s good and also assuming he’s healthy). That sounds worth it to me.

On top of it, Hav is a FA after 2018 anyway, so if Whitworth is good for 2019, the 2018 pick would be the ROT for a year.

Just thinking out loud and voicing one way to look at all this.

Agamemnon

The way the draft sits, LT figures to be good value at 23.

I think Snead will trade down.

Agamemnon

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.