2018 cap space

Recent Forum Topics Forums The Rams Huddle 2018 cap space

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    zn

Right now the Rams have 51+ M of free cap space.

Actually in a sense they have more. Add Donald’s existing contract, which will get swallowed in any new extension, and they really have nearly another 7 M. So it’s more like just under 58 M.

On top of it they have a ton of free space in 2019. Namely, 91+ M. And that’s before any adjustments or cuts (eg. cut Tavon and it becomes 100 M).

That matters because the Rams have written contracts and extentions where the 2nd year takes the big hit, not the 1st year. So they can park a lot of the contract in 2019.

So I would say that around 58 M is enough to sign Donald, Joyner, and Watkins if they want.

It doesn’t though leave a lot of space for buying some big deal free agent.

….

InvaderRam

So I would say that around 58 M is enough to sign Donald, Joyner, and Watkins if they want.

i’d rather have trujo than watkins.

wv
    Participant

Well they dont need Watkins but i think they do need someone like Watkins. A field-stretcher and a guy that can threaten in the redzone.

w
    v

zn

Well they dont need Watkins but i think they do need someone like Watkins.

My view is, the closest they will get to that is Watkins.

Can’t count on rookies. FAs cost.

JackPMiller
    Participant

How much would it save us, if they release Saffold? I would not be shocked if they would draft a future LOT. Just put him at OG for a year or two.

nittany ram

How much would it save us, if they release Saffold? I would not be shocked if they would draft a future LOT. Just put him at OG for a year or two.

Why would you release the best LG in the league?

nittany ram

I agree. I would like Watkins to come back and he says he definitely wants to come back. I think a full training camp with Goff will do wonders for his productivity.

InvaderRam

I agree. I would like Watkins to come back and he says he definitely wants to come back. I think a full training camp with Goff will do wonders for his productivity.

but how much money is he gonna ask for and what kind of production are you gonna get? i’d pass. they have higher priorities. i like reynolds filling that role. maybe thomas.

snowman
    Participant

Watkins caught eight touchdowns, but outside of that statistic, he was underutilized. I don’t know why. Maybe not enough ball to go around to three good receivers, maybe Gurley was just too good to ignore, maybe Goff needs to improve his reads and be able to find him more often. I dunno. McVay’s offense in Washington included a very good TE. I would rather have a better TE in the starting lineup than Watkins. If we can afford both with re-signing Donald, Tru, Sullivan, and others, then great. If cap space becomes an issue, i would not re-sign Watkins.

InvaderRam

Watkins caught eight touchdowns, but outside of that statistic, he was underutilized. I don’t know why. Maybe not enough ball to go around to three good receivers, maybe Gurley was just too good to ignore, maybe Goff needs to improve his reads and be able to find him more often. I dunno. McVay’s offense in Washington included a very good TE. I would rather have a better TE in the starting lineup than Watkins. If we can afford both with re-signing Donald, Tru, Sullivan, and others, then great. If cap space becomes an issue, i would not re-sign Watkins.

yeah i’d rather the money be spent elsewhere. re-signing sully or another veteran center. trujo, joyner, and donald. depth on the defensive line.

there’s a lot of youth and potential at the offensive skill positions. higbee actually flashed a little at the end. still young. everett. i think thomas or reynolds can be a deep threat. kupp will get way way better than this year. i can feel it. and while he doesn’t do the same things watkins does, he can possibly free up the other receivers to fill that role.

watkins is a luxury. he didn’t show me enough to warrant giving out a big contract.

JackPMiller
    Participant

Why would you release the best LG in the league?

Cap space, and possibly if the Rams do draft an LT, and he could play at LG for a season.

zn

Cap space, and possibly if the Rams do draft an LT, and he could play at LG for a season.

They don’t need cap space. Not in that kind of desperate way anyway.

JackPMiller
    Participant

They don’t need cap space. Not in that kind of desperate way anyway.

Not just cap space, but looking at the possibility of drafting a LT at pick 23. The rookie could start at LG for a season or two, before he is ready to take over at LT. I am high on Martinas Rankin of Mississippi State.

zn

Not just cap space, but looking at the possibility of drafting a LT at pick 23. The rookie could start at LG for a season or two, before he is ready to take over at LT. I am high on Martinas Rankin of Mississippi State.

Well as long as we’re voting, I vote for keeping and starting Saffold. I personally don’t care if a rookie OT is on the bench, 1st pick or not…it would be good depth. And you want your LOT to be with your team for a decade so to me, there’s no rush.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.