2 Snead interviews … 3/29

Recent Forum Topics Forums The Rams Huddle 2 Snead interviews … 3/29

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    zn

==

Les Snead on offseason moves, Sean McVay and Jared Goff

VINCENT BONSIGNORE

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/sean-747818-guys-players.html

PHOENIX – Rams general manager Les Snead sat down for a one-on-one interview with Southern California News Group’s Vincent Bonsignore at the NFL’s spring meetings on Tuesday. Snead touched on a number of subjects ranging from free agency, the potential impact new coach Sean McVay will have on attracting players and monitoring young quarterback jared Goff.

Q: We’re a few weeks into free agency and you made some key additions in left tackle Andrew Whitworth, outside linebacker Connor Barwin, receiver Robert Woods and some others. From where you sit today, how would you assess what the Rams have been able to do?

A: Very satisfied. A player like Andrew Whitworth does so much for us, and not necessarily all on the field at left tackle. We’ve been the youngest team in all of football for the last few years, and now we get a legit leader that gives us that short-term dividend of, if he continues to keep playing the way he has been, left tackle will be a strong point for us. But I also think he will help Rodger Saffold, who is in his prime and playing good football, continue to play good and maybe even help him play the best football of his life. Then moving Greg Robinson, all of a sudden a guy who’s still 23, 24 years old, gets to learn from somebody that’s 12 years older who has had a lot of battles.

Look, it was obvious we needed better play at left tackle, whether that was getting Greg better or bringing someone else in. But I can tell you this. Let’s just say you were able to get an improved player but maybe he didn’t bring all the leadership qualities that (Whitworth) brings. We might not have gone that direction. It was really important for us to get that. Just because, hey, we’re the youngest team in football and while there’s some good core pieces that are going to be a round a long time, let’s bring some real men in and help them pave the way and help our guys who are on the cusp of expedite that process.

Q: In talking to some of your new players, it’s obvious the chance to play for Sean McVay was a big factor. And that, after talking to friends around the league who played for Sean, the feedback was really positive. Is that the sense you guys are getting too?

A: It’s interesting because that was the feedback we got about Sean when we reached out to guys who had played for him during our coaching search. And that seemed to carry over into what we’ve heard during free agency. And it’s interesting because the way our league is structured, Sean’s a young guy and players relate to him. But then when they do their research they figure out, hey by the way, he can help me become a better football player. And when you get to the core of these, guys, that’s what they want.

Q: Can that be a factor that bodes well for you guys in terms of attracting players?

A: I definitely think so. You combine Sean, a young, dynamic coach with the dynamic Los Angeles market. You can throw in weather too. And don’t underestimate the reaction of guys when they see the drawings of the new stadium and how special it will be. All of these ingredients, with a big part being Sean, when guys start thinking: “If I have a chance to (be a free agent) one time, L.A. seems like a cool, happening, on-the-cusp place to go play.

Q: You designated CB Trumaine Johnson with the franchise tag. That creates flexibility to either sign him long term, trade him or let him play put the season with the tag. Is there a general plan in place for how things will proceed moving forward?

A: With Trumaine, it’s important to us to be honest with him. And we’ve laid out a plan of OK, we’ll start with the franchise tag because we certainly didn’t want him to walk. Now we’re going to go through OTAs get to the end of that, and that will be the first time we’ll sit down and say, ‘Can we get something done long term?’ Now, trades are always an element you’ll navigate. You always have to take it case by case, but he’s not someone you’re just going to give away. To make a deal like that it’s got to be a win-win for both sides. In other words, if we lost Trumaine, how does that help the Rams, not only 2017 but into the future?

Q: There are rules in place that prohibit contact right now with players. How does that affect the way you monitor Jared Goff’s offseason work and progress?

A: That’s a frustrating part of this whole process. Because, hey, you know you’ve got a new head coach and a new offense and they’re eager to get started. And you have a young quarterback just as eager. By sheer rules and legalities, which seems totally counterproductive to me, I don’t mind saying that, you have a staff and quarterback who want to be the best they can be but outside forces are coming together to hinder that.

Q: Are you in favor of changing those rules to allow more access to players in the offseason? Especially young quarterbacks?

A: Definitely in favor. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not in favor of going back to a time when we kept everyone around forever and everybody go do the Oklahoma Drill. But I do think there’s a way both sides can think through this successfully. Because I think the players would tell you the same thing: They feel a void at times. So there has to be a solution better than what we have and I’d imagine it’s something that will get discussed and some bright people will come up with a good one. It’s common sense, and usually common sense prevails. Unfortunately it might not prevail as quickly as we’d like, especially from a football perspective. But it’s something that’s percolating.

InvaderRam

I definitely think so. You combine Sean, a young, dynamic coach with the dynamic Los Angeles market. You can throw in weather too. And don’t underestimate the reaction of guys when they see the drawings of the new stadium and how special it will be. All of these ingredients, with a big part being Sean, when guys start thinking: “If I have a chance to (be a free agent) one time, L.A. seems like a cool, happening, on-the-cusp place to go play.

if goff sucks, none of that will matter.

Zooey
    Participant

I definitely think so. You combine Sean, a young, dynamic coach with the dynamic Los Angeles market. You can throw in weather too. And don’t underestimate the reaction of guys when they see the drawings of the new stadium and how special it will be. All of these ingredients, with a big part being Sean, when guys start thinking: “If I have a chance to (be a free agent) one time, L.A. seems like a cool, happening, on-the-cusp place to go play.

if goff sucks, none of that will matter.

Yee-up.

Goff, more than anything else, will determine the Rams’ destiny over the next 5 years, at least.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.