10 Cloverfield Lane

Recent Forum Topics Forums The Public House 10 Cloverfield Lane

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    nittany ram

Very good movie. Intense. Lives up to the hype (unlike “The VVitch’). I know they don’t give oscars to actors in these kind of movies, but I think John Goodman deserves one.

zn

Documentaries don’t interest me that much, frankly.

I felt the same way when I saw Close Encounters.

PA Ram
    Participant

John Goodman is long overdue for an Oscar.

In the meantime Mark Rylance and his bland performance in “Bridge of Spies” gets one.

As for this film? Isn’t this a sequel? The first “Cloverfield” was one of those handheld type things and I wasn’t crazy about it. Is this one really better?

I do love Mary Elizabeth Winstead though. I think she SHOULD get more “serious” type roles. She’s kind of become a bit of a scream queen and she can do more than that.

Maybe I’ll check it out.

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. " Philip K. Dick

zn

Isn’t this a sequel? The first “Cloverfield”

No not a sequel. It’s not made by the same people and does not take place in the same fictional universe. In fact they’re not very much alike. The title of this one is just a deliberate homage to the earlier one.

nittany ram

John Goodman is long overdue for an Oscar.

In the meantime Mark Rylance and his bland performance in “Bridge of Spies” gets one.

As for this film? Isn’t this a sequel? The first “Cloverfield” was one of those handheld type things and I wasn’t crazy about it. Is this one really better?

I do love Mary Elizabeth Winstead though. I think she SHOULD get more “serious” type roles. She’s kind of become a bit of a scream queen and she can do more than that.

Maybe I’ll check it out.

No, as zn said, this is not a sequel and may not even take place in the same fictional universe as the original Cloverfield. I liked the original, but the problem with all those ‘handheld’ films that makes them annoyingly hard to watch is that in reality the guy holding the camera would simply say “f**k this”, drop the camera and run.

The Cloverfield franchise may become sort of an anthology, where you have a bunch of weird but unrelated stories under one name – sorta like the Twighlight Zone, although there has been talk of making a true sequel to 10 Cloverfield Lane.

PA Ram
    Participant

Just got back from seeing it.

SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS!!!!

|
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |

First of all–I really enjoyed the film. The performances were top notch–as I expected. I swear I don’t get why Mary Elizabeth Winsted does not get more dramatic roles. She is a fantastic actress.

Some of my impressions:

It seems like a little story wrapped in a bigger story but the little story is the focus. And more interesting one really. If you were saved from the apocalypse by a madman were you really saved at all? If “Hell” is the trade off for survival would you take it?

I liked that they showed her transformation from someone running all the time to someone ready to stand and fight.

The tension in the shelter had a constant edge. The filmmakers did a great job of that. Anything could happen at any time. That was very solid.

Goodman made a great monster. He was perfect for the role.

The film kept you guessing for awhile.

As for the ending–well, it was maybe a bit over the top–silly. It could have probably been played a little more low-key and kept the mood that worked so well in the shelter–but transferred to the outside world.

But I can hear the studio execs going: “No–bigger–we need bigger. That’s what they pay for.”

So–do I think the ending could have been better? Yes. But I was fine with it and one big reason was because the actress was so skilled switching from one crazy circumstance to an even more insane one. It made me willing to go along.

Overall though–a film I would recommend–and in fact did already to my son and daughter.

Very very good film.

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. " Philip K. Dick

zn

No, as zn said, this is not a sequel and may not even take place in the same fictional universe as the original Cloverfield.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/10_Cloverfield_Lane

10 Cloverfield Lane is a 2016 American science fiction thriller film directed by Dan Trachtenberg (in his directorial debut), written by Josh Campbell, Matthew Stucken and Damien Chazelle, and starring Mary Elizabeth Winstead, John Goodman and John Gallagher, Jr. It is the second film in the Cloverfield franchise. The film was developed from a script titled The Cellar, but under production by Bad Robot Productions, it was turned into a spiritual successor of the 2008 film Cloverfield.

During production, the filmmakers noticed core similarities to Cloverfield,[32] and decided to make the movie what Abrams calls “a blood relative” or “spiritual successor” of that film.[33][34] “The spirit of it, the genre of it, the heart of it, the fear factor, the comedy factor, the weirdness factor, there were so many elements that felt like the DNA of this story were of the same place that Cloverfield was born out of,” said Abrams. In other interviews he explained: “Those characters and that monster [from Cloverfield] are not in this movie, but there are other characters and other monsters,”[34] and “This movie is very purposefully not called Cloverfield 2, because it’s not Cloverfield 2, […] So if you’re approaching it as a literal sequel, you’ll be surprised to see what this movie is. But while it’s not what you might expect from a movie that has the name Cloverfield in it, I think you’ll find that you’ll understand the connection when you see the whole thing.”[35] Trachtenberg stated that 10 Cloverfield Lane does not take place in the same fictional universe as Cloverfield.[36][37] Winstead and Gallagher mentioned that during production they were aware that the movie had thematic similarities to Cloverfield, but did not learn that there would be an official connection until they were informed of the chosen title, only a few days before the release of the trailer.[38] Abrams came up with the title after finishing Star Wars: The Force Awakens.[39][40]

bnw
    Blocked

On a scary scale of 1 being Disney and 10 being a disruption of a nights sleep, where does this movie rate?

The upside to being a Rams fan is heartbreak.

Sprinkles are for winners.

PA Ram
    Participant

On a scary scale of 1 being Disney and 10 being a disruption of a nights sleep, where does this movie rate?

Horror films don’t generally scare me.

The only film I found scary really was “The Exorcist” and I was about 10 years old when I saw it and it was a shocking film for that time.

But it’s really a question of shock and surprise and TENSION. Those are the things I look for in horror films. This film meets that challenge. The acting, as I said, was just so great.

I can see some people perhaps slapping their face at the ending.

But I have another way of looking at the ending too–but I won’t spoil it. 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.